Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ULM dropping to FCS?
Bookmark and Share
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
ULM dropping to FCS?
https://ulmhawkeyeonline.com/20855/sport...l-success/

Several things from this is that ULM is under contract with the Sunbelt until 2019. Need to really verify that.

Also, ULM has no OOC games schedule from 2020 and beyond.

This will get NMSU a chance to have a football spot in the Sunbelt, but I don't think they'll be a full conference member as it still is too far away from the footprint for the Olympics sports.

So in essence, the WAC may have NMSU for quite sometime in the near future.
06-09-2017 10:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
RE: ULM dropping to FCS?
SBC has made it clear that they do not want NMSU. If ULM did leave, which I do not see them doing, SBC would replace them with and FCS school in the SBC footprint.
06-09-2017 12:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
The SBC might well take NMSU. The western school (Texas State, Louisiana, Arkansas State, UTA, UALR) were in favor, both for pedigree, especially in Basketball and academic ranking. But Benson and the new schools he brought in wanted a 6th eastern school. ULM is in the West, so NMSU as a replacement would not cause any major problem. The issue they had before was NMSU would have been the travel partner for Appalachian State. Bu this would not be an issue if they replace ULM (Texas State would partner with ULL, so it'd be UTA as NMSU partner)

As a Basketball conference, it would be far easier for NMSU to win than the WAC. There is not a single strong or well funded program. The WAC has two other well funded (GCU and SU) and a third competitive program (CSUB). Even though the bottom is worse (may not be soon with Chicago State replaced by greater resourced Cal Baptist and the steadily growing program at UT-RGV, in terms of resources anyway).

But we are way ahead of ourselves. ULM is a deep south school, and people from there will cut lunch money for kids before they cut football, and this includes the African-American community. (this is said with sarcastic hyperbole)
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2017 01:58 PM by Stugray2.)
06-09-2017 01:58 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(06-09-2017 12:16 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  SBC has made it clear that they do not want NMSU. If ULM did leave, which I do not see them doing, SBC would replace them with and FCS school in the SBC footprint.

NMSU was dropped due to the requirement of needing only 10 teams so I guess it depends if the SBC would want to add another full member. They could split the NCAA tourney credits with one less team. Unless ULM will just drop football and continue as a non-football member like UTA and UALR.

I still see NMSU as a football only member if this happens and not stating a full member move.
06-09-2017 03:27 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(06-09-2017 03:27 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(06-09-2017 12:16 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  SBC has made it clear that they do not want NMSU. If ULM did leave, which I do not see them doing, SBC would replace them with and FCS school in the SBC footprint.

NMSU was dropped due to the requirement of needing only 10 teams so I guess it depends if the SBC would want to add another full member. They could split the NCAA tourney credits with one less team. Unless ULM will just drop football and continue as a non-football member like UTA and UALR.

I still see NMSU as a football only member if this happens and not stating a full member move.

ULM will not leave because they cannot afford the loss of revenue. They got $1.5 million from college football playoff revenue this past season and another $2.8 million on money games at OU, Auburn and New Mexico. As NMSU determined, it is hard to replace the revenue from FBS football.

It is a little strange that ULM has not scheduled a non-conference game for 2020, but that does not mean they are dropping down to FCS. If they did drop (hypothetically), I think the SBC would grab a school for all-sports that would be east of my school in San Marcos. Travel has become a major issue in the SBC, as it is in many other conferences.
06-09-2017 03:59 PM
Advertisement

SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Seattle U
NMSU wont get the call if this happens. EKU is still there, James Madison might finally accept the SBC, Jacksonville State as always too. Or, the SBC will just go ahead and invite Liberty
06-10-2017 01:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Although a Liberty invite would make a ton of sense, it won't happen because a lot of the conference presidents would be against such a move, which I wish my speculation were not true, but deep down, I suspect that it is.
JMU had their chance and blew it!!! I don't think the SunBelt presidents will look kindly on JMU in the future, with the memory of the JMU snub fresh in their minds. The best JMU can hope for now is the MAC and the MAC hasn't shown any inclination toward expansion.

That leaves us with EKU & JSU, which are hardly inspiring choices.
06-10-2017 02:51 AM
Advertisement

SDHornet Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Sac State
(06-09-2017 03:59 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  
(06-09-2017 03:27 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

ULM will not leave because they cannot afford the loss of revenue. They got $1.5 million from college football playoff revenue this past season and another $2.8 million on money games at OU, Auburn and New Mexico. As NMSU determined, it is hard to replace the revenue from FBS football.

It is a little strange that ULM has not scheduled a non-conference game for 2020, but that does not mean they are dropping down to FCS. If they did drop (hypothetically), I think the SBC would grab a school for all-sports that would be east of my school in San Marcos. Travel has become a major issue in the SBC, as it is in many other conferences.
And lost those games by a combined score of 176-41 on their way to a 4-8 season. They are literally sacrificing their season to keep the doors open. This is a great example of the unsustainable situation these bottom tear FBS programs face.

OT: Their AD applied for our open AD position last spring. His presentation in the open forum session was very delusional and he had no clear grasp of the issues facing our situation.
06-10-2017 04:29 PM
FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU Aggies

If they drop to FCS, the Sun Belt has to find a western school and there are no FCS schools in the west ready to move up so they will have to go with NMSU.
06-17-2017 10:41 PM
WACfan86 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTRGV
IF ULM does drop down to FCS..... Hello Southland and good bye TAM-CC. Just my hunch.
07-27-2017 09:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.