Bowl Tie-in
07-12-2018 01:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Campaign4Liberty Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Neil Young
RE: Bowl Tie-in
I have to laugh at the folks who were against a move to FBS...but we won’t have any bowl games, they said. We won’t get to play for anything, they said. We would rather have a chance at the FCS playoffs, they said.

Not only do we have a bowl tie-in, we have it a year earlier than we all thought. All we gotta do now is win baby win!
07-12-2018 04:45 PM
cruzan_flame13 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: LIBERTY
(07-12-2018 04:45 PM)Campaign4Liberty Wrote:  I have to laugh at the folks who were against a move to FBS...but we won’t have any bowl games, they said. We won’t get to play for anything, they said. We would rather have a chance at the FCS playoffs, they said.

Not only do we have a bowl tie-in, we have it a year earlier than we all thought. All we gotta do now is win baby win!

I was laughed at when I mentioned these things and even more possibilities since McCaw came into town. I figured that business and connections can do wonders, so why not do the inevitable! I wonder if some folks even have faith or they just want to mock people for excitement. With God all things are possible!02-13-banana COGS
07-12-2018 06:58 PM
LibertyOrangeman Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Liberty, SU
“What (this agreement) really affirms for us, is the viability of being an FBS Independent long-term, and that’s the direction we’re headed,” McCaw said.

That was taken from the ASOR article, and is what the real gravity of what the announcement means. This is what the naysayers missed or are ignoring.

http://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-secures...cure-bowl/
07-12-2018 08:29 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
The agreement is only for two years, right? It is unlikely we will be bowl eligible and we are a back up if the Sun Belt or AAC don't have enough teams. This is basically a flier by the bowl with little risk we will be selected.

Don't get me wrong, this is better than nothing but the chances are slim for us going to this bowl.
07-12-2018 08:54 PM
cruzan_flame13 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: LIBERTY
(07-12-2018 08:54 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  The agreement is only for two years, right? It is unlikely we will be bowl eligible and we are a back up if the Sun Belt or AAC don't have enough teams. This is basically a flier by the bowl with little risk we will be selected.

Don't get me wrong, this is better than nothing but the chances are slim for us going to this bowl.

I believe that is the point, especially with the coach and some staff that we have. This does show two positive advantages:

1. It shows how McCaw obtains some good connections and will make other high ups interested business wise.
2. Make recruits even more interested since LU has done things others schools have never done before entering FBS.

I’m sure we could get better outcomes for the program, but there will need to be some changes to achieve success.

*I know this has nothing to do with the bowl, but some reason I don’t think we will stay in the ASUN down the road when another big opportunity arises(if McCaw stays that long)*
07-12-2018 09:07 PM
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

(07-12-2018 09:07 PM)cruzan_flame13 Wrote:  
(07-12-2018 08:54 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  The agreement is only for two years, right? It is unlikely we will be bowl eligible and we are a back up if the Sun Belt or AAC don't have enough teams. This is basically a flier by the bowl with little risk we will be selected.

I believe that is the point, especially with the coach and some staff that we have. This does show two positive advantages:

1. It shows how McCaw obtains some good connections and will make other high ups interested business wise.
2. Make recruits even more interested since LU has done things others schools have never done before entering FBS.

I’m sure we could get better outcomes for the program, but there will need to be some changes to achieve success.

*I know this has nothing to do with the bowl, but some reason I don’t think we will stay in the ASUN down the road when another big opportunity arises(if McCaw stays that long)*

McCaw has excellent connections which is one of the reasons he was an excellent P5 AD but based on what happened at Baylor, I expect this to be his final AD position. In fact, I was surprised anyone hired him. That is besides the point so I won't harp on it.

This bowl agreement is good news however unlikely. We may parlay this into something better but it's up to us to perform. And I agree that we will be (and probably currently are) looking to change conferences if something arises better than the A-Sun.
07-12-2018 09:34 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
We are an alternate for the game but this is one of the last filled bowls so it is likely if we are eligible that we’d get in the bowl. I think two years ago they were unable to fill their bowl slot so they got San Jose State to fill as a 5-7 team. Either way it’s a great step considering we managed this in the short amount of time (looking at you UMASS)(have to get that rivalry going lol 05-stirthepot ). Orlando would be a fun city to make a trip. The key to a long term contract is winning. Myrtle Beach would be a highly likely bowl game for us after this expires. CUSA vs LU?
07-12-2018 09:55 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
FYI, this bowl is among the last bowls in the AAC pecking order. It has only been filled by the AAC once in three years. The first year, the bowl had to go out and get San Jose State, and last year had to get WKU, since the AAC was unable to fill bowl.

With the AAC having 8 tie ins for 12 teams currently, not including a potential NY6 bid, it's likely and almost certain that this bowl will go unfilled by AAC at least once over the next 2 years.

