Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Battle of the Bluegrass
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Battle of the Bluegrass
Louisville visits Rupp Arena tomorrow at 1 in the annual rivalry game. It's a rivalry ranked right with Duke & NC. Both teams have struggled this season with the Cards best win coming against Indiana & the Cats against VT. The Cards have lost to Seton Hall & Purdue while the Cats have lost to Kansas & UCLA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 04:35 PM by Lenvillecards.)
12-28-2017 04:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
RE: Battle of the Bluegrass
(12-28-2017 04:26 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Louisville visits Rupp Arena tomorrow at 1 in the annual rivalry game. It's a rivalry ranked right with Duke & NC. Both teams have struggled this season with the Cards best win coming against Indiana & the Cats against VT. The Cards have lost to Seton Hall & Purdue while the Cats have lost to Kansas & UCLA.

Get UK to join the ACC and it becomes a big rivalry. Otherwise, not many people outside the Bluegrass state care. Big rivalry games aren't played at 1:00 on a weekday.
12-28-2017 06:48 PM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
(12-28-2017 04:26 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Louisville visits Rupp Arena tomorrow at 1 in the annual rivalry game. It's a rivalry ranked right with Duke & NC. Both teams have struggled this season with the Cards best win coming against Indiana & the Cats against VT. The Cards have lost to Seton Hall & Purdue while the Cats have lost to Kansas & UCLA.

It's not ranked with Duke and UNC.
12-28-2017 06:50 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(12-28-2017 06:50 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  

To be fair, Duke/UNC is played 2 to 3 times more often.
12-28-2017 06:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
It's the biggest non-conference rivalry in the sport, the second biggest rivalry overall in the sport, and I'd say the most heated rivalry (up for debate) in the sport.
12-28-2017 07:07 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Battle of the Bluegrass

How do you get that? I'll give you two examples. A Bleacher Report article ranking the 25 best college basketball rivalries has Duke/NC # 1 & UofL/UK #2.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication...l.amp.html

Another & more recent ESPN fan poll let the fans vote & the UofL/UK rivalry came in first with 47% of the nearly 38k votes. Duke/NC came in second with 23%.

http://www.espn.com/sportsnation/story/_...basketball

Duke & NC play 2-3 times a year while Louisville & UK only play once. There's no second or third chance for the loser. You only get 1 shot for a years worth of bragging rights.

Here's a third:

http://www.collegesportslive.com/feature...lries.html

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 07:36 PM by Lenvillecards.)
12-28-2017 07:22 PM
Advertisement

Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Battle of the Bluegrass
(12-28-2017 06:48 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  

Get UK to join the ACC and it becomes a big rivalry. Otherwise, not many people outside the Bluegrass state care. Big rivalry games aren't played at 1:00 on a weekday.

That's what tv does to college basketball during the bowl season & not many people outside the Bluegrass State care about college basketball. Duke/NC play 2-3 times a year while the UofL/UK loser doesn't get a second or third shot. There's a year worth of bragging rights on the line when you only play once, there's no "wait until next week!"

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 07:30 PM by Lenvillecards.)
12-28-2017 07:27 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Battle of the Bluegrass
(12-28-2017 07:07 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  It's the biggest non-conference rivalry in the sport, the second biggest rivalry overall in the sport, and I'd say the most heated rivalry (up for debate) in the sport.

My thoughts as well.

It's a rivalry that goes beyond basketball, it's heated in every sport. I remember hearing about fans waiting for dialysis getting into a fight over the game.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 07:44 PM by Lenvillecards.)
12-28-2017 07:37 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

(12-28-2017 07:07 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  It's the biggest non-conference rivalry in the sport, the second biggest rivalry overall in the sport, and I'd say the most heated rivalry (up for debate) in the sport.

Being the biggest nonconference rivalry isn't much of a distinction. It's like being the tallest midget. Rivalry games are played in February and March, not December. Come on, you know that.
12-28-2017 07:59 PM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

(12-28-2017 07:22 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  

How do you get that? I'll give you two examples. A Bleacher Report article ranking the 25 best college basketball rivalries has Duke/NC # 1 & UofL/UK #2.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication...l.amp.html

Another & more recent ESPN fan poll let the fans vote & the UofL/UK rivalry came in first with 47% of the nearly 38k votes. Duke/NC came in second with 23%.

http://www.espn.com/sportsnation/story/_...basketball

Duke & NC play 2-3 times a year while Louisville & UK only play once. There's no second or third chance for the loser. You only get 1 shot for a years worth of bragging rights.

