Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Andy Katz: More Talk on Ohio Basketball Challenge
Bookmark and Share
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Andy Katz: More Talk on Ohio Basketball Challenge
More talk about the Ohio Challenge. Sounds like there are talks of doing this starting in 2020. A quote for Mick is included.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/...on-georgia

12-19-2017 09:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
RE: Andy Katz: More Talk on Ohio Basketball Challenge
The only two things I wouldn't like is playing Xavier in Columbus. The shootout is a huge deal for this citype and that would sort of take the buzz away.

Also, OSU getting the home city every year. I would rather it rotate cities (Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, Cleveland)

12-19-2017 09:34 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
I agree with Mick's comment here; my first preference is a continuing home and home with OSU and not elevating UD and X into the big, bright spotlight this event would shine.

12-19-2017 09:35 AM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
The Crosstown shootout would most definitely remained untouched . (Although this could be an out for us of ever playing at Cintas again)

So basically we would alternate playing Dayton and Ohio State in Columbus every year.

Yeah the idea of this event is great but there needs to be a better way . First off it needs to rotate. I would take a permanent home and home with OSU (like UK / Louisville ) over this event any day.

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2017 09:41 AM by Bearcat2012.)
12-19-2017 09:41 AM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

The more I think about it, Columbus is a 2 hour drive for the 3 other schools who are all within an hour of eachother. This event seems heavidly favored for OSU to get an extra home game every year.

12-19-2017 09:52 AM
Bearcat 1985 Offline
Special Teams

(12-19-2017 09:52 AM)jarr Wrote:  The more I think about it, Columbus is a 2 hour drive for the 3 other schools who are all within an hour of eachother. This event seems heavidly favored for OSU to get an extra home game every year.

Aside from rotating the game around the state, I wouldn't mind finding a way to include the highest pre-season Ohio MAC school into the mix. Make it a true all-Ohio Classic

12-19-2017 10:27 AM
Advertisement

RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Nationwide arena is also the only off campus arena that is worthy of hosting this unless you send all of us to Cleveland which seems silly. None of the Cincinnati or Dayton arena's are capable of handling all the fanbases.

Having a home and home series with OSU would be much better but it doesn't seem like they see that as the future of this series. If this is the only option I'm not sure I'd probably take it.

12-19-2017 10:40 AM
JPBearcat3 Offline
we'll do the rest, boys

I Root For: #BearcatNation
A couple things:

- Former OSU player Mark Titus said on the OhVarsity podcast a week or so ago that there was no chance OSU plays this event anywhere outside of Columbus.
- I love the idea of this tournament.
- I love the idea of playing X in Cincinnati and OSU home/home every year more, though. Sorry Dayton.

12-19-2017 10:50 AM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
My favorite option would be to cancel the Xavier series after next year, then make a permanent OSU series. Cutting Xavier out of the biggest intra-Ohio game every year would be hilarious.

12-19-2017 10:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Busta2600 Offline
Water Engineer

Nutter Center? Midway between Cincinnati and Columbus, neutral site, rotate 4th team between UD, WSU, or any of the Ohio MAC schools.

Sent from my SM-G900P using CSNbbs mobile app

12-19-2017 11:09 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

Playing OSU every other year is far better than quarter centuries of avoiding each other but I still think it's ridiculous that you've got two large public schools with large alumni bases and they don't play every year. Kudos to Holtmann for having a little common sense but I'm not for inviting two small private colleges to the party. We already play X if we decide to play Dayton I see no value in doing it in Columbus. I'd go to the game in years we played OSU and slip it when we played Dayton.

12-19-2017 11:12 AM
Advertisement

crex043 Offline
All American

No rotating sites, no go.

12-19-2017 11:19 AM
colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
(12-19-2017 10:51 AM)TubaCat Wrote:  My favorite option would be to cancel the Xavier series after next year, then make a permanent OSU series. Cutting Xavier out of the biggest intra-Ohio game every year would be hilarious.

