Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If You Were a Recruit Are You...
Bookmark and Share
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jenna Webb
If You Were a Recruit Are You...
A. The type that's going to have your "me" moment waiting to announce your decisions in front of the whole school where you pick the hat of the school of your choice while confetti rains down?

or

B. The type that's just going to sign (and for some reason in '18 still fax your piece of paper) in and go about your day?
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 11:06 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
02-06-2018 10:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jenna Webb
RE: If You Were a Recruit Are You...
Not to ask and not answer...

I get the hoopla, because it's a monumental decision but we don't provide the Hollywood moments for the kids who are picking between MIT and Harvard on an artificial intelligence scholarship. When it first happened back in the day it was kind of novel and I guess cool, but it seems overdone now.

For me, I might still be willing to have the local paper (or its digital equivalent) do the proverbial photo op with the parents and coaches just to have the record of it, but that's literally as far as I would go. IMO, having the whole school leave class and head to the auditorium so a football player who's managed to snug in that 2.299 GPA can tell the whole word where he is going to college is an affront to the academic setting. And I say that as someone who really loves college football.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 11:05 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
02-06-2018 11:03 PM
stanman505 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP
I don't believe in the keeping it a secret and a special selection with suspense. I do like the idea of having the team and any friends and teachers of the athlete meeting to celebrate the accomplishment. My daughter signed her LOI almost 4 years ago and she decided that she wanted to include her friends and teachers in a celebration. It was important to her that she got the chance to thank all of her teachers, teammates and coaches for helping her along the way. I can tell you that it is not an easy decision, or at least it wasn't for my daughter. It came down to a choice between a full ride at a D1 school that had mediocre academics and a few D2 schools with better academics but not as much money available. She is extremely happy with her decision and so are my wife and I. I say let them celebrate however they want.
02-06-2018 11:13 PM
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
I despise the productions and the tease where the highly touted recruit has a bunch of caps in front of him and he picks up and puts down caps to get a reaction before selecting the one cap of the school he's signing with.
02-07-2018 07:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
I think it depends on the parents' Facebook annoying quota. If the parents are the types who post every single update on their kids athletic/academic high school successes, then chances are the kids are apt to be publicity hounds too.
02-07-2018 07:47 AM
banker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
I prefer the Ron Swanson approach. I would release a statement saying that I had decided to a play a sport at a college.
02-07-2018 09:46 AM
SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
My daughter will be signing to play soccer in the next few weeks. She wants a small gathering in the school auditorium to thank her teachers, coaches and teammates. We know where she is going so it won't be a bunch of hoopla. Girl athletes at her school don't get a lot of attention anyway.

I personally don't like all the production. Just seems too out there. Jmo.
02-07-2018 10:32 AM

techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
B
02-07-2018 11:48 AM
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: Marshall U

Donators
When I was a football recruit in my younger glory days LOL I was more concerned with passing grades and praying I would even be able to play. Needless to say my grades didn’t pan out and my 18 year old ego didn’t want to go to Junior College so I ran off and joined the Army so I would have college money and no scholarship would be needed.

Signing day in 1995 was a lot different back then anyway. A bunch of my teammates that signed ath 1-A schools didn’t make a big issue of it but at my school it was pretty common that players signed so it wasn’t anything that spectacular like at some schools.
02-07-2018 11:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TrueBlueDrew Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
If I was a highly sought after recruit who thinks I might play in the NFL one day, I would probably milk the attention a little.

But if I was just a player who was trying to pick the best scholarship offer so I could get a degree while playing the sport I love, I think I would just send in the NLI.
02-07-2018 12:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.