Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Surprised this board is silent on Fisher to A&M rumors
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I know they're just rumors at this point, but fans have gotten their knickers in a knot for far less.
11-27-2017 03:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
RE: Surprised this board is silent on Fisher to A&M rumors
What is there to say? Us FSU fans go through this every year. It's Jimbo Circus fatigue at this point...being held up for more money by Jimbo and Jimmy Sexton has literally been an annual occurrence since even before we originally hired him as offensive coordinator.

I'm fine if he wants to stay. I'm fine if he goes. We might might go into a decade-long tailspin if he goes. We might go into decade long tailspin if he stays. There are no guarantees in this game, see UF in the post-Meyer era, with all the resources in the world.

I don't begrudge him an ounce for looking at other jobs, maximizing his leverage, etc. If he wants to go, I'll tip my hat and thank him...this isn't Lane Kiffin bolting to USC after a year. Fisher has more than delivered on his part of the bargain.

However, I'm about sick of the public game he and Billy Sexton play in public every year. I'm sure it damages recruiting when your coach literally will never commit to being at a school longer than the end of the sentence he is currently uttering. It's got to make it harder to recruit assistants. You would think a guaranteed $45M contract, if it doesn't buy actual loyalty, would at least buy not having this public display literally every year.

And I'm actually a little pissed about it this year. Business is business...but currently Jimbo has plenty on his plate:
1) Recruiting, especially with an early signing period. We've got no QB in the class and no prospects, and have made literally no recruiting noise for months. Even if he stays, this will be a lost year in recruiting
2) A change up of nearly his entire staff. Jimbo needs to replace and recruit up to at least 7-8 members of his staff at some point post season
3) Prepare for another game to gain bowl eligibility and avoid ending one of the longest streaks of all time
4) Continue to develop a promising but true freshman QB

In other words, there is a LOT on his plate for FSU, particularly this week, and he's dedicating focus to this A&M courtship and how to squeeze more money out of FSU. I've got a problem with that. If you can't forego the game in this particular situation, when you're 5-6, and commit to the issues at hand, that's a real disservice. At this point, I'll actually have more respect for him if he leaves than if wrangles a couple more frozen yogurt machines out of the administration and he stays. If the guys leaves because he's just ready to go...fine.

I'm absolutely happy to have him back, I don't want him to go, but I think this constant game is ultimately going to continue to affect what are already diminishing returns. You can't tell me it doesn't affect recruiting, especially with a brand new coach in UF and Richt in Miami that won't be the subject of hot seat rumors any time soon. We got a break by Golden/Muschamp/McElwain fiascos that meant even with a wandering eye Jimbo looked like the most stable coach in the state. Those days are gone.

I hope the administration doesn't budge this time to just buy him for another 12 months, and he he should do whatever is actually in his heart at this point, either way.

My gut feeling is he's gone. As much as his leverage is decreasing with FSU, he's got to start to be losing credibility with the other sides of his little menage a trois every year. A&M sources are reporting him signed sealed and delivered...three straight years of basically leading people to believe they had a deal only to leave them at the altar has to eventually diminish him and Sexton's credibility. How many more times is he going to draw suitors to that well? I think he probably has to go at this point.
11-27-2017 05:42 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
Who would FSU look to for a head coach if he leaves?
11-27-2017 05:54 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(11-27-2017 05:42 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  What is there to say? Us FSU fans go through this every year. It's Jimbo Circus fatigue at this point...being held up for more money by Jimbo and Jimmy Sexton has literally been an annual occurrence since even before we originally hired him as offensive coordinator.

I'm fine if he wants to stay. I'm fine if he goes. We might might go into a decade-long tailspin if he goes. We might go into decade long tailspin if he stays. There are no guarantees in this game, see UF in the post-Meyer era, with all the resources in the world.

I don't begrudge him an ounce for looking at other jobs, maximizing his leverage, etc. If he wants to go, I'll tip my hat and thank him...this isn't Lane Kiffin bolting to USC after a year. Fisher has more than delivered on his part of the bargain.

However, I'm about sick of the public game he and Billy Sexton play in public every year. I'm sure it damages recruiting when your coach literally will never commit to being at a school longer than the end of the sentence he is currently uttering. It's got to make it harder to recruit assistants. You would think a guaranteed $45M contract, if it doesn't buy actual loyalty, would at least buy not having this public display literally every year.

