C-USA POY discussion
02-21-2018 12:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: C-USA POY discussion
Get that mess out of here. Elmore and Burks are both VERY good, but if Marshall has the 2 best players in the league and the next Patrick Ewing in Penava, Dan D'Antoni should get fired for sucking as a coach.

The stats of the Herd players are distorted by their pace. Nick King should be the POY. If not, Ahmad Caver and Darius Thompson should be next in line.

My first team:

Nick King
Ahmad Caver
Darius Thompson
Cokley
Elmore
02-21-2018 12:36 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
(02-21-2018 12:36 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Get that mess out of here. Elmore and Burks are both VERY good, but if Marshall has the 2 best players in the league and the next Patrick Ewing in Penava, Dan D'Antoni should get fired for sucking as a coach.

The stats of the Herd players are distorted by their pace. Nick King should be the POY. If not, Ahmad Caver and Darius Thompson should be next in line.

My first team:

Nick King
Ahmad Caver
Darius Thompson
Cokley
Elmore

Hard to put him on the first team with just seeing him once, but the Roosevelt kid from North Texas impressed me.
02-21-2018 12:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

Roosevelt Smart would be on my 2nd team, for sure.
02-21-2018 12:53 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
Nick King.
02-21-2018 01:05 PM
Surbadger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
Elmore should have it. He has been inc discussion as the #1-2 player in conference since the beginning of the year and when he actually matched up against said other player, he had the better game. He has been the most consistent. Even with an off game, he will rack up at least 20 points. Elmore is top 10 in the country in both PPG and Assists/game. He also leads the nation in triple/doubles. You also can't forget about his high FT percentage.

I think Burks should be in the race as well, but Elmore has played at this level all season long. No one commands games better than Elmore. He is a floor general. Elmore will be POY.
02-21-2018 01:12 PM
Advertisement

WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Current KenPom All CUSA Team has:
1. Nick King
2. Chris Cokley
3. Jon Elmore
4. Justin Johnson
5. Darius Thompson

I think its Nick King in a landslide this season, the streak continues for Kermit with SEC bench guys becoming CUSA POY's.....
02-21-2018 01:12 PM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

(02-21-2018 01:12 PM)Surbadger Wrote:  Elmore should have it. He has been inc discussion as the #1-2 player in conference since the beginning of the year and when he actually matched up against said other player, he had the better game. He has been the most consistent. Even with an off game, he will rack up at least 20 points. Elmore is top 10 in the country in both PPG and Assists/game. He also leads the nation in triple/doubles. You also can't forget about his high FT percentage.

I think Burks should be in the race as well, but Elmore has played at this level all season long. No one commands games better than Elmore. He is a floor general. Elmore will be POY.

Elmore definitely deserves the Academy Award for best flopper hands down....Elmore will not be POY, sorry...POY 9 times out of 10 goes to the best player on the best team, Marshall is 4th, maybe next season....Where does all of this bravado come from for Marshall fans? YOu guys have done nothing in basketball in forever but act like you are Villanova of this conference...

Marshall fans: 10-4 in conf., 19-8 overall with an RPI of 102, those are not Villanova esq numbers, sorry...FOr Christ sake you lost to Morehead St. this season! Morehead is 6-21!
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2018 01:18 PM by WKUFan518.)
02-21-2018 01:13 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
(02-21-2018 01:13 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  
(02-21-2018 01:12 PM)Surbadger Wrote:  Elmore should have it. He has been inc discussion as the #1-2 player in conference since the beginning of the year and when he actually matched up against said other player, he had the better game. He has been the most consistent. Even with an off game, he will rack up at least 20 points. Elmore is top 10 in the country in both PPG and Assists/game. He also leads the nation in triple/doubles. You also can't forget about his high FT percentage.

Elmore definitely deserves the Academy Award for best flopper hands down....Elmore will not be POY, sorry...POY 9 times out of 10 goes to the best player on the best team, Marshall is 4th, maybe next season....Where does all of this bravado come from for Marshall fans? YOu guys have done nothing in basketball in forever but act like you are Villanova of this conference...

