Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pittsburgh dismisses coach Kevin Stallings after two seasons
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
I know this was expected but the news is 5 hours old and no one has posted it on the board.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb...-stallings

Who is Pitt going to get?
03-08-2018 03:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
RE: Pittsburgh dismisses coach Kevin Stallings after two seasons
(03-08-2018 03:47 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  I know this was expected but the news is 5 hours old and no one has posted it on the board.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb...-stallings

Who is Pitt going to get?

I didnt see this, but EXCELLENT move by Pitt. Stallings was way over his head and far out of his league at Pitt.

Thanks for sharing.
03-08-2018 04:16 PM
H.U.S.T.L.E. Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: VT / JMU
Will certainly be interesting to see who they go after...

If I were them, I'd take a run at Danny Hurley. He's done a great job at Rhode Island. I would expect UConn to pursue him if they fire Ollie (which seems likely), so if Pitt can entice him with ACC competition, that might be more attractive than competing in the ACC.

Not sure how Pitt fans would feel about it, but I think Tom Crean would be worth a look too.
03-08-2018 04:43 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Stallings stands to walk away with about $9 Million.

Stallings son Jacob played baseball at Carolina and is currently a catcher with the Pittsburgh Pirates.
03-08-2018 05:26 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
I hear Tom Crean may be high on their list.

And honestly, that feels like a good fit. Crean could do some work at Pitt.
03-08-2018 07:00 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-08-2018 05:26 PM)XLance Wrote:  Stallings stands to walk away with about $9 Million.

Stallings son Jacob played baseball at Carolina and is currently a catcher with the Pittsburgh Pirates.

He's not getting $9 million.
03-08-2018 09:09 PM
Advertisement

CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-08-2018 07:00 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  I hear Tom Crean may be high on their list.

And honestly, that feels like a good fit. Crean could do some work at Pitt.

Crean has a prior stint as an assistant at Pitt, but I doubt that is direction Pitt will go.

You'll see names tossed around like Dan Hurley and Earl Grant, who everyone is going to pursue, and even Thad Matta. Eric Mussleman could be an intriguing person to look at. Who knows. I'm sure they have a short list, at least, already.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2018 09:15 PM by CrazyPaco.)
03-08-2018 09:13 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

Danny Hurley is a name I suggested earlier on Louisville site for the Pitt job. They need new blood and he has a proven record at Rhode Island IMO. I would rather have him at the helm than say Crean.
03-09-2018 08:47 AM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
Without doing much research, I'm not super enthused by a Hurley for Louisville. I do find Mussleman intriguing.
03-09-2018 01:13 PM
Gopper Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cards
Grab Pitino... guy will be on a mean streak and will get Pitt back to competence... after 5-6 years he will retire and u can go for someone else, by that time the shoe scandal would have been blown over
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2018 03:12 PM by Gopper.)
03-09-2018 03:07 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Hiring Stallings never made much sense to me. I’m not sure why he wanted to leave Vandy unless he wore out his welcome and he was saving face. I believe he’s a pretty good guitarist though.
03-09-2018 05:57 PM
Advertisement

BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

(03-09-2018 01:13 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  Without doing much research, I'm not super enthused by a Hurley for Louisville. I do find Mussleman intriguing.

Oh I’m not suggesting Hurley to Louisville, I said I mentioned him as good hire for Pitt that I wrote on another Louisville site.

I think Tyra is going all in on Chris Mack once their season is complete, and I personally wouldn’t mind seeing that hire for like it.
03-09-2018 06:45 PM
7fielder Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pittsburgh
(03-09-2018 05:57 PM)esayem Wrote:  Hiring Stallings never made much sense to me. I’m not sure why he wanted to leave Vandy unless he wore out his welcome and he was saving face. I believe he’s a pretty good guitarist though.

