Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Brown Group seeks diversity in speakers
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Brown Group seeks diversity in speakers
http://www.browndailyherald.com/2018/03/...-at-brown/

"In 2001, newly instated President Ruth Simmons famously responded to controversy surrounding a racist advertisement in The Herald by stating that “it is easy enough to exist in a realm where everyone is like-minded and speaks only of unimportant matters. That’s easy. While comfort may be found in silence, truth cannot dwell there.” Fifteen years later, her successor, President Christina Paxson P’19, stressed the importance of freedom of expression on college campuses in her 2016 convocation speech, likening the censorship of ideas in universities to “turning off the power in a factory.” Both emphasized that civil discourse and debate among opposing views are essential resources for students to develop, build on and perhaps even challenge their pre-existing beliefs. In that vein, universities have the responsibility to expose their students to a diverse spectrum of ideologies and opinions, as doing otherwise would effectively lull students into thinking in a one-dimensional manner. All this begs the question: Has our university lived up to the promise of engaging its students in ideological diversity?...

Of the 237 speakers who were politically identifiable based on campaign contributions, social media statements and career histories, 94.5 percent leaned left, while a mere 5.5 percent leaned right. In an examination of political contributions by these speakers, 97.4 percent of donations went to Democratic races and political action committees, whereas only 2.6 percent went to Republican ones. "
03-16-2018 09:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
RE: Brown Group seeks diversity in speakers
Boy, being an oppressed leftist is getting to be awfully profitable and privileged.
03-16-2018 09:19 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Its a private school.

Should Liberty University seek diversity in its speakers?
03-16-2018 12:34 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(03-16-2018 12:34 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Its a private school.

I guess with Fit being banned you get the crown now.

[Image: 5XcwohH.png]

And Liberty does seek diversity in it's speakers. However you are confusing diversity with going against the mission of Liberty University, which is to be a Christian research institution. Allowing one of your degenerates to speak there would go against their mission.

Now you can say we are comparing apples to apples if you can point out anything in Brown University's mission that excludes conservatism. If you can't then it's yet another LazyTom interjecting the Gaystapo Agenda into a conversation where it doesn't belong.
03-16-2018 12:44 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

Its a group of people from Brown seeking diversity for the benefit of all.
03-16-2018 12:48 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
and the pendulum continues to swing to the right
03-16-2018 12:48 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2018 12:44 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

And Liberty does seek diversity in it's speakers. However you are confusing diversity with going against the mission of Liberty University, which is to be a Christian research institution. Allowing one of your degenerates to speak there would go against their mission.

Now you can say we are comparing apples to apples if you can point out anything in Brown University's mission that excludes conservatism. If you can't then it's yet another LazyTom interjecting the Gaystapo Agenda into a conversation where it doesn't belong.

And Brown has had a conservative or two speak there too. No different. Just curious as to whether you think that the issue of campus freedom at private schools is only a problem when you feel that its your side that is on the wrong side of it.

Did I mention Gay anything? But since YOU brought it up, don't whine when the people who cannot get jobs or even be students at the MANY schools that overtly discriminate against them congregate at schools that will have them. And Brown does NOT discriminate in hiring or admissions either unlike Liberty.

So basically your argument. A private school full of liberals doesn't have equal participation by conservatives in activities on campus and that's wrong. But, when a right wing school discriminates, its perfectly acceptable.

----

If you'd like to discuss discrimination on viewpoint, hiring, and admissions at private schools, and apply those concepts equally, I'm all ears. Would you simply prefer Brown just declare it to be a mission school affiliated with the MCC (a liberal church) and then use that as an excuse to exclude certain campus activities?
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2018 01:11 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
03-16-2018 01:09 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(03-16-2018 01:09 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

And Brown has had a conservative or two speak there too. No different. Just curious as to whether you think that the issue of campus freedom at private schools is only a problem when you feel that its your side that is on the wrong side of it.

