Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bowl Regulation
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Bowl Regulation
This season, 78 schools made bowl games. Only 40 schools made bowl games 20 yeas ago. The subject of bowl game reduction has been discussed ad nauseam but I think its time for a final decision. Bowl games used to a reward for a great season. Today, bowl games are used as money machines and a reward for a season at or above average. The decision should be to either limit the number of bowl games or give everyone a bowl game.

I would vote for bowl contraction to 30 bowls (60 schools). I chose this number because over the past 3 seasons, the FBS has averaged 63 7+ win schools so 60 gives us slightly better than that. I would like to see it closer to 20-25 bowls but with 130 schools, 60 seems like a fair number. Independents aren't included in here but they would be free to contract with bowls and those bowls would have the option of choosing that independent or the tie-in. Every non-power conference plays at least 1 power conference in a bowl game. Using today's conference alignments, here's how I'd divide up the bowl tie-ins:

NY6
Championship Game: semi-final winners
Rose: B1G vs. PAC
Sugar: SEC vs. XII
Orange: ACC vs. SEC
Cotton: XII vs. B1G
Fiesta: PAC vs. MWC
Peach: ACC vs. AAC

Fiesta / Peach - CUSA/SBC/MAC may switch a bowl game with MWC/AAC if ranked higher.

Other Bowls
Citrus: ACC vs. SEC
Alamo: PAC vs. XII
Hall of Fame: SEC vs. B1G
Bluebonnet: XII vs. B1G
Holiday: MWC vs. XII
Tangerine: ACC vs. XII
Music City: SEC vs. PAC
Liberty: AAC vs. SEC
Queen City: ACC vs. SBC
Pinstripe: ACC vs. B1G
San Francisco: PAC vs. B1G
Sun: PAC vs. XII
Gator: SEC vs. B1G
Las Vegas: PAC vs. ACC
Military: AAC vs. ACC
Birmingham: CUSA vs. MAC
Motor City: MAC vs. B1G
Cactus: MWC vs. SBC
Armed Forces: CUSA vs. AAC
Independence: CUSA vs. SEC
Hawaii: MWC vs. AAC
Idaho Potato: MWC vs. MAC
New Mexico: MAC vs. SBC
New Orleans: SBC vs. CUSA

OR

Get rid of tie-ins altogether and just let the bowls pick schools based on certain criteria like record, OOC games requirements, etc.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2017 01:04 PM by BePcr07.)
12-26-2017 01:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
RE: Bowl Regulation
I'd just get rid of the bowls ESPN owns/invented. I'd also have no problem getting rid of preset tie-ins.
12-26-2017 01:08 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I think more bowl games is a good thing.

Its a good experience for the kids. A reduction in bowl game numbers would only hurt the smaller programs and the kids who play for them.
12-26-2017 01:09 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Bottom line is if they wacked 20 of the 40 bowls, it would just mean that a whole lot of G5 teams would no longer play in bowl games.

Instead of 7 AAC and Sun Belt teams in bowls there would be maybe 2 from each.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2017 01:49 PM by quo vadis.)
12-26-2017 01:48 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(12-26-2017 01:48 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Bottom line is if they wacked 20 of the 40 bowls, it would just mean that a whole lot of G5 teams would no longer play in bowl games.

True. We'd still see 6-6 P5 schools playing.

Fact is most schools lose money on bowls.

Give everyone two weeks of extra practice, limit bowls to teams with 8 wins and reduce the number of bowls accordingly.
12-26-2017 01:50 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

(12-26-2017 01:50 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(12-26-2017 01:48 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Bottom line is if they wacked 20 of the 40 bowls, it would just mean that a whole lot of G5 teams would no longer play in bowl games.

Give everyone two weeks of extra practice, limit bowls to teams with 8 wins and reduce the number of bowls accordingly.

