Pretty well done.
02-18-2018 02:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
RE: The Atheist Movie
you think god gives a f*ck about science?
02-18-2018 03:12 PM
Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio Poly
(02-18-2018 02:41 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Pretty well done.

I didn't watch it but I know it's silly.
02-18-2018 05:15 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(02-18-2018 05:15 PM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  

Pretty well done.

Do you know what you're REALLY doing? You're covering your ears with your hands and yelling "Falalalalalalalalalala, I can't see or hear what they're saying and I refuse to".

Many non-believers say that they can't believe in a God that doesn't show himself. Yet he shows himself in everything that we see. Take a look at the beauty of the earth, it wasn't created by itself because nothing can be created from nothing. Just the fact that the earth is dangling a perfect distance from the moon and the sun is proof that God created the heavens and the earth. If he hadn't we'd be toast or have already collided with the moon. They also say that how can believers believe in a God that they haven't seen. Yet these unbelievers will not hesitate to turn on their radio and listen to the music not realizing that through the airwaves that signal is coming into their radio. One can't see those airwaves but they believe they exist. The same with God, we can't see him but He is in us. Every fiber, every atom of our bodies is a creation of His. Give yourself to Him and you shall see a big change in your life/personality because you will be assured of everlasting life after this one through His grace. It's beautiful KNOWING that God has already built a home for His followers. I know I'll see it, there's no doubt.

Sometimes I pity Steven Hawkins because he is suffering through his illness here on earth, a hell on earth really and yet because he favors being an atheist when he dies there will be another hell waiting for him. That my friends is truly sad. He "THINKS" he is wiser than God and is putting his mind above that of the Creator.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2018 11:16 PM by olliebaba.)
02-18-2018 11:16 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
I watched about 30 minutes. Interesting premise. It should make any logical person reason to rethink thier belief that there is no higher power.

I remember seeing a documentary on all the things that have to go right for a healthly woman to get pregnant. After watching it, I was left with the feeling that the simple normal act of a woman having a child is actually kind of a miricle.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2018 11:31 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-18-2018 11:29 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(02-18-2018 11:16 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  

Pretty well done.

Do you know what you're REALLY doing? You're covering your ears with your hands and yelling "Falalalalalalalalalala, I can't see or hear what they're saying and I refuse to".

Many non-believers say that they can't believe in a God that doesn't show himself. Yet he shows himself in everything that we see. Take a look at the beauty of the earth, it wasn't created by itself because nothing can be created from nothing. Just the fact that the earth is dangling a perfect distance from the moon and the sun is proof that God created the heavens and the earth. If he hadn't we'd be toast or have already collided with the moon. They also say that how can believers believe in a God that they haven't seen. Yet these unbelievers will not hesitate to turn on their radio and listen to the music not realizing that through the airwaves that signal is coming into their radio. One can't see those airwaves but they believe they exist. The same with God, we can't see him but He is in us. Every fiber, every atom of our bodies is a creation of His. Give yourself to Him and you shall see a big change in your life/personality because you will be assured of everlasting life after this one through His grace. It's beautiful KNOWING that God has already built a home for His followers. I know I'll see it, there's no doubt.

Sometimes I pity Steven Hawkins because he is suffering through his illness here on earth, a hell on earth really and yet because he favors being an atheist when he dies there will be another hell waiting for him. That my friends is truly sad. He "THINKS" he is wiser than God and is putting his mind above that of the Creator.

The Earth's distance from the moon and sun proves nothing about god.
02-19-2018 12:10 PM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(02-19-2018 12:10 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Sometimes I pity Steven Hawkins because he is suffering through his illness here on earth, a hell on earth really and yet because he favors being an atheist when he dies there will be another hell waiting for him.

This god guy sounds like a dick - "here Hawkins have some debilitating disease making your life a hell on earth, then off to another hell because your didn't thank me enough for your pain and suffering."

Sorry no dice. I hope my body fertilizes a big field of beautiful flowers. Flowers that science understands evolved over the millennium from nothing.
02-19-2018 12:23 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
Just stopped the movie at about 3:30 seconds into it. Ray Comfort just made his first straw man argument in the form of the question: "Would you believe that a picture book could randomly fall from the sky due to random chance?" I am expecting that he'll conflate the Theory of Evolution with theories on origins a bit later. By all means, I'll continue to watch the movie and listen to the case he presents. However, so far he's off to a poor thought. The choice of atheists that he has interviewed - using the "man on the street" method - alone is set up to be deceitful on his part. The "man on the street" technique is designed to confirm bias because the intent is to find people who may not be the best choices for meaningful dialogue.