Did I mention Gay anything? But since YOU brought it up, don't whine when the people who cannot get jobs or even be students at the MANY schools that overtly discriminate against them congregate at schools that will have them. And Brown does NOT discriminate in hiring or admissions either unlike Liberty.

So basically your argument. A private school full of liberals doesn't have equal participation by conservatives in activities on campus and that's wrong. But, when a right wing school discriminates, its perfectly acceptable.

----

If you'd like to discuss discrimination on viewpoint, hiring, and admissions at private schools, and apply those concepts equally, I'm all ears. Would you simply prefer Brown just declare it to be a mission school affiliated with the MCC (a liberal church) and then use that as an excuse to exclude certain campus activities?

You didn't have to. You've cried about Liberty being mean to degenerates for as long as I've been on this board.

And unlike the leftist universities Liberty has peacefully allowed leftists to speak, like Ted Kennedy and Bernie Sanders.
03-16-2018 01:15 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2018 01:15 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(03-16-2018 01:09 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

----

You didn't have to. You've cried about Liberty being mean to degenerates for as long as I've been on this board.

And unlike the leftist universities Liberty has peacefully allowed leftists to speak, like Ted Kennedy and Bernie Sanders.

Glad to know that in your mind, the mere mention of Liberty University = Discrimination against LGBT people. The branding is working. BTW, they've arrested moderate and minority groups for entering their campus.

There are conservatives and evangelical christians at Brown. The opposite can not be true at many conservative private schools.

Again, why shouldn't Brown just loosely affiliate with the MCC and then claim that religious dictates require them to just ban certain speakers, potential hires, and prospective students? Seems to be a simple paperwork solution here.
03-16-2018 01:22 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

Brown, like many other schools, is starting to realize that catering to every weirdo and flake is not a good business model.
03-16-2018 01:37 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2018 01:37 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Brown, like many other schools, is starting to realize that catering to every weirdo and flake is not a good business model.

LOL. Brown is a fantastically successful school. They have an eye popping 3.5 Billion dollar endowment and they're actually moving to a 'no loans' student aid policy that will simply issue grants to all students that qualify for financial aid. So what that means is this. Means based tuition.

They are easily one of the most respected schools in the country. And people will crawl over broken glass to gain admission. They have a 9.3 percent admissions rate. If you come from a poor family and you get in.....basically you go to school for free and will graduate with an Ivy League degree with no debt.

Not providing a venue for Ben Shapiro or similar alt right bloviators with their money at their PRIVATE school isn't going to move the needle much.

Again, if Liberty or Hillsdale can do it, then so can Brown or Cornell.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2018 02:35 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
03-16-2018 02:32 PM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

(03-16-2018 02:32 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Not providing a venue for Ben Shapiro or similar alt right bloviators with their money at their PRIVATE school isn't going to move the needle much.

The left will tolerate anything except for anyone who disagrees with anything the the left believes.
03-16-2018 02:50 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2018 02:50 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(03-16-2018 02:32 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Not providing a venue for Ben Shapiro or similar alt right bloviators with their money at their PRIVATE school isn't going to move the needle much.

The left will tolerate anything except for anyone who disagrees with anything the the left believes.

At least Evangelicals and Conservatives can be employed at and attend Brown.

What part of PRIVATE do you not understand? Is the only reason why this is somehow bad is because

1) Its supposedly conservatives that feel marginalized. Apparently its the privilege of conservatives and evangelicals to force their views on others, but they don't need to make any accommodations for liberals and those outside their religious dictates at their schools

OR

2) Brown should be condemned for its behavior because it hasn't 'parked' its supposed discrimination in the guise of following a religion.
03-16-2018 03:03 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

(03-16-2018 03:03 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  What part of PRIVATE do you not understand? Is the only reason why this is somehow bad is because

If only you had the same concern for PRIVATE when you make your demands on private establishments. 03-lmfao

And we all know what schools are advocating here, and why. It's because liberals do not respect conservatives or their rights, they barely tolerate conservatives only so long as we don’t upset the precious ivory tower.

