Currently mobile....away from the house or on the 'throne.'
08-20-2017 12:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Clarity Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
RE: Ziggy Q & A
I saw that. It's awesome that upgrading basketball facilities is a priority. Also confirmed that they want to stay on campus. Hopefully they are seriously looking at a new arena or expanding the Icardo dramatically. Really hope that happens soon. I think they will give it a more serious look after this year where I expect most games to be sold out if not every game. There's no way they can just do nothing if that happens. So I don't think that they will move to the Rabobank short term. Seems like a new arena is more likely to happen. I think the funding is close to there.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2017 01:47 PM by Clarity.)
08-20-2017 01:30 PM
flynhome Offline
Water Engineer

(08-20-2017 01:30 PM)Clarity Wrote:  I saw that. It's awesome that upgrading basketball facilities is a priority. Also confirmed that they want to stay on campus. Hopefully they are seriously looking at a new arena or expanding the Icardo dramatically. Really hope that happens soon. I think they will give it a more serious look after this year where I expect most games to be sold out if not every game. There's no way they can just do nothing if that happens. So I don't think that they will move to the Rabobank short term. Seems like a new arena is more likely to happen. I think the funding is close to there.

"I think the funding is close to there". I would be very interested to hear where you think there is 50-60 million dollars available in the Cal State University system, County of Kern, City of Bakersfield, or with any local private corporation.
08-20-2017 02:53 PM
Clarity Offline
Special Teams

Not all of it but I believe with fundraising, donations and possible CSU support they could get there. The NCAA report had them making $15 million on athletics this year and they don't spend a lot of it.
08-20-2017 03:12 PM
Advertisement

RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

I'm not an engineer, but I really don't see how the Icardo Center could be expanded at all, much less to the capacity that would be required to reach the 5-6k target.
To the east, there is the swim complex. These would be end-court seats, not good seats for basketball, imo. To the west is the lobby and road.
Besides the footpring, then there is the issue of what would be needed to bring the walls up to load bearing strength.

If anyone with engineering, construction background reads this, please comment and add to the discussion. Maybe it COULD be expanded...for all I know.

If/when attendance warrents a change, I'm really more in favor of a move back downtown. I'm sure the students like campus, but the Robobank, (with a decent sized crowd) and its suits, porch, beer, food choices offers a more comfortable overall experience for the average fan and alum.

Plus, the new freeway (Westside Parkway) makes it pretty easy to get in and out of downtown for the people who live in Stockdale and much of Rosedale.

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2017 03:24 PM by RunnerBall.)
08-20-2017 03:15 PM
Clarity Offline
Special Teams

Ziggy said they want to remain on campus and that's why I am ruling out Rabobank. I don't think it's going to happen. It doesn't seem like CSUB has any interest in moving there for the short term.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2017 03:18 PM by Clarity.)
08-20-2017 03:18 PM
flynhome Offline
Water Engineer

(08-20-2017 03:12 PM)Clarity Wrote:  Not all of it but I believe with fundraising, donations and possible CSU support they could get there. The NCAA report had them making $15 million on athletics this year and they don't spend a lot of it.

Mr. Clarity, with all due respect, you are living in a dream world...
08-20-2017 03:19 PM
Advertisement

Clarity Offline
Special Teams

$15 million is a lot of money for one year of earnings. A few years and the funding will be there. I think you are underestimating. It's pretty clear Ziggy wants it to happen.
08-20-2017 03:28 PM
flynhome Offline
Water Engineer

(08-20-2017 03:28 PM)Clarity Wrote:  $15 million is a lot of money for one year of earnings. A few years and the funding will be there. I think you are underestimating. It's pretty clear Ziggy wants it to happen.

I don't know where that 15 million figure came from; but, do you REALLY think that is PROFIT to put in your pocket. How do you think they pay for scholarships, travel for 14 or 15 teams, some with squads as big as 25 to travel all over the United States, pay for facility maintenance & upgrades etc. There is no profit for schools like CSUB that are trying to compete in Div. 1. Sorry, I have no facts or figures, I just live in the real world...
08-20-2017 04:05 PM
Clarity Offline
Special Teams

08-20-2017 04:09 PM
Advertisement

RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

I think this is where Clarity is getting the number, correct? (CSUB #168)

The term "profit" is misused here. Revenues are gross, that is before the expenses are calculated.
In reality, most schools (excepting the BIG guys; Michigan, Texas, etc) have revenues=expenses in the bookkeeping.

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2017 04:19 PM by RunnerBall.)
08-20-2017 04:18 PM
flynhome Offline
Water Engineer

(08-20-2017 04:09 PM)Clarity Wrote:  http://www.bakersfield.com/sports/athlet...f.amp.html

Mr. Clarity, please read the whole article; true, they raised $14,876,887, two lines below that figure it states, "Characteristic of college athletic departments, the schools expenses rose in near lockstep with its revenues-meaning that nearly every new dollar was spent somewhere across the department".
08-20-2017 04:25 PM
flynhome Offline
Water Engineer

(08-20-2017 04:18 PM)RunnerBall Wrote:  http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

I think this is where Clarity is getting the number, correct? (CSUB #168)

The term "profit" is misused here. Revenues are gross, that is before the expenses are calculated.
In reality, most schools (excepting the BIG guys; Michigan, Texas, etc) have revenues=expenses in the bookkeeping.

RB, thanks for the info...
08-20-2017 04:34 PM
Advertisement

ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GCU
(08-20-2017 04:09 PM)Clarity Wrote:  http://www.bakersfield.com/sports/athlet...f.amp.html

So did the 2nd and 3rd parts of this article come out yet. The article said they would appear August 13th and August 20th. If yes, I'd love to read them.
08-20-2017 08:59 PM
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

(08-20-2017 08:59 PM)ProfScott Wrote:  

So did the 2nd and 3rd parts of this article come out yet. The article said they would appear August 13th and August 20th. If yes, I'd love to read them.

Yah, sorry. Ive been so busy with school starting up and working in my classroom lately. I'll post it on the other thread for consistency.
08-20-2017 09:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.