Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Can You Believe This: Baylor Suspends 3 Football Players for Sexual Assault
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Can You Believe This: Baylor Suspends 3 Football Players for Sexual Assault
Baylor University announced today that 3 football players have been suspended following a sexual assault that occurred last November following the Texas Tech game. The victims were two members of Baylor's Equestrian Team who were assaulted at their apartment. They reported the assaults to the Equestrian Coach who reported it to the administration and the "Campus Police" handled the matter. Since this is March I'd say they did another damned fine job of trying to cover this up. It's been 5 months almost since the crime occurred.

Truly there ought to be some kind of sanction for this level of lack of institutional control.

BTW: Information courtesy of the ESPN crawler.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2018 09:02 PM by JRsec.)
03-14-2018 09:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: Can You Believe This: Baylor Suspends 3 Football Players for Sexual Assault
(03-14-2018 09:01 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Baylor University announced today that 3 football players have been suspended following a sexual assault that occurred last November following the Texas Tech game. The victims were two members of Baylor's Equestrian Team who were assaulted at their apartment. They reported the assaults to the Equestrian Coach who reported it to the administration and the "Campus Police" handled the matter. Since this is March I'd say they did another damned fine job of trying to cover this up. It's been 5 months almost since the crime occurred.

Truly there ought to be some kind of sanction for this level of lack of institutional control.

01-france
03-14-2018 09:15 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(03-14-2018 09:01 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Baylor University announced today that 3 football players have been suspended following a sexual assault that occurred last November following the Texas Tech game. The victims were two members of Baylor's Equestrian Team who were assaulted at their apartment. They reported the assaults to the Equestrian Coach who reported it to the administration and the "Campus Police" handled the matter. Since this is March I'd say they did another damned fine job of trying to cover this up. It's been 5 months almost since the crime occurred.

In what way is this a lack of institutional control? These players were suspended almost immediately in November. That's exactly what ought to have happened.
03-15-2018 08:49 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-15-2018 08:49 AM)ken d Wrote:  

In what way is this a lack of institutional control? These players were suspended almost immediately in November. That's exactly what ought to have happened.

A crime was committed that was handled not by the Waco PD but the campus police and nothing was disclosed for 5 months. It took even longer under Starr before transgressions were released. It sure seems to me that exactly the same protocol of the plethora of earlier issues was followed. The girls reported to their coach, their coach told the administration, the campus police handled the investigation, and months passed before the public was made aware.

It was a great day at Auburn when the campus police were replaced with by the Auburn PD, not that we ever had anything like this around here. It's just that the campus police answer to the wrong authority if they are to be free of having to worry about image and internal politics. At least that is less true of the city police department. While not free of politics entirely, they at least answer to the mayor and city council.

A failure to disclose assaults on a college campus leaves the students a little less prepared to recognize and react to potential threats. That alone is irresponsible campus leadership. When any leadership is more concerned with image than safety there is a lack of accountability to those whom they serve. It may not be the legal definition of lack of institutional control, but that's exactly what it is.
03-15-2018 09:30 AM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(03-15-2018 09:30 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-15-2018 08:49 AM)ken d Wrote:  

A crime was committed that was handled not by the Waco PD but the campus police and nothing was disclosed for 5 months. It took even longer under Starr before transgressions were released. It sure seems to me that exactly the same protocol of the plethora of earlier issues was followed. The girls reported to their coach, their coach told the administration, the campus police handled the investigation, and months passed before the public was made aware.

It was a great day at Auburn when the campus police were replaced with by the Auburn PD, not that we ever had anything like this around here. It's just that the campus police answer to the wrong authority if they are to be free of having to worry about image and internal politics. At least that is less true of the city police department. While not free of politics entirely, they at least answer to the mayor and city council.

A failure to disclose assaults on a college campus leaves the students a little less prepared to recognize and react to potential threats. That alone is irresponsible campus leadership. When any leadership is more concerned with image than safety there is a lack of accountability to those whom they serve. It may not be the legal definition of lack of institutional control, but that's exactly what it is.

I agree. I know that if my daughter was a student there, I'd be pissed off if assault investigations were diverted to campus police, kept away from city police or county sheriffs, not publicly disclosed, and just dealt with "internally".
03-15-2018 10:23 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
What strikes me odd is why the victims did not go straight to the Waco Police in this matter. No offense to campus security forces but wasn't this a job for the real cops? Shouldn't Waco Police have jurisdiction over a campus that is within city limits?
03-15-2018 04:08 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
It is my understanding that this incident was reported to the Waco City police at the same time it was recorded on the university's crime log maintained by campus police. There was no inordinate delay in involving outside law enforcement.

Some reports (erroneously) suggested that the players were only recently suspended, when in fact they were suspended immediately.

If a ball was dropped here, it would have been dropped by law enforcement, not Baylor or its campus police.
03-15-2018 04:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.