Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marshall using the D'Antoni system to full effect this year
Bookmark and Share
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
Marshall using the D'Antoni system to full effect this year
Ajdin Penava now leading the country in blocks per game. Averaging 4.8 blocks. Nearly put up a QUADRUPLE DOUBLE last night against EKU.

Penava stat line last night: 13 pts, 10 reb, 9 blocks, 7 asst

Penava is playing the Shawn Marrion role in the D'Antoni system.

Of course John Elmore is putting up 23.7 pts per game.
12-23-2017 09:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rileylives Offline
Heisman

RE: Marshall using the D'Antoni system to full effect this year
Didn't want to make one novel post.

On top of that CJ Burks is nearly averaging 20 pts per game.

2019 could be setting up for an all-time great season for Marshall. John Elmore, Ajdin Penava and CJ Burks are all Juniors this year.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2017 09:20 AM by rileylives.)
12-23-2017 09:19 AM
herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall & Liberty
I've never been this excited for Marshall basketball.
12-23-2017 09:21 AM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I've loved the D'Antoni system ever since those Steve Nash led Suns teams. People harp on the lack of an inside presence and D, but you can't dispute the havoc it creates on the offensive side.

Now that Penava is coming into form, there is at least some semblance of a D.

I love it.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2017 09:31 AM by rileylives.)
12-23-2017 09:30 AM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I'll also never forget when Dan D'Antoni came on board, several unnamed CUSA coaches went "off the record" stating how happy they were. Basically this would not work out for Marshall.

Did anyone figure out who the coach or coaches were that felt that way? Not saying Marshall basketball are world beaters, but man, I think Dan D'Antoni has proved to be a great hire.
12-23-2017 09:35 AM
Advertisement

rileylives Offline
Heisman

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the...o-college/

Here's a cool article from last year on the analytics of the D'Antoni system. I think it's proving to work, and we could see an explosive Marshall here down the stretch. Certainly we have major potential going into 2019.
12-23-2017 09:41 AM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

Found this from a CBS ananlst on the hiring of Dan D'Dantoni.

Gary Parrish: "Conference USA coaches are texting me at a furious rate downright giddy by the fact that Marshall hired Dan D' Antoni"
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2017 09:48 AM by rileylives.)
12-23-2017 09:44 AM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

He's doing it all with basically local unrecruited WV high school kids and international players.

Totally bucking the AAU trend. If you're a fan of College Basketball, you've got to love it.
12-23-2017 09:53 AM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
Serious question, who is the best team Marshall has beaten this year?
12-23-2017 10:18 AM
Advertisement

rileylives Offline
Heisman

(12-23-2017 10:18 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Serious question, who is the best team Marshall has beaten this year?

Probably 6-3 Akron. We beat them by 22pts.

Also...coulda woulda shoulda...we should have beat RPI #2 Xavier, but couldn't overcome the home ref advantage they had. Lost to Xavier by 4 on the road.

But we showed amazing grit in that Xavier game.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2017 10:28 AM by rileylives.)
12-23-2017 10:25 AM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I think everyone can agree. The conference as a whole looks to be much stronger this year.

Middle is the class, but then there's a cluster of about 5 teams who could all challenge.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2017 11:54 AM by rileylives.)
12-23-2017 11:54 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(12-23-2017 09:15 AM)rileylives Wrote:  Ajdin Penava now leading the country in blocks per game. Averaging 4.8 blocks. Nearly put up a QUADRUPLE DOUBLE last night against EKU.

Ajdin Penava who all the crazy people that post on Marshall message boards wanted gone, thank god none of them have a say in anything or Marshall would be in the NCCAA because they would have already fired about 20 coaches.

On the other hand there was a small portion of us who actually have followed Marshall basketball though the good and bad seen the small flashes of what A. Penava was able to do.

That message board crowd I was talking about was all "Woe is me" when Terrence Thompson announced he was going to transfer. Thompson transferring and making Penava the focal point of the big men this year has forced him to step up and he has in a big way.