Agreed. One of my points was to limit the bowls but put in requirements: 8 wins, no more than 1 FCS school, at least 1 power OOC for non-power schools, meet certain academic standard, no more than 7 home games, etc.
12-26-2017 01:52 PM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-26-2017 01:52 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  

Agreed. One of my points was to limit the bowls but put in requirements: 8 wins, no more than 1 FCS school, at least 1 power OOC for non-power schools, meet certain academic standard, no more than 7 home games, etc.

Now we are getting somewhere, you are just wanting to change the rules to fit your opinion which stands against the big P5 programs.
12-26-2017 01:56 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

(12-26-2017 01:56 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

Now we are getting somewhere, you are just wanting to change the rules to fit your opinion which stands against the big P5 programs.

I can see why you'd say that but that's not it at all. The examples I gave for "bowl requirements" were only possibilities. In no way am I for or against any of them. If the bowl standard is unlimited FCS schools OOC then fine. If the bowl standard is no fewer than 4 road games then fine. I really don't care what the standards are. If you want my "official" opinion, if there is bowl contraction then there should be strict bowl standards applied equally amongst all schools. If it came across as something different, I apologize.
12-26-2017 02:12 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Not sure why more bowls offends anyone. If you don't want to watch, don't. I am more offended by 8, 9, 10 win teams staying home than the occasional 5-7 team getting in.
12-26-2017 02:17 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-26-2017 02:12 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(12-26-2017 01:56 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

I can see why you'd say that but that's not it at all. The examples I gave for "bowl requirements" were only possibilities. In no way am I for or against any of them. If the bowl standard is unlimited FCS schools OOC then fine. If the bowl standard is no fewer than 4 road games then fine. I really don't care what the standards are. If you want my "official" opinion, if there is bowl contraction then there should be strict bowl standards applied equally amongst all schools. If it came across as something different, I apologize.

No, I'll apologize to you.

Fair enough on your point and I agree with you actually.
12-26-2017 02:23 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

(12-26-2017 02:17 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Not sure why more bowls offends anyone. If you don't want to watch, don't. I am more offended by 8, 9, 10 win teams staying home than the occasional 5-7 team getting in.

Definitely agree - I don't watch many bowl games mainly because I don't have enough time! I will make time for the CFP bowls and probably most of the other NY6 bowls as well as a couple others. I would be okay giving every school a bowl game if they continue adding bowls. My reasoning in limiting bowls is that it waters down the meaning.

If everyone gets a trophy then getting a trophy doesn't mean anything. If every school gets a bowl then, outside of the CFP, every bowl doesn't mean anything. I would concede that even if they limited the number of bowls that all bowls outside the CFP wouldn't mean anything but it would feel much more significant to the players. Personally, I hate getting recognition that everyone gets. If everyone is special then no one is. If you're going to give 60% of schools a bowl game then give all schools a bowl game.
12-26-2017 02:44 PM
Advertisement

OdinFrigg Online
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
Agree, no one is forced to watch. That said, with the proliferation of bowls, only the CFP plus several of the old time, traditional games carry much meaning. Still, those schools in G-5 conferences that have fine seasons for the most part, do get an opportunity at post-season play.

The realistic goal for many is just to become bowl eligible with six wins usually. Beyond further TV exposure, and perhaps a few more dollars, the extra practice time is desired.

Corporate sponsors and advertising, plus communities wanting extra tourist business, are a driving force along with conferences seeking to place everybody who is possible eligible. A revised system may need to be considered.
12-26-2017 03:41 PM
orangefan Online
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Even the crappy bowls get decent television numbers. The 27 bowls on rated networks that were not part of the NY6 averaged over 3 million viewers per game last season. All but one had over 1 million viewers. The prior two years none had fewer than 1 million viewers. If you don't find them interesting, don't watch them.
12-26-2017 03:44 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Would that be 131 teams when Liberty joins? Not sure what they will do if others join Liberty this route.
12-26-2017 03:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(12-26-2017 03:49 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Would that be 131 teams when Liberty joins? Not sure what they will do if others join Liberty this route.

