Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

*** Heart of Dallas Bowl (Game Thread) ...
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
*** Heart of Dallas Bowl (Game Thread) ...
P5 matchups begin in earnest today.

WVU vs Utah

PAC vs Big 12
12-26-2017 01:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
RE: *** Heart of Dallas Bowl (Game Thread) ...
(12-26-2017 01:46 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  P5 matchups begin in earnest today.

WVU vs Utah

PAC vs Big 12

The crowd looks small and sounds quiet. The HOD should have invited North Texas again.
12-26-2017 02:00 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Favorite venue in college football after the Rose Bowl. Thankful it still hosts a bowl, but wish it could be a bowl featuring top 25 teams on NYD again. Natural grass is football heaven.
12-26-2017 02:31 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

17-3. Utah at the half.
12-26-2017 03:33 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
30-14 final. And WV touchdown was garbage time. Great domination by P12. Good job Utah!
12-26-2017 04:55 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

Congratulations Utah, Zaxby's HoD Bowl Champs!
12-26-2017 04:56 PM
Advertisement

jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
Classic Whittball. Lay a turd while making the opponent look like festering week-old ****. Whitt doesn’t win bowl games by playing a good game. He figures out what he has to do to make the opponent play a terrible game.

Side note. Going to miss our senior backup QB and captain. He could have transferred or quit on the team when he lost the starting job, but he contributed whenever needed all season. Ends his career by faking an equipment problem (shoe) so the Walkon could finish the game, getting his first and only snaps as a collegiate athlete. Class act.
12-26-2017 05:18 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

20,507 for an "Official" attendance today. 03-lmfao Hope their bowl committee remembers this when they are extending invitations next year.

North Texas would have brought more then 20,000 for a match up with West Virginia. Should have kept their C-USA tie.
12-26-2017 07:43 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

Wasn’t at the game but apparently it was like WVU no showed.
12-26-2017 07:45 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(12-26-2017 07:43 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  20,507 for an "Official" attendance today. 03-lmfao Hope their bowl committee remembers this when they are extending invitations next year.

Bowls have a lot of constraints as to whom they invite. Often the teams are pretty much dictated by contracts.
12-26-2017 07:46 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-26-2017 07:46 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(12-26-2017 07:43 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  20,507 for an "Official" attendance today. 03-lmfao Hope their bowl committee remembers this when they are extending invitations next year.

Bowls have a lot of constraints as to whom they invite. Often the teams are pretty much dictated by contracts.

The Big12 (West Virginia) was contractually obligated to play. The PAC12 had no tie to this bowl. Utah didn't have to play in it. The HOD Bowl Committee selects from teams that are available. This year they made a bad choice, and I hope they remember it.

It was bad....

[Image: Heart-of-Dallas-Bowl-300x139.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2017 08:36 PM by Side Show Joe.)
12-26-2017 08:17 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
ESPN owns this game so attendance is not a primary concern
12-26-2017 08:36 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(12-26-2017 08:17 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  

The Big12 (West Virginia) was contractually obligated to play. The PAC12 had no tie to this bowl. Utah didn't have to play in it. The HOD Bowl Committee selects from teams that are available. This year they made a bad choice, and I hope they remember it.

It was bad....

WVU to this B12 bowl was a head-scratcher. This was their year to play 5 B12 road games, and had already made two trips to Kansas, a trip to Norman, and trips to Fort Worth and Waco. This was merely another long trip to Texas for their team, and not a big deal for their fans.

Birmingham is not contractually tied to the B12, but Texas Tech ended up in the vacant spot there. Perhaps the Birmingham bowl and the HOD bowl should have traded WV and Tech. It would have been a slightly closer trip for WV, and Tech would have been a better draw in Dallas.

As was mentioned earlier, this bowl is owned by ESPN, so attendance is secondary to TV airtime. The game could be played on a soundstage. In this case, the soundstage is the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.
12-26-2017 09:03 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
If strong attendance was the goal, they wouldn't play the game on the day after Christmas in a place where the temperature during the game was 39 degrees.

Perfectly understandable why few fans would feel the urge to travel 1000 miles, give up their Christmas holiday, and spend $1000 on a trip to see 7-5/6-6 teams play a 4th-tier bowl game in a frigid stadium.
12-26-2017 09:18 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-26-2017 09:03 PM)johnintx Wrote:  
(12-26-2017 07:43 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  20,507 for an "Official" attendance today. :lmfao: Hope their bowl committee remembers this when they are extending invitations next year.

It was bad....

WVU to this B12 bowl was a head-scratcher. This was their year to play 5 B12 road games, and had already made two trips to Kansas, a trip to Norman, and trips to Fort Worth and Waco. This was merely another long trip to Texas for their team, and not a big deal for their fans.

Birmingham is not contractually tied to the B12, but Texas Tech ended up in the vacant spot there. Perhaps the Birmingham bowl and the HOD bowl should have traded WV and Tech. It would have been a slightly closer trip for WV, and Tech would have been a better draw in Dallas.

As was mentioned earlier, this bowl is owned by ESPN, so attendance is secondary to TV airtime. The game could be played on a soundstage. In this case, the soundstage is the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

This is a great point. Also throw in the fact that WVU and USF uses to share a conference which gives the matchup a measure of intrigue for the fanbases. A curious decision.

Big 12 rules do not seem to indicate that the bowl must select a team based on record. Possibly WVU pushed for the later date, but December 26th is a horrible date for a bowl in terms of travel
12-26-2017 09:32 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/arti...63349.html

Looks like it was WVU's choice since they had better record over Texas tech
12-26-2017 09:42 PM
Advertisement

johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(12-26-2017 09:42 PM)solohawks Wrote:  http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/arti...63349.html

Ok..that makes sense.
12-26-2017 09:47 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(12-26-2017 09:03 PM)johnintx Wrote:  

It was bad....

A great point regarding swapping WVU with Tech and the B'ham bowl to produce a better matchup.

I really wish the same could be done with the Belk and Houston bowls to force a Texas vs A&M matchup. Now that would draw attention.
12-26-2017 11:55 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

The problem with non-premium bowls is you have a lot of venues where there is no travel draw at that time of year. Vegas would have a premium bowl if they didn’t already have booked rooms over XMAS and New Year’s.

Heart of Dallas sponsors don’t want TTU or North Texas because the attendance is locals who don’t spend on lodging and food. I think the bowl attendance issues could be improved by reducing the number of venues drastically and having several games on consecutive days in the same venue/city so fans who travel can watch multiple games during the trip. More of a Bowl-a-palooza setup than each Chamber of Commerce hosting its own crappy event.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2017 12:38 AM by jrj84105.)
12-27-2017 12:36 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(12-26-2017 09:42 PM)solohawks Wrote:  http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/arti...63349.html

... That explains it. If you're WVU do you want to go to Birmingham to play a G5 team or spend your Christmas in Dallas and play in the Cotton Bowl vs a P5?

As an experience for the team, a no brainer. 07-coffee3
12-27-2017 06:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.