Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Trump brings home $84 BILLION for WV
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
As the Post notes, nobody heard about this. China is investing $84 Billion (with a B) in West Virginia in petrochemical plants.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/18/why-no-one...ging-deal/
11-19-2017 11:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
RE: Trump brings home $84 BILLION for WV
Oh yay that should help their environmental issues.
11-19-2017 11:50 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Great news for those folks that have been looking for a decent job, earn an honest check, and not looking for another generation of addiction and dependance on gubment overlords.

That, and that’ll fix or rebuild a heck of a lot of stills.

Of course, only a devoted leftist would find some predictable downside to this...

Yawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-19-2017 12:21 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(11-19-2017 11:50 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Oh yay that should help their environmental issues.
Huh? Have you ever been to WV? It is beautiful. States like California, NY, and NJ have environmental issues.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
11-19-2017 01:26 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Winning
11-19-2017 01:34 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
I'm currently reading Gray Mountain by John Grisham. It completely paints a different picture of West Virginia (and Virginia and Kentucky, and coal country in general).
11-19-2017 01:39 PM
Advertisement

EagleX Offline
Wake me when the suck is over

I Root For: Southern Miss
(11-19-2017 01:39 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I'm currently reading Gray Mountain by John Grisham. It completely paints a different picture of West Virginia (and Virginia and Kentucky, and coal country in general).

I feel awkward mentioning this, but you do realize that grisham writes fiction, right?
11-19-2017 01:59 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
"Yes, Gray Mountain is fiction. But after reading this book, you'll believe heroic action must be taken."

USA Today review

I've also watched Blood on the Mountain on Netflix.

Guess that's what I get for continuing to pay attention to the liberal media and networks.
11-19-2017 02:03 PM
EagleX Offline

(11-19-2017 02:03 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  "Yes, Gray Mountain is fiction. But after reading this book, you'll believe heroic action must be taken."

USA Today review

Guess that's what I get for continuing to pay attention to the liberal media and networks.

well, if you read it in the usa today, I guess it must be true. 03-2thumbsup03-nerner

the dude that wrote that stirring call to arms masquerading as a book review got surplussed at the usat 6 months later. I wonder if he's still a happy social justice warrior after his instrument of social justice sent his ass to the glue factory.
11-19-2017 02:22 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Reports are saying that investment will, of course, come in over an extended period of time. For those that don't know, the Kanawha Valley (where the state capital, Charleston, is located) has long been known as chemical valley. Companies like DuPont and Dow Chemical built massive facilities there back in the 40s and 50s.

They are saying that the first $36b of investment will lead to 101,000 jobs, and that's in a state with only 1.8m residents. Not all the jobs will be in WV, will also impact eastern KY and southern OH. The investment will actually improve the environmental situation of the area. Upgrades to aging facilities, improvements in technology and efficiency, new river transportation facilities, are all positives.

If this comes to pass, there is no downside to the region.
11-19-2017 02:24 PM
EagleX Offline

admirable. but to a certain extent, wva is empty calories. he needs to find $85 billion foreign investments for PA, WI, and MI. they punched his ticket.
11-19-2017 02:29 PM
Advertisement

banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(11-19-2017 02:29 PM)EagleX Wrote:  admirable. but to a certain extent, wva is empty calories. he needs to find $85 billion foreign investments for PA, WI, and MI. they punched his ticket.

Yeah, I couldn't disagree with that more. To an extent, WV is the poster child for the expanding rust belt economy. A turn around in the fortunes there shows that a turnaround can happen in the worst parts of those other states. Plus it hits at the heart of a Trump campaign promise as it pertains to helping those who were killed by Obama and his anti coal policies.

I understand what you are saying, but look at the percentages Trump pulled not only in WV, but in the bordering counties of the contiguous states. His margins in southern OH, SW PA and eastern KY are what allowed him to overcome deficiencies in the major metro areas of those states.
11-19-2017 02:39 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(11-19-2017 02:03 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  "Yes, Gray Mountain is fiction. But after reading this book, you'll believe heroic action must be taken."

USA Today review

So you are for throwing all those people out of work. That's how you will help them.

I suggest you don't go to West Virginia with those sentiments.
11-19-2017 03:13 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(11-19-2017 03:13 PM)bullet Wrote:  

USA Today review

So you are for throwing all those people out of work. That's how you will help them.

I suggest you don't go to West Virginia with those sentiments.
What Happened?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
11-19-2017 03:17 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
When Trump won, we were deluged with how America would be isolated from the rest of the world. Reasons given, his America first policies on trade and how other world leaders wouldn't be able to stand working with him. Well, the MSM is doing their best to not cover his successes in working and making good deals with other countries. Not only on the world stage but here at home too. According to Goldman Sachs, if you think the economy was good in 2017, hold on, 2018 will be better. The MSM can continue to not cover Trump's wins on the economy, but people benefiting from the economy will know.
11-19-2017 04:43 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

(11-19-2017 01:39 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I'm currently reading Gray Mountain by John Grisham. It completely paints a different picture of West Virginia (and Virginia and Kentucky, and coal country in general).

Lol.

Well great.

You ever been to any of those places?

Most of the land/wilderness has likely never been trod upon, and if so, only by hikers, hunters and trappers.

You could get lost for WEEKS in some of the set aside parks roun these parts.

Pack a bag and a tent and come for a visit.

Well set aside a feedbag wit some vittlesv for ya, city slicker...
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2017 05:59 PM by JMUDunk.)
11-19-2017 05:54 PM
Advertisement

Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
"Yes, Gray Mountain is fiction. But after reading this book, you'll believe heroic action must be taken."

LOL WUT

03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2017 06:30 PM by Kronke.)
11-19-2017 06:06 PM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Born and raised in Southern Ohio coal country....the land still has some scars, but it's mostly to a point now where you have to know where to go and look to find them. Nature has done a pretty good job of engulfing what was once obvious. Still a few streams - creeks we call them - that have runoff that makes them largely dead, but no rivers.

Those places in the Ohio Valley as well as others are in dire need of middle class jobs and I can tell you right now, they will be willing to risk a bit of environmental stuff to get them.
11-19-2017 06:24 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

(11-19-2017 02:29 PM)EagleX Wrote:  admirable. but to a certain extent, wva is empty calories. he needs to find $85 billion foreign investments for PA, WI, and MI. they punched his ticket.

And if the WV economy improves (again, I've got a friend who is from that area, and they always tell me it's pretty much what you imagine... HORRIBLE situation for people needing jobs).

Then other states are going to open their eyes and say.. well, what can you do for us as well?
11-20-2017 09:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

(11-20-2017 09:04 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  

And if the WV economy improves (again, I've got a friend who is from that area, and they always tell me it's pretty much what you imagine... HORRIBLE situation for people needing jobs).

Then other states are going to open their eyes and say.. well, what can you do for us as well?

Exactly.

And that’d be a great thing for a change of pace, or better put- what can WE do to attract more business, industry, jobs that pay well enough for a good life?

This isn’t some kind of a handout, it’s an investment of capital to create these jobs and get thousands of folks back to work.

Just think if we could do this 10 fold? Or better 50 (57?) fold and lift all boats?

Business of America is business.

Let’s get to it.
11-20-2017 09:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.