And I'm actually a little pissed about it this year. Business is business...but currently Jimbo has plenty on his plate:
1) Recruiting, especially with an early signing period. We've got no QB in the class and no prospects, and have made literally no recruiting noise for months. Even if he stays, this will be a lost year in recruiting
2) A change up of nearly his entire staff. Jimbo needs to replace and recruit up to at least 7-8 members of his staff at some point post season
3) Prepare for another game to gain bowl eligibility and avoid ending one of the longest streaks of all time

In other words, there is a LOT on his plate for FSU, particularly this week, and he's dedicating focus to this A&M courtship and how to squeeze more money out of FSU. I've got a problem with that. If you can't forego the game in this particular situation, when you're 5-6, and commit to the issues at hand, that's a real disservice. At this point, I'll actually have more respect for him if he leaves than if wrangles a couple more frozen yogurt machines out of the administration and he stays. If the guys leaves because he's just ready to go...fine.

I'm absolutely happy to have him back, I don't want him to go, but I think this constant game is ultimately going to continue to affect what are already diminishing returns. You can't tell me it doesn't affect recruiting, especially with a brand new coach in UF and Richt in Miami that won't be the subject of hot seat rumors any time soon. We got a break by Golden/Muschamp/McElwain fiascos that meant even with a wandering eye Jimbo looked like the most stable coach in the state. Those days are gone.

I hope the administration doesn't budge this time to just buy him for another 12 months, and he he should do whatever is actually in his heart at this point, either way.

My gut feeling is he's gone. As much as his leverage is decreasing with FSU, he's got to start to be losing credibility with the other sides of his little menage a trois every year. A&M sources are reporting him signed sealed and delivered...three straight years of basically leading people to believe they had a deal only to leave them at the altar has to eventually diminish him and Sexton's credibility. How many more times is he going to draw suitors to that well? I think he probably has to go at this point.

Ditto for Malzahn, great year's end and all of that. Jimmy Sexton is a Tennessee grad and has fingers in the pies of the top programs in the Big 12, SEC, ACC and now a couple on the Big 10 too.

Auburn folks finally wanted Tubberville to leave simply because of Sexton. We loved Tubby and despised the extortion that ruined the final few games of every season when his name was up for some other gig and all to extort money. He represented Chizik but the precipitous decline ended that one before he could extort us other than Chiz's first year when he won with Tubberville's recruits. Now with Gus it's the same schtick every year.

I wish Auburn would seek the best possible coach who is not represented by Sexton so we could get out of the grasp of this annual garbage.

So I totally agree with your evaluation and sentiment in this post.
11-27-2017 06:15 PM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
Jimbo has put himself between a rock and a hard place. I believe he was using A&M to gain leverage against FSU and now has taken it too far. He knows A&M is a step backwards, but he also needs to save face. Frankly, I would let him go if I'm FSU and go after a young up and comer like Willie Taggart.
11-27-2017 07:44 PM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

(11-27-2017 06:15 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-27-2017 05:42 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  What is there to say? Us FSU fans go through this every year. It's Jimbo Circus fatigue at this point...being held up for more money by Jimbo and Jimmy Sexton has literally been an annual occurrence since even before we originally hired him as offensive coordinator.

Ditto for Malzahn, great year's end and all of that. Jimmy Sexton is a Tennessee grad and has fingers in the pies of the top programs in the Big 12, SEC, ACC and now a couple on the Big 10 too.

Auburn folks finally wanted Tubberville to leave simply because of Sexton. We loved Tubby and despised the extortion that ruined the final few games of every season when his name was up for some other gig and all to extort money. He represented Chizik but the precipitous decline ended that one before he could extort us other than Chiz's first year when he won with Tubberville's recruits. Now with Gus it's the same schtick every year.

I wish Auburn would seek the best possible coach who is not represented by Sexton so we could get out of the grasp of this annual garbage.

So I totally agree with your evaluation and sentiment in this post.

Yep. It's a business, but there's a way to do business that's not detrimental to your program. This isn't it. This is a way a doing business solely for the benefit of Jimmy Sexton and his clients.

I can't wait until schools start pushing back against his clients. It's one thing to be a shark at the negotiating table, it's another to be deliberately damaging to the school. Two schools really...it's not just unfair to FSU, it's unfair to Texas A&M. I'm sure LSU felt wonderful about getting this treatment the last couple years and ending up with the result they did.

The track record of coaches at schools beyond the first 6-7 years is not good outside Saban. Yes, Dabo is stretching that a bit, but the chances are with a coach in Jimbo's tenure that you're a lot more likely to be headed into Mack Brown, Bob Stoops, Mark Richt territory than a Saban machine. People forget that even Urban Meyer, with two national titles, had well worn out his welcome at Florida by the end.