The hire was an inside job by our former scumbag AD Scott Barnes who went exclusively with a search firm headed by Todd Turner. Barnes worked for Turner at U of Washington. Stallings had also once worked for Turner at Vanderbilt. Stallings was about to be fired at Vanderbilt. The whole thing stunk to high heaven. Barnes didn’t even interview other candidates. Nine months later he ran off to Oregon State.
This whole thing has been an example of cronyism once again at Pitt’s expense. Between Barnes, Steve Pederson and Mark Nordenberg Pitt can’t escape administrators that use Pitt for their own personal gain.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2018 08:33 PM by 7fielder.)
03-09-2018 08:29 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(03-09-2018 03:07 PM)Gopper Wrote:  Grab Pitino... guy will be on a mean streak and will get Pitt back to competence... after 5-6 years he will retire and u can go for someone else, by that time the shoe scandal would have been blown over

And think of the marketing possibilities ...

PITT-ino Ball ....

I know Pitino would jump at the chance to coach Pitt, in the east coast, in the ACC ... especially against U of L.

He screwed us over ... but there's no denying the man can coach. Even taking subpar talent, and getting them to do things they never thought they could have. Which is why it is baffling to me he allowed his program to run amok at the end.

Go for it Pitt .... you'll be better than you were with Dixon. Which is a pretty high bar.
03-10-2018 07:58 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
I just keep think Pitino back to the SEC at Miss State. Dooley at FGCU would be a good hire.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2018 08:25 AM by msm96wolf.)
03-10-2018 08:24 AM
Lenvillecards Online
Heisman

If Pitt goes after a Pitino it should be his son Richard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-10-2018 02:07 PM
Advertisement

7fielder Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pittsburgh
I sense another inside job brewing at Pitt. I think Thad Matta is gonna get the gig claiming to be healthy. He’s then gonna bring in Chris Jent who is an NBA D league lifer who played for Matta. Then after one maybe two seasons Matta is gonna say his back is **** again. And voila our AD who was buddies with Jent when she worked at OSU slides her buddy Jent into the HC gig. I can smell the dirty backdoor deals that go on in Oakland from miles away. Nobody cares about winning at Pitt. It’s just a culture of people doing favors for each other.
03-10-2018 02:52 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-09-2018 05:57 PM)esayem Wrote:  Hiring Stallings never made much sense to me. I’m not sure why he wanted to leave Vandy unless he wore out his welcome and he was saving face. I believe he’s a pretty good guitarist though.

He was about to be fired by Vandy.
03-10-2018 04:13 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-10-2018 02:52 PM)7fielder Wrote:  I sense another inside job brewing at Pitt. I think Thad Matta is gonna get the gig claiming to be healthy. He’s then gonna bring in Chris Jent who is an NBA D league lifer who played for Matta. Then after one maybe two seasons Matta is gonna say his back is **** again. And voila our AD who was buddies with Jent when she worked at OSU slides her buddy Jent into the HC gig. I can smell the dirty backdoor deals that go on in Oakland from miles away. Nobody cares about winning at Pitt. It’s just a culture of people doing favors for each other.

No one can defend what Barnes did in his single year at Pitt. His hire was a bigger mistake than Stallings, which flatly stunk. But Barnes and Lyke are very different people.

Lyke has hired three coaches thus far, none of which she had any prior connection to. Let it play out before casting unfounded aspersions. This hire will tell us a lot. What we've already learned from firing a failing coach only 2 years into his fairly large contract is that Pitt very much cares about winning.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2018 01:07 AM by CrazyPaco.)
03-10-2018 04:24 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
It looks like Pittsburgh could be struggling to fill a roster for the second straight season. 8 current players have asked for "and are expected to receive -- their release on Friday to explore transfer options, multiple sources close to the basketball program told ESPN."

The departures would include all five freshman who played regular minutes, Soph Shamiel Stevenson, repeat Sr Ryan Luther (if he gains a medical redshirt), and Jr Malik Eillison, who just sat out a year after transferring from St. John's.

The remaining roster would be rising Sr. Jared Wilson-Frame (JUCO who led the team in scoring this year) and two rising Soph's who played limited minutes this year.

We all realize not all of those guys were ACC caliber under normal circumstances, but it's rough to see the mass exodus. It's going to be tough for the new coach to fill out the roster. He's left with 1 guy who can contribute, as I have to think that the other two returners are no help if they couldn't earn minutes on an 0-18 team.

----------
Hopefully it won't be to this extreme, but Louisville could be seeing a vastly different roster next year as well. I'm hoping the departures don't mirror the trouble Pitt has been going through.
03-16-2018 11:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.