http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/m-b...ron00.html
03-19-2018 12:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
RE: New Charlotte HC: UVA assistant Ron Sanchez
Good hire. A lot of UTEP fans wanted him as our HC. We will be able to see his progress in conference and at the end decide if we made the correct choice in our hire.
03-19-2018 12:35 PM
wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Gotta think Mike Hill had him in mind when he took the job.
03-19-2018 12:39 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Time will tell if its good or not. What it is though since he is a Tony Bennett disciple, is another 1st to 50 wins coach. If he can get recruits to Charlotte then in a few years an ODU/Charlotte game should be a real classic.
03-19-2018 12:43 PM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

03-19-2018 12:44 PM
ghostofclt Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
clt is supportive.
03-19-2018 01:04 PM
Advertisement

PirateJP Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU; Charlotte
(03-19-2018 12:43 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  Time will tell if its good or not. What it is though since he is a Tony Bennett disciple, is another 1st to 50 wins coach. If he can get recruits to Charlotte then in a few years an ODU/Charlotte game should be a real classic.

Yeah, not real thrilled about this, I hope I'm wrong though. Personally I was hoping to get a coach that favors an uptempo style of play.
03-19-2018 01:22 PM
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
(03-19-2018 01:22 PM)PirateJP Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 12:43 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  Time will tell if its good or not. What it is though since he is a Tony Bennett disciple, is another 1st to 50 wins coach. If he can get recruits to Charlotte then in a few years an ODU/Charlotte game should be a real classic.

Yeah, not real thrilled about this, I hope I'm wrong though. Personally I was hoping to get a coach that favors an uptempo style of play.

Give me defense all day everyday. Additionally, it's not that their offense is bad, that's a bit of a myth (it's actually pretty good being in the top-50 or so in offensive efficiency), it's that there are fewer possessions and they play such tough defense the other team is not going to get any good looks. Give me Tony Bennett over Tony Shaver any day. I love a team that goes 30-2 in the ACC with the number one overall seed without loading the roster full of McDonald's AAs.
03-19-2018 03:45 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

Good start. Excited to see the staff he puts together.

I'm hoping Jeff McInnis is offered a position. He is well connected in recruiting circles and he wants to be here. I'm not sure he ever got his degree from unc though, so he may not be eligible to be an ncaa coach.
03-19-2018 04:00 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(03-19-2018 04:00 PM)Niner National Wrote:  Good start. Excited to see the staff he puts together.

I'm hoping Jeff McInnis is offered a position. He is well connected in recruiting circles and he wants to be here. I'm not sure he ever got his degree from unc though, so he may not be eligible to be an ncaa coach.

I don't think it's an NCAA requirement, though I'm sure the higher up the food chain you go, the more scrutiny a program would draw if it hired or even interviewed someone who didn't graduate.

There's been a few coaches who quit/were fired, but if I remember correctly, it was that they lied about having the degrees, and that combined with the resulting media coverage sent them packing.
03-19-2018 04:14 PM
ghostofclt Offline
1st String

(03-19-2018 04:00 PM)Niner National Wrote:  Good start. Excited to see the staff he puts together.

clt says he could just ask, and UNC CHeat would provide one.
03-19-2018 05:04 PM
Advertisement

Rabonchild Offline
1st String

My apologies to CUSA. A serious school hires proven winners. For the third hire in a row UNCC has chosen to go the no-head coaching experience route. This is nothing against the new head coach, its all on UNCC.

This appears to be nothing less than Judy 2.0
03-19-2018 06:04 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-19-2018 06:04 PM)Rabonchild Wrote:  My apologies to CUSA. A serious school hires proven winners. For the third hire in a row UNCC has chosen to go the no-head coaching experience route. This is nothing against the new head coach, its all on UNCC.

03-19-2018 06:41 PM
Rabonchild Offline
1st String

(03-19-2018 06:41 PM)Niner National Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 06:04 PM)Rabonchild Wrote:  My apologies to CUSA. A serious school hires proven winners. For the third hire in a row UNCC has chosen to go the no-head coaching experience route. This is nothing against the new head coach, its all on UNCC.

I’ll be dumb and you dumber, they will make us dumb and dumber.
03-19-2018 07:01 PM
Dowless Offline
Special Teams

I don't know if he will be successful or not, but I do believe that every successful coach was once an assistant and not every successful coach was a head coach somewhere else first. I will at least hope that he is a winner until he proves me wrong. Otherwise, I would have a terrible life as a sports fan.
03-19-2018 07:53 PM
jaminniner Offline
2nd String

As a Charlotte fan I hope for the best and want Sanchez to be successful but I’m not excited at all by this hire. I wanted a guy who has been a head coach before.
03-19-2018 08:15 PM
Advertisement

Rabonchild Offline
1st String

When you were once one of the top 50 programs in the nation and fall as far as we have status qou is unacceptable. I now see that Judy’s impact affected more than just the school & sports. It has also infected some of the fans.

I want the new coach to succeed. I will be backing him, but that does not mean I have to be happy with the hire, And neither does it mean I have to like the fact that it appears nothing has changed with UNCC’s administrative approach since Judy resigned. Historically this program deserves better than three coaches in a row without head coaching experience.
03-19-2018 08:42 PM
Tintin Offline
1st String

(03-19-2018 08:42 PM)Rabonchild Wrote:  When you were once one of the top 50 programs in the nation and fall as far as we have status qou is unacceptable. I now see that Judy’s impact affected more than just the school & sports. It has also infected some of the fans.

I want the new coach to succeed. I will be backing him, but that does not mean I have to be happy with the hire, And neither does it mean I have to like the fact that it appears nothing has changed with UNCC’s administrative approach since Judy resigned. Historically this program deserves better than three coaches in a row without head coaching experience.

I'll take a guy who can recruit who worked with a top notch head coach over a guy with a couple of good seasons at a small school in a small conference who doesn't have the recruiting connections.

Just curious, what head coach do you think we should have hired that would come here after our last five years or so and the cupboard bare?
03-19-2018 09:05 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(03-19-2018 03:45 PM)TribeNiner Wrote:  Give me defense all day everyday. Additionally, it's not that their offense is bad, that's a bit of a myth (it's actually pretty good being in the top-50 or so in offensive efficiency), it's that there are fewer possessions and they play such tough defense the other team is not going to get any good looks. Give me Tony Bennett over Tony Shaver any day. I love a team that goes 30-2 in the ACC with the number one overall seed without loading the roster full of McDonald's AAs.

So you want to play a game that no one wants to watch. I absolutely hate watching Tony Bennett, Jeff Jones and others who run the shot clock down to 3-5 seconds and then shoot. Where each team if you control the pace may get a total of 45-50 possessions a game and win or lose 51-49.

Enjoy falling asleep....
03-19-2018 09:23 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(03-19-2018 08:15 PM)jaminniner Wrote:  As a Charlotte fan I hope for the best and want Sanchez to be successful but I’m not excited at all by this hire. I wanted a guy who has been a head coach before.

VCU went from middling CAA program to Final Four and frequent NCAA participant on the strength of three assistants. You can hire the wrong assistant, but you can also hire a smaller-program HC that can't make the transition to a higher level (Ben Braun, Keno Davis). No clue if this guy is the answer but it won't be because he's not already a head coach.
03-19-2018 09:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.