Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Disney/ESPN’s acquisition of Fox underlines how Syracuse was right to move to ACC
Bookmark and Share
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
Disney/ESPN’s acquisition of Fox underlines how Syracuse was right to move to ACC
ESPN Acquiring FOX was Huge for the league

Article
01-12-2018 10:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

TexanMark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: Disney/ESPN’s acquisition of Fox underlines how Syracuse was right to move to ACC
(01-12-2018 10:55 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  ESPN Acquiring FOX was Huge for the league

Article

Great news for everyone in the ACC if the deal goes through. ACC will be promoted as an equal to the SEC since they need 12 months of inventory
01-12-2018 11:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: Disney/ESPN’s acquisition of Fox underlines how Syracuse was right to move to ACC
(01-12-2018 11:21 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(01-12-2018 10:55 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  ESPN Acquiring FOX was Huge for the league

Article

Great news for everyone in the ACC if the deal goes through. ACC will be promoted as an equal to the SEC since they need 12 months of inventory

Let's hope so. For as long as ESPN has had college football they have been invested in the SEC as much as if not more than the ACC. The launch of the ACC network could be the tipping point. TBD.
01-12-2018 03:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hallcity Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Duke
Was there some doubt that moving to the ACC was the right call for Syracuse? Would I rather be in the AAC or ACC?
01-12-2018 04:21 PM

green Offline
All American

I Root For: Miami
how's it a good thing to have a monopsony or single buyer depressing price ...

LOW BALL
01-12-2018 05:36 PM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
When the checks start rolling in, I'll believe it.

ACC is the redheaded step child of ESPN. They regularly promote SEC to crazy levels, while hardly noticing ACC football.

Most recent of a million examples was when FSU couldn't afford to keep Jimbo, ESPN completely parroted Jimbo's pro SEC message that FSU didn't care about football (not FSU is poorer, but didn't care about football) and A&M was the place to when titles, not FSU. Kirk Herbstreit, let alone Paul Feinbau, repeatedly parroted this. FSU has won 3 national titles since 93 and A&M's last title was 78 years ago.

NOBODY at ESPN said, 'that narrative makes no sense and is total BS.'

ACC is sleeping with the enemy and with friends like these, who needs enemies.

That doesn't mention that # of SEC media members at ESPN. It is dozens and dozens. How many ACC media members at ESPN? ACC football media? The disparity is totally symbolic of where the ACC stands with ESPN.

Won't even begin to address the huge revenue disparity with these networks. ACC will be lucky to make half what the SEC does. And the new SEC age of $2 million DC, and $7-$10 million HC, it's gonna be an issue.

Rip away, but this board is dreaming about what ESPN is to the ACC.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2018 09:44 PM by nole.)
01-13-2018 09:44 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(01-13-2018 09:44 PM)nole Wrote:  When the checks start rolling in, I'll believe it.

ACC is the redheaded step child of ESPN. They regularly promote SEC to crazy levels, while hardly noticing ACC football.

Most recent of a million examples was when FSU couldn't afford to keep Jimbo, ESPN completely parroted Jimbo's pro SEC message that FSU didn't care about football (not FSU is poorer, but didn't care about football) and A&M was the place to when titles, not FSU. Kirk Herbstreit, let alone Paul Feinbau, repeatedly parroted this. FSU has won 3 national titles since 93 and A&M's last title was 78 years ago.

That doesn't mention that # of SEC media members at ESPN. It is dozens and dozens. How many ACC media members at ESPN? ACC football media? The disparity is totally symbolic of where the ACC stands with ESPN.

Won't even begin to address the huge revenue disparity with these networks. ACC will be lucky to make half what the SEC does. And the new SEC age of $2 million DC, and $7-$10 million HC, it's gonna be an issue.

You're definitely right about one thing, Nole: that whole "Jimbo Fisher went to Texas A&M to win championships" was garbage. Jimbo went for the money - pure and simple - but I don't recall ever hearing ESPN just admit that obvious fact.
01-14-2018 04:14 AM

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Those that think ESPN gave / gives The ACC a raw deal are spoiled. You've been in the club so long you simply don't know. You didn't sit from afar and watch the blatant collective ass-kissing of The ACC by ESPN.

The Big East regularly beat The ACC in BCS games? How many BCS bowls did The ACC win?

My point is it's all about a narrative. The powers that be at Disney/ESPN decide what the talking points are going to be for that season to make them money and they stick to them. They form and shape the narrative as they go along but the central points remain the same.

Last year the narrative was about The ACC, this season it was The SEC.

The ACC is one of ESPN's fair-haired children. You want redhead stepchild, try being a member of The American. You'll change your mind real quick.
CJ
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2018 07:18 AM by CardinalJim.)
01-14-2018 05:51 AM
nole Offline
1st String

(01-14-2018 04:14 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(01-13-2018 09:44 PM)nole Wrote:  When the checks start rolling in, I'll believe it.

You're definitely right about one thing, Nole: that whole "Jimbo Fisher went to Texas A&M to win championships" was garbage. Jimbo went for the money - pure and simple - but I don't recall ever hearing ESPN just admit that obvious fact.

Herbstreit did repeatedly. Offered no consideration to any counterpoint.
01-14-2018 10:19 AM
nole Offline
1st String

(01-14-2018 05:51 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Those that think ESPN gave / gives The ACC a raw deal are spoiled. You've been in the club so long you simply don't know. You didn't sit from afar and watch the blatant collective ass-kissing of The ACC by ESPN.

The Big East regularly beat The ACC in BCS games? How many BCS bowls did The ACC win?

My point is it's all about a narrative. The powers that be at Disney/ESPN decide what the talking points are going to be for that season to make them money and they stick to them. They form and shape the narrative as they go along but the central points remain the same.

Last year the narrative was about The ACC, this season it was The SEC.

The ACC is one of ESPN's fair-haired children. You want redhead stepchild, try being a member of The American. You'll change your mind real quick.
CJ

Appreciate the reference of the ex Big East, etc schools and how they are happy to be in P5.

But at the new level, you need a new level perspective. The goal isn't "just glad to be here"......now we have to compete with these schools (really the P2 of SEC and B1G), if you can't.....you won't survive. And it is tough to compete with schools making $15-$20 million more AND with networks that back them up with dozens of talking heads to our 0.

ACC has done a fine job lately. Thanks to 2013 FSU title and the last 4 years, Clemson. But again, ACC has to consider revenue and strategy and is ESPN truly our partner.....equal partner? Again, count the SEC talking heads to ACC talking heads to try and get some perspective on that.
01-14-2018 10:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.