Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - Football Coach Status Across Town
Owl Is In Chains Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice
OT - Football Coach Status Across Town
https://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal...applewhite

Recalled this from last year, and was wondering if any of the visitors to this board are reminding Khator and Tilman about this. Essentially, I am wondering if they are happy with the hire especially after what Kiffin did this year and signing a long term deal.
12-27-2017 10:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Intellectual_Brutality Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls!
RE: OT - Football Coach Status Across Town
That's interesting stuff, thanks for the link. I hadn't considered before the financial implications of hiring great coaches - you may get a multi-million dollar buy-out when they move on to greener pastures.
12-27-2017 11:13 AM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
I think UH will need every dollar it can get its hands on. With Tilman leveraged to the hilt to buy the Rockets (it is estimated that 75% of his net worth is tied to the Rocket purchase according to Forbes) his ability to help buy HC's and buildings will be less.
12-27-2017 11:59 AM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-27-2017 11:59 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  I think UH will need every dollar it can get its hands on. With Tilman leveraged to the hilt to buy the Rockets (it is estimated that 75% of his net worth is tied to the Rocket purchase according to Forbes) his ability to help buy HC's and buildings will be less.

And he also wants the bring an NHL team to Houston. It would seem UH has many more competitors for his financial support than they did even a year ago.
12-27-2017 12:12 PM
Mademen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UH
The student trainers don't even like Major any more.....
12-27-2017 06:54 PM
MemOwl Offline
All American

I Root For: Owls
Interesting article. the idea of buyout bootstrapping is very interesting.

Inside the lines, Briles is clearly the most accomplished HC of the 3, with multiple Top 10 ranked teams. But his buyout was the smallest.

69/70 has argued for small buyouts and I think that is right. but if Blomgren leaves after great success, there is precedent for dialing up the buyout.
12-27-2017 07:14 PM
Advertisement

tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
(12-27-2017 06:54 PM)Mademen Wrote:  The student trainers don't even like Major any more.....

Neither did the trainers at UT. Hopefully the root of the problems werent common for both.
12-27-2017 07:44 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-27-2017 12:12 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
(12-27-2017 11:59 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  I think UH will need every dollar it can get its hands on. With Tilman leveraged to the hilt to buy the Rockets (it is estimated that 75% of his net worth is tied to the Rocket purchase according to Forbes) his ability to help buy HC's and buildings will be less.

And he also wants the bring an NHL team to Houston. It would seem UH has many more competitors for his financial support than they did even a year ago.

I think Tilman’s interest in the NHL solely as a tenant in Toyota. There is no way he could be a major owner. I think that is why you didn’t see any effort to promote Houston as a entry for the upcoming expansion franchise. I believe he is actively courting the Coyotes ownership and possibly both the Panthers and Hurricane owners. Each of these teams has arena and/or fan base issues.
12-27-2017 08:12 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-27-2017 08:12 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  

I think Tilman’s interest in the NHL solely as a tenant in Toyota. There is no way he could be a major owner. I think that is why you didn’t see any effort to promote Houston as a entry for the upcoming expansion franchise. I believe he is actively courting the Coyotes ownership and possibly both the Panthers and Hurricane owners. Each of these teams has arena and/or fan base issues.

That makes more sense. I'm sure he'd love to have the cash flow from a NHL tenant.
12-27-2017 08:29 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(12-27-2017 08:29 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  

That makes more sense. I'm sure he'd love to have the cash flow from a NHL tenant.

I just really really want an NHL team in Houston, so I am rooting for Tillman 03-cloud9
12-27-2017 08:43 PM
OwlSquared Offline
Bench Warmer

12-27-2017 08:45 PM
Advertisement

OwlSquared Offline
Bench Warmer

Major problem with being a NHL tenant at Toyota is there is only one Saturday per week.
12-27-2017 08:47 PM
Mademen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UH
(12-27-2017 08:47 PM)OwlSquared Wrote:  

Major problem with being a NHL tenant at Toyota is there is only one Saturday per week.
Staples Center has 3 tenants (Lakers, Clippers, and Kings) . Lakers get 1st pick of dates, Kings 2nd, and Clippers 3rd. There are several saturdays where the Clippers play a 1230pm tip and then there is a Laker or King game at night. I imagine they could do the reverse at Toyota Center if need be. I don't think Tillman has the cash to own both and I don't think Hockey would do well in Houston unless it was a team that was ready to win the cup. Even then I think it's iffy. This is not a great sports town.
12-27-2017 09:21 PM
OldOwl Offline
1st String

I love to see a NHL team in Houston. I rather buy tickets for NHL any day then the Texans.
(12-27-2017 09:21 PM)Mademen Wrote:  
(12-27-2017 12:12 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  And he also wants the bring an NHL team to Houston. It would seem UH has many more competitors for his financial support than they did even a year ago.

