Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FCS/FBS Games
Bookmark and Share
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
FCS/FBS Games
An ODU fan has floated the idea of ceasing games against FCS opponents for CUSA (and been pretty much shot down by other fans).

https://csnbbs.com/thread-850862.html

My question is: how do others feel about playing FBS teams? I know several think they are injury risks with low upside.

For me, I've always enjoyed the games. For the most part, I enjoy seeing other teams' fans get surprised when they see the quality of the starters at decent FCS schools. Most of them don't seem to have much idea that the starters at upper-tier FCS schools can hang with most anyone. I also think the depth, speed and strength of these teams helps us in prepping for the remainder of the season (and the game check is an added bonus).

What do others think?
05-30-2018 02:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribeheart Online
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: FCS/FBS Games
Would imagine the program would be pushed to meet a budget without the money.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
05-30-2018 02:31 PM
Tribal Offline

FCS/FBS Games
It's a big recruitment tool for us

We need $400,000

Cheap way to get good to excellent exposure/PR

Doesn't usually hurt us as far as playoff bids

Can catapult us in rankings and playoff seed

Fun for fans

Not sure, but I think some or all of the attendance # counts toward our overall attendance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2018 02:38 PM by Tribal.)
05-30-2018 02:37 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
It's a false statement that players are more prone to injury playing a FBS opponent vs playing a FCS team. Studies have shown there's absolutely no more of a chance playing the big boys than playing anyone else. The only thing that may prevent an injury to a starter when playing a lessor opponent is getting a huge lead and pulling the better players. But the same can be said if you are getting blown out by a FBS team there is the coaches decision as to whether to leave in the starters or not.
05-30-2018 03:53 PM
Tribal Offline

(05-30-2018 03:53 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  It's a false statement that players are more prone to injury playing a FBS opponent vs playing a FCS team. Studies have shown there's absolutely no more of a chance playing the big boys than playing anyone else. The only thing that may prevent an injury to a starter when playing a lessor opponent is getting a huge lead and pulling the better players. But the same can be said if you are getting blown out by a FBS team there is the coaches decision as to whether to leave in the starters or not.
I'd appreciate a link to the studies you cited.

05-30-2018 05:08 PM
namtrag Offline
Water Engineer

It's hard to take that suggestion seriously from someone who is a fan of a C-USA football team, a conference that 98% of football fans would be hard pressed to name one team which is a member.

Here is an article about ODU's students not coming out to support them, and spot-on quotes from several students:

"I asked ODU students, via Twitter, why they aren’t going to games and got a dozen or so responses. One from Daniel MacCall, a finance major from Northern Virginia, seemed to hit most of the high points.

He said most ODU students are unfamiliar with C-USA opponents and that home games aren’t as exciting as they used to be. Two games were scheduled too close to the fall and Thanksgiving breaks, he said, and the north end zone that holds the student seating is a lousy place to watch a game.

Tailgating, and then leaving to watch a game at a sports bar, is just more fun than going in person, he said.

Jake Ayers, an electrical engineering student from Richmond, said many students wish ODU had never left the Colonial Athletic Association and in-state rivalries with Richmond, William & Mary and James Madison."
05-31-2018 08:35 AM
Advertisement

Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
(05-31-2018 08:35 AM)namtrag Wrote:  It's hard to take that suggestion seriously from someone who is a fan of a C-USA football team, a conference that 98% of football fans would be hard pressed to name one team which is a member.

Here is an article about ODU's students not coming out to support them, and spot-on quotes from several students:

"I asked ODU students, via Twitter, why they aren’t going to games and got a dozen or so responses. One from Daniel MacCall, a finance major from Northern Virginia, seemed to hit most of the high points.

He said most ODU students are unfamiliar with C-USA opponents and that home games aren’t as exciting as they used to be. Two games were scheduled too close to the fall and Thanksgiving breaks, he said, and the north end zone that holds the student seating is a lousy place to watch a game.

Tailgating, and then leaving to watch a game at a sports bar, is just more fun than going in person, he said.

Jake Ayers, an electrical engineering student from Richmond, said many students wish ODU had never left the Colonial Athletic Association and in-state rivalries with Richmond, William & Mary and James Madison."