Marshall only loses Ot Elmore and Milan Mijvoic off of this years team. But then they add freshman Camron Brooks-Harris (6'7 195 SF) and Jeremy Dillon (6'5 SG). Then we will have a pair of guys eligible with Levi Cook (6'10 315 C/PF) who transferred in from DePaul, from Arnett, WV (Huntington Prep), Iran (pronounced E-Ran) Bennett (6'11 could be 7' by next year 325 C). Bennett became eligible to practice this month and those who are going to practice say that Bennett has been "Rag Dolling" anyone trying to guard him, without fouling.

Marshall also gets a walk on come next year. This isn't your every day walk on though. His name is DeAundra Murphy (6'5 185 SG). Murphy avged 24 points and 6 rebounds in HS. I expect him to only be a walk on one year.

My projected starting line up next year:

SG CJ Burks
PG/SG Jarrod West
PG Jon Elmore
SG Rondale Watson
PF Ajdin Penava

But the depth of next years team will be something Marshall hasn't had in years, maybe going back to 1998 or 2001 with one of Greg White's teams.

Off the Bench will be:
PF Dani Koljanin
PF Jannson Williams
SF Darius George
SF Phil Bledsoe
SF Christian Thieneman
SF Cameron Brooks-Harris
C/PF Levi Cook
C Iran Bennett
SG Jeremy Dillon
SG DeAundra Murphy

In recent memory Ive not seen Marshall 12-13 deep. As I said earlier its either been 1998 (20 years ago) or 2001 (17 years ago). Since Marshall has been this deep.

Also with the depth of next years team I could see both Brooks-Harris and Dillon red shirting.
12-23-2017 12:02 PM
Flat Tire 2 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(12-23-2017 10:25 AM)rileylives Wrote:  
(12-23-2017 10:18 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Serious question, who is the best team Marshall has beaten this year?

Also...coulda woulda shoulda...we should have beat RPI #2 Xavier, but couldn't overcome the home ref advantage they had. Lost to Xavier by 4 on the road.

Wasn't Xavier down to seven scholarship players at the start of the second half of the Marshall game?
12-23-2017 12:52 PM
Advertisement

herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

(12-23-2017 12:52 PM)Flat Tire 2 Wrote:  
(12-23-2017 10:25 AM)rileylives Wrote:  

Wasn't Xavier down to seven scholarship players at the start of the second half of the Marshall game?

No idea, but we didn't get screwed. We got down early and by the time we settled down and realized we could play with them we were down. We showed a lot of grit and heart fighting to come back but we just ran out of time. If that game had another 3-4 minutes then we easily win it.
12-23-2017 04:21 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(12-23-2017 12:02 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(12-23-2017 09:15 AM)rileylives Wrote:  Ajdin Penava now leading the country in blocks per game. Averaging 4.8 blocks. Nearly put up a QUADRUPLE DOUBLE last night against EKU.

Ajdin Penava who all the crazy people that post on Marshall message boards wanted gone, thank god none of them have a say in anything or Marshall would be in the NCCAA because they would have already fired about 20 coaches.

On the other hand there was a small portion of us who actually have followed Marshall basketball though the good and bad seen the small flashes of what A. Penava was able to do.

That message board crowd I was talking about was all "Woe is me" when Terrence Thompson announced he was going to transfer. Thompson transferring and making Penava the focal point of the big men this year has forced him to step up and he has in a big way.

Marshall only loses Ot Elmore and Milan Mijvoic off of this years team. But then they add freshman Camron Brooks-Harris (6'7 195 SF) and Jeremy Dillon (6'5 SG). Then we will have a pair of guys eligible with Levi Cook (6'10 315 C/PF) who transferred in from DePaul, from Arnett, WV (Huntington Prep), Iran (pronounced E-Ran) Bennett (6'11 could be 7' by next year 325 C). Bennett became eligible to practice this month and those who are going to practice say that Bennett has been "Rag Dolling" anyone trying to guard him, without fouling.

Marshall also gets a walk on come next year. This isn't your every day walk on though. His name is DeAundra Murphy (6'5 185 SG). Murphy avged 24 points and 6 rebounds in HS. I expect him to only be a walk on one year.