(03-16-2018 03:03 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  1) Its supposedly conservatives that feel marginalized. Apparently its the privilege of conservatives and evangelicals to force their views on others, but they don't need to make any accommodations for liberals and those outside their religious dictates at their schools

Conservative are marginalized on campus, and your team forced them out.
03-16-2018 04:08 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

(03-16-2018 03:03 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(03-16-2018 02:50 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  

At least Evangelicals and Conservatives can be employed at and attend Brown.

What part of PRIVATE do you not understand? Is the only reason why this is somehow bad is because

1) Its supposedly conservatives that feel marginalized. Apparently its the privilege of conservatives and evangelicals to force their views on others, but they don't need to make any accommodations for liberals and those outside their religious dictates at their schools

OR

2) Brown should be condemned for its behavior because it hasn't 'parked' its supposed discrimination in the guise of following a religion.

and illegal aliens should gtfo and voters should have a voter id and lowlife dems should amend the constitution as provided if they want our guns.

rules matter, right
03-16-2018 04:33 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2018 04:08 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(03-16-2018 03:03 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  What part of PRIVATE do you not understand? Is the only reason why this is somehow bad is because

If only you had the same concern for PRIVATE when you make your demands on private establishments. 03-lmfao

And we all know what schools are advocating here, and why. It's because liberals do not respect conservatives or their rights, they barely tolerate conservatives only so long as we don’t upset the precious ivory tower.

(03-16-2018 03:03 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  1) Its supposedly conservatives that feel marginalized. Apparently its the privilege of conservatives and evangelicals to force their views on others, but they don't need to make any accommodations for liberals and those outside their religious dictates at their schools

Conservative are marginalized on campus, and your team forced them out.

Liberals are BANNED from existing at some of the right wing campuses. That's a bit worse than being no more marginalized than say, a liberal at Troy University for example. If you'd like to come up with a set of rules for all private schools that all should have to obey, then lets talk about how that might look.
03-16-2018 06:41 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

(03-16-2018 02:32 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(03-16-2018 01:37 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Brown, like many other schools, is starting to realize that catering to every weirdo and flake is not a good business model.

LOL. Brown is a fantastically successful school. They have an eye popping 3.5 Billion dollar endowment and they're actually moving to a 'no loans' student aid policy that will simply issue grants to all students that qualify for financial aid. So what that means is this. Means based tuition.

They are easily one of the most respected schools in the country. And people will crawl over broken glass to gain admission. They have a 9.3 percent admissions rate. If you come from a poor family and you get in.....basically you go to school for free and will graduate with an Ivy League degree with no debt.

Not providing a venue for Ben Shapiro or similar alt right bloviators with their money at their PRIVATE school isn't going to move the needle much.

If you had read the article:

"...We are staunch liberals, lifelong conservatives, avowed libertarians, passionate socialists and everything in between; however, we share a common interest in diversity of thought. As an advisory and watchdog group, SPEAK hopes to facilitate civil debate and open-minded discovery for ourselves and our peers, an environment we argue is currently lacking.
The like-mindedness within our university can only be mitigated by welcoming differing voices into our discourse. Otherwise, how can we be sure that, in Simmons’ words, we do not speak “only of unimportant matters”?
03-16-2018 07:36 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2018 07:36 PM)bullet Wrote:  

"...We are staunch liberals, lifelong conservatives, avowed libertarians, passionate socialists and everything in between; however, we share a common interest in diversity of thought. As an advisory and watchdog group, SPEAK hopes to facilitate civil debate and open-minded discovery for ourselves and our peers, an environment we argue is currently lacking.
The like-mindedness within our university can only be mitigated by welcoming differing voices into our discourse. Otherwise, how can we be sure that, in Simmons’ words, we do not speak “only of unimportant matters”?

