Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Some NC State Sh*t
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
Some NC State Sh*t
Jacoby Brissett is supposed to start this weekend, so along with Mike Glennon, Russell Wilson, and Philip Rivers, NC State will have one eighth of all the starting QB's in the NFL.

Over the 16 years that those four played 12 years at State (Rivers played 4), (Glennon played 3), (Russell played 3) and (Brissett played 2) the results were:

No ACC Title, No ACC Division Title, No Major Bowl. River's best year was 11-3 with a win over ND in the Gator Bowl. Wilson's best year was 9-4 with a win over West Virginia in the Russell Athletic Bowl. Neither Glennon or Brissett won over 8 in a season.

The year after Rivers graduated, NC State then started a defense that eventually produced two first round draft picks. They never had a decent QB and Wilson started the year after they left for the NFL.

Rivers, Rivers, Rivers, Rivers, Dud, Dud, Dud, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Glennon, Glennon, Glennon, Dud (not just Dud, not even a P-5 level QB), Brissett, Brissett.

So what are the "lowlights" of those years?

1. After and 8-0 start, go 3-3 down the stretch losing to GT, MD, and Clemson by a total of about 11 points in 2002
2. Losing to Ohio State on a stopped 4th and Goal in 2003
3. Losing the next year to Ohio State on a stopped 4th and Goal in 2004
4. Punting away the ACC Atlantic title to Clemson in 2010
5. Punting away a game to UNC by kicking to Gio Bernard 2013
6. Pissing away a game to VT in 2010 that made the Clemson game of that year crucial
7. Coming out flat for Tennessee in 2012
8. Losing to FSU after leading most of the game 2015 and having nothing at all in the tank the next week at Clemson

Folks will have to excuse me if I have a date or two off, I'm doing this from memory.

That's a total of 6 NFL starting QB's in the last 55 years at NC State (Gabriel in the early 60's and Erik Kramer in the late 80's).

So where was State's defense all those years? Often they were in Chapel Hill waiting for a NFL level quarter back.

That takes us up to this year where we start the first play of the season by giving up a touchdown to South Carolina on the opening kick.

Isn't amazing that so many people keep buying tickets year after year?

So, what will be the NC State Sh*t this year? Having Clemson and or Louisville on the ropes only to lose at the last second? Or will it be a moribund loss to BC or Syracuse on a cold, raw day where State scratches out less than 10 points? Perhaps it will be the winning touchdown against ND called back after a lengthy booth review?

Anyway I was bored so I decided to get this off my chest.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2017 09:27 PM by lumberpack4.)
09-15-2017 09:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
RE: Some NC State Sh*t
(09-15-2017 09:26 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  1. After and 8-0 start, go 3-3 down the stretch losing to GT, MD, and Clemson by a total of about 11 points in 2002

That remains one of the most inexplicable wins I can remember a GT team having. That was Chan Gailey's first year. The QB was AJ Suggs who may be the worst QB I've ever seen for GT (TN transfer). And the team was gutted by Flunkgate because Chan thought he could be all NFL hands off on academics so a ton of people failed, which caused The Hill to drop the hammer.

And somehow in all this ... with GT reeling and down late in the game ... AJ Suggs somehow someway stumbles his way down the field for several critical 4th quarter drives when GT absolutely had to have them.
09-15-2017 11:45 PM
MKPitt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Pitt
Over the last 30 years, NC State and Pitt have been kindred spirits. Both teams tend to find inexplicable ways to lose close games especially when the game is important.
09-16-2017 04:14 AM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
I read the other day that Pitt and Syracuse are the only current Power conference teams that have not had a perfect non-conference record any season in the last 27 years.

Clearly some schools only play powder-puff opponents but it's still an ugly stat.
09-16-2017 09:28 AM
Advertisement

MKPitt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Pitt
(09-16-2017 09:28 AM)CollegeCard Wrote:  I read the other day that Pitt and Syracuse are the only current Power conference teams that have not had a perfect non-conference record any season in the last 27 years.

Clearly some schools only play powder-puff opponents but it's still an ugly stat.

These are Pitt's non-conference losses with Pitt's wins over power-5 teams in parentheses. 2008, 2009 and 2013 were the best chances. In '08, Pitt beat Iowa and Notre Dame only to lose to Bowling Green. In Syracuse and Pitt's defense though for most seasons both were playing 5 non-conference games with 2 or 3 power 5 teams per year.

1991-Notre Dame, East Carolina and Penn State (beat Minnesota and Maryland)
1992-Maryland, Notre Dame, East Carolina and Penn State (beat Minnesota)
1993-Ohio State, Louisville and Notre Dame
1994-Texas, Ohio State and Louisville
1995-Texas and Ohio State (beat Washington State)
1996-Houston, Ohio State and Notre Dame
1997-Penn State and Notre Dame
1998-Penn State and North Carolina
1999-Penn State (beat Notre Dame)
2000-North Carolina (beat Penn State)
2001-USF and Notre Dame
2002-Texas A&M and Notre Dame
2003-Toledo and Notre Dame (beat Texas A&M)
2004-Nebraska (beat Notre Dame)
2005-Notre Dame, Ohio, and Nebraska
2006-Michigan State (beat Virginia)
2007-Michigan State, Virginia and Navy
2008-Bowling Green (beat Iowa and Notre Dame)
2009-NC State (again beat Notre Dame)
2010-Utah, Miami and Notre Dame
2011-Iowa, Notre Dame and Utah
2012-Youngstown State and Notre Dame (beat Virginia tech)
2013-Navy (beat Notre Dame)
2014-Iowa and Akron
2015-Iowa and Notre Dame
2016 Oklahoma State (beat Penn State)
09-16-2017 10:07 AM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
When I moved to North Carolina in 1973, I was told that NC State football would always struggle due to a curse put on them by the UNC Board of Governors. It seems those distinguished gentlemen were incensed by State's provocative act of choosing as its mascot an animal notorious for preying on helpless sheep.

I have no idea what Pitt's problem is. 07-coffee3
09-16-2017 10:12 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Why is it UNC and NC State never seem to be able to put together a complete team, but Wake Forest and Duke can do it?

[Image: game-of-thrones-the-night-king.jpg?quali...;strip=all]
09-16-2017 12:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(09-15-2017 11:45 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(09-15-2017 09:26 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  1. After and 8-0 start, go 3-3 down the stretch losing to GT, MD, and Clemson by a total of about 11 points in 2002

That remains one of the most inexplicable wins I can remember a GT team having. That was Chan Gailey's first year. The QB was AJ Suggs who may be the worst QB I've ever seen for GT (TN transfer). And the team was gutted by Flunkgate because Chan thought he could be all NFL hands off on academics so a ton of people failed, which caused The Hill to drop the hammer.

And somehow in all this ... with GT reeling and down late in the game ... AJ Suggs somehow someway stumbles his way down the field for several critical 4th quarter drives when GT absolutely had to have them.

Tech won that game the same way MD did - Amato was so uptight after the 8-0 start that offensive play selection became ultra-conservative using the same theory San Diego has used for the last decade - keep it even until late in the 4th and let Rivers win it for you.

IIRC he is the most prodigious 4th quarter QB in NFL history, but what happens is that you leave yourself no margin for error so a mental mistake by one of the other 10 guys costs you the game, and sometimes even Rivers fails.
09-16-2017 03:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.