Open TigerLinks

Possible Steps on Getting Rid of Tubby - Your Input
Bookmark and Share
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
MyBB Possible Steps on Getting Rid of Tubby - Your Input
If you are of the opinion that discussion of ways to terminate Tubby's service is premature, then this thread is not for you and you are advised to ignore it. The thread's intent is generation of mature and rational discussion on the best method of dumping Tubby and not on the advisably of firing him. In other words, for the sake of this discussion, we will assume that the decision to fire Tubby has already taken place.

My Steps on Getting Rid of Tubby:

1. Investigate replacement coaches with reasonable assurance of achieving success and gauge their willingness to take our job. I would include Penny, assuming he is truly interested. I believe there are better options than Tubby, but if not there is no point in firing Tubby.

2. Do everything legally allowed to make Tubby uncomfortable so he will quit. The first step is firing his son. If not possible or fail, go to step 3.

3. Negotiate a settlement with Tubby. If fail, go to step 4.

4. Fire him after this season and pay him off over six years (assuming it is allowed).

5. Hire replacement coach within the budget already earmarked for Tubby when paid off over six years or hire replacement coach at market rate (means our boosters will dig deeper in their pockets).

Your steps/options?
02-17-2018 06:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Possible Steps on Getting Rid of Tubby - Your Input
Did you have a dream about this last night?
02-17-2018 07:08 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(02-17-2018 07:08 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  Did you have a dream about this last night?

It is a topic for discussion. Ignore it if you do not like it.
02-17-2018 07:23 AM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

Good luck on that “mature and rational discussion “ part, 1983, lol.
For my money, investigating possibilities for a new coach would either: a) light a fire under tubby and his staff, b) irrigate the hostility that’s already there between tubby and the city/fans, or c) possibly both a and b.
However, we would become a target for the national media who already think we are an impatient, unreasonable, trigger happy fan base.
02-17-2018 08:08 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
You got one option. #4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using CSNbbs mobile app
02-17-2018 08:32 AM
Trapper John Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
I think step (1) would be an ultimatum to overhaul the staff. More than likely Coach Smith would refuse, and the university would have a solid (sell-able) reason to initiate a buyout. This would allow both sides to take the high road. Coach Smith could say that he refused out of loyalty to his staff, and the university could say they bought him out because of a difference in vision for the future of the program. No firing, no resignation, no admittance of failure by the coach, no admittance of a mistake by the university.
02-17-2018 08:43 AM
Advertisement

Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

One step:

Come up with $10 million.
02-17-2018 08:53 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(02-17-2018 08:53 AM)Latilleon Wrote:  One step:

Come up with $10 million.

I assumed that Tubby's salary is a sunk cost that can be paid out over six years and thus allow part one of step 5. If my assumption is wrong, then it certainly limits our options.
02-17-2018 09:11 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-17-2018 06:53 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  If you are of the opinion that discussion of ways to terminate Tubby's service is premature, then this thread is not for you and you are advised to ignore it. The thread's intent is generation of mature and rational discussion on the best method of dumping Tubby and not on the advisably of firing him. In other words, for the sake of this discussion, we will assume that the decision to fire Tubby has already taken place.

My Steps on Getting Rid of Tubby:

1. Investigate replacement coaches with reasonable assurance of achieving success and gauge their willingness to take our job. I would include Penny, assuming he is truly interested. I believe there are better options than Tubby, but if not there is no point in firing Tubby.

2. Do everything legally allowed to make Tubby uncomfortable so he will quit. The first step is firing his son. If not possible or fail, go to step 3.

3. Negotiate a settlement with Tubby. If fail, go to step 4.

4. Fire him after this season and pay him off over six years (assuming it is allowed).

5. Hire replacement coach within the budget already earmarked for Tubby when paid off over six years or hire replacement coach at market rate (means our boosters will dig deeper in their pockets).

Your steps/options?

I think you ought to send this list to Rudd & Bowen - I'm certain they need your insight.
02-17-2018 09:31 AM
Bathtub Gin Offline
All American

I Root For: Free Market
Burn a lower case letter t in his front yard which symbolizes “time to leave”
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2018 09:34 AM by Bathtub Gin.)
02-17-2018 09:34 AM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

I’m certainly not against a change, but there are really two options which were both listed.