Again, if its wrong for Brown to not welcome all viewpoints equally, then its wrong for Hillsdale or Wheaton to do the same, right? I expect to see Dan Savage at Hillsdale soon, right? I look forward to seeing Kathy Griffin's comedy tour stop by Grove City College or Berry.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2018 07:43 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
03-16-2018 07:41 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(03-16-2018 07:41 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

Again, if its wrong for Brown to not welcome all viewpoints equally, then its wrong for Hillsdale or Wheaton to do the same, right? I expect to see Dan Savage at Hillsdale soon, right? I look forward to seeing Kathy Griffin's comedy tour stop by Grove City College or Berry.

There are only a handful of schools excluding liberals. In any event, this is Brown students asking for diversity, not outsiders.
03-16-2018 08:33 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2018 08:33 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(03-16-2018 07:41 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

There are only a handful of schools excluding liberals. In any event, this is Brown students asking for diversity, not outsiders.

Actually, its more than a handful. And the right wing schools don't allow liberals in many cases to even exist at their schools. At least the liberal schools will allow them to work or attend school there.

Here's a (sadly) not fully inclusive list of schools that are intolerant of equal viewpoints. And I'm leaving schools off like Catholic and Yeshiva University, where like Brown, there is some question as to the level of viewpoint discrimination. I also left off schools that seemed purely to be theological seminaries. Its possible that the information on any one particular school has changed since the research has come out. If you'd like to question any of them, please let me know and we can discuss these schools within the context of how their marginalization compares to that of Brown University.

Houston Baptist, Dallas Baptist, Abilene Christian, Hutson-Tillotsen, Judson, Univ of Mobile, Mississippi College, Baylor, BYU, BYU-Idaho, BYU-Hawai'i, Liberty, Grove City, Wheaton, Ave Maria, Berry, Pensacola Christian, Oral Roberts, Anderson, Blue Mountain, Campellsville, Cumberland, Georgetown (Ky), Shorter, Mary Hardin-Baylor, Louisiana College, Oklahoma Baptist, Oachita Baptist, Charleston Southern, North Greenville, Bob Jones, Williams, William Carey, Union (Tenn), Belhaven, Huntington (Ind), George Fox, Harding, Andrews (Mich), Ashbury, Bethel College, Biola, Bryan, Carson-Newman, Colorado Christian, Corban, Covanent, Crown (Minn), Dordt, East Texas Baptist, Evangel (ind.), Franciscan University of Steubenville, Freed-Hardeman, Geneva College, Gordon College (Mass), Hannibal-LaGrange, Indiana Weslyan, Northwest Nazerene, Nyack College, Ohio Christian, Oklahoma Weslyan, Olivet Nazerene, Point Loma Nazarene, Regent University, Simpson University, Southeastern (Fla), Southern Nazarene, Southern Weslyan, Southwest Baptist, Southwestern Assemblies of God University, Spring Arbor University, Tabor College, Wayland Baptist, William Jessup.

And if I added every school that wouldn't allow a liberal speaker that was not supported by the leadership, this list would be a LOT a longer. Like Multiples of that list.

Pick a school, any of the EIGHTY schools on that list, and lets discuss the whole issue of viewpoint discrimination, marginalization, employment and admissions discrimination, etc. within the context of what private schools can do, and what they should be doing in those areas. We can pull campus policy documents, look at the history of viewpoint discrimination etc. read the student and faculty handbooks, etc.

OR

You guys can just admit you're only upset about supposed discrimination when it is a school doing it to a group you identify with

OR

Why not just admit that this is a problem that is wrong if anyone does it.

OR

Just stop whining about minor violations of freedom of thought on college campuses that are supposedly against people you identify with if you're going to demand that the other side puts up with much more serious violations of the same?
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2018 09:31 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
03-16-2018 09:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.