Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Comparing road records
pvtlamb Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WSU
Comparing road records
According to the Hartford Courant, WSU is 43-6 in the last five years, prior to this season. http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens...story.html

That ain't just the MVC.

I don't think that counts road victories this year @ Baylor and @ Oklahoma State.

How is everyone else? What are the best three, four road victories of the last several years for the rest of you?

@UCLA for CU is obviously a very good road win.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2018 12:41 AM by pvtlamb.)
01-17-2018 12:20 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Comparing road records
UCLA, Iowa State, VCU, and North Carolina State are some big non-conference wins UC has picked up in the past 3-5 years.
01-17-2018 12:47 AM
TU4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
(01-17-2018 12:20 AM)pvtlamb Wrote:  According to the Hartford Courant, WSU is 43-6 in the last five years, prior to this season. http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens...story.html

That ain't just the MVC.

I don't think that counts road victories this year @ Baylor and @ Oklahoma State.

How is everyone else? What are the best three, four road victories of the last several years for the rest of you?

@UCLA for CU is obviously a very good road win.

45 of those are MVC games, so in five years wsu has played 4 ooc road games? 9 away games in conference each year right? Even at 8 a season that's 40 MVC games and 9 ooc games. I would think there would be more than 2 a season for ooc.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2018 12:53 AM by TU4ever.)
01-17-2018 12:51 AM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
We don't play on the road... We are the Alabama of basketball.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
(01-17-2018 12:20 AM)pvtlamb Wrote:  According to the Hartford Courant, WSU is 43-6 in the last five years, prior to this season. http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens...story.html

That ain't just the MVC.

But it was mostly the MVC given that, you know, those were the majority of your road games. Wichita State has had a nice run, but I'd suggest a slightly stronger troll approach than "we're dominant o the road at Evansville, Drake, and Bradley" (and, for the record, I had to look up who was in the MVC).
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UH
UH has struggled on the road the last few years. The closest thing we have to a quality non-conf road win is the neutral site victory over Providence this year. Conference play hasn't been much better but a road win over UConn by 16 last year and a 27 point route over Temple two years ago stand out.
01-17-2018 12:55 AM
Advertisement

DowdyPirate2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
Pirates own USF on the road
01-17-2018 01:10 AM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
03-lmfao good Lord. It has to be past these children's bed time. How embarrassing.
01-17-2018 01:27 AM
pvtlamb Offline
Special Teams

Of course most of those are MVC games, but so what? Off the top of my head, those road victories also include Davidson, VCU, OU, Tulsa, Alabama, Colorado State, Detroit, Air Force, St. Louis 2x. That does not include any exempt tournament wins.

WSU is a great road team, one of the best in the country. If it was so easy someone else in the AAC would be at least close to WSU's record.
01-17-2018 08:51 AM
TU4ever Offline
All American

(01-17-2018 08:51 AM)pvtlamb Wrote:  Of course most of those are MVC games, but so what? Off the top of my head, those road victories also include Davidson, VCU, OU, Tulsa, Alabama, Colorado State, Detroit, Air Force, St. Louis 2x. That does not include any exempt tournament wins.

WSU is a great road team, one of the best in the country. If it was so easy someone else in the AAC would be at least close to WSU's record.

Your not making your case very well OU might be the only team you listed who would be top 50 but I would have to check what year that road win was. St. Louis hasn't been good in a while and vcu has been good/okay, Davidson was probably solid.

Well if 40+ of the games were against plus 150 MVC teams I'm sure most of this league would have wsu's record or better. I would say wsu is a unknown for the road in the AAC. I see| four maybe five away losses and a sweep at home.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2018 12:17 PM by TU4ever.)
01-17-2018 12:16 PM
Wudizzle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wichita State
(01-17-2018 12:16 PM)TU4ever Wrote:  I see| four maybe five away losses and a sweep at home.

So, you think WSU is going to lose 4 or 5 of their 6 remaining league road games? Bold take.
01-17-2018 12:18 PM
Advertisement

pvtlamb Offline
Special Teams

(01-17-2018 12:16 PM)TU4ever Wrote:  
(01-17-2018 08:51 AM)pvtlamb Wrote:  Of course most of those are MVC games, but so what? Off the top of my head, those road victories also include Davidson, VCU, OU, Tulsa, Alabama, Colorado State, Detroit, Air Force, St. Louis 2x. That does not include any exempt tournament wins.

