Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Searing NY Times Article on UNC Academics Fraud
Bookmark and Share
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
Great, penetrating article in today's NY Times on the elephant in the room
hovering over all the adulation about North Carolina's NCAA basketball.

When the momentous decision comes, if the NCAA can work up the courage to do it, it will hit like a tornado. The most egregious NCAA sports scandal of all time...makes all others penny ante in comparison.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/31/sport...v=top-news
04-01-2017 06:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribe Fan Offline
Special Teams

RE: Searing NY Times Article on UNC Academics Fraud
Bryant Gumble's HBO Real Sports show broke this story 3-5 years ago. They interviewed former players, professors and a former Dean with each revealing how this cheating was done.
After seeing this I wondered if this was one reason why Mike Paulous transferred to W&M and why he got roughed up so badly when The Tribe played them.
I hope the NCAA takes off their blinders and brings the hammer down on them.
04-01-2017 08:20 AM
Tribe2011 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: W&M
(04-01-2017 06:44 AM)BigTribe3 Wrote:  The most egregious NCAA sports scandal of all time...makes all others penny ante in comparison.

Um... no. Penn St? Baylor? UNC is bad and should absolutely be punished, but it's not even remotely close to the worst college sports scandal of the last 5 years, much less ever. Academic fraud that at the end of the day really affects only the players (and serves them poorly) pales in comparison to covering up dozens of rapes to protect your football program.
04-01-2017 09:57 AM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
(04-01-2017 08:20 AM)Tribe Fan Wrote:  Bryant Gumble's HBO Real Sports show broke this story 3-5 years ago. They interviewed former players, professors and a former Dean with each revealing how this cheating was done.
After seeing this I wondered if this was one reason why Mike Paulous transferred to W&M and why he got roughed up so badly when The Tribe played them.

I don't think there is any connection. Paulus transferred in after his 2009 season at UNC. Also, after the game many UNC players including TJ Yates and others came across to our sideline to check on him.
04-01-2017 10:58 AM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

(04-01-2017 06:44 AM)BigTribe3 Wrote:  Great, penetrating article in today's NY Times on the elephant in the room
hovering over all the adulation about North Carolina's NCAA basketball.

When the momentous decision comes, if the NCAA can work up the courage to do it, it will hit like a tornado. The most egregious NCAA sports scandal of all time...makes all others penny ante in comparison.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/31/sport...v=top-news

Let's also remember the saying about "Those in glass houses..." Just because it happened a long time ago at WM doesn't mean it didn't happen.
04-01-2017 11:06 AM
Advertisement

Rocco Offline
All American

I Root For: William and Mar
When I clicked on the link it didn't load for me. I thought this was an April Fool's joke.
04-01-2017 11:29 AM
Tribe Fan Offline
Special Teams

(04-01-2017 10:58 AM)Tribe1693 Wrote:  
(04-01-2017 08:20 AM)Tribe Fan Wrote:  Bryant Gumble's HBO Real Sports show broke this story 3-5 years ago. They interviewed former players, professors and a former Dean with each revealing how this cheating was done.

I don't think there is any connection. Paulus transferred in after his 2009 season at UNC. Also, after the game many UNC players including TJ Yates and others came across to our sideline to check on him.

During the QB Club meeting following the carolina game Coach mentioned that Mike did not have too many friends still playing football in Chapel Hill.
04-01-2017 12:48 PM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

(04-01-2017 12:48 PM)Tribe Fan Wrote:  
(04-01-2017 10:58 AM)Tribe1693 Wrote:  

During the QB Club meeting following the carolina game Coach mentioned that Mike did not have too many friends still playing football in Chapel Hill.

Ok.
04-01-2017 02:29 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(04-01-2017 09:57 AM)Tribe2011 Wrote:  Um... no. Penn St? Baylor? UNC is bad and should absolutely be punished, but it's not even remotely close to the worst college sports scandal of the last 5 years, much less ever. Academic fraud that at the end of the day really affects only the players (and serves them poorly) pales in comparison to covering up dozens of rapes to protect your football program.

It's hard for me to even think of those as scandals rather than outright crimes. I hear "scandal" and think pay to play or academic fraud, not institutionalized rape and child abuse. How Penn State and Baylor avoided the death penalty is beyond me.
04-01-2017 10:23 PM
Advertisement

Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(04-01-2017 11:29 AM)Rocco Wrote:  When I clicked on the link it didn't load for me. I thought this was an April Fool's joke.

When I clicked on the link initially some ad came up and I had to look carefully to see that there was a button to click to "advance to Times content" (or some such message). Look for that.
04-02-2017 05:00 PM
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
(04-01-2017 10:23 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  
(04-01-2017 09:57 AM)Tribe2011 Wrote:  Um... no. Penn St? Baylor? UNC is bad and should absolutely be punished, but it's not even remotely close to the worst college sports scandal of the last 5 years, much less ever. Academic fraud that at the end of the day really affects only the players (and serves them poorly) pales in comparison to covering up dozens of rapes to protect your football program.

