Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

3 dozen D1 basketball programs could face NCAA penalties
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
3 dozen D1 basketball programs could face NCAA penalties
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2018 01:07 PM by CrimsonPhantom.)
02-14-2018 06:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: 3 dozen D1 basketball programs could face NCAA penalties
So if those sources are right, someone like WKU won’t be on it.
02-14-2018 07:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
The Important thing is UNC will be cleared of any wrongdoing since they offered to pay ALL incoming freshman. 05-stirthepot
02-14-2018 07:21 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
Certainly looks like the unnamed sources in that article are defense attorneys representing some of the people who have been charged. So maybe that information is correct, or maybe a lot of this is defense attorneys trying to plant the "Everybody does it, not just my client" story in the media. Example:

Quote:"The wrong people were charged," Einhorn said. "These people are part of a situation that is much bigger than them. It's hard for me to say with a straight face that these people charged are outliers. This is what NCAA basketball is, and it's been that way for a long time."
02-14-2018 07:27 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(02-14-2018 07:27 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Certainly looks like the unnamed sources in that article are defense attorneys representing some of the people who have been charged. So maybe that information is correct, or maybe a lot of this is defense attorneys trying to plant the "Everybody does it, not just my client" story in the media. Example:

Quote:"The wrong people were charged," Einhorn said. "These people are part of a situation that is much bigger than them. It's hard for me to say with a straight face that these people charged are outliers. This is what NCAA basketball is, and it's been that way for a long time."

Still, it wouldn't surprise me.

So what would the NCAA do then? Put 3 dozen of the top 4 dozen programs on probation? Hard to see them having the courage to do that.
02-14-2018 07:30 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(02-14-2018 07:09 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  So if those sources are right, someone like WKU won’t be on it.

Think more in terms of the top 32 seeds in the tournament.
02-14-2018 07:41 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

(02-14-2018 07:30 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(02-14-2018 07:27 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Certainly looks like the unnamed sources in that article are defense attorneys representing some of the people who have been charged. So maybe that information is correct, or maybe a lot of this is defense attorneys trying to plant the "Everybody does it, not just my client" story in the media. Example:

So what would the NCAA do then? Put 3 dozen of the top 4 dozen programs on probation? Hard to see them having the courage to do that.

The Keystone Kops at the NCAA couldn't prove and/or wouldn't want to prove 3 dozen cases even if the FBI gave them all the evidence on a silver platter.

As an aside, one of the amusing/pathetic things in that article is that the FBI dropped charges against one AAU coach/street agent because it turned out he kept the shoe company money for himself instead of giving it to the players' families. 07-coffee3
02-14-2018 07:51 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

Maybe the NCAA could buy their probation out with some of that 1 Billion dollar endowment they've squirreled away by taking the proceeds that those top 36 programs help to generate in their tourney.
02-14-2018 07:55 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Was this a split from another thread? I don't see the links/sources.
02-14-2018 10:23 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-14-2018 07:51 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

The Keystone Kops at the NCAA couldn't prove and/or wouldn't want to prove 3 dozen cases even if the FBI gave them all the evidence on a silver platter.

As an aside, one of the amusing/pathetic things in that article is that the FBI dropped charges against one AAU coach/street agent because it turned out he kept the shoe company money for himself instead of giving it to the players' families. 07-coffee3

How is that different from the ICE agent in Seattle that was using the illegals fake ID's for bank fraud.
02-14-2018 10:33 PM
fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
Thread title should be changed to:

3 dozen D1 basketball programs will never face NCAA penalties
02-14-2018 11:15 PM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(02-14-2018 11:15 PM)fishpro1098 Wrote:  Thread title should be changed to:

3 dozen D1 basketball programs who will never face NCAA penalties

I added something to the title, and now it's one of those slideshow click-bait articles. This stuff writes itself.
02-15-2018 05:31 AM
BearcatJerry Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(02-14-2018 06:45 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  

Yeah... No they won't.
02-15-2018 06:51 AM
Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
Hole-EEE-Schidt!

