Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kermit at Ole Miss, Matta turns down Georgia
Bookmark and Share
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
Kermit at Ole Miss, Matta turns down Georgia
Kermit has won alot. I like it.

Matta turning down Georgia might sting, but if health is an issue it may be the right choice for both sides.

My understanding is that Matta was offered 3 million. If this is the trend and the SEC is finally paying it's bball coaches, we are going to be an 8 bid league alot more often now.
03-14-2018 01:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Kermit at Ole Miss, Matta turns down Georgia
(03-14-2018 01:56 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  Kermit has won alot. I like it.

Matta turning down Georgia might sting, but if health is an issue it may be the right choice for both sides.

My understanding is that Matta was offered 3 million. If this is the trend and the SEC is finally paying it's bball coaches, we are going to be an 8 bid league alot more often now.

This was an initiative Slive put forward and Sankey has pushed. It is paying dividends right on time. We are the wealthiest sports conference and I expect this to be put to gaining advantage in basketball as well.
03-14-2018 02:22 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
If ESPN does not have long term plans for the Big 12, it would be imperative that the SEC upgrade their basketball and the ACC upgrade their football product.
It appears that both conferences have done their jobs equally well.
03-14-2018 02:27 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

(03-14-2018 02:22 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

This was an initiative Slive put forward and Sankey has pushed. It is paying dividends right on time. We are the wealthiest sports conference and I expect this to be put to gaining advantage in basketball as well.

I knew that scheduling was being emphasized/manipulated, I didn't realize it was a whole initiative. Besides scheduling and encouraging more investment in coaches, what are the other points of emphasis?
03-14-2018 11:06 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-14-2018 11:06 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  

I knew that scheduling was being emphasized/manipulated, I didn't realize it was a whole initiative. Besides scheduling and encouraging more investment in coaches, what are the other points of emphasis?

Those are essentially the two main parts. Our out of conference RPI had to be enhanced and schools were encouraged to get off their wallets for good coaches. The other was for the schools to intentionally encourage attendance and to enhance the experience of a game as much as possible. The latter was emphasized for men's and women's hoops. I expect to see SEC attendance up once the season is over and the numbers come in.
03-14-2018 11:16 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

Latest rumor is Crean to Georgia. That would continue the trend of "retreads" (I mean no disrespect): Barnes, Howland, and Crean.

That made me curious:
If Crean does join Georgia:

Barnes - Final Four at Texas
Calipari - 4 Final Fours at KY + the vacated ones at Memphis and UMass
Frank Martin - Final Four at South Carolina
Crean - Final Four at Indiana
Howland - 3 Final Fours at UCLA

White - Elite 8 at Florida
Pearl - Elite Eight at Tennessee
Mike Anderson Elite Eight at Ark

That's 8 out of 14 coaches.

Add in Kermit, Wade, Drew, and Cuonzo all fairly new at their schools, plus Avery who was an NBA champ coach.

That is 13/14 coaches who could be up and comers or have a fresh start at a new school. That only leaves Billy Kennedy at A&M.

I'd say the SEC has definitely built up their coaching ranks. Now if we get back to that in football... but for now, I'm looking forward to solid SEC basketball.
03-15-2018 12:37 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK

It’s about time b-ball improved in the SEC. Honestly, the conference really couldn’t invest any more money in CFB.
03-15-2018 03:07 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

Crean to Georgia official.
03-15-2018 09:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.