RE: Week 12 Sunbelt Projections
All I can say is Heaven help TxSt.
11-12-2017 11:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Artemis Silver Bow Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TROY
(11-12-2017 11:25 AM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  All I can say is Heaven help TxSt.

After that South Alabama loss. It would not be a shocker to me if Arkansas State lost 2 possibly 3 of their last 4 regular season football games
11-12-2017 11:36 AM
AppinVA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.

Dead cat bounce.
11-12-2017 11:37 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT

One of the better teams in the conference playing one of the worst . . .

. . . really going out on a limb there, aren'tcha fella . . .
11-12-2017 11:38 AM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
(11-12-2017 11:36 AM)Artemis Silver Bow Wrote:  

After that South Alabama loss. It would not be a shocker to me if Arkansas State lost 2 possibly 3 of their last 4 regular season football games

Wouldn't go that far....this one game is not the norm of their season much like Troy that one loss was a anomaly. If they come out Flat against Texas State then Id be worried if I was them.

App on the other hand has skated by many games and finally got burnt
11-12-2017 11:39 AM
Advertisement

slycat Online
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
stAte was averaging over 40 a game. TXSTs defense doesn't have the depth for four quarters. TXST has won only two FBS games in two years but both were on the road.

TXST should lose by at least 14 but if they win it'll be worth every crappy moment of the last 3 years.
11-12-2017 12:03 PM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
(11-12-2017 11:36 AM)Artemis Silver Bow Wrote:  

Well I could have said heaven help TxSt, ULM and Troy, but lets take them one at a time.
11-12-2017 12:11 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(11-12-2017 12:03 PM)slycat Wrote:  stAte was averaging over 40 a game. TXSTs defense doesn't have the depth for four quarters. TXST has won only two FBS games in two years but both were on the road.

TXST should lose by at least 14 but if they win it'll be worth every crappy moment of the last 3 years.

Here's my view after seeing state in a couple of games.

1) Keep pressure on Hansen from the center of the line. It appears that Ark State's plan is to use short passes to the sidelines to spread out the defense then have Hansen just run North/South if there's nothing there. He's really effective if you let him do that and they will beat you. What you must do is jam the line while covering the short pass routes. If Ark State isn't rattled, he'll probably burn you on a deep throw or two, but that's better than having them win time of possession with long drives that will sap your defense by the 2nd half. You let Hansen run up the middle, he will...and he will burn you.

2) I've said it before, and I'll say it again....state appears to have some weakness in their special teams. Even on fair catches, get in the guys face and see if you can get a drop like has happened in a couple of state games. You don't need to worry about trying to protect your receiver on punts and kickoffs as State will usually trade ground to try to prevent you from runbacks. That means you can try to pressure the kicker more.

3) Our passing game sucks, but we were able to move the ball against them in the air. I have no idea about a running game, because we don't have one. It looks like they leave the middle open more than the sidelines on passing routes.

Beating them in Jonesboro is going to be a tall order. Its unlikely they'll get rattled like they may have been on the road. But just work on what you can do, and go from there.
11-12-2017 12:57 PM
USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
(11-12-2017 12:57 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(11-12-2017 12:03 PM)slycat Wrote:  stAte was averaging over 40 a game. TXSTs defense doesn't have the depth for four quarters. TXST has won only two FBS games in two years but both were on the road.

1) Keep pressure on Hansen from the center of the line. It appears that Ark State's plan is to use short passes to the sidelines to spread out the defense then have Hansen just run North/South if there's nothing there. He's really effective if you let him do that and they will beat you. What you must do is jam the line while covering the short pass routes. If Ark State isn't rattled, he'll probably burn you on a deep throw or two, but that's better than having them win time of possession with long drives that will sap your defense by the 2nd half. You let Hansen run up the middle, he will...and he will burn you.

2) I've said it before, and I'll say it again....state appears to have some weakness in their special teams. Even on fair catches, get in the guys face and see if you can get a drop like has happened in a couple of state games. You don't need to worry about trying to protect your receiver on punts and kickoffs as State will usually trade ground to try to prevent you from runbacks. That means you can try to pressure the kicker more.

3) Our passing game sucks, but we were able to move the ball against them in the air. I have no idea about a running game, because we don't have one. It looks like they leave the middle open more than the sidelines on passing routes.

Beating them in Jonesboro is going to be a tall order. Its unlikely they'll get rattled like they may have been on the road. But just work on what you can do, and go from there.

Number 1 is the key.

We used basically the same game plan we used against Troy. Take away the run game, take away the short pass game and force them to beat you deep. Neither team could do it consistently enough. Hansen was similar to Silvers in that they both crumble under enough pressure.
11-12-2017 01:11 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times

No one gets anything up the gut vs Troy. We get a ton of pressure on the QB and stuff the inside run with our DTs. They may be the best unit on the team, and it's why we're currently siting at 6th nationally in run defense. Hansen's best bet is to run outside when he's being blitzed. We leave a pocket open for a mobile QB to gain some yards on the outside.

Our special teams on returns are fantastic. We're 2nd nationally in kick returns, but if they won't kick it us it's moot. We're not very good at covering returns, so I can see us getting burned there a few times.

Neal Brown offenses do attack the middle a lot, but only after we've dinked and dunked the sidelines. If they take away the perimeter throws we won't be able to open up the middle of the field.
11-12-2017 01:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(11-12-2017 01:20 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  

No one gets anything up the gut vs Troy. We get a ton of pressure on the QB and stuff the inside run with our DTs. They may be the best unit on the team, and it's why we're currently siting at 6th nationally in run defense. Hansen's best bet is to run outside when he's being blitzed. We leave a pocket open for a mobile QB to gain some yards on the outside.

