Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The WAC's Next Move
Bookmark and Share
Columbia Blue Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
The WAC's Next Move
Since the CSU Bakersfield to the Big West thread got bumped to the smack board, I'm starting this thread to discuss what moves the WAC can and/or should make to try to stabilize the conference. First off I wanted to mention Tarleton State.

Looks like Tarleton State has been spending cash to upgrade facilities etc. in expectation of a move to Div. 1. Rumor has been going around that they either already have a Division 1 conference offer, or are expecting one in December.

The Southland would be the obvious conference, except that they are a little bloated now, plus Sam Houston St. is already unhappy about the Div. 2 moveups weak football possibly affecting their seed in the FCS playoffs.

The WAC is perhaps the only other conference with a Texas footprint that might be interested. However, I'm not sure what they would do with their football team. Ditto for any other possible moveup with football such as Dixie State, Azuza Pacific, Tex.-Commerce, CSU Pueblo, and so on. I'm thinking the WAC schools don't want to bring any kind of FB back FCS or otherwise, so it seems like a non starter. But I figured it was worth bringing up.
11-29-2017 11:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LopesUp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Grand Canyon
RE: The WAC's Next Move
My first thought, and the one that makes the most sense to me, is to take care of those who are in the WAC. Essentially the WAC is in the same position as it was when GCU arrived. There were 7 solid D1 schools and a D2 move up. The WAC has since thrived. In reality, this new iteration of the WAC is even better. The WAC is doing well in all metrics, speaking specifically to Basketball and by the time that school in the Central Valley leaves in 2020, Cal Baptist will be half way through their D1 probationary period.

The WAC needs to focus on keeping the other schools in the WAC, no more defections.
Give UMKC what you promised them, a couple WAC tournament hosting opportunities. Get all the other WAC schools presidents together to come along side ChiSt and see if you can help them create a plan to sustain and grow their student body. I know the GCU Pres has other D1 schools on campus to see what GCU has done and how they have grown. The WAC needs to take of the people in their house. I'm not saying you close the door to other members. Just take care of the ones who take of you.
#ByeClarity
11-29-2017 12:07 PM
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
Good ideas. We all know that Chicago St and GCU are two very different institutions, but there can be something learned from each other.
I also do not understand the reluctance to have the MBB tourney at UMKC. So few people come anyways.
11-29-2017 02:09 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(11-29-2017 12:07 PM)LopesUp Wrote:  My first thought, and the one that makes the most sense to me, is to take care of those who are in the WAC. Essentially the WAC is in the same position as it was when GCU arrived. There were 7 solid D1 schools and a D2 move up. The WAC has since thrived. In reality, this new iteration of the WAC is even better. The WAC is doing well in all metrics, speaking specifically to Basketball and by the time that school in the Central Valley leaves in 2020, Cal Baptist will be half way through their D1 probationary period.

The WAC needs to focus on keeping the other schools in the WAC, no more defections.
Give UMKC what you promised them, a couple WAC tournament hosting opportunities. Get all the other WAC schools presidents together to come along side ChiSt and see if you can help them create a plan to sustain and grow their student body. I know the GCU Pres has other D1 schools on campus to see what GCU has done and how they have grown. The WAC needs to take of the people in their house. I'm not saying you close the door to other members. Just take care of the ones who take of you.
#ByeClarity

Hurd promised them, not the membership.
11-29-2017 02:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
Time to revisit Metro State?
11-29-2017 03:30 PM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

Before we start endless fantasy threads what teams actually want to move up? Like I mentioned in another thread I know Academy of Art wanted to basically for more exposure to it's school a la GCU. Any other REAL prospects?
11-29-2017 03:46 PM
Advertisement

DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(11-29-2017 03:30 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  Time to revisit Metro State?

Does Metro want to move? They would be in, in a second.
11-29-2017 03:50 PM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

How many teams need to be in the WAC to keep the Auto Bid?
11-29-2017 03:57 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

(11-29-2017 03:57 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  How many teams need to be in the WAC to keep the Auto Bid?

11-29-2017 04:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jacksfan29 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: So Dak St/CU
(11-29-2017 11:45 AM)Columbia Blue Wrote:  Since the CSU Bakersfield to the Big West thread got bumped to the smack board, I'm starting this thread to discuss what moves the WAC can and/or should make to try to stabilize the conference. First off I wanted to mention Tarleton State.

Looks like Tarleton State has been spending cash to upgrade facilities etc. in expectation of a move to Div. 1. Rumor has been going around that they either already have a Division 1 conference offer, or are expecting one in December.

The Southland would be the obvious conference, except that they are a little bloated now, plus Sam Houston St. is already unhappy about the Div. 2 moveups weak football possibly affecting their seed in the FCS playoffs.

