Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach
Bookmark and Share
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach
Just now on Jason and John. John Martin also has a couple of related tweets. They followed that interview with the list of elite recruits they've heard would follow Penny to Memphis. Something needs to be worked out with Tubby by years end. A huge opportunity will needlessly be missed by this administration otherwise.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2018 01:35 PM by Tigers2B1.)
02-13-2018 01:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

fishman6581 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Tigers
RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach
I'll tell you what. Penny is playing this perfectly. OM opens. Puts out he'd talk to them. Puts out he'd talk to UK. Now has his trainer on the radio saying Team USA offered him an assistant coaching job. I'd like to know who he has pulling the strings.
02-13-2018 01:38 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
Admin might as well play to the crowd this time.

Then they can really point the finger at us if it goes sour, instead of yelling at us for not coming out for the games.
02-13-2018 01:38 PM
jamammy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-13-2018 01:38 PM)fishman6581 Wrote:  I'll tell you what. Penny is playing this perfectly. OM opens. Puts out he'd talk to them. Puts out he'd talk to UK. Now has his trainer on the radio saying Team USA offered him an assistant coaching job. I'd like to know who he has pulling the strings.

It's not new news that Penny wants to be a D1 head coach.

This has been talked about since the year BEFORE Josh left.

What is happening is what happens when the freaking UNIVERSE is screaming HIRE PENNY HARDAWAY!!!

Energy and chakras and whatnot.

HIRE PENNY HARDAWAY!!!!
02-13-2018 01:58 PM
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

It’s nothing new. He wanted to be a D1 coach for the past few years. Yes, at one time before all he wanted to do was to kick back and play golf...etc. but people do change their minds about things and potential job opportunities
02-13-2018 02:32 PM
jgardne Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
This board has lost its collective mind about Penny. Maybe he'd be good, maybe he wouldn't. He is not a sure things, those players aren't sure things to follow him, and then what is the gameplan in 2 years when his player connections are dried up?

Y'all aren't thinking clearly about this situation.
02-13-2018 02:35 PM
Advertisement

jgardne Offline
Heisman

(02-13-2018 02:32 PM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  It’s nothing new. He wanted to be a D1 coach for the past few years. Yes, at one time before all he wanted to do was to kick back and play golf...etc. but people do change their minds about things and potential job opportunities

If he wants to be a D-1 coach he should go out and earn it then. Join a college or pro staff.
02-13-2018 02:35 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(02-13-2018 01:33 PM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  Just now on Jason and John. John Martin also has a couple of related tweets. They followed that interview with the list of elite recruits they've heard would follow Penny to Memphis. Something needs to be worked out with Tubby by years end. A huge opportunity will needlessly be missed by this administration otherwise.

The key part for me is that the gentleman would not publically comment about Penny’s D-1 coaching ambition without Penny’s approval.

IMO, it is a clear sign the Penny is lobbying for the Tiger head coach position, although I concede I may be reading too much into it.
02-13-2018 02:38 PM
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

(02-13-2018 01:33 PM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  Just now on Jason and John. John Martin also has a couple of related tweets. They followed that interview with the list of elite recruits they've heard would follow Penny to Memphis. Something needs to be worked out with Tubby by years end. A huge opportunity will needlessly be missed by this administration otherwise.

This is too easy. It’s nothing you have to think about. You inform Penny you’re going to hire him. Finish the season. Move Tubby out of the way by whatever means necessary. Hire Penny and have a press conference at FedEx Forum in front of a very happy rocking crowd. 04-rock02-13-banana04-cheers
02-13-2018 02:41 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-13-2018 02:38 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  

The key part for me is that the gentleman would not publically comment about Penny’s D-1 coaching ambition without Penny’s approval.

IMO, it is a clear sign the Penny is lobbying for the Tiger head coach position, although I concede I may be reading too much into it.