Your not making your case very well OU might be the only team you listed who would be top 50 but I would have to check what year that road win was. St. Louis hasn't been good in a while and vcu has been good/okay, Davidson was probably solid.

Well if 40+ of the games were against plus 150 MVC teams I'm sure most of this league would have wsu's record or better. I would say wsu is a unknown for the road in the AAC. I see| four maybe five away losses and a sweep at home.

I am sure you know how to read. That is a strong case because many teams really don't play on the road and the ones that do, frequently lose. Alabama, CSU and Davidson were all strong teams the years we played them. We beat a RANKED St. Louis team at their place their year they made the Sweet 16.

Feel free to compare that road record to all other AAC teams over the last four or five years, starting with Tulsa. Road games are hard. Just ask Duke this year.

Taking a quick glace at Tulsa, you lost @Arkansas-Little Rock last year (and were demolished at WSU). You already lost @ Ill State this year! You recently lost @ Oregon State. I could go on and on.

So not only does WSU win tons of conference road games, they win a ton of non-conference road games. Most teams just aren't as good on the road as WSU is. That is very simple to understand.
01-17-2018 12:37 PM
Wheatshock Offline
Aviation Addict

I Root For: Wichita

The VCU road win was the year after their final four, and 1 of the St Louis wins was the last good year they made the NCAA's. The OU win is a tough one to judge, they were top 50 at the time and looking pretty good but lost their best player and senior leader for the season in the next game and hit the skids for a while.

FWIW I mostly agree with you that WSU on the road in the AAC is somewhat of an unknown as a fair bit of the competition is tougher. However road games are hard at any level and I still like our chances in most games and think we'll end up with a very good record.

I believe the most important part of consistently winning on the road is being mentally tough and experienced. There are lots of talented teams that really struggle on the road while others excel and the difference between the two seems to come down to experience and mentality. WSU has both of those qualities as does Cincy.
01-17-2018 12:48 PM
TU4ever Offline
All American

(01-17-2018 12:37 PM)pvtlamb Wrote:  

I am sure you know how to read. That is a strong case because many teams really don't play on the road and the ones that do, frequently lose. Alabama, CSU and Davidson were all strong teams the years we played them. We beat a RANKED St. Louis team at their place their year they made the Sweet 16.

Feel free to compare that road record to all other AAC teams over the last four or five years, starting with Tulsa. Road games are hard. Just ask Duke this year.

Taking a quick glace at Tulsa, you lost @Arkansas-Little Rock last year (and were demolished at WSU). You already lost @ Ill State this year! You recently lost @ Oregon State. I could go on and on.

So not only does WSU win tons of conference road games, they win a ton of non-conference road games. Most teams just aren't as good on the road as WSU is. That is very simple to understand.

Why do you keep bringing up Tulsa? Does Tulsa claim it is a the best road team in the country and point to a streak where 90% of the games were against MVC teams ranked in the 200s?

How many of your current players were on that sweet sixteen? Almost nobody. Most of whom played little.

Oh wait you didn't even play st. Louis on the road in 2014-15? That was at home? But you lost on the road to Utah?

I don't have time to dig through and sort out your claims but just on a spot check I am very skeptical. Neutral games aren't road games.

It appears at a glance that you have only played at 5 or 6 top100 teams in your five year period and have lost most of those games.

But by all means let's compare Cincy or UConn or Temples recent road record vs SMU, Houston, UCF, each other, UCLA, villanova, Xavier, Louisville etc vs your record against Drake, uni, Missouri St, Alabama, and St. Louis. Saddly you will find that many of them are very close playing a far more difficult schedule. Infact Cincy may have a better 5 year road record as I think about it.

You lose at Cincy, at SMU, probably at Houston, and have toss ups in the rest of the games this year.
01-17-2018 12:57 PM
TU4ever Offline
All American

(01-17-2018 12:48 PM)Wheatshock Wrote:  

The VCU road win was the year after their final four, and 1 of the St Louis wins was the last good year they made the NCAA's. The OU win is a tough one to judge, they were top 50 at the time and looking pretty good but lost their best player and senior leader for the season in the next game and hit the skids for a while.

FWIW I mostly agree with you that WSU on the road in the AAC is somewhat of an unknown as a fair bit of the competition is tougher. However road games are hard at any level and I still like our chances in most games and think we'll end up with a very good record.

I believe the most important part of consistently winning on the road is being mentally tough and experienced. There are lots of talented teams that really struggle on the road while others excel and the difference between the two seems to come down to experience and mentality. WSU has both of those qualities as does Cincy.

100%^^^

We will see. I think the real return for wsu joining the conference will be next year. A team who got pushed in conference, had tougher road games, and a good NCAA run will be fire tested. They will be around as good next as they are this year just for the experience.
01-17-2018 01:01 PM
Wheatshock Offline
Aviation Addict

Seems like the main argument is that 'the MVC wasn't as tough as the AAC so WSU's road record is inflated by playing weak competition'. I took out the fluff and pulled WSU's road record only against the top 150 in Kenpom over the last 5 years (including this year) and also broke it down by top 100 and top 50.

Top 150 21-6
Top 100 12-5
Top 50 2-4

Conclusion: winning percentage was inversely proportionally to the quality of the opponent which is no surprise but overall still very nice results. I don't expect WSU's road winning percentage to stay as high as it was due to the increase in competition but I also don't think it will fall off a cliff.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2018 01:17 PM by Wheatshock.)
01-17-2018 01:11 PM
Advertisement

Wheatshock Offline
Aviation Addict

(01-17-2018 01:01 PM)TU4ever Wrote:  
(01-17-2018 12:48 PM)Wheatshock Wrote:  

100%^^^

We will see. I think the real return for wsu joining the conference will be next year. A team who got pushed in conference, had tougher road games, and a good NCAA run will be fire tested. They will be around as good next as they are this year just for the experience.

Next years team will be a different animal. We have 6 seniors that all get regular minutes and stand a good chance that one underclassman will go pro. Next years team should be at least as talented (possibly more talented) but will definitely have some growing pains.
01-17-2018 01:15 PM
pvtlamb Offline
Special Teams

(01-17-2018 12:57 PM)TU4ever Wrote:  

Why do you keep bringing up Tulsa? Does Tulsa claim it is a the best road team in the country and point to a streak where 90% of the games were against MVC teams ranked in the 200s?

How many of your current players were on that sweet sixteen? Almost nobody. Most of whom played little.

Oh wait you didn't even play st. Louis on the road in 2014-15? That was at home? But you lost on the road to Utah?

I don't have time to dig through and sort out your claims but just on a spot check I am very skeptical. Neutral games aren't road games.

It appears at a glance that you have only played at 5 or 6 top100 teams in your five year period and have lost most of those games.

But by all means let's compare Cincy or UConn or Temples recent road record vs SMU, Houston, UCF, each other, UCLA, villanova, Xavier, Louisville etc vs your record against Drake, uni, Missouri St, Alabama, and St. Louis. Saddly you will find that many of them are very close playing a far more difficult schedule. Infact Cincy may have a better 5 year road record as I think about it.

You lose at Cincy, at SMU, probably at Houston, and have toss ups in the rest of the games this year.

I'm not sure what is so difficult here. Exactly what are you arguing? Marshall and WSU, with lots of different players, is consistently good on the road, and better than most of the country. There is no reason not to think that won't continue.

WSU will not lose at SMU or Houston. With Houston's attendance issues, WSU fans might be 50% of the crowd like they were in Tulsa.

WSU will favored in all of their remaining games except @Cincy.
01-17-2018 01:17 PM
Wheatshock Offline
Aviation Addict

(01-17-2018 01:17 PM)pvtlamb Wrote:  

I'm not sure what is so difficult here. Exactly what are you arguing? Marshall and WSU, with lots of different players, is consistently good on the road, and better than most of the country. There is no reason not to think that won't continue.

WSU will not lose at SMU or Houston. With Houston's attendance issues, WSU fans might be 50% of the crowd like they were in Tulsa.

Never say never. I believe we can win both but road wins against top 50 opponents are very hard to come by. I also have a feeling a few more fans that usual will show up at the Houston game.
01-17-2018 01:22 PM
TU4ever Offline
All American

(01-17-2018 01:17 PM)pvtlamb Wrote:  

Apparently your reading comprehension is the difficult process. You are 2-4 vs the top 50 on the road the last 5 years. You have 6 games vs the to 50 on the road in five years. This year you will like play 3 vs the top 50, all conference teams. In five years you are 12-5 vs the to 100, you will probably play 7 or 8 games this year vs the top 100 on the road just in this conference.

We have no idea how good you are on the road. You will play half as many games in this conference on the road vs good teams as you have in 5 years. That's a huge step up. Hard to assume continued success based on that.

By the way good thing fans don't play or Houston would be in trouble eh?
01-17-2018 01:29 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.