Still 130 as Idaho returns to the Big Sky/FCS
12-26-2017 03:50 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(12-26-2017 01:09 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I think more bowl games is a good thing.

Its a good experience for the kids. A reduction in bowl game numbers would only hurt the smaller programs and the kids who play for them.

Somewhere along the way, it became a truism that the bowls were a reward to teams for having a good season. But that wasn't anybody's motivation when most of the bowls were centered around New Year's Day, and there were only a dozen or so of them. The reality is that all the motivation was to benefit the locations where the bowls were held. They were meant to aid hotels and restaurants looking to extend tourist season to include winter vacations at warm weather sites.

Television networks were quick to realize they could also fill the holidays with live sports programming. But when we are talking about networks, we were basically talking about NBC, ABC and CBS. There was no cable tv, with its voracious need to fill hours of programming. The number of bowls is limited only by the available broadcast windows to show them, and the willingness of enough people to watch them instead of something else (like yet another episode of Law & Order SVU, or showing of It's a Wonderful Life).

I'm with those who say if you don't like so many bowls, don't watch them. As far as I'm concerned, there should be as many as the viewing market will bear. I couldn't care less how many wins or losses the participants have.
12-26-2017 03:55 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(12-26-2017 03:55 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(12-26-2017 01:09 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I think more bowl games is a good thing.

Somewhere along the way, it became a truism that the bowls were a reward to teams for having a good season. But that wasn't anybody's motivation when most of the bowls were centered around New Year's Day, and there were only a dozen or so of them. The reality is that all the motivation was to benefit the locations where the bowls were held. They were meant to aid hotels and restaurants looking to extend tourist season to include winter vacations at warm weather sites.

Television networks were quick to realize they could also fill the holidays with live sports programming. But when we are talking about networks, we were basically talking about NBC, ABC and CBS. There was no cable tv, with its voracious need to fill hours of programming. The number of bowls is limited only by the available broadcast windows to show them, and the willingness of enough people to watch them instead of something else (like yet another episode of Law & Order SVU, or showing of It's a Wonderful Life).

I'm with those who say if you don't like so many bowls, don't watch them. As far as I'm concerned, there should be as many as the viewing market will bear. I couldn't care less how many wins or losses the participants have.

Well, there seems to be some good places to have more bowls at.

Western Sizzling Beef Bowl in Canyon, Texas. Amarillo would love the business.
Sooner Bowl usually warm at times in Norman. Somebody should grab West Texas a&M and Central Oklahoma in the next 10 years.
Navy's Pensacola Wings of Gold Bowl in Pensacola, Florida
Jaguar Bowl in Jacksonville, Florida North Florida should add football.
Little Rock Bowl
Southern Rebel Bowl in Jackson, Mississippi
Bring back some of the defunct bowls as well.
12-26-2017 04:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Why more bowl regulation? I’d rather have more *deregulation*. If two teams:conferences can make some more extra money after the season regardless of their records, they ought to be free to enter into contracts as they wish. Let the free market reign... and the free market says that the bowl games get as good of ratings as anything at this time of year.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2017 04:18 PM by Frank the Tank.)
12-26-2017 04:18 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
My main concern is if/when the TV bubble bursts, how many of these bowls survive? Some bowls have poor attendance nearly every year (Hawaii, Bahamas). Would the G5 say to ESPN, rather than flushing a couple of million away on some pre-Christmas bowls, why not just add it to our TV contract?
12-26-2017 04:20 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

(12-26-2017 04:18 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Why more bowl regulation? I’d rather have more *deregulation*. If two teams:conferences can make some more extra money after the season regardless of their records, they ought to be free to enter into contracts as they wish. Let the free market reign... and the free market says that the bowl games get as good of ratings as anything at this time of year.

Agree. My two points were either highly regulate the bowls or not at all.
12-26-2017 04:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.