Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2017 Spring Analysis/Observations
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
2017 Spring Analysis/Observations
We had a nice sunny day, but almost too sunny since it was hard to tell the players' numbers.

Offense- Folks we have a bundle of really good RBs, maybe the collective best I can remember. Brewer (5-9 200) looked even better than last year in spots and spirts. Warren (509 205) is back and taking up where he left off from 2015 as well. Also, I was glad to see our "big back", Javon Thomas (6-2 240) on the field for the first time. He may fill the roll of "banger" like Langer was in 2015 and Flanders last year.

The QBs were a mixed bag from my seat. At times they looked great, at others just average. So I think they will have to fully develope over the summer months. President started and Skipper came in after. I don't know if that means that is the pecking order or not, but thats what happened. I didn't see them running the option ride/read much if at all where the QB either hands off or keeps it. I think we will see that a lot next season. The passes on the short stuff was fine, but we still need work on throws beyond 15 yards. Some of those deep throws looked like they were up for grabs.

The wideouts looked fine, but you could tell we may not have a lot of depth their. Nigel Carter (6-3 205) may start since he made a nice grab or two.

The OLIne looked fine, but not battle ready. Their run blocking was better than their pass protection.

The defensive line looks pretty stout to me and that Brubaker (6-3 270) is really good. I think he may end up All-AAC next year. A little bigger, quicker and meaner. He was listed at DT, not DE and if he puts on 5 or 10 pounds and gets to 280lbs, he could be playing on Sundays. The LBers were just average. We might need a little help there, but they are collectively young since we graduated Martin and Linscott. The secondary played pretty well, but with a young QB corps, my observation could be deceptive.

The PKer was Redford Jones - I think - and he made some very nice FG attempts from a fairly long distance.

The highlight was the quality and quantity of backs we have and their potential. We will look a lot like last year, next year.

IMHO
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2017 11:20 PM by rabidTU2.)
04-09-2017 02:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
RE: 2017 Spring Analysis/Observations
I didn't get seated until about 11:45 so there's probably quite a bit I missed (although I did get season tickets!) but it surprised me that Skipper's stats were better than President's after what I saw. I thought President played a little better, but I missed the beginning too.

Also, I thought the starting defensive line played well. Of course they were going against the 2's on the O-line, but still. The defense may keep up the upward trend they've been on the last 2 years. Especially if the new linebackers come along quickly.
04-11-2017 01:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.