Marshall fans: 10-4 in conf., 19-8 overall with an RPI of 102, those are not Villanova esq numbers, sorry...FOr Christ sake you lost to Morehead St. this season! Morehead is 6-21!

psst....you haven't done anything since you've been in CUSA, either. At least we've got a tournament finals under our belt and a couple top 4 finishes. Doesn't stop you from filling the threads with your basketball opinions. We're just happy to be relevant again. We're no longer the easy win on everyone's schedule. Is it so hard to let us enjoy that a while? You keep saying what you want and so will we. But enough of the glass houses BS. Do something, finish a season with something to show for it. Then you can be all superior.
02-21-2018 01:26 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
(11-18-2017 06:11 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Nick King is going to be C-USA POY.

Just four games in I've already seen enough.

King is better than Jacorey Williams. Jacorey is probably a little better defensively, but King is like a smoother more polished version of Jacorey.

http://csnbbs.com/newreply.php?tid=83401...o=14797647
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2018 01:45 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
02-21-2018 01:43 PM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

(02-21-2018 01:26 PM)MUther Wrote:  

psst....you haven't done anything since you've been in CUSA, either. At least we've got a tournament finals under our belt and a couple top 4 finishes. Doesn't stop you from filling the threads with your basketball opinions. We're just happy to be relevant again. We're no longer the easy win on everyone's schedule. Is it so hard to let us enjoy that a while? You keep saying what you want and so will we. But enough of the glass houses BS. Do something, finish a season with something to show for it. Then you can be all superior.

I was not claiming we have the next coming of Michael Jordan and Lebron on our team either like I read day in day out from Marshall fans.....I have never said we have done anything recently but we sure as hell have achieved a lot more than Marshall has since 1987, that is a fact....
02-21-2018 01:49 PM
Advertisement

mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

They did this:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb...=400992598
02-21-2018 01:54 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Stopped reading article after the first sentence. Ridiculous.

Player Efficiency Rating:

Cokley 31
Penava 29.6
King 26.4
Porter 25.9
Coleby 23.8 (Burks isn't even on this list; Elmore is 6th)

Total Rebound Percentage:
Cokely 19
Coleby 17
Delp 16
Johnson 16
Penava 15.7

Offensive Rating
Cokley 127
Boykins 124
Thompson 123.5
Troutman 122.9
Coleby 121.8 (Penava 6th, Porter 7, Caver 9, Elmore 10)

Defensive Rating:
Stith 87.9
Lee 91.1
Penava 91.8
Porter 92.2
Carver 92.4
Caver 93.8

Win Shares per 40:
Cokley .258
Penava .227
Porter .226
King .206
Walters .201

In my opinion:

First Team
Elmore (him and Caver neck and neck, but points per game pushes Elmore to list)
Boykins
King
Porter (him and Penava neck and neck)
Cokley

My Player of the year at this point would be Cokely; hes the best player in the converence

2nd Team
Caver
Penava
Thompson
Coleby
Smart
02-21-2018 01:58 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

We actually have 2 CUSA tourney finals. Last year and 2012 vs Memphis.

Players who come in for a hired gun for one year should be excluded from player of the year. Nick King is decent but no way would I take him over this years version of Ajdin Penava. Or what potential Penava will have next year.
02-21-2018 02:00 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(02-21-2018 01:58 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  First Team

Neck and Neck my ass. Caver not even in the same stratosphere. Jon Elmore is the only player in the last 26 years that is avg over 20 points, 6.5 rebounds and 7.5 asst per game. The last time that was done by anyone in the NCAA was in 1992.

Not even Trae Young is doing that.
02-21-2018 02:08 PM
Heisman

(02-21-2018 01:58 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Stopped reading article after the first sentence. Ridiculous.