Staples Center has 3 tenants (Lakers, Clippers, and Kings) . Lakers get 1st pick of dates, Kings 2nd, and Clippers 3rd. There are several saturdays where the Clippers play a 1230pm tip and then there is a Laker or King game at night. I imagine they could do the reverse at Toyota Center if need be. I don't think Tillman has the cash to own both and I don't think Hockey would do well in Houston unless it was a team that was ready to win the cup. Even then I think it's iffy. This is not a great sports town.
12-27-2017 09:43 PM
OwlSquared Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-27-2017 12:12 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  And he also wants the bring an NHL team to Houston. It would seem UH has many more competitors for his financial support than they did even a year ago.

It's possible, about 1/3 of NBA/NHL teams do it, but having to share when the other team owns the venue makes Houston a less desirable destination for current owners looking to move to greener pastures.
12-27-2017 10:45 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-27-2017 10:45 PM)OwlSquared Wrote:  
(12-27-2017 08:12 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  I think Tilman’s interest in the NHL solely as a tenant in Toyota. There is no way he could be a major owner. I think that is why you didn’t see any effort to promote Houston as a entry for the upcoming expansion franchise. I believe he is actively courting the Coyotes ownership and possibly both the Panthers and Hurricane owners. Each of these teams has arena and/or fan base issues.

It's possible, about 1/3 of NBA/NHL teams do it, but having to share when the other team owns the venue makes Houston a less desirable destination for current owners looking to move to greener pastures.

I generally agree with that comment but in the case of the three teams I mentioned they aren’t owners of their arenas either but face minimal competition for dates. The Hurricanes havie NC State MBB to contend with for dates, the other two have no major pro or major college program to contend with and yet they struggle.

The bigger problem for the three is poor management and poor arena location. Location of the arena is less of an issue with the Hurricanes but the potential audience size is more of a problem given the location of 3 D1 schools within 25 miles.

Taking on a team with a poor track record isn’t a situation that is desirable but given the extortion prices the NHL is asking for an expansion franchise it might be the only way to get an NHL team in Toyota.
12-27-2017 11:21 PM
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
A lot of transplants here so there are some hockey fans that have migrated here through the years. Hockey has done well enough in Dallas for the past 25 years. But I agree - it would seem to be a longshot here. Last night sure seemed like hockey weather but the majority of hockey games would be attended by people in shorts (although to be fair, I saw quite a few people at last night's Texas Bowl game in shorts freezing on the way home).

Have the Rockets been selling out every game this year? Even with the best record in the NBA and two marquee players, this city doesn't seem to be going crazy over them. It's always been NFL first in this city. But after the World Series, I think Astros have reclaimed the #1 spot in the fan base, followed by the Texans and then the Rockets.

The Astros resurgence probably doesn't help Rice or Houston's case for attracting the casual sports fan to their games.
12-28-2017 07:42 AM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators

You almost have to make the NHL/hockey game be the evening game, given the relatively short time between games. Getting to an NBA court is a generally longer process due to final prep on for the NBA court and set up. Ice rink set up isn't so bad, once you've got the multiple layers out of the way. I was surprised to hear that it is possible, given your LA example. I know Washington never attempts it except with an overnight to a 1pm start the next day.

I've heard it can take an average of about 8 hours to go from Capitals to Wizards set up in Washington. See this as it talks about the constant flow they deal with: https://wtop.com/local-sports/2017/04/qu...ter-staff/ But even setting up the ice rink isn't quick.
12-28-2017 08:44 AM
RiceFight Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-28-2017 08:44 AM)gsloth Wrote:  
(12-27-2017 08:12 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  I think Tilman’s interest in the NHL solely as a tenant in Toyota. There is no way he could be a major owner. I think that is why you didn’t see any effort to promote Houston as a entry for the upcoming expansion franchise. I believe he is actively courting the Coyotes ownership and possibly both the Panthers and Hurricane owners. Each of these teams has arena and/or fan base issues.

You almost have to make the NHL/hockey game be the evening game, given the relatively short time between games. Getting to an NBA court is a generally longer process due to final prep on for the NBA court and set up. Ice rink set up isn't so bad, once you've got the multiple layers out of the way. I was surprised to hear that it is possible, given your LA example. I know Washington never attempts it except with an overnight to a 1pm start the next day.

I've heard it can take an average of about 8 hours to go from Capitals to Wizards set up in Washington. See this as it talks about the constant flow they deal with: https://wtop.com/local-sports/2017/04/qu...ter-staff/ But even setting up the ice rink isn't quick.

The STAPLES Center hosting 6 playoff games in 4 days for 3 teams in 2 sports

12-28-2017 09:39 AM
owl95 Offline
1st String

And just to throw this off topic some more, Staples Center has also hosted the eSports League of Legends championship twice since 2013. https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/2016/10...t-know-it/
12-28-2017 10:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.