Ray Comfort can turn a lot of Christians away from his version of Christianity let alone atheists. You may as well get Kent Hovind and Ken Ham to provide compelling evidence while you're at it.
02-19-2018 01:04 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
(02-19-2018 12:23 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(02-19-2018 12:10 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Sometimes I pity Steven Hawkins because he is suffering through his illness here on earth, a hell on earth really and yet because he favors being an atheist when he dies there will be another hell waiting for him.

This god guy sounds like a dick - "here Hawkins have some debilitating disease making your life a hell on earth, then off to another hell because your didn't thank me enough for your pain and suffering."

Sorry no dice. I hope my body fertilizes a big field of beautiful flowers. Flowers that science understands evolved over the millennium from nothing.

Ever seen an unattended grave yard? It's all weeds buddy. Only flowers at grave yards is from the living. More than likely you will vanish like the missing link. You can choose to be burned like the Indians and Vikings. But those are based on faith and belief.

It's against the law to use humane remains as fertilizer.
Unless you are in North Korea.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2018 01:13 PM by Dasville.)
02-19-2018 01:11 PM
miko33 Offline

(02-19-2018 01:11 PM)Dasville Wrote:  

Ever seen an unattended grave yard? It's all weeds buddy. Only flowers at grave yards is from the living. More than likely you will vanish like the missing link. You can choose to be burned like the Indians and Vikings. But those are based on faith and belief.

https://greenburialcouncil.org/home/what...en-burial/

[Image: 1376960.jpg?48]
02-19-2018 01:17 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
(02-19-2018 01:17 PM)miko33 Wrote:  
(02-19-2018 01:11 PM)Dasville Wrote:  

https://greenburialcouncil.org/home/what...en-burial/

[Image: 1376960.jpg?48]

Green indeed. Flowers are Heavenly. To each their own. Judgement is not ours.
02-19-2018 01:31 PM
Advertisement

umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
We know space, matter and time had a beginning. Even atheistic scientists such as Hawking admit this.

The catalyst for the beginning of space, matter and time had to be:
  • Spaceless
  • Timeless
  • Immaterial
  • Personal - to choose to initiate the universe
  • Powerful - to cause the universe to come into being
  • Intelligent - to design the universe to continue

To address the beginning of all that is material, the materialist has to stop at the point of beginning. They rule out other possibilities by definition. They can not contribute to discussion regarding the cause of the known universe.

Oh, they try to offer things like the quantum vacuum or the multi-verse, but the quantum vacuum actually is something rather than nothing and the multi-verse can't be tested by their own self-defined criteria (it's not observable). And even if the multi-verse existed the several multi-verses would all still fall back to that point of actual beginning.
02-19-2018 01:41 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(02-19-2018 01:04 PM)miko33 Wrote:  Just stopped the movie at about 3:30 seconds into it. Ray Comfort just made his first straw man argument in the form of the question: "Would you believe that a picture book could randomly fall from the sky due to random chance?" I am expecting that he'll conflate the Theory of Evolution with theories on origins a bit later. By all means, I'll continue to watch the movie and listen to the case he presents. However, so far he's off to a poor thought. The choice of atheists that he has interviewed - using the "man on the street" method - alone is set up to be deceitful on his part. The "man on the street" technique is designed to confirm bias because the intent is to find people who may not be the best choices for meaningful dialogue.

Ray Comfort can turn a lot of Christians away from his version of Christianity let alone atheists. You may as well get Kent Hovind and Ken Ham to provide compelling evidence while you're at it.

I got a little bit farther into it but had the same thought. Evolution isn't just random like he is suggesting.

Even people, when they invented printing, didn't start off with color printers and fancy bindings. I also agree on the man-on-the-street technique. I believe Lawrence Krauss, the physicist, is the one you can get something out of "nothing". And even if you can't, a supernatural being appearing out of nowhere would be even more surprising.

Dawkins is a biologist so I think he's a little out of his depth there. And people on the street probably don't know the details of evolution, but believe the scientists that study it, instead of hocus-pocus.
02-19-2018 01:45 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

(02-19-2018 12:10 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

Pretty well done.

A bit closer all life would burn up, a bit farther we'd freeze.