Negotiate a buyout that we can afford, or fire him and pay off his contract. Both require money and both require donors putting up the cash. I don’t think either will happen this year.
02-17-2018 10:03 AM
Advertisement

SpiderMan79x Offline
All American

(02-17-2018 09:34 AM)Bathtub Gin Wrote:  Burn a lower case letter t in his front yard which symbolizes “time to leave”

How is that different from the klan burning a cross in a black man's yard? Sounds like possibly the worst idea ever conceived.
02-17-2018 10:03 AM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

For the 1,287th time ——

They don’t have to pay Tubby the remaining $9 or 10m immediately in March if he is fired. They have 6 years to pay it off. The $ to do is there or else they wouldn’t have offered him the contract they did. This isn’t like Josh’s buyout nor does TS have the automatic rollover (thanks RC & Shirley)

Theoretically they could fire Tubby, pay him $1.6 for the next 6 years, hire Penny or Forbes or whoever at $1.2m a year and save money. Hell, give Norvell and/ or his staff the other 400k. They’ve earned it.

At some point, they’ll have to make the change. The athletic department can’t keep taking the financial hit that loss of donations, loss of ticket revenue and missions out on Grizz payment brings. The sooner the decide to cut their losses, the better off Tiger basketball will be.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2018 10:31 AM by MemTigers1998.)
02-17-2018 10:30 AM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
(02-17-2018 10:30 AM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  For the 1,287th time ——

They don’t have to pay Tubby the remaining $9 or 10m immediately in March if he is fired. They have 6 years to pay it off. The $ to do is there or else they wouldn’t have offered him the contract they did. This isn’t like Josh’s buyout nor does TS have the automatic rollover (thanks RC & Shirley)

Theoretically they could fire Tubby, pay him $1.6 for the next 6 years, hire Penny or Forbes or whoever at $1.2m a year and save money. Hell, give Norvell and/ or his staff the other 400k. They’ve earned it.

At some point, they’ll have to make the change. The athletic department can’t keep taking the financial hit that loss of donations, loss of ticket revenue and missions out on Grizz payment brings. The sooner the decide to cut their losses, the better off Tiger basketball will be.
Listen to this guy^^^^^
02-17-2018 10:33 AM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

Also, as for the OP, I wouldnt even jack around with trying to force staff changes. All Tubby will do is fire Joe E because he isn’t gonna can Saul or Pooh. Then you set the program up for 1 more year of Tubby-ball and we’re right back in this same spot in 365 days. Try to negotiate a settlement to save any $ they can. Let Tubby “retire” or something like that. If he doesn’t want to do that, pay him his money over the next 6 years and hire a coach who can recruit & energize the fans
02-17-2018 10:36 AM
tigersroll Offline
All American

Step 1: Fire him
Steps 2-4: Fire him

Get a guy in here that gives more effort and brings back excitement to the program.
02-17-2018 10:55 AM
Advertisement

Bathtub Gin Offline
All American

I Root For: Free Market
(02-17-2018 10:03 AM)SpiderMan79x Wrote:  
(02-17-2018 09:34 AM)Bathtub Gin Wrote:  Burn a lower case letter t in his front yard which symbolizes “time to leave”

How is that different from the klan burning a cross in a black man's yard? Sounds like possibly the worst idea ever conceived.

I take it that you don’t watch South Park
02-17-2018 10:59 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
No the man will demand his money fine, eff it.

Ok Tubby you go right ahead and finish out your contract but you get zero support of any kind from the university. No advertising, nothing. You go play .500 basketball in an empty Forum for the next three years then you and Saul pack your **** and GTFO.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2018 11:01 AM by bluebacker.)
02-17-2018 11:01 AM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

(02-17-2018 10:30 AM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  For the 1,287th time ——

Dude, most everyone knows about the payout.

You sound like a millennial. All THEY have to do is pay someone $1.6 million per year for the next 6 years. Easy to spend other people’s money. This university spends years trying to raise funds for infrastructure (IPF, etc).

Well when the next guy has a couple of mediocre seasons and doesn’t get us into the tournament by year 2, I guess we’ve got to go back and spend other people’s money again.

Every year the payout becomes lower, and I suspect if Tubby doesn’t get it us into the NCAA next year, he’s gone. I really doubt they’ll pay him off this year, but if a donor wants to pay him, I’m good with that. Very few people walk away from $3 million dollar/year jobs, but maybe he’d take less to move on. A negotiated settlement might happen, you never know....
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2018 11:07 AM by memtiger1987.)
02-17-2018 11:03 AM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

(02-17-2018 11:01 AM)bluebacker Wrote:  No the man will demand his money fine, eff it.

Ok Tubby you go right ahead and finish out your contract but you get zero support of any kind from the university. No advertising, nothing. You go play .500 basketball in an empty Forum for the next three years then you and Saul pack your **** and GTFO.

Wouldn’t you want to be paid too? I think most of us would.

The rest sounds like a great idea. Who are we hurting here? It’s not like we are ruining his career.
02-17-2018 11:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.