Cal State Bakersfield, UNO, and Rider are going to get crushed for this. I sure hope they get a kickback from the others they saved from actual consequences...
02-15-2018 11:18 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
What's the term, Nothingburger......

Zero will come of this. The NC 2A just got done giving a Tarzan call and showing how "tough" they are dealing with ND Football, that gives them enough juice to go back to being the Cowardly Lion for a could more years.....
02-15-2018 12:43 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I still believe the regional accrediting agencies need to step up. They have much broader authority than the NCAA. The problem is their tool box. They basically have two weapons. Strongly worded letter and shut down the school.
02-15-2018 01:23 PM
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(02-15-2018 01:23 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I still believe the regional accrediting agencies need to step up. They have much broader authority than the NCAA. The problem is their tool box. They basically have two weapons. Strongly worded letter and shut down the school.

The million dollar question is how does the system, not the institutions, change in order to ensure that these types of activities no longer occur? Right now, college football and basketball have become corrupted to the very top levels of schools, not because schools want to intentionally break rules and laws, but because the expectations and tolerance has just radically shifted over time.

I don't know how it gets fixed, or even what governing body would be capable of such oversight. Right now, however, it is clear the system needs an overhaul.
02-15-2018 02:16 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(02-15-2018 01:23 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I still believe the regional accrediting agencies need to step up. They have much broader authority than the NCAA. The problem is their tool box. They basically have two weapons. Strongly worded letter and shut down the school.

I suspect accrediting agencies aren't up to the task, either. Pulling accreditation is such a grave action, and, believe me, it's not something done quickly. Schools get a lot of chances to get their acts relatively together (not necessarily fully) to escape those situations.

UNC is a good example of that. They were warned. Probably should have been a bit more strict with them instead of the usual "two years or else" shtick, but they did something, and UNC, after getting off to a rough start, did a sufficient enough job to escape that part of the warning. Hopefully, they'll be looked at with a more critical eye in the future...I don't think the agency will. These things are committee-based, and UNC is going to have to have some haters on it to feel any kind of burn.
02-15-2018 03:21 PM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(02-15-2018 02:16 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  

The million dollar question is how does the system, not the institutions, change in order to ensure that these types of activities no longer occur? Right now, college football and basketball have become corrupted to the very top levels of schools, not because schools want to intentionally break rules and laws, but because the expectations and tolerance has just radically shifted over time.

I don't know how it gets fixed, or even what governing body would be capable of such oversight. Right now, however, it is clear the system needs an overhaul.

There's two types of people when it comes to getting the "hint" or figuring out the message.

Those who can read between the lines and "get it".

Those who need to be hit upside the head with a board.

I think at this point most schools have lost their fear of punishment. Sure, they might get a slap, an "off season ban" for a year or so, or lose a couple scholarships, but for the most part, the "rewards" of pushing the envelope far outweigh the risks.

Seems the solution is for the powers that be in college sports to bring out the hammer and lay waste to one (or more) big name programs who are breaking the rules. If the others see that Big Name U can get popped in the face, they'll all fall in line quickly.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018 03:48 PM by BadgerMJ.)
02-15-2018 03:47 PM
Wedge Offline

Some of this stuff might be hyperbole from people motivated to use the "Everybody does it" argument, as I mentioned above, but here are some more colorful statements about the information that the FBI investigation has collected:

Sources: College hoops corruption case poised to take down Hall of Fame coaches, top programs, lottery picks

Quote:Multiple sources who’ve been briefed on the case and are familiar with the material obtained by feds told Yahoo Sports that the impact on the sport will be substantial and relentless. Sitting under protective order right now are the fruits of 330 days of monitoring activity by the feds, which one assistant US Attorney noted Thursday was “a voluminous amount of material.” That includes wiretaps from 4,000 intercepted calls and thousands of documents and bank records obtained from raids and confiscated computers, including those from notorious NBA agent Andy Miller.

“This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches,” said a source who has been briefed on the details of the case. “When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”
Quote:What would happen if the information under protective order were to be released before the NCAA selection show on March 11?

A source who has been briefed on the case laughed: “You might see Tennessee-Chattanooga as a No. 2 seed.”
02-15-2018 06:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.