So if the guy doesn't really want to be here, I'm not going to cry my eyes out about it.
11-28-2017 09:49 AM
Advertisement

Lou_C Offline
1st String

I think Willie Taggart is the hottest name, but I also think they'll take a shot at Frost. I don't think Frost is out of the question even though he turned down UF and is supposedly earmarked to Nebraska.

After than, Norvell would probably be a candidate. Maybe Brohm, not sure about that fit. I thought Chad Morris' name would come up, but maybe he hasn't done enough yet. I don't fully understand Gary Patterson's contract situation, but that's probably the "biggest" name that's an outside possibility.
11-28-2017 09:52 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(11-28-2017 09:52 AM)Lou_C Wrote:  I think Willie Taggart is the hottest name, but I also think they'll take a shot at Frost. I don't think Frost is out of the question even though he turned down UF and is supposedly earmarked to Nebraska.

After than, Norvell would probably be a candidate. Maybe Brohm, not sure about that fit. I thought Chad Morris' name would come up, but maybe he hasn't done enough yet. I don't fully understand Gary Patterson's contract situation, but that's probably the "biggest" name that's an outside possibility.

Would FSU be willing to try to outbid Penn State for Franklin? Too expensive?
What about up-and-comer Matt Campbell at Iowa State? Too unproven?
11-28-2017 10:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
(11-28-2017 10:20 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(11-28-2017 09:52 AM)Lou_C Wrote:  I think Willie Taggart is the hottest name, but I also think they'll take a shot at Frost. I don't think Frost is out of the question even though he turned down UF and is supposedly earmarked to Nebraska.

Matt Campbell has a 10 million dollar buyout. That's a tough pill to swallow for a 7-5 coach.
11-28-2017 10:39 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

Franklin isn't the answer, but his OC is. Joe Morehead would do a sensational job at FSU. But I'm hoping Morehead stays at Penn State just until Dino Babers wears out his welcome in Upstate NY.
11-28-2017 10:44 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-28-2017 10:44 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  

Franklin isn't the answer, but his OC is. Joe Morehead would do a sensational job at FSU. But I'm hoping Morehead stays at Penn State just until Dino Babers wears out his welcome in Upstate NY.

OTOH, imagine Babers' offense with FSU's players...
11-28-2017 12:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
I think FSU should let him go and add either Willie Taggart or Jeff Brohm.
11-28-2017 12:53 PM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I don't think Franklin is outside the realm of possibility, but I'm also not sure he excites the fan base as much as he probably should based on his standing in the national media. If it takes $7m a year or something to get Franklin, I'm not sure I'm sold on that.

Campbell is probably off the market with his new contract.
11-28-2017 05:18 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
I hope Jimbo goes....please take Jimbo

He's incredibly overrated, and his staff is awful....

There's plenty of coaches out there that could win with FSU's talent level....

Matt Canada
Greg Schiano
Brent Venables
Dino Babers
Kevin Sumlin

Hell, maybe even Lane Kiffen or Steve Sarkisian

FSU oozes talent, it's not hard to win there if you know what you're doing
11-28-2017 05:22 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Why would you go to A&M a year after turning down LSU? He would be better off at Tennessee. I don't think that it would be that big of a loss for FSU if he did leave, they have been in a decline since Winston left. Strong, Frost, Taggert or even Sumlin or McElwain could steady the program.
11-28-2017 05:22 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I think Willie Taggert would jump at the chance to coach FSU. And he would make the Noles damn near unstoppable.
11-28-2017 06:36 PM
Advertisement

krux Offline
Banned

I don't think anyone is going to touch Brohm tbh. Seems common knowledge among Purdue fans that he'd leave in a heartbeat for Louisville (dream job). I doubt anyone on Louisville's level or above them would want the run the risk of getting their HC poached in a couple years (general consensus is Petrino will bolt if given a chance with Jurich gone).
11-28-2017 06:51 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I'd love to see Taggert to FSU and Brohm to Louisville - makes ACC coaching better and younger at the same time.
11-28-2017 10:01 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC

Morehead was announced to Mississippi State tonight and Campbell has signed a contract extension with raise at Iowa State.
11-29-2017 12:32 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-29-2017 12:32 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Morehead was announced to Mississippi State tonight and Campbell has signed a contract extension with raise at Iowa State.

Mississippi State seems to know what they are doing.
11-29-2017 07:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.