Our special teams on returns are fantastic. We're 2nd nationally in kick returns, but if they won't kick it us it's moot. We're not very good at covering returns, so I can see us getting burned there a few times.

Neal Brown offenses do attack the middle a lot, but only after we've dinked and dunked the sidelines. If they take away the perimeter throws we won't be able to open up the middle of the field.

Blaise has dropped several punts this year. He usually gets them back but not last night. You saw where we run our backs. Into the backs of our offensive line. On two of the interceptions last night our receivers need not to pop them into the air. USA did well in the tip drill.
11-12-2017 02:56 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU

I fully expect we'll kick it to you guys. We'll force Jones to prove he can beat us before we actually just kick it into the end zone.
11-12-2017 03:19 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-12-2017 03:19 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

I fully expect we'll kick it to you guys. We'll force Jones to prove he can beat us before we actually just kick it into the end zone.

That would be a mistake, IMHO. I don't agree with Ark State's kicking policy generally, but I would consider employing it against Troy. If I'm the special teams coordinator at Ark State, I'd be concentrating on simply catching the ball on punts more than anything else. I would especially avoid letting Jones touch the ball on kickoffs.
11-12-2017 03:38 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
(11-12-2017 03:38 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

That would be a mistake, IMHO. I don't agree with Ark State's kicking policy generally, but I would consider employing it against Troy. If I'm the special teams coordinator at Ark State, I'd be concentrating on simply catching the ball on punts more than anything else. I would especially avoid letting Jones touch the ball on kickoffs.

You have no f'n idea what you are talking about. Blaise Taylor is at worst the 2nd best punt returner in the history of Sun Belt FB.
11-15-2017 07:19 PM
USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
(11-15-2017 07:19 PM)WinstonTheWolf Wrote:  
(11-12-2017 12:57 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Here's my view after seeing state in a couple of games.

You have no f'n idea what you are talking about. Blaise Taylor is at worst the 2nd best punt returner in the history of Sun Belt FB.

01-wingedeagle
11-15-2017 07:42 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-12-2017 12:57 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Here's my view after seeing state in a couple of games.

I've seen 3 Ark State games all year. In 2 of them he appeared to be the conference champion in 'fumbling fair catches'. Subtract 50 yards from any punt returner for each turnover on a fair catch and recalculate. That's how I'd view it. Dropped fair catchers are a big no-no. Its basically worse than most turnovers, because it usually gives the opponent the ball deep in your territory, it demoralizes a defense because they just stopped the other team and now....back on the field.

I'm probably being too harsh...but if you fumble fair catches regularly....no other statistic really matters IMHO.
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2017 08:02 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
11-15-2017 07:54 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

(11-15-2017 07:54 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(11-12-2017 01:20 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  No one gets anything up the gut vs Troy. We get a ton of pressure on the QB and stuff the inside run with our DTs. They may be the best unit on the team, and it's why we're currently siting at 6th nationally in run defense. Hansen's best bet is to run outside when he's being blitzed. We leave a pocket open for a mobile QB to gain some yards on the outside.

I've seen 3 Ark State games all year. In 2 of them he appeared to be the conference champion in 'fumbling fair catches'. Subtract 50 yards from any punt returner for each turnover on a fair catch and recalculate. That's how I'd view it. Dropped fair catchers are a big no-no. Its basically worse than most turnovers, because it usually gives the opponent the ball deep in your territory, it demoralizes a defense because they just stopped the other team and now....back on the field.

I'm probably being too harsh...but if you fumble fair catches regularly....no other statistic really matters IMHO.

You lazy, ignorant bastards . . . this was before this season started .
.png  Blaise Taylor Punt Returns.PNG (Size: 97.87 KB / Downloads: 167) [Image: attachment.php?aid=9197]
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2017 08:11 PM by WinstonTheWolf.)
11-15-2017 08:10 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-15-2017 08:10 PM)WinstonTheWolf Wrote:  
(11-12-2017 03:19 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I fully expect we'll kick it to you guys. We'll force Jones to prove he can beat us before we actually just kick it into the end zone.

... [Image: attachment.php?aid=9197]

Again, if you drop the ball regularly, it really negates most of that yardage advantage for the game. I'm sure there's a reason why he's still the punt returner with those drops, but again, if you're dropping the ball and especially fumbling it....it really should count against your yardage significantly. At a minimum, a dropped and fumbled fair catch flips the field. It usually leads to points.
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2017 08:20 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
11-15-2017 08:18 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

(11-15-2017 08:18 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(11-15-2017 08:10 PM)WinstonTheWolf Wrote:  
(11-12-2017 03:38 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  That would be a mistake, IMHO. I don't agree with Ark State's kicking policy generally, but I would consider employing it against Troy. If I'm the special teams coordinator at Ark State, I'd be concentrating on simply catching the ball on punts more than anything else. I would especially avoid letting Jones touch the ball on kickoffs.

... [Image: attachment.php?aid=9197]

Again, if you drop the ball regularly, it really negates most of that yardage advantage for the game. I'm sure there's a reason why he's still the punt returner with those drops, but again, if you're dropping the ball and especially fumbling it....it really should count against your yardage significantly. At a minimum, a dropped and fumbled fair catch flips the field. It usually leads to points.

I remember exactly one punt return fumble in Blaise Taylor's career. Maybe there have been more, but he's sure-handed in general and you are clueless.
11-15-2017 08:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.