RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: Nebraska AD Out
(09-21-2017 01:13 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Lincoln Journal Star
@JournalStarNews

BREAKING: Eichorst out as NU athletic director, per @RonnieDGreen #Huskers

Riley could be next....

WOW! Riley is next right after we beat them Saturday.
09-21-2017 01:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Nebraska will let their next AD hire the next football coach, meaning that Riley is essentially an interim head coach until the end of the season. No need to make an announcement on Riley until after the new AD is on the job, at the earliest.
09-21-2017 01:25 PM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland & Elon
Riley's seat went from warm to scorching hot. What's his contact say? Length and cost of buy out?
09-21-2017 01:27 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

(09-21-2017 01:25 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Nebraska will let their next AD hire the next football coach, meaning that Riley is essentially an interim head coach until the end of the season. No need to make an announcement on Riley until after the new AD is on the job, at the earliest.

They could let him go and let an assistant have a crack at it for a few games to see how he does. Especially if they lose this weekend to Rutgers.
09-21-2017 01:28 PM
Advertisement

RutgersGuy Offline
All American

(09-21-2017 01:27 PM)TerpsNPhoenix Wrote:  Riley's seat went from warm to scorching hot. What's his contact say? Length and cost of buy out?

They just him a one year extension. haha then he lost to NIU right afterwards. Thats why the AD got fired abruptly.
09-21-2017 01:29 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
It's about time.

They have to stop the slow but steady decline.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2017 01:32 PM by HeartOfDixie.)
09-21-2017 01:32 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
So I assume Oregon AD Rob Mullens and UCF AD Danny White (Scott Frost) has to be a strong candidates to replace the outgoing AD.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2017 01:38 PM by CliftonAve.)
09-21-2017 01:36 PM
megadrone Offline
1st String

(09-21-2017 01:32 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  It's about time.

How much of their success can be attributed to Tom Osborne, and how much to the Big 8 Conference?

They don't have the walk-on program they used to -- kids go elsewhere for the scholarship.
09-21-2017 01:37 PM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(09-21-2017 01:13 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Lincoln Journal Star
@JournalStarNews

BREAKING: Eichorst out as NU athletic director, per @RonnieDGreen #Huskers

Riley could be next....

The POWER of Larry the Cable Guy...... 02-13-banana

All kidding aside, This pretty much means the end of the Riley tenure. If he loses to Rutgers (which I picked) I'd bet he'll be bounced before Monday.

In a way this could be a good thing. They can take time and hire a new AD who'll have the chance to bring in a coach that can hopefully bring the Huskers back to some level of prominence . It would be good for NU and good for the B1G.
09-21-2017 01:42 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC

Due to demographics, changes in partial qualifiers, elimination of the county scholarships, it may now be terminal. And there are some other reasons as well.
09-21-2017 02:00 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Wasn't there some demand for Les Miles to head that way?

He would be a good fit I think, but it has to be someone who can recruit nationally.
09-21-2017 02:40 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

(09-21-2017 02:40 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Wasn't there some demand for Les Miles to head that way?

He would be a good fit I think, but it has to be someone who can recruit nationally.

Possibly, but I have to wonder Nebraska's interest considering Miles will be 64 in November. I know there have coached into their 70s and even 80s in the past, but I think given the salaries these guys command nowadays the incidents of these guys coaching into their 70s is over. At best Miles would be a transitional coach for them. I think they would want a younger guy to start something could last much longer.
09-21-2017 03:01 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Someone on Twitter suggested that Bielema might take the Nebraska job as a way to bail out of Arkansas' situation. That might work. I would be surprised if Nebraska could land anyone significantly better right now.

Of course, the last time Nebraska hired someone eager to bail out of a fading situation, that guy was Mike Riley.
09-21-2017 03:13 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
Two national championships, the best being the volleyball one in 2015, but it didn't matter. Tom Osborne only picked up two as well as AD...his work as the football coach did all of the talking. Neither could recapture football dominance with their coaches, though.

Eichorst even saw the rare feat of a NCAA men's basketball tournament invitation.

Doesn't seem to matter. The message is sent...at Nebraska, it's football or nothing.

Of course, if football is supposed to succeed, why join the Big Ten?
09-21-2017 04:02 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(09-21-2017 03:13 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Someone on Twitter suggested that Bielema might take the Nebraska job as a way to bail out of Arkansas' situation. That might work. I would be surprised if Nebraska could land anyone significantly better right now.

Of course, the last time Nebraska hired someone eager to bail out of a fading situation, that guy was Mike Riley.

Honestly I think Bielema would be successful at Nebraska because of the culture of the conferences. He had success running his style offense in the Big Slow before, and the defenses he will face there will not be anywhere near as athletic as he ones he faces in the SEC. Remember it was just two years ago that Iowa ran roughshod over the Big Slow West with essentially the same scheme.
09-21-2017 04:52 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange
(09-21-2017 01:37 PM)megadrone Wrote:  

How much of their success can be attributed to Tom Osborne, and how much to the Big 8 Conference?

They don't have the walk-on program they used to -- kids go elsewhere for the scholarship.

Am I wrong in thinking that during the Big 8 days, Nebraska had a pipeline to some Texas HS talent? But after leaving the Big 12 for the Big 10 that pipeline dried up?
09-21-2017 07:51 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(09-21-2017 04:52 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(09-21-2017 03:13 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Someone on Twitter suggested that Bielema might take the Nebraska job as a way to bail out of Arkansas' situation. That might work. I would be surprised if Nebraska could land anyone significantly better right now.

Honestly I think Bielema would be successful at Nebraska because of the culture of the conferences. He had success running his style offense in the Big Slow before, and the defenses he will face there will not be anywhere near as athletic as he ones he faces in the SEC. Remember it was just two years ago that Iowa ran roughshod over the Big Slow West with essentially the same scheme.

^^^ THIS ^^^. Bielema (who, coincidentally, may be looking to change jobs soon anyway) is probably the best candidate/fit.
09-22-2017 06:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

(09-21-2017 07:51 PM)texasorange Wrote:  
(09-21-2017 01:37 PM)megadrone Wrote:  

Am I wrong in thinking that during the Big 8 days, Nebraska had a pipeline to some Texas HS talent? But after leaving the Big 12 for the Big 10 that pipeline dried up?

Out of curiosity I pulled up the roster for their 1993-94 team which eventually won the national championship. Most of the players on this roster derived from either Nebraska, California, Florida, Illinois, NJ, Oklahoma and Texas.

Looking at their roster today the biggest states are still Nebraska, California, Florida, Illinois and Texas. They're not getting the numbers out of Jersey or Oklahoma like they did back then, but they are recruiting more out of Louisiana and Georgia.

I noticed that the number of players coming out of Texas and California is basically the same as the 1993-94 team. Of course, the bigger issue is are they getting the same quality of players from those states.
09-22-2017 08:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.