Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

This should answer the question of whether or not Penny wants to coach...
Bookmark and Share
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
This should answer the question of whether or not Penny wants to coach...
https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/coll...recruiting

Rudd and Bowen have to make the move.
02-20-2018 12:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: This should answer the question of whether or not Penny wants to coach...
Yikes. I don't see Ole Miss hiring Penny but you never know. He'd bring a lot of the same things to the table in Oxford he brings to Memphis.
02-20-2018 12:35 PM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
(02-20-2018 12:35 PM)holyterror Wrote:  Yikes. I don't see Ole Miss hiring Penny but you never know. He'd bring a lot of the same things to the table in Oxford he brings to Memphis.

Let's says Ole Miss hires Penny, and Penny does OK in year one in Oxford. And a year from now the Memphis job comes open. Or two years from now. Does anyone have any doubt that if Memphis offered Penny the job in a year or two that he would take it? So why would Ole Miss put themselves in that position? I don't see it happening.
02-20-2018 12:39 PM
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

(02-20-2018 12:35 PM)holyterror Wrote:  Yikes. I don't see Ole Miss hiring Penny but you never know. He'd bring a lot of the same things to the table in Oxford he brings to Memphis.

Here’s the thing. Rudd and Bowen can’t take the chance.
02-20-2018 12:39 PM
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

(02-20-2018 12:39 PM)Tigx Wrote:  

Let's says Ole Miss hires Penny, and Penny does OK in year one in Oxford. And a year from now the Memphis job comes open. Or two years from now. Does anyone have any doubt that if Memphis offered Penny the job in a year or two that he would take it? So why would Ole Miss put themselves in that position? I don't see it happening.

It is a good point. But to me we can’t let him leave even for one year.
02-20-2018 12:40 PM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
as was brought up on the J&J show today, the last time Penny was asked about coaching when Pastner's tenure was in peril, he said it's flattering but Memphis has a coach and we need to support him

There was no similar mention in that interview.-
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2018 12:42 PM by k2tigers.)
02-20-2018 12:40 PM
Advertisement

Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

(02-20-2018 12:40 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  as was brought up on the J&J show today, the last time Penny was asked about coaching when Pastner's tenure was in peril, he said it's flattering but Memphis has a coach and we need to support

He isn’t going to publicly say he wants the job when we have a sitting coach. But reading between the lines, it’s obvious he wants to coach.
02-20-2018 12:44 PM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(02-20-2018 12:44 PM)Joe1 Wrote:  
(02-20-2018 12:40 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  as was brought up on the J&J show today, the last time Penny was asked about coaching when Pastner's tenure was in peril, he said it's flattering but Memphis has a coach and we need to support

He isn’t going to publicly say he wants the job when we have a sitting coach. But reading between the lines, it’s obvious he wants to coach.

and that he might not think Tubby is worth the support
02-20-2018 12:46 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

Unless Penny is going to end up bitter by not getting the job initially I don't see it as a negative with someone else taking the risk so he can prove himself.

As long as we are confident if we offer Penny will come home it is a better situation.
02-20-2018 12:51 PM
Crazier Offline
All American

Might as well offer it to him. He can't be worse than the tubbster and the pazz.
02-20-2018 12:56 PM
tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(02-20-2018 12:51 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  Unless Penny is going to end up bitter by not getting the job initially I don't see it as a negative with someone else taking the risk so he can prove himself.

As long as we are confident if we offer Penny will come home it is a better situation.

Exactly. Bowen & Rudd have to have the conversation with him before he goes, but him taking a job at OM isn't exactly a bad thing.
02-20-2018 01:12 PM
Advertisement

jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
For us to tell Penny to go to OLE PISS for a year for (whatever reason)----is saying take 4/5 stars to OLE PISS, make them relevant/better ---- while we continue to suck. After we continue to be irrelevant for a couple more years----as we help out OLE PISS or KENTSUCKY ----then we will bring you home. Yea that makes sense .
02-20-2018 01:13 PM
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

(02-20-2018 12:51 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  Unless Penny is going to end up bitter by not getting the job initially I don't see it as a negative with someone else taking the risk so he can prove himself.

Offer him now. Make sure he has a great staff, and a former head coach. The city would go wild for Penny.
Tigergary Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers
What's depressing is I have zero confidence there is any discussion about penny in the administration.
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

(02-20-2018 01:12 PM)tigergreen Wrote:  

Exactly. Bowen & Rudd have to have the conversation with him before he goes, but him taking a job at OM isn't exactly a bad thing.

I disagree
02-20-2018 01:15 PM
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
(02-20-2018 01:15 PM)Joe1 Wrote:  

I disagree

Yep me too.
02-20-2018 01:40 PM
Advertisement

450bench Offline

Penny isn't going to ole miss or anywhere else IMO.
02-20-2018 01:50 PM
FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GaTech

Penny is putting us in a spot where we have to hire him. I think we should go ahead and do it.

I'm not sure OM is the best place for him. But they do give coaches time to get it running, unlike us. But that current roster at OM is real bad. It's a three to four year rebuild no matter the coach, even if he sweeps Memphis in recruiting. I would consider Auburn and Mississippi St as examples on how hard a rebuild in the SEC is right now.

But I don't think he's getting all those East kids to Oxford. He will lose a couple to Cal.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2018 01:51 PM by FlyingTiger2016.)
02-20-2018 01:51 PM
FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GaTech
(02-20-2018 01:51 PM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  

Penny is putting us in a spot where we have to hire him. I think we should go ahead and do it.

I'm not sure OM is the best place for him. But they do give coaches time to get it running, unlike us. But that current roster at OM is real bad. It's a three to four year rebuild no matter the coach, even if he sweeps Memphis in recruiting. I would consider Auburn and Mississippi St as examples on how hard a rebuild in the SEC is right now.

But I don't think he's getting all those East kids to Oxford. He will lose a couple to Cal.

If we don't fire Tubby.

-75% - I think Penny will end up as an Assistant at Kentucky this year.
-20% - He stays at East.
- 5% - He takes the OM job.
02-20-2018 01:54 PM
tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(02-20-2018 01:15 PM)Joe1 Wrote:  

I disagree

"As long as we are confident if we offer Penny he will come home" is the key.

If we're not firing Tubby after this season (which is likely), then Rudd & Bowen need to have a talk with Penny before he makes any moves to feel things out.
IMO, these conversations should have already been happening, regardless of any potential offers.

That said, I'm still not 100% positive that Penny is the answer for us, but Tubby certainly isn't.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2018 01:57 PM by tigergreen.)
02-20-2018 01:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.