Here's a third:

http://www.collegesportslive.com/feature...lries.html

Not only have both UNC and Duke been elite for decades, but they are only 8 miles apart. Louisville has had their down periods. So has KY for that matter. People only cared recently because it was Pitino vs Calipari. Now Pitino is gone and some of the shine is gone.
12-28-2017 08:29 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Battle of the Bluegrass
(12-28-2017 07:59 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  

Being the biggest nonconference rivalry isn't much of a distinction. It's like being the tallest midget. Rivalry games are played in February and March, not December. Come on, you know that.

That's a good point for the state of North Carolina but doesn't hold up nationally. The month a game is played in doesn't determine the passion of the opposing fan bases. Let's be real, is it really an important rivalry game when you have to specify which game you are referring to from a single season?

12-29-2017 02:47 AM
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

04-bs
12-29-2017 05:33 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Battle of the Bluegrass
(12-29-2017 05:33 AM)XLance Wrote:  

04-bs

Look back to post 6 where I proved my point. NC & Duke isn't the only rivalry in college basketball, accept it.

12-29-2017 08:16 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
You could make an argument that the ONLY rivalry in college basketball which is on the same level as Duke/UNC would be Louisville/Kentucky. What else is there, now that Syracuse and Georgetown no longer play annually?
12-29-2017 08:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL

There aren't many non-conference games played in Feb and none in March (during the regular season) so that's not exactly something the teams have much control over.

You conveniently ignored my bolded text. I'd like to see someone make an argument against it.

I'm also curious, do you currently or have you ever lived outside NC? I live outside KY and I firmly believe being geographically removed from the rivalry you care most about gives quite the perspective.
12-29-2017 09:27 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(12-29-2017 08:24 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  You could make an argument that the ONLY rivalry in college basketball which is on the same level as Duke/UNC would be Louisville/Kentucky. What else is there, now that Syracuse and Georgetown no longer play annually?

Syracuse/Georgetown is trying to play the game every year now that they are no longer conference mates. It used to be THE game, until UNC/Duke came around, and then Big John suddenly retired. Those events kind of pushed SU/GTown down a notch. I don't believe that Louisville and Kentucky even scheduled each ther each other during this time. Its definitely a big game. But I would give UNC/Duke the edge.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017 10:50 AM by cuseroc.)
12-29-2017 10:25 AM
Advertisement

jaminandjachin Offline
All American

The primary reason why UNC and Duke have no peers.....These numbers are since 1980..which is the first year for Coach K.

National Titles: UNC -5, Duke -5, Kentucky - 3, Louisville - 2
Final Fours: UNC - 13, Duke - 12, Kentucky - 9, Louisville - 6
Final AP Top 10 Ranking - Duke 27, UNC - 25, Kentucky - 23, Louisville - 9

So the two schools who have the most national titles, the most final fours, and the most top 10 finishes in the past 35+ years are also bitter archrivals, play in the same conference, and the campuses are literally 8 miles apart. Sustained national excellence is what separates the UNC-Duke rivalry from everyone else.
12-29-2017 11:00 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA

I beg to differ. There are some very good OOC rivalries that don’t get nearly the recognition they deserve. In looking at these top basketball rivalries, I have to shake my head that a big non conference rivalry was overlooked: UTEP-NM State. Very big in El Paso. So big, that the two non conference rivals play each other twice!!! UGa-GT is another good, overlooked basketball rivalry. As a Bulldog fan, I wish we would take a cue from UTEP-NM State and play each other twice. It’s really the only true rivalry both teams have in basketball, IMO. Nobody else really makes any sense and that includes conference opponents.
12-29-2017 12:08 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I can't top the UTEP-NM State reference but here are a couple of things that I believe distinguish the Duke-UNC rivalry.

They both play a lot of sports. Sports like Lacrosse, fencing, field hockey, checkers, etc. Basketball may get all the press but blood has been drawn at some of those other sports.

Both are major medical centers and have top law schools and compete for staff.

They frequently compete for recruits and, though neither will likely admit it, they compete for students.
12-29-2017 12:48 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

UK-UL not looking much like a rivalry right now.
12-29-2017 02:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.