Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UofL has higher standards than Duke and UNC
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2017 11:46 AM by Dasville.)
11-22-2017 11:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dasville Offline
Heisman

RE: UofL has higher standards than Duke and UNC
Wouldn’t be something if Bowen sued the University for breach of contract? He signed a legal LOI to play ball. UofL is holding itself to a higher standard than the NCAA!
11-22-2017 11:52 AM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
(11-22-2017 11:52 AM)Dasville Wrote:  Wouldn’t be something if Bowen sued the University for breach of contract? He signed a legal LOI to play ball. UofL is holding itself to a higher standard than the NCAA!

Bowen really can't, as he is STILL on scholarship, and will remain so for the rest of the year.

A scholly doesn't guarantee you playing time. It only allows you to go to school without having to pay for that.

So U of L is not in danger of being sued by Brian Bowen or his family.
11-22-2017 12:11 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(11-22-2017 12:11 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  
(11-22-2017 11:52 AM)Dasville Wrote:  Wouldn’t be something if Bowen sued the University for breach of contract? He signed a legal LOI to play ball. UofL is holding itself to a higher standard than the NCAA!

Bowen really can't, as he is STILL on scholarship, and will remain so for the rest of the year.

A scholly doesn't guarantee you playing time. It only allows you to go to school without having to pay for that.

So he can dress and be part of the team and sit the bench right? UofL isn’t kicking him off the team right? It was an Athletic Scholarship right?
11-22-2017 12:16 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

If I were Bowen and his reps I would sue UofL all day long. I would also raise issue with Vince. The AD is telling the coach who he can and can’t play? Who would work in that environment. Bowen signed a contract to play basketball at UofL. He is academically eligible as far as I know. It’s a contract. Vince is ruling above the NCAA.
This situation looks sad.
11-22-2017 12:23 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(11-22-2017 12:16 PM)Dasville Wrote:  
(11-22-2017 12:11 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  

So he can dress and be part of the team and sit the bench right? UofL isn’t kicking him off the team right? It was an Athletic Scholarship right?

Nope ... he can't dress, or practice with the team, or sit the bench or have anything to do with the basketball team.

That is NOT what an athletic scholarship gives you.
11-22-2017 12:26 PM
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(11-22-2017 12:23 PM)Dasville Wrote:  If I were Bowen and his reps I would sue UofL all day long. I would also raise issue with Vince. The AD is telling the coach who he can and can’t play? Who would work in that environment. Bowen signed a contract to play basketball at UofL. He is academically eligible as far as I know. It’s a contract. Vince is ruling above the NCAA.

Uh ... you're waaaaaaay off on this man.

Professors can tell a coach who can play or not. So certainly an AD can do the same if eligibility concerns arise.

Bowen can sue if he wants ... but he has ZERO case.
11-22-2017 12:27 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(11-22-2017 12:27 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  
(11-22-2017 12:23 PM)Dasville Wrote:  If I were Bowen and his reps I would sue UofL all day long. I would also raise issue with Vince. The AD is telling the coach who he can and can’t play? Who would work in that environment. Bowen signed a contract to play basketball at UofL. He is academically eligible as far as I know. It’s a contract. Vince is ruling above the NCAA.

Uh ... you're waaaaaaay off on this man.

Professors can tell a coach who can play or not. So certainly an AD can do the same if eligibility concerns arise.

Bowen can sue if he wants ... but he has ZERO case.

So there really there is NO athletic scholarships. They are ALL academic. Whatever?
11-22-2017 12:32 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

If every sport is a club sport in college, no limit on players. As soon as you limit players, it becomes an “athletic scholarship”. If an academically eligible player is prohibited from playing by the AD over the coaches head that is legal. But it’s a whole new can of worms.
Again, as always, this is just my opinion.
11-22-2017 12:37 PM
HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
(11-22-2017 12:23 PM)Dasville Wrote:  If I were Bowen and his reps I would sue UofL all day long. I would also raise issue with Vince. The AD is telling the coach who he can and can’t play?

Dude. You have to calm down or you'll pop.

I am sorry what happened happened too. But you must let it go. Tom and Rick are gone, too many scandals happened on their watch and UofL is moving forward. I am so sorry it hurts your heart and your soul but you will heal.

....just remember...... It's not your fault., It's not your fault.....
11-22-2017 01:04 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(11-22-2017 12:37 PM)Dasville Wrote:  If every sport is a club sport in college, no limit on players. As soon as you limit players, it becomes an “athletic scholarship”. If an academically eligible player is prohibited from playing by the AD over the coaches head that is legal. But it’s a whole new can of worms.
Again, as always, this is just my opinion.

Trust me ... it's not a new can of worms to keep a kid suspected of receiving $19,500 (on the way to $100,000) for committing to play a sport for your school, away from the team.