Actually, it would be more hilarious to play XU every year and beat them. Mick needs to find a way to motivate our guys to consistently win that damned game and thus oblige XU to beg off the series.

12-19-2017 11:28 AM
Bearcat 1985 Offline
Special Teams

(12-19-2017 11:12 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  Playing OSU every other year is far better than quarter centuries of avoiding each other but I still think it's ridiculous that you've got two large public schools with large alumni bases and they don't play every year. Kudos to Holtmann for having a little common sense but I'm not for inviting two small private colleges to the party. We already play X if we decide to play Dayton I see no value in doing it in Columbus. I'd go to the game in years we played OSU and slip it when we played Dayton.

I can see that. UC, Ohio State and let the MAC pick two Ohio schools. Make it a 4 game weekend tournament rotated around the state.

12-19-2017 12:00 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(12-19-2017 11:28 AM)colohank Wrote:  
(12-19-2017 10:51 AM)TubaCat Wrote:  My favorite option would be to cancel the Xavier series after next year, then make a permanent OSU series. Cutting Xavier out of the biggest intra-Ohio game every year would be hilarious.

Actually, it would be more hilarious to play XU every year and beat them. Mick needs to find a way to motivate our guys to consistently win that damned game and thus oblige XU to beg off the series.

I agree. If we backed out of the series now, we would look like sore losers since Xavier has owned us for the past 15 years. We need to stop making excuses and start taking back control of the series before we even think about dropping it.

12-19-2017 12:02 PM
DownOnRohs Offline
Heisman

Play it every 3 years in Columbus.

12-19-2017 12:14 PM
Advertisement

jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

People wanting to cancel the Xavier series are ridiculous. They've beating our Butts for years. I want to start besting theirs. This game makes the season a little.more interesting and brings interest nationally to Cincinnati basketball. It gives the city a buzz, and it should be a game that elevates both schools.

Also, who are we going to replace it with? Prarie View A&M and Jackson State?

12-19-2017 12:14 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(12-19-2017 12:14 PM)jarr Wrote:  People wanting to cancel the Xavier series are ridiculous. They've beating our Butts for years. I want to start besting theirs. This game makes the season a little.more interesting and brings interest nationally to Cincinnati basketball. It gives the city a buzz, and it should be a game that elevates both schools.

Agree. I like the tourney, I jyst think they should have 8 Ohio schools in it. The big 4 host the first round at home, then go to Columbus for the rest.

12-19-2017 12:25 PM
Bearcat 1985 Offline
Special Teams

(12-19-2017 12:25 PM)mlb Wrote:  
(12-19-2017 12:14 PM)jarr Wrote:  People wanting to cancel the Xavier series are ridiculous. They've beating our Butts for years. I want to start besting theirs. This game makes the season a little.more interesting and brings interest nationally to Cincinnati basketball. It gives the city a buzz, and it should be a game that elevates both schools.

Agree. I like the tourney, I jyst think they should have 8 Ohio schools in it. The big 4 host the first round at home, then go to Columbus for the rest.

All 8 Ohio publics (UC, OSU + 6 MACs). Seed it by last year's final rpi. First round games on campus on Thursday night, Semis & Final in Columbus on Saturday and Sunday. That's a true Ohio Classic that doesn't need the privates.

12-19-2017 12:45 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk

I agree with this. If mick and Bohn could make the osu series permanent and then add home and homes with A couple of teams like Purdue, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Illinois. Localish teams I’m sure people would be fine dropping Xavier. Or somehow find ways to schedule home and homes with WVU(should not be that difficult) or IU and UL(both down right now). We have found a way to schedule with OSU and UCLA so don’t tell me that IU and UL are impossible.

Or for the millionth time use the damn UA association and schedule Some other UA schools, plenty of decent ones to get fans excited.

12-19-2017 01:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.