ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

LOUISV...whoooo
Mo Blue Den You Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
LOUISV...whoooo
Damn Tarheels at it again...oh wait. Nope, Louisville.

Well there goes their title. and over 100 wins. Should've just stuck to fake classes

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb...onal-title

04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2018 01:07 PM by Mo Blue Den You.)
02-20-2018 01:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

odusteeler Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: ODU, W&M
RE: LOUISV...whoooo
College basketball is the sleaziest of them all - not even close. I stopped watching years ago. I can’t wait until the FBI investigation is complete and these NCAA basketball roaches are exposed.
02-20-2018 01:49 PM
ODUDon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ODU
(02-20-2018 01:07 PM)Mo Blue Den You Wrote:  Damn Tarheels at it again...oh wait. Nope, Louisville.

Well there goes their title. and over 100 wins. Should've just stuck to fake classes

04-cheers
Lap dances for players is a major violation but student athletes who aren't actual students is AOK.
02-20-2018 02:10 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-20-2018 02:10 PM)ODUDon Wrote:  
(02-20-2018 01:07 PM)Mo Blue Den You Wrote:  Damn Tarheels at it again...oh wait. Nope, Louisville.

04-cheers
Lap dances for players is a major violation but student athletes who aren't actual students is AOK.

Unfortunately, they were student athletes bc anyone could have taken advantage of the classes.
02-20-2018 02:17 PM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

Vacated titles are a joke. Just like the NCAA.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2018 02:39 PM by ODU_NYG.)
02-20-2018 02:39 PM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

Too bad the wins vacated only go up to 2015. I was wondering if we would drop a loss from our record a couple of years ago when we played them
02-20-2018 02:43 PM
Advertisement

ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(02-20-2018 02:43 PM)odu09 Wrote:  Too bad the wins vacated only go up to 2015. I was wondering if we would drop a loss from our record a couple of years ago when we played them

It would be a non issue if our team that season was capable of making free throws.
02-20-2018 03:01 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(02-20-2018 02:17 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

04-cheers

Unfortunately, they were student athletes bc anyone could have taken advantage of the classes.

So Louisville would be fine if they had invited non athlete students over for the lap dances?
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2018 03:21 PM by Monarchblue.)
02-20-2018 03:20 PM
ODUMONARCHZ1 Offline
Heisman

(02-20-2018 03:20 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

04-cheers

So Louisville would be fine if they had invited non athlete students over for the lap dances?
Sign me up

Sent from my SM-N950U using CSNbbs mobile app
02-20-2018 03:33 PM
ODUDon Offline
Special Teams

04-cheers

The NCAA only has jurisdiction over member institutions treatment of student athletes as it relates to promoting fair competition and the proper education of student athletes. UNC clearly failed both principles by offering fake classes to student athletes yet the NCAA did nothing. The activity or treatment of non student athletes is of no business to the NCAA.
02-20-2018 03:33 PM
Grommet Offline
Shamma Lamma Ding Dong

I'd be interested in seeing which specific NCAA bylaws mandate the 'proper education of student athletes'. Also, the treatment of non-student-athletes is germaine inasmuch as it determines impermissible benefits, e.g. benefits not available to the general student population. Finally, it is beyond me why people get upset when an organization formed to skirt worker compensation laws with regard to athletes at universities fails to act in the best interest of the aforementioned athletes.
02-20-2018 06:04 PM
Advertisement

NC ODUFan Offline
Special Teams

04-cheers
No, it's not OK, but the NCAA decided the UNC scandal was an academic issue, not an athletic one. In U of L's case, the violations were directly as a result of an assist. basketball coach's actions, a person hired and supposedly supervised by the head coach, so that's the difference. Both situations smell, but it's comparing apples to oranges.
02-20-2018 08:11 PM
Grommet Offline
Shamma Lamma Ding Dong

It's more analogous to the FBI case than UNC. Louisville used lap dances and prostitutes, and the Adidas schools used bags of cash, both to entice recruits to attend a particular institution.
02-20-2018 08:17 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(02-20-2018 08:11 PM)NC ODUFan Wrote:  

04-cheers
No, it's not OK, but the NCAA decided the UNC scandal was an academic issue, not an athletic one. In U of L's case, the violations were directly as a result of an assist. basketball coach's actions, a person hired and supposedly supervised by the head coach, so that's the difference. Both situations smell, but it's comparing apples to oranges.
So it's totally cool for coaches to funnel kids into fake classes as long as kids who are paying good money to presumably get a top level education are also allowed to enroll in the useless fake class so long as it's not already full with athletes who get priority in scheduling? Totally on the up and up. Got it.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
02-20-2018 09:43 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(02-20-2018 08:17 PM)Grommet Wrote:  It's more analogous to the FBI case than UNC. Louisville used lap dances and prostitutes, and the Adidas schools used bags of cash, both to entice recruits to attend a particular institution.
Since we are in the business of advocating absurd arguments here, what would you say if the kid did not enjoy the lap dance? How would it then be considered an impermissible benefit?

02-20-2018 09:46 PM
GotLabradors Offline
Special Teams

If the NCAA had anything to do with academics other than stating eligibility requirements, you wouldn't need SACS. The NCAA has zero to do with the quality of the education a student athlete receives. Up until 2016, student athletes didn't have to even show progress towards a degree to be eligible to compete. All they had to do was take 15 credit hours and maintain a minimum GPA. Recruiting violations will get you every time over academic issues with the NCAA.
02-20-2018 11:35 PM
Advertisement

Grommet Offline
Shamma Lamma Ding Dong

(02-20-2018 09:46 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(02-20-2018 08:17 PM)Grommet Wrote:  It's more analogous to the FBI case than UNC. Louisville used lap dances and prostitutes, and the Adidas schools used bags of cash, both to entice recruits to attend a particular institution.
Since we are in the business of advocating absurd arguments here, what would you say if the kid did not enjoy the lap dance? How would it then be considered an impermissible benefit?

You're right. This is pretty dumb, even for you. I'm not even sure you've quoted the correct post.

It shows how little you understand the process, as the lap dance wouldn't be an impermissible benefit as much as an unfair recruiting advantage. Ergo, your point is moot.
02-21-2018 07:36 AM
Mo Blue Den You Offline
1st String

How many of you are losing sleep over UNC?
02-21-2018 07:37 AM
Justanodufan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Odu
(02-20-2018 11:35 PM)GotLabradors Wrote:  If the NCAA had anything to do with academics other than stating eligibility requirements, you wouldn't need SACS. The NCAA has zero to do with the quality of the education a student athlete receives. Up until 2016, student athletes didn't have to even show progress towards a degree to be eligible to compete. All they had to do was take 15 credit hours and maintain a minimum GPA. Recruiting violations will get you every time over academic issues with the NCAA.

False.07-coffee3
02-21-2018 07:24 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(02-21-2018 07:36 AM)Grommet Wrote:  
(02-20-2018 09:46 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

You're right. This is pretty dumb, even for you. I'm not even sure you've quoted the correct post.

It shows how little you understand the process, as the lap dance wouldn't be an impermissible benefit as much as an unfair recruiting advantage. Ergo, your point is moot.
1. My point stands whether it's a recruiting advantage or an impermissible benefit. By the crazy litigious standard applied to UNC, it is neither if the kid isn't into it.

2. Which infraction did actual harm to the kids they were charged with educating?

Obviously, both offenses are terrible. But one is magnitudes of order worse than the other, and that one went unpunished. Apply all the snark and defensive behavior you want, you cannot change the facts.

02-21-2018 10:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.