This is the ONLY move U of L could make.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2017 03:29 PM by Pervis_Griffith.)
11-22-2017 03:28 PM
Advertisement

krux Offline
Banned

Sue for violation of what law? lol

Calm down dude. An athletic scholarship is just a tuition agreement not guaranteed PT. Otherwise anyone that redshirt or doesn't perform well enough to enter the rotation would sue right and left. Funny thing is I bet you hate participation trophies and yet here you are basically arguing a lawsuit for them.
11-22-2017 04:41 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(11-22-2017 04:41 PM)krux Wrote:  Sue for violation of what law? lol

Calm down dude. An athletic scholarship is just a tuition agreement not guaranteed PT. Otherwise anyone that redshirt or doesn't perform well enough to enter the rotation would sue right and left. Funny thing is I bet you hate participation trophies and yet here you are basically arguing a lawsuit for them.

I would like to hear someone familiar with contract law to weigh in. I prefaced my statements by saying “if I were Bowen”.
FBI cleared him. We didn’t wait to hear from NCAA. We are basically saying he is dirty goods. Kid came to play for UofL and signed a legal contract. Money is attached to the contract(via scholarship). I hope that Bowen sues the NCAA to force UofL to allow him to be on the basketball team. He will get the playing time he earns based on practice and CDP’s decisions.
11-22-2017 05:13 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I'm siding with the UofL on this one. There's no basis for a lawsuit & there's nothing that says that the NCAA can't or won't declare him ineligible at a later time. They have done it before. Look at what happened to Memphis. If the other schools want to chance it that's on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-22-2017 05:46 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(11-22-2017 05:46 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  I'm siding with the UofL on this one. There's no basis for a lawsuit & there's nothing that says that the NCAA can't or won't declare him ineligible at a later time. They have done it before. Look at what happened to Memphis. If the other schools want to chance it that's on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ANY student athlete can be ruled ineligible at any time. The FBI has screwed this kid 1000 x’s over. UofL could force the NCAA’s hand to make a decision on his eligibility. We took the low road. Sad. Best wishes to Bowen and if I were him I would file suit against UofL and the NCAA. Our administration knows their shoes cause their head is always down.
11-22-2017 06:04 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

Bowen should look into UNC. They fight for their kids.
11-22-2017 06:11 PM
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(11-22-2017 05:13 PM)Dasville Wrote:  

I would like to hear someone familiar with contract law to weigh in. I prefaced my statements by saying “if I were Bowen”.
FBI cleared him. We didn’t wait to hear from NCAA. We are basically saying he is dirty goods. Kid came to play for UofL and signed a legal contract. Money is attached to the contract(via scholarship). I hope that Bowen sues the NCAA to force UofL to allow him to be on the basketball team. He will get the playing time he earns based on practice and CDP’s decisions.

The FBI cleared him of criminal wrong doing --- they did NOT clear him from any issue involving violating NCAA rules.

The FBI gives two craps about violating NCAA rules.
11-22-2017 06:38 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(11-22-2017 06:04 PM)Dasville Wrote:  ANY student athlete can be ruled ineligible at any time.

YEP. And Bowen was just made ineligible at U of L.

(11-22-2017 06:04 PM)Dasville Wrote:  The FBI has screwed this kid 1000 x’s over.

Uh .... what??? How??

(11-22-2017 06:04 PM)Dasville Wrote:  UofL could force the NCAA’s hand to make a decision on his eligibility. We took the low road. Sad.

U of L is hardly in a place where we can look the NCAA in the eye and say "hey ... we're a model of institutional integrity. We dare you to rule this kid ineligible."

(11-22-2017 06:04 PM)Dasville Wrote:  Best wishes to Bowen and if I were him I would file suit against UofL and the NCAA.

Best wishes to Bowen --- zero case against U of L. Even worse case against the NCAA. Just horrific advice.

(11-22-2017 06:04 PM)Dasville Wrote:  Our administration knows their shoes cause their head is always down.

01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2017 06:43 PM by Pervis_Griffith.)
11-22-2017 06:42 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(11-22-2017 06:38 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  
(11-22-2017 05:13 PM)Dasville Wrote:  

The FBI cleared him of criminal wrong doing --- they did NOT clear him from any issue involving violating NCAA rules.

The FBI gives two craps about violating NCAA rules.

Tell me EXACTLY what the FBI ruled on Bowen. What I have read clears him of both knowledge and actions of NCAA violations. UofL knee jerked a decision on this. If UofL is privy to information not publicly known, that in itself may be illegal imo.
11-22-2017 06:44 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

Is UofL firing Bowen? Sure looks like it.
11-22-2017 06:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.