The Sun Belt has filled it's slot every year. You would be playing a Sun Belt team.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2018 01:14 PM by BullsFanInTX.)
07-13-2018 01:12 PM
GE and MTS Offline

(07-13-2018 01:12 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  FYI, this bowl is among the last bowls in the AAC pecking order. It has only been filled by the AAC once in three years. The first year, the bowl had to go out and get San Jose State, and last year had to get WKU, since the AAC was unable to fill bowl.

With the AAC having 8 tie ins for 12 teams currently, not including a potential NY6 bid, it's likely and almost certain that this bowl will go unfilled by AAC at least once over the next 2 years.

The Sun Belt has filled it's slot every year. You would be playing a Sun Belt team.

Thanks for the history lesson. Obviously we would rather play an AAC school but at this point we just want to be bowl eligible.
07-13-2018 08:29 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
(07-12-2018 09:55 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  We are an alternate for the game but this is one of the last filled bowls so it is likely if we are eligible that we’d get in the bowl. I think two years ago they were unable to fill their bowl slot so they got San Jose State to fill as a 5-7 team. Either way it’s a great step considering we managed this in the short amount of time (looking at you UMASS)(have to get that rivalry going lol 05-stirthepot ). Orlando would be a fun city to make a trip. The key to a long term contract is winning. Myrtle Beach would be a highly likely bowl game for us after this expires. CUSA vs LU?

Very good news for Liberty and commented the thread on the Conference Realignment thread.

We started out with bad leadership, especially scheduling almost all P5 times in OOC and paid the price. That AD and HC are gone. We're taking it a game at a time. We need a money game and will play Georgia, perhaps the preseason #1 team. The big difference is it's the last game of the season. Starting off playing multiple P5 teams takes a toll on the players and we ended up playing like the walking wounded.

Last few years we did alright against SEC teams. We certainly played more than our fair share. To date we have never won the open game of the season. Hope it changes playing a good FCS team. Then off to a prayer as we play P5 Boston College, which recruits a lot of 3 and 4 star recruits and is ranked pretty good this year.

Good luck till we see you on Nov 3rd. Unfortunately the new concessions and bathrooms and ADA improvements will not be in for a year or two. The Bubble preparation will start immediately following our game.
07-17-2018 07:59 AM
Advertisement

Campaign4Liberty Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Neil Young
Yes it is a long shot we get an invite.
Yes it is the last in the pecking order for the AAC.
Who cares? “So your’re saying there’s a chance?”

Get pumped!
07-17-2018 04:53 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
The best news it that LU now has at least a carrot to dangle to recruits that LU is eligible, if a slot is open. From the glass half full position. At least now LU has something to counter competing schools who could use the label No Bowl LU against the school. It's a baby step and a building block.

When that opportunity occurs, at whatever time in the future, as an indy, LU needs to pull out all the stops to travel and travel well and put fannies in the seats. And being that I am 45 miles from Orlando, that would be sweet.
07-19-2018 07:35 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

(07-19-2018 07:35 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  The best news it that LU now has at least a carrot to dangle to recruits that LU is eligible, if a slot is open. From the glass half full position. At least now LU has something to counter competing schools who could use the label No Bowl LU against the school. It's a baby step and a building block.

When that opportunity occurs, at whatever time in the future, as an indy, LU needs to pull out all the stops to travel and travel well and put fannies in the seats. And being that I am 45 miles from Orlando, that would be sweet.

If I lived closer I would go but I live in SD. It’s difficult to justify that much travel.
07-19-2018 09:01 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
(07-19-2018 09:01 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  
(07-19-2018 07:35 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  The best news it that LU now has at least a carrot to dangle to recruits that LU is eligible, if a slot is open. From the glass half full position. At least now LU has something to counter competing schools who could use the label No Bowl LU against the school. It's a baby step and a building block.

If I lived closer I would go but I live in SD. It’s difficult to justify that much travel.
If you consider one of the low cost airlines such as Frontier, the prices are surprisingly less expensive than one would think. The low cost carriers tend to gravitate towards the non prime markets (for lower expense) and then the larger markets. I've flown Frontier from Orlando twice within the past year to Wisconsin and to PA and they were cheaper than most everyone else. It would certainly be worthwhile to spend the time investigating, and if you make the trip, I'll assist in providing "getting around" recommendations. And this is all based on LU making the bowl game, which now is a long way off.
07-20-2018 06:33 AM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

(07-20-2018 06:33 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  
(07-19-2018 09:01 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  

If you consider one of the low cost airlines such as Frontier, the prices are surprisingly less expensive than one would think. The low cost carriers tend to gravitate towards the non prime markets (for lower expense) and then the larger markets. I've flown Frontier from Orlando twice within the past year to Wisconsin and to PA and they were cheaper than most