True enough, but they have Va. Tech playing at their place this September. If they can manage a game like that every year or so, that may mollify the fans considerably.
05-31-2018 09:26 AM
namtrag Offline
Water Engineer

That's a good point, but then they will have 4-5 home games against the likes of Rice, Western Kentucky, UTEP, etc.

I realize it's all driven by money, but they were a natural fit for the CAA, and would have been better off as an overall program if they had come back to the CAA in all sports, especially from a fans' perspective.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2018 09:43 AM by namtrag.)
05-31-2018 09:42 AM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

If you have a home game against VT and get stomped by 40, does that do anything more for attendance than beating a directional state school?
05-31-2018 09:53 AM
Rocco Offline
All American

I Root For: William and Mar
(05-31-2018 09:53 AM)hktribefan Wrote:  If you have a home game against VT and get stomped by 40, does that do anything more for attendance than beating a directional state school?

Yes, because VT fans that live in Tidewater aren't going to see ODU play a directional state school.
05-31-2018 10:38 AM
namtrag Offline
Water Engineer

Lots of JMU fans here in Tidewater. That game would be more rabidly attended than the VT game.
05-31-2018 11:23 AM
Advertisement

Zorch Online
All American

I Root For: W&M
(05-30-2018 02:37 PM)Tribal Wrote:  It's a big recruitment tool for us

Doesn't usually hurt us as far as playoff bids

I did not play collegiate football and so it is possible that other posters who underwent the recruitment process can chime in to disagree ...but I do not think that getting beaten every year by an FBS opponent, as we are most years and many times by large margins, serves as a recruiting inducement. I would think that the possibility of regular appearances in the FCS playoffs (hopefully to the point of being routine) would serve as more of an attraction.

Speaking of playoffs, it is true that an FBS loss wouldn't necessarily hurt us for playoff considerations -- as long as we qualify for the playoffs anyway. However, I maintain that trading an almost guaranteed FBS loss for an FCS win would go a lot further toward getting us into the playoffs on a routine basis. The formula is there for FCS success (6 or more home games and no guaranteed losses) and all we have to do is follow it. JMU already has and they have won 2 national championships.

By the way, I know 6 home games is not going to happen in an 11 game schedule and the reason is because we need the guaranteed money from the FBS school. Just saying, though, that ideally we would want to always play 6 home games.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2018 12:04 PM by Zorch.)
05-31-2018 11:54 AM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
(05-30-2018 05:08 PM)Tribal Wrote:  
(05-30-2018 03:53 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  It's a false statement that players are more prone to injury playing a FBS opponent vs playing a FCS team. Studies have shown there's absolutely no more of a chance playing the big boys than playing anyone else. The only thing that may prevent an injury to a starter when playing a lessor opponent is getting a huge lead and pulling the better players. But the same can be said if you are getting blown out by a FBS team there is the coaches decision as to whether to leave in the starters or not.
I'd appreciate a link to the studies you cited.

I do worry about QB injuries is you are an FCS team that is over matched on the offensive line against a good FBS team. I can think of 2 QBs injured against UVA in the late 80s/early 90's and will never forget losing our QB against UNC and a cheap shop.

I do think the FCS vs FBS match cup increases the probability of the QB getting blindsided. If you throw only quick passes, maybe it doesn't happen, but if you are trying to win the game as W&M was in the 3 games I can remember with QB injuries, you run your offense and wind up with some long yardage situation because you can't run very well against a bigger d line.
05-31-2018 12:45 PM
Rocco Offline
All American

I Root For: William and Mar
(05-31-2018 11:23 AM)namtrag Wrote:  Lots of JMU fans here in Tidewater. That game would be more rabidly attended than the VT game.

[Image: ef8.jpg]
05-31-2018 03:47 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(05-31-2018 12:45 PM)NC Tribe Wrote:  I do worry about QB injuries is you are an FCS team that is over matched on the offensive line against a good FBS team. I can think of 2 QBs injured against UVA in the late 80s/early 90's and will never forget losing our QB against UNC and a cheap shop.