Actually, it's just one of the "settings" needed to sustain life. There are many others.

In an accidental, random universe there are so many factors which are way to precise to support the universe's existence as well as life within the universe.

02-19-2018 01:53 PM
miko33 Offline

(02-19-2018 01:41 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  We know space, matter and time had a beginning. Even atheistic scientists such as Hawking admit this.

• Spaceless
  • Timeless
  • Immaterial

To address the beginning of all that is material, the materialist has to stop at the point of beginning. They rule out other possibilities by definition. They can not contribute to discussion regarding the cause of the known universe.

Oh, they try to offer things like the quantum vacuum or the multi-verse, but the quantum vacuum actually is something rather than nothing and the multi-verse can't be tested by their own self-defined criteria (it's not observable). And even if the multi-verse existed the several multi-verses would all still fall back to that point of actual beginning.

The issue with this line of reasoning is that the same questions remain whether our universe was created by a higher power or if it did in fact come about from "nothing". Who created God? The argument Comfort presents is built on the premise of complexity - which I suspect is going to come from Michael Behe's "irreducible complexity" theory for why Intelligent Design trumps Evolution. That's getting ahead of ourselves here but not really according to Comfort because he's already set the table to conflate theories on origins with the theory of evolution.

Back on track. Comfort's case will be we were created because of the complexity of our universe, and that slight variations in the physical laws will cause our universe to be inhospitable to life. Considering how much life we've observed so far - the universe really IS INHOSPITABLE to life. But I digress... If the argument of complexity of our universe and earth specifically screams for a designer and a creator - then the argument is infinitely stronger for there to have been a designer and creator for God. This line of argumentation - IMHO - carries zero merit.

I'm at the 10:00 mark of the movie.
02-19-2018 01:59 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(02-19-2018 01:53 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  
(02-19-2018 12:10 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

Pretty well done.

A bit closer all life would burn up, a bit farther we'd freeze.

Actually, it's just one of the "settings" needed to sustain life. There are many others.

In an accidental, random universe there are so many factors which are way to precise to support the universe's existence as well as life within the universe.

The point is, the fact that we are here (and that conditions allow that) says nothing about whether god exists.
02-19-2018 02:05 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

(02-19-2018 01:41 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  We know space, matter and time had a beginning. Even atheistic scientists such as Hawking admit this.

• Spaceless
  • Timeless
  • Immaterial

Absolutely nothing related to god can be tested, so that's hardly a point in religion's defense, even if true.
02-19-2018 02:09 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(02-19-2018 01:59 PM)miko33 Wrote:  The issue with this line of reasoning is that the same questions remain whether our universe was created by a higher power or if it did in fact come about from "nothing". Who created God?

...and this is why this argument will most likely never be settled, at least in my lifetime.
02-19-2018 02:16 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

(02-19-2018 01:59 PM)miko33 Wrote:  

• Spaceless
  • Timeless
  • Immaterial

The issue with this line of reasoning is that the same questions remain whether our universe was created by a higher power or if it did in fact come about from "nothing". Who created God? The argument Comfort presents is built on the premise of complexity - which I suspect is going to come from Michael Behe's "irreducible complexity" theory for why Intelligent Design trumps Evolution. That's getting ahead of ourselves here but not really according to Comfort because he's already set the table to conflate theories on origins with the theory of evolution.

Back on track. Comfort's case will be we were created because of the complexity of our universe, and that slight variations in the physical laws will cause our universe to be inhospitable to life. Considering how much life we've observed so far - the universe really IS INHOSPITABLE to life. But I digress... If the argument of complexity of our universe and earth specifically screams for a designer and a creator - then the argument is infinitely stronger for there to have been a designer and creator for God. This line of argumentation - IMHO - carries zero merit.

I'm at the 10:00 mark of the movie.

If this was a "being" it must be uncaused. If a being is not bound by time, that is, it's timeless, then "when" did the being begin?

That's kind of the point of "timeless".
02-19-2018 02:21 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

(02-19-2018 02:09 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

• Spaceless
  • Timeless
  • Immaterial

Absolutely nothing related to god can be tested, so that's hardly a point in religion's defense, even if true.

We live by many abstracts. They simply are. The laws of logic, for instance, are abstract. They exist. In fact, they are a prerequisite for science.

Science can not be conducted outside the laws of logic.
02-19-2018 02:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.