The WAC is perhaps the only other conference with a Texas footprint that might be interested. However, I'm not sure what they would do with their football team. Ditto for any other possible moveup with football such as Dixie State, Azuza Pacific, Tex.-Commerce, CSU Pueblo, and so on. I'm thinking the WAC schools don't want to bring any kind of FB back FCS or otherwise, so it seems like a non starter. But I figured it was worth bringing up.

CSU Pueblo is not moving up. They can't afford to and the state will not fund the move. Plus, the WAC has no place for their FB program, which is the strength of their athletic department. Dixie State needs a home for football and the BSC is not taking them as an affiliate, Azuza is a likely add because they can drop FB to non-scholarship and join San Diego in the Pioneer. Texas Commerce? Same issue as Pueblo and Dixie. Where does their FB program land.

Of your invites, only Azuza is realistic. You can try and court Metro State Denver. But again, they don't have the cash to move up and the state is not going to assist them in doing so. Metro is a commuter school with a large non-traditional student population. Not really the type of institution that screams D1 athletic success.
11-29-2017 04:26 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

The WAC's Next Move?

Tequila Shots in Vegas with all fan bases, not CSUB. Then throwing said shot glasses at CSUB fans.
11-29-2017 04:56 PM
Advertisement

Columbia Blue Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
The list of Division 2 schools putting money into their programs, and preparing for a move-up is a short one. Tarleton State which I've already mentioned, and USI (Univ. of Southern Indiana). USI ( Evansville) isn't pouring $50 plus million into upgrading their arena to play Div. 2 ball. They otherwise look to be positioning themselves to move up to Div. 1. in a fairly short time frame.

USI is probably a non-starter for the WAC unless Chicago State drops down, and they need a travel partner for UMKC. Both schools have over 10,000 students which will help with the financial crunch of moving to Division 1 when the time comes. The other schools I mentioned in the opening post only because they have been mentioned elsewhere as candidates. As far as I know none have showed any inclination for moving up. For instance, the only way Tex. A&M Commerce might make a move is if Tarleton St. and one or two others do.
11-29-2017 07:29 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Technically if no one leaves and Chicago State survives until June 30, 2022, a move isn’t necessary.

If D2 to D1 moves can still be made for July 1, 2018, it’s time to make it known that this is the last call for schools west of Minneapolis. Target travel partners for each of the remaining WAC members (other than UMKC and Chicago State)

The other solution is to “rent” one to three members from the Big Sky like Southern Utah, Northern Colorado, or Sacramento State until a more permanent solution can be found. The schools that move becomes football-only members of the Big Sky. The WAC covers any and all exit and entry fees. As long as the WAC stays above five members this could be an option. Since the Big Sky does not sponsor baseball, this also helps keep the WAC alive in terms of multi-sport conference status, as Norhern Colorado and Sacramento State already play baseball in the WAC.
11-29-2017 07:52 PM
Clarity Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
Chicago State previous two fall freshman enrollment classes combined are about 250. There's no way they are lasting much longer, certainly not until 2022. UMKC is also gone after this year. No way they are staying. Summit or D2. Lots of rumors of them to the Summit swirling.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2017 07:58 PM by Clarity.)
11-29-2017 07:58 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
I, like everyone else keeping an eye open, will believe UMKC is gone when they say they're gone. Until then, the WAC has to operate like they are staying long term.
11-29-2017 09:36 PM
SDHornet Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Sac State
(11-29-2017 07:52 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  Technically if no one leaves and Chicago State survives until June 30, 2022, a move isn’t necessary.

If D2 to D1 moves can still be made for July 1, 2018, it’s time to make it known that this is the last call for schools west of Minneapolis. Target travel partners for each of the remaining WAC members (other than UMKC and Chicago State)

The other solution is to “rent” one to three members from the Big Sky like Southern Utah, Northern Colorado, or Sacramento State until a more permanent solution can be found. The schools that move becomes football-only members of the Big Sky. The WAC covers any and all exit and entry fees. As long as the WAC stays above five members this could be an option. Since the Big Sky does not sponsor baseball, this also helps keep the WAC alive in terms of multi-sport conference status, as Norhern Colorado and Sacramento State already play baseball in the WAC.

Keep Sac State out of these discussions. We aren't leaving the BSC for the WAC.
11-29-2017 09:40 PM
Advertisement

Clarity Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
No D1 school would ever considering leaving a conference for the WAC.
11-29-2017 09:46 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
(11-29-2017 04:56 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  The WAC's Next Move?

Tequila Shots in Vegas with all fan bases, not CSUB. Then throwing said shot glasses at CSUB fans.

I'm all in on this.
11-30-2017 12:14 AM
LopesUp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Grand Canyon
(11-30-2017 12:14 AM)gleadley Wrote:  
(11-29-2017 04:56 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  The WAC's Next Move?

I'm all in on this.

+1
11-30-2017 12:48 AM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I want to buy every GCU poster here a beer in Vegas, on me guys. As we get closer I'll private message you my number. It's going to be a blast with you guys there!
11-30-2017 12:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.