Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wall Street Journal article on the "financial adviser" who helped the FBI
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
Wall Street Journal article on the "financial adviser" who helped the FBI
This is an article from Monday's Wall Street Journal on Marty Blazer, the "financial adviser" who spent more than 2 years helping the feds build their BasketballGate case in the hopes of getting a reduced sentence for his own misdeeds.

Very interesting story. Long article, well worth a read:

The Man Who Exposed College Basketball

Quote:Marty Blazer couldn’t believe what he had gotten himself into. By this summer, the Pittsburgh investment adviser had spent months crisscrossing the U.S., passing cash to coaches at some of the country’s top college basketball programs. None of them seemed to know he was secretly helping federal authorities build one of the biggest alleged bribery and corruption cases in college sports history.

“This is surreal stuff,” Mr. Blazer told a person familiar with the investigation. “They just keep sticking their hand out.”
10-01-2017 09:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: Wall Street Journal article on the "financial adviser" who helped the FBI
tl;dnr

Was it a straight sting operation, or did the FBI have evidence before this guy?
10-02-2017 08:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(10-02-2017 08:53 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  tl;dnr

Was it a straight sting operation, or did the FBI have evidence before this guy?

I remember reading somewhere, during the first couple of days the news broke, that this Marty guy was in trouble for fraud and he mentioned to the feds that this stuff was going on and he had sources, or something like that. I got the impression that he brought this to the feds attention for them to go easier on him, after he was going up the creek for fraud.
10-02-2017 09:19 AM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I'm not interested in subscribing to the wsj just to read this article. Did it tell us anything we didn't already get from what the FBI announced?
10-02-2017 09:43 AM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(10-02-2017 09:19 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(10-02-2017 08:53 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  tl;dnr

I remember reading somewhere, during the first couple of days the news broke, that this Marty guy was in trouble for fraud and he mentioned to the feds that this stuff was going on and he had sources, or something like that. I got the impression that he brought this to the feds attention for them to go easier on him, after he was going up the creek for fraud.

What appears to be different with Blazer is that he went to much greater lengths on his own to get evidence for the feds than most "cooperating witnesses" do.
10-02-2017 10:04 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Sounds like a sweet deal. Commit fraud and the FBI will help you expand your business. The FBI arrests all your clients so no messy lawsuits. You keep the windfall!
10-02-2017 01:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.