SG CJ Burks
PG/SG Jarrod West
PG Jon Elmore
SG Rondale Watson
PF Ajdin Penava

But the depth of next years team will be something Marshall hasn't had in years, maybe going back to 1998 or 2001 with one of Greg White's teams.

Off the Bench will be:
PF Dani Koljanin
PF Jannson Williams
SF Darius George
SF Phil Bledsoe
SF Christian Thieneman
SF Cameron Brooks-Harris
C/PF Levi Cook
C Iran Bennett
SG Jeremy Dillon
SG DeAundra Murphy

In recent memory Ive not seen Marshall 12-13 deep. As I said earlier its either been 1998 (20 years ago) or 2001 (17 years ago). Since Marshall has been this deep.

Also with the depth of next years team I could see both Brooks-Harris and Dillon red shirting.

That is an awesome breakdown, thank you!
12-23-2017 04:54 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(12-23-2017 04:54 PM)rileylives Wrote:  
(12-23-2017 12:02 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  

SG CJ Burks
PG/SG Jarrod West
PG Jon Elmore
SG Rondale Watson
PF Ajdin Penava

Off the Bench will be:
PF Dani Koljanin
PF Jannson Williams
SF Darius George
SF Phil Bledsoe
SF Christian Thieneman
SF Cameron Brooks-Harris
C/PF Levi Cook
C Iran Bennett
SG Jeremy Dillon
SG DeAundra Murphy

That is an awesome breakdown, thank you!

Except for the part about the fans. There are threads after threads about the potential in Penava and how he was going to develop into something special. But some people only like to read the things they can whine about. And they do it anonymously while saying they will never read those boards. And then they private message people with threats, insults, and profanity. You know, about like every other post Herdzoned has here. And can't also forget that when he's loses a civil argument because of mental deficiency he puts those people on ignore that he says he already has on ignore.

So yeah, nice breakdown, but disagree with any of it and watch him go full psycho. Dude's unstable.

I think it's funny that he claims he knows things all along, but is too chickenshit to put his thoughts out there until it's hindsight.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2017 06:31 PM by MUther.)
12-23-2017 06:28 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(12-23-2017 06:28 PM)MUther Wrote:  Except for the part about the fans. There are threads after threads about the potential in Penava and how he was going to develop into something special. But some people only like to read the things they can whine about. And they do it anonymously while saying they will never read those boards. And then they private message people with threats, insults, and profanity. You know, about like every other post Herdzoned has here. And can't also forget that when he's loses a civil argument because of mental deficiency he puts those people on ignore that he says he already has on ignore.

So yeah, nice breakdown, but disagree with any of it and watch him go full psycho. Dude's unstable.

I think it's funny that he claims he knows things all along, but is too chickenshit to put his thoughts out there until it's hindsight.

You are one of the message boars warriors that said Penava was nothing but crap. So go crawl in a hole somewhere else and crow. You like every one else on any Marshall message board thinks you know what is best for the damn program.

THANK GAWD YOU OR YOUR MASSAGE BOAD FREAKS HAVE NO DAMN POWER.

Go back to your bar and get drunk, ooooo you already are, you don't have to get that way.

You, and the rest of your message board armchair ADs can bite me, sorry you don't like what I have to say when I call you out on the BS you spew. I haven't posted on a Marshall message board since Nov 20th 2007. Yes over 10 years now, I stopped because of all the sh*t spewed about Snyder. When anyone with half a brain (that would be me, I literally only have half of a brain, the left side of my brain except the temporal lobe and left cortex never developed) could see that football wasn't going to win until they got their scholarships back. At one time they were playing with 65 scholarship players, 2 over the IAA limit. That meant from 2005-2012 we were going to be pretty bad. We actually overachieved in 2009 and 2011. If I would have posted, I would have been banned by all of them because 99% is filled with crap like yours.

Some, no all of you and your message board warrior friends post emotionally and not with your head. You all think we should be 12-0 every year in football and win 25-30 games in basketball and well that's just not realistic.
12-23-2017 09:09 PM
herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

Dude, can you believe Cracker Barrel fired Brads Wife? #JusticeForBradsWife
12-23-2017 09:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.