Cokley 31
Penava 29.6
King 26.4
Porter 25.9

Cokely 19
Coleby 17
Delp 16
Johnson 16
Penava 15.7

Offensive Rating
Cokley 127
Boykins 124
Thompson 123.5
Troutman 122.9

Defensive Rating:
Stith 87.9
Lee 91.1
Penava 91.8
Porter 92.2
Carver 92.4
Caver 93.8

Win Shares per 40:
Cokley .258
Penava .227
Porter .226
King .206
Walters .201

In my opinion:

First Team
Boykins
King
Cokley

My Player of the year at this point would be Cokely; hes the best player in the converence

2nd Team
Caver
Penava
Thompson
Coleby
Smart

Ok. I will play along. Here's the problem with Cokely and just looking at numbers alone. And you could really make the same arguments about anyone who just puts up big numbers and doesn't do the things that actually helps the team win games.

Cokely scores all his points within 10 feet of the basket. King can do the same things from the block. But King can step out and hit the three. He can also put the ball on the floor from outside and drive to the basket.

Numbers don't illustrate the number of times MT has been in a dog fight at the under four and literally watched King take over the game and lead MT from down three in the final minutes to a 10-point win. Numbers don't account for the fade away three he buried at ODU that sealed the win - or the similar basket he had in Bowling Green from 25-feet away deep into the game as the shot clock was expiring. 28 points and nine boards against the rival in front of a hostile sold out crowd. Who else in the league has put in a performance like that in that situation much less multiple performances like that?

Sorry, but assuming the voters actually watched the league games, King will be unanimous.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2018 02:15 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
02-21-2018 02:08 PM
Advertisement

mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

The only think Jon Elmore is going to win is an Academy Award
02-21-2018 02:12 PM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

(02-21-2018 02:08 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  
(02-21-2018 01:58 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Stopped reading article after the first sentence. Ridiculous.

Cokley 31
Penava 29.6
King 26.4
Porter 25.9

Cokely 19
Coleby 17
Delp 16
Johnson 16
Penava 15.7

Offensive Rating
Cokley 127
Boykins 124
Thompson 123.5
Troutman 122.9

Defensive Rating:
Stith 87.9
Lee 91.1
Penava 91.8
Porter 92.2
Carver 92.4
Caver 93.8

Win Shares per 40:
Cokley .258
Penava .227
Porter .226
King .206
Walters .201

In my opinion:

First Team
Boykins
King
Cokley

2nd Team
Caver
Penava
Thompson
Coleby
Smart

Ok. I will play along. Here's the problem with Cokely and just looking at numbers alone. And you could really make the same arguments about anyone who just puts up big numbers and doesn't do the things that actually helps the team win games.

Cokely scores all his points within 10 feet of the basket. King can do the same things from the block. But King can step out and hit the three. He can also put the ball on the floor from outside and drive to the basket.

Numbers don't illustrate the number of times MT has been in a dog fight at the under four and literally watched King take over the game and lead MT from down three in the final minutes to a 10-point win. Numbers don't account for the fade away three he buried at ODU that sealed the win - or the similar basket he had in Bowling Green deep into the game as the shot clock was expiring.

Sorry, but assuming the voters actually watched the league games, King will be unanimous.

Agreed.

King = CPOY
Caver = Tourney MVP
02-21-2018 02:13 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

(02-21-2018 02:08 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(02-21-2018 01:58 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  First Team

Neck and Neck my ass. Caver not even in the same stratosphere. Jon Elmore is the only player in the last 26 years that is avg over 20 points, 6.5 rebounds and 7.5 asst per game. The last time that was done by anyone in the NCAA was in 1992.

Not even Trae Young is doing that.

With about a billion possessions per game because he doesn't play defense.

He's going to get his pocket picked by Caver tomorrow night
02-21-2018 02:16 PM
Heisman

(02-21-2018 02:12 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  The only think Jon Elmore is going to win is an Academy Award

Ouch. But touché.

And well played.
02-21-2018 02:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.