That's what I got out of this too. If Penny is really leaving East at the end of this season this might be his way of saying I'm here --- add me to the calculus.
02-13-2018 02:48 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(02-13-2018 02:38 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  

He's been lobbying for 5 years
02-13-2018 02:50 PM
Advertisement

TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

[Image: DV8EQQIWkAAsef1.jpg]
02-13-2018 02:56 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

hahaha, they going all in.
02-13-2018 03:00 PM
cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
There is absolutely no reason on this earth not to do this.

"then what is the gameplan in 2 years when his player connections are dried up?"

Nothing nearly as bad as what we got now. Don't know if Penny will be the next Krzyzewski, but so what. I know he won't be the next Tubby. Most likely we'll be back in the top 25 or better with the next crop of Memphis players competing to get Penny to pick them, most likely. And Penny has already said in interviews he would go after great assistants, I don't think he'd retain Saul, might even get Keelon and the kids back here.

If there was no Penny out there begging, I'd probably even wait another year while looking for the very best candidate I could for under $2,000,000. But he's right there staring us in the face. Do it.
02-13-2018 03:11 PM
jgardne Offline
Heisman

(02-13-2018 03:11 PM)cmt Wrote:  There is absolutely no reason on this earth not to do this.

"then what is the gameplan in 2 years when his player connections are dried up?"

Nothing nearly as bad as what we got now. Don't know if Penny will be the next Krzyzewski, but so what. I know he won't be the next Tubby. Most likely we'll be back in the top 25 or better with the next crop of Memphis players competing to get Penny to pick them, most likely. And Penny has already said in interviews he would go after great assistants, I don't think he'd retain Saul, might even get Keelon and the kids back here.

If there was no Penny out there begging, I'd probably even wait another year while looking for the very best candidate I could for under $2,000,000. But he's right there staring us in the face. Do it.

Buy why is Penny better than a Chris Beard or Steve Forbes who has had success at smaller programs? Because he wants to doesn't factor into it.

Tubby Smith, when you consider contract and support to results, is about the worst coach in Divison 1. Just because Penny isn't Tubby doesn't mean you must hire Penny. There are lots of options out there.

This seems like an extremely emotional, reactive choice by people.
02-13-2018 03:22 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

Ill take Penny or Forbes. That said I bet Mississippi hires Forbes before the Memphis Administration makes a decision on Tubby. But when the direction of this program is as horrible as it is you just don't continue in that direction. You have to do something. Anything.
02-13-2018 03:29 PM
Advertisement

jgardne Offline
Heisman

(02-13-2018 03:29 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Ill take Penny or Forbes. That said I bet Mississippi hires Forbes before the Memphis Administration makes a decision on Tubby. But when the direction of this program is as horrible as it is you just don't continue in that direction. You have to do something. Anything.

Clearly tubby has to be let go. The longer you keep him the worse it gets. He adds nothing to the program. Excitement? no. Fan support? No. Results? No. Recruits? no.

He is not building or generating anything to create or sustain any success.
02-13-2018 03:30 PM
rssumme Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tigers!
(02-13-2018 03:22 PM)jgardne Wrote:  
(02-13-2018 03:11 PM)cmt Wrote:  There is absolutely no reason on this earth not to do this.

Buy why is Penny better than a Chris Beard or Steve Forbes who has had success at smaller programs? Because he wants to doesn't factor into it.

Tubby Smith, when you consider contract and support to results, is about the worst coach in Divison 1. Just because Penny isn't Tubby doesn't mean you must hire Penny. There are lots of options out there.

This seems like an extremely emotional, reactive choice by people.

Forbes has a show clause and this admin has shown an obvious aversion to that.

Who said Chris Beard would want this job?

I think people forget that our job wasn't very attractive the last 2 times it was open. Penny has a real connection to the program and actually wants the gig.

Who are we hiring that is better and/or willing?
02-13-2018 03:31 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

Forbes show clause is over.
02-13-2018 03:35 PM
rssumme Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tigers!
(02-13-2018 03:35 PM)fsquid Wrote:  Forbes show clause is over.

On his record. I want him too, just pointing out that our admin might not...
02-13-2018 03:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.