It's hard for me to even think of those as scandals rather than outright crimes. I hear "scandal" and think pay to play or academic fraud, not institutionalized rape and child abuse. How Penn State and Baylor avoided the death penalty is beyond me.

Yeah. This is the one scandal that broke about every NCAA Rule. Paying players, agents on staff, gifts to players, cars to players, tickets (I mean parking and speeding) paid for by academic and athletic staff, lavish parties (Marvin Austin flying players to Miami), no show classes, widespread plagiarism, athletes who aren't literate, trying to cover it up by firing tutors and blaming rogue employees, giving jobs to unqualified recruits' parents (hello Hansbrough's mother in the UNC-CH Hospital system), emailing to simply change grades for players to keep them eligible, etc. Their accreditation is threatened. Players suing because they were promised an education and weren't provided one, etc.

Their spin and obfuscation has worked. They've gotten no punishment so far and people assume there must not be much since there wasn't really a punishment. That department should be shut down entirely.

Another recent article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ncaa...26a3652cf6

Must be nice being an NCAA cash cow that has a media school which produces a lot of the talking heads. In the immortal words of Jerry Tarkanian: "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky it will probably slap another 2 years probation on Cleveland State."

I cannot imagine the wrath which the NCAA would bring down upon the College if we ever did the exact same thing.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2017 03:14 PM by TribeNiner.)
04-04-2017 03:10 PM
Tribal Offline

UNC skates. The NCAA is only interested in crushing lowly programs with feathers in their logo. P5 schools get off scott free so long as the checks clear and the public isn't outraged.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
10-13-2017 09:40 AM
Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

The worst thing about this weak non-action is that the blueprint for cheating under current rules was laid out perfectly. Just make sure a handful of non-athletes are in your bogus classes and all is well. Maybe if adidas sent a few checks to Louisville for a group of regular students the NCAA would leave them alone as well?
10-14-2017 06:46 AM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
The hypocrisy and corrupt nature of the NCAA is on full display.

W&M needs to take advantage.

In this age where diversity is all the rage ...

This is the perfect time to (1) bring back the feathers and (2) restore the Indians nickname.

Do it right. No caricatures. Embrace the local Indian history. Make it a part of the College's curriculum. Embrace the local tribes.

Time to be bold.
10-14-2017 07:00 AM
Tribeheart Online
Heisman

Don't hold UNC accountable for aggregious academic fraud with athletes, then rule freshman, transfer Braxton Beverly ineligible to play this year at NC State, after attending summer school at Ohio State and leaving before playing any basketball, with OSU's blessing after Thad Matta resigned.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2017 02:10 PM by Tribeheart.)
10-14-2017 02:09 PM
SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary
(10-14-2017 07:00 AM)nj alum Wrote:  The hypocrisy and corrupt nature of the NCAA is on full display.

This is the perfect time to (1) bring back the feathers and (2) restore the Indians nickname.

Do it right. No caricatures. Embrace the local Indian history. Make it a part of the College's curriculum. Embrace the local tribes.

Time to be bold.

A GREAT post.
10-14-2017 07:02 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(10-14-2017 07:02 PM)SoCal Frank Wrote:  
(10-14-2017 07:00 AM)nj alum Wrote:  The hypocrisy and corrupt nature of the NCAA is on full display.

Time to be bold.

A GREAT post.

An Indian throwing a flaming spear, whilst riding a Griffin?

Lets just go with the Alabama knockoffs that already exist...Roll Tribe.

Instead of a regular elephant, we get the Woolly Mammoth.

No "Bama" but "Waama Maama"
10-14-2017 07:14 PM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
I would like to point out the obvious hypocrisy of this issue.

On Monday, several jurisdictions celebrated Indigenous Peoples Day, instead of Columbus Day. One reason given is that Columbus "killed" indigenous people.

Yet, indigenous people, aka Indians, as a mascot is allegedly offensive, and W&M "killed" the Indian as a mascot.

You can't make this stuff up. Ridiculous.

What is offensive is the caricature, not the name.

Time to be bold, William and Mary, and reinstate the Indians in honor of the local indigenous population.

Make the announcement on Columbus Day 2018.

Talk about publicity!
10-15-2017 07:47 AM
Tribal Offline

NEW YORK -- A jury on Wednesday convicted the three defendants accused of pay-for-play schemes to influence high-profile basketball recruits to attend Kansas, Louisville and NC State.
Adidas employee James Gatto, former Adidas consultant Merl Code and Christian Dawkins, a former runner for NBA agent Andy Miller, were found guilty after a three-week criminal trial in federal court in New York.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
10-24-2018 02:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.