Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sun Belt Digital Network
Bookmark and Share
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
Sun Belt Digital Network
Just peaking in on the CUSA board and their quarterly moaning of media rights and tv access got me thinking about the Belt's digital media pipeline and some questions popped up; Why doesn't the Sun Belt utilize their "Sun Belt Digital Network" for live games, especially Olympic sports? Seems there definitely is a missed market here. The conference (Video Production-wise) seems to be a confederation and each school is doing its own thing. Is that a correct assumption? Seems like the conference needs to jump into modern era of media streaming. The OVC, Big Sky, Patriot League, and MWC have jumped all over the digital platforms. The OVC have their own Roku channel, the Big Sky have their games on PlutoTV. MWC's digital network needs no introduction. The Patriot League is working with Stadium to provide streams.

This leaves the Sun Belt wanting, in my opinion. Has there been any discussion on kicking this into fruition? There's no reason I shouldn't be able to pay $8-$10 a month for access to live Sun Belt games from a variety of sports and access to plenty of archived games.
01-08-2018 12:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

RE: Sun Belt Digital Network
(01-08-2018 12:36 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  Just peaking in on the CUSA board and their quarterly moaning of media rights and tv access got me thinking about the Belt's digital media pipeline and some questions popped up; Why doesn't the Sun Belt utilize their "Sun Belt Digital Network" for live games, especially Olympic sports? Seems there definitely is a missed market here. The conference (Video Production-wise) seems to be a confederation and each school is doing its own thing. Is that a correct assumption? Seems like the conference needs to jump into modern era of media streaming. The OVC, Big Sky, Patriot League, and MWC have jumped all over the digital platforms. The OVC have their own Roku channel, the Big Sky have their games on PlutoTV. MWC's digital network needs no introduction. The Patriot League is working with Stadium to provide streams.

This leaves the Sun Belt wanting, in my opinion. Has there been any discussion on kicking this into fruition? There's no reason I shouldn't be able to pay $8-$10 a month for access to live Sun Belt games from a variety of sports and access to plenty of archived games.

Aren't a lot of the non revenue sports streamed on ESPN3?
01-08-2018 12:59 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(01-08-2018 12:36 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  Just peaking in on the CUSA board and their quarterly moaning of media rights and tv access got me thinking about the Belt's digital media pipeline and some questions popped up; Why doesn't the Sun Belt utilize their "Sun Belt Digital Network" for live games, especially Olympic sports? Seems there definitely is a missed market here. The conference (Video Production-wise) seems to be a confederation and each school is doing its own thing. Is that a correct assumption? Seems like the conference needs to jump into modern era of media streaming. The OVC, Big Sky, Patriot League, and MWC have jumped all over the digital platforms. The OVC have their own Roku channel, the Big Sky have their games on PlutoTV. MWC's digital network needs no introduction. The Patriot League is working with Stadium to provide streams.

Because officially each school maintains the rights to broadcast their non revenue sports on ESPN3. They just often choose not to, probably because of what it would take to put together such a production

It's not really the Sun Belt, it's the schools themselves unwillingness to stream the product.
01-08-2018 01:41 PM
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(01-08-2018 01:41 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Because officially each school maintains the rights to broadcast their non revenue sports on ESPN3. They just often choose not to, probably because of what it would take to put together such a production

It's not really the Sun Belt, it's the schools themselves unwillingness to stream the product.

Seems like that is something Karl should be pushing the schools for. There's zero reason not every single sport played isn't available to view in some video form.

Very small thinking by the university presidents and will set the conference back in the years to come.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2018 02:28 PM by Yosef Himself.)
01-08-2018 02:28 PM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
I'd like to see a set of format/broadcast standards that all broadcasts must adhere to.

I've seen several examples of poor choice in cameras/encoders (and we're guilty of this too) that make a broadcast look pretty poor. I've seen fuzzy video from Gast and weird color balanced/white balanced video from us (whatever camera is used on the FOC side of the press box never fails) which makes the product look even cheaper.

I'm not asking for 1080p broadcasts, but I'm also looking for broadcasts that convey that we're serious about our product as a conference.
01-08-2018 02:31 PM
Advertisement

SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
(01-08-2018 02:31 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  I'd like to see a set of format/broadcast standards that all broadcasts must adhere to.

I've seen several examples of poor choice in cameras/encoders (and we're guilty of this too) that make a broadcast look pretty poor. I've seen fuzzy video from Gast and weird color balanced/white balanced video from us (whatever camera is used on the FOC side of the press box never fails) which makes the product look even cheaper.

I'm not asking for 1080p broadcasts, but I'm also looking for broadcasts that convey that we're serious about our product as a conference.

USA’s broadcasts are in HD. 03-drunk
01-08-2018 03:24 PM
JTApps1 Offline
1st String

(01-08-2018 02:28 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  

Seems like that is something Karl should be pushing the schools for. There's zero reason not every single sport played isn't available to view in some video form.

Very small thinking by the university presidents and will set the conference back in the years to come.

I think you may underestimate how much manpower and equipment would be needed for every sport to broadcast every game. Without having cash from the conference or ESP/Stadium/ect. it is too costly for schools to do.

I know it's all we can do to show all M/W Basketball and baseball along with some softball and volleyball.
01-08-2018 03:38 PM
Advertisement

eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(01-08-2018 03:24 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  
(01-08-2018 02:31 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  I'd like to see a set of format/broadcast standards that all broadcasts must adhere to.

USA’s broadcasts are in HD. 03-drunk

There are some very good broadcasts in the conference. There are also some bad ones. Hell we could improve too, so I'm not exempting us from that statement.
01-08-2018 05:09 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

The reason I bring it up, ESPN has just one Sun Belt basketball game this week.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb...conference

That's pretty unacceptable, in my opinion. Sun Belt DigiNetwork should be broadcasting all these games that aren't on ESPN3.
01-08-2018 05:11 PM
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY

ESPN requires high definition broadcasting equipment, among other requirements, in order for a school to stream their sports on ESPN3. Chiefsfan is correct in saying that it's up to the schools to get that done.

Troy has streamed all home games on ESPN3 in football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, women's volleyball, and occasionally softball. Since Troy has a popular school of broadcasting/journalism, they invested in the necessary equipment and have the broadcast students run everything on gamedays, from cameras to commentating.

Basically, ESPN3 is the Sun Belt Digital Network... for now at least.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2018 07:00 PM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
01-08-2018 06:53 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(01-08-2018 06:53 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  

ESPN requires high definition broadcasting equipment, among other requirements, in order for a school to stream their sports on ESPN3. Chiefsfan is correct in saying that it's up to the schools to get that done.

Troy has streamed all home games on ESPN3 in football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, women's volleyball, and occasionally softball. Since Troy has a popular school of broadcasting/journalism, they invested in the necessary equipment and have the broadcast students run everything on gamedays, from cameras to commentating.

Basically, ESPN3 is the Sun Belt Digital Network... for now at least.

And that's where the SB Commish should be pushing to schools to emulate. App has a wonderful broadcasting department. I am a graduate of it. Even though its strength is in radio, there's no reason to not do the exact same as Troy. More hands on for students.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2018 08:47 AM by Yosef Himself.)
01-08-2018 08:39 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(01-08-2018 08:39 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  And that's where the SB Commish should be pushing to schools to emulate. App has a wonderful broadcasting department. I am a graduate of it. Even though it's strength is in radio, there's no reason to not do the exact same as Troy. More hands on for students.

Maybe Benson is pushing it? It does cost quite a lot of money to invest in everything that's required. It's a matter of the schools having the money to do it.
01-08-2018 10:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.