I do think the FCS vs FBS match cup increases the probability of the QB getting blindsided. If you throw only quick passes, maybe it doesn't happen, but if you are trying to win the game as W&M was in the 3 games I can remember with QB injuries, you run your offense and wind up with some long yardage situation because you can't run very well against a bigger d line.

That UNC game wasn't much different than the cheap shot we took in a game vs. VMI in '97. Injuries and cheap shots happen vs. big time teams and scrubs. FCS vs. FBS differences in ability are overstated in general. It's not like a high school team playing an NFL team, it's like a medium sized high school team playing a large high school team.
05-31-2018 08:18 PM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
(05-31-2018 08:18 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  
(05-31-2018 12:45 PM)NC Tribe Wrote:  I do worry about QB injuries is you are an FCS team that is over matched on the offensive line against a good FBS team. I can think of 2 QBs injured against UVA in the late 80s/early 90's and will never forget losing our QB against UNC and a cheap shop.

That UNC game wasn't much different than the cheap shot we took in a game vs. VMI in '97. Injuries and cheap shots happen vs. big time teams and scrubs. FCS vs. FBS differences in ability are overstated in general. It's not like a high school team playing an NFL team, it's like a medium sized high school team playing a large high school team.

The two injuries I believe you are referencing:

1) 1988 - John Brosnahan - sliced a tendon in his throwing hand against a helmet snap or facemask clip while following through on a pass. Fluke play that could have happened in any game. Missed several games the rest of the season.

2) 1994 - Shawn Knight - I don't recall if it was a shoulder injury, wrist injury or ankle injury (he was often banged up). Shawn was somewhat prone to shoulder injuries having had recurring pains in 1992 (I recall him having an issue just before the Epson Ivy Bowl in January 1993 - played after the 1992 season) as well as being injured in the shoulder against Delaware in 1993 - causing him to miss a game or two (definitely missed Tulane game). If it was his wrist or ankle, those are things that just happen regardless of the level of competition. Heck, those are often "non-contact injuries".

In short, my opinion is neither of these QB injuries against UVA had anything to do with playing an FBS (1-A at the time) school.
05-31-2018 10:18 PM
Advertisement

TribeNomad Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(05-31-2018 10:18 PM)Tribe1693 Wrote:  
(05-31-2018 08:18 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  

The two injuries I believe you are referencing:

1) 1988 - John Brosnahan - sliced a tendon in his throwing hand against a helmet snap or facemask clip while following through on a pass. Fluke play that could have happened in any game. Missed several games the rest of the season.

2) 1994 - Shawn Knight - I don't recall if it was a shoulder injury, wrist injury or ankle injury (he was often banged up). Shawn was somewhat prone to shoulder injuries having had recurring pains in 1992 (I recall him having an issue just before the Epson Ivy Bowl in January 1993 - played after the 1992 season) as well as being injured in the shoulder against Delaware in 1993 - causing him to miss a game or two (definitely missed Tulane game). If it was his wrist or ankle, those are things that just happen regardless of the level of competition. Heck, those are often "non-contact injuries".

In short, my opinion is neither of these QB injuries against UVA had anything to do with playing an FBS (1-A at the time) school.

Mike Cook at VMI. Derailed a very promising season.

Mike Paulus at UNC.
06-01-2018 05:44 AM
billymac Offline
Heisman

(06-01-2018 05:44 AM)TribeNomad Wrote:  Mike Cook at VMI. Derailed a very promising season.

Mike Paulus at UNC.

These were the two biggest "intentional" injuries, in my memory.
06-01-2018 07:09 AM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

The Paulus injury in the game at UNC, where we led 13-7 well into the fourth quarter, was intentional.
He had completed something like 14 of 15 passes and was racked up on a blatant late hit, hurt his shoulder and never was the same player again.
06-01-2018 12:00 PM
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
(06-01-2018 12:00 PM)bubbadog57 Wrote:  The Paulus injury in the game at UNC, where we led 13-7 well into the fourth quarter, was intentional.
He had completed something like 14 of 15 passes and was racked up on a blatant late hit, hurt his shoulder and never was the same player again.

In addition to the fact that Paulus had transferred to W&M from UNC.
06-01-2018 12:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.