Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC Tournament To Raleigh?
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
ACC Tournament To Raleigh?
Luke Decock at the Raleigh News and Observer is making the case for the ACC Tournament to come to Raleigh for its 75 anniversary. He even makes the case for the opening games to be at Reynolds Coliseum on the NCSU campus. That's where the earliest ACC Tournaments were held. What do you think?
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2018 09:26 AM by Hallcity.)
01-18-2018 09:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dawgitall Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU/ASU/NCSU
RE: ACC Tournament To Raleigh?
(01-18-2018 09:20 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  Luke Decock at the Raleigh News and Observer is making the case for the ACC Tournament to come to Raleigh for its 75 anniversary. He even makes the case for the opening games to be at Reynolds Coliseum on the NCSU campus. That's where the earliest ACC Tournaments were held. What do you think?

Yes
01-18-2018 09:51 AM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
As a one-time anniversary thing, YES.
01-18-2018 09:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(01-18-2018 09:20 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  Luke Decock at the Raleigh News and Observer is making the case for the ACC Tournament to come to Raleigh for its 75 anniversary. He even makes the case for the opening games to be at Reynolds Coliseum on the NCSU campus. That's where the earliest ACC Tournaments were held. What do you think?

Not a chance.
01-18-2018 11:05 AM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(01-18-2018 09:55 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  As a one-time anniversary thing, YES.

I'd be down with it...but at the expense of Greensboro or Charlotte losing a slot
01-18-2018 11:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville

This^^^^

To help celebrate the ACC's long history that would indeed be cool. But as a this year only kinda thing.04-cheers
FLossY Out...04-wine
01-18-2018 02:31 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(01-18-2018 02:31 PM)HRFlossY Wrote:  

This^^^^

To help celebrate the ACC's long history that would indeed be cool. But as a this year only kinda thing.04-cheers
FLossY Out...04-wine

The tournament is going to be in NC on a regular basis. That's a given. Permanently settling the tournament in NYC isn't going to happen. The ACC has its choice of Charlotte, Greensboro or Raleigh. The Greensboro Coliseum is huge and has good sight lines. The ACC has a lot of history in Greensboro. However, the area around the Greensboro Coliseum is quite unattractive and the city is doing little about it. The arena in Charlotte is downtown which is nice. However, it's got an incredible number of luxury boxes which take up so much space that there aren't many good seats otherwise. I've been there and don't like it. The PNC Arena in Raleigh isn't downtown but it's got better sight lines. It's where NCSU plays but also the Carolina Hurrlcanes NHL franchise. (If we're talking about 10 years from now, there's a decent chance that Raleigh will have a new area downtown. If so, NCSU probably won't playing there.) Raleigh is also in the heart of ACC country to say the least. Both Raleigh and Charlotte are vibrant cities. If you think of Raleigh as a small city, you're behind the times. The Raleigh metro area has about the same population as Oklahoma City and Memphis and is larger than New Orleans, Salt Lake City, Buffalo and Knoxville. Raleigh is growing at an astounding rate. And, by the way, I'm definitely a foodie. I assure you that the dining options in the Raleigh area are quite good. They're far superior to Greensboro's. They may surpass even Atlanta's. See Ashley Christensen''s places, for example.
01-18-2018 03:56 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(01-18-2018 03:56 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  
(01-18-2018 02:31 PM)HRFlossY Wrote:  

This^^^^

FLossY Out...04-wine

The tournament is going to be in NC on a regular basis. That's a given. Permanently settling the tournament in NYC isn't going to happen. The ACC has its choice of Charlotte, Greensboro or Raleigh. The Greensboro Coliseum is huge and has good sight lines. The ACC has a lot of history in Greensboro. However, the area around the Greensboro Coliseum is quite unattractive and the city is doing little about it. The arena in Charlotte is downtown which is nice. However, it's got an incredible number of luxury boxes which take up so much space that there aren't many good seats otherwise. I've been there and don't like it. The PNC Arena in Raleigh isn't downtown but it's got better sight lines. It's where NCSU plays but also the Carolina Hurrlcanes NHL franchise. (If we're talking about 10 years from now, there's a decent chance that Raleigh will have a new area downtown. If so, NCSU probably won't playing there.) Raleigh is also in the heart of ACC country to say the least. Both Raleigh and Charlotte are vibrant cities. If you think of Raleigh as a small city, you're behind the times. The Raleigh metro area has about the same population as Oklahoma City and Memphis and is larger than New Orleans, Salt Lake City, Buffalo and Knoxville. Raleigh is growing at an astounding rate. And, by the way, I'm definitely a foodie. I assure you that the dining options in the Raleigh area are quite good. They're far superior to Greensboro's. They may surpass even Atlanta's. See Ashley Christensen''s places, for example.

Raleigh is fine as a host city. PNC is probably ok, too (I think Reynolds is just too small). Too bad they couldn't find a way to keep the old Charlotte Coliseum on Tyvola Road - that was plenty big enough. I guess they didn't want the new arena to have competition?
01-18-2018 05:41 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Playing the baseball tournament in Greenville, SC gives Clemson an unnatural homefield advantage but playing the basketball tournament in the home gym of one of the members is OK.

And people wonder why I hate this Godforsaken conference.
01-18-2018 06:23 PM
Indytarheel Online
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
(01-18-2018 06:23 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  Playing the baseball tournament in Greenville, SC gives Clemson an unnatural homefield advantage but playing the basketball tournament in the home gym of one of the members is OK.

The difference is Clemson being a baseball power at the time and of recent history while State has not been on that level for quite some time. Not really sure if it would be an advantage for State to play in their "home" gym.
01-19-2018 10:19 AM
Advertisement

CharmCityTiger Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Clemson
(01-19-2018 10:19 AM)Indytarheel Wrote:  
(01-18-2018 06:23 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  Playing the baseball tournament in Greenville, SC gives Clemson an unnatural homefield advantage but playing the basketball tournament in the home gym of one of the members is OK.

The difference is Clemson being a baseball power at the time and of recent history while State has not been on that level for quite some time. Not really sure if it would be an advantage for State to play in their "home" gym.

Clemson is about 40 miles from Greenville. Approximately the same distance both UNC and Duke are to Raleigh.
01-19-2018 11:08 AM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
Was this done for the 50th? Then why is 75 so special? In a hypothetical, it would only make sense from a historic perspective if it was played at Reynolds, which on its own, is not even one of the more historic arenas like the Palestra, or Phogg, or Kemper. But playing a conference tournament on someone's campus or home floor in this day and age is absolutely not acceptable. It is bushleague. And Raleigh is no destination, not that Greensboro is either.

Bring this up again in 25 years, when it would still be a dumb idea.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2018 12:46 PM by CrazyPaco.)
01-19-2018 12:42 PM
dawgitall Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU/ASU/NCSU
(01-19-2018 12:42 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  Was this done for the 50th? Then why is 75 so special? In a hypothetical, it would only make sense from a historic perspective if it was played at Reynolds, which on its own, is not even one of the more historic arenas like the Palestra, or Phogg, or Kemper. But playing a conference tournament on someone's campus or home floor in this day and age is absolutely not acceptable. It is bushleague. And Raleigh is no destination, not that Greensboro is either.

Bring this up again in 25 years, when it would still be a dumb idea.

You do realize that Raleigh is where Barney went to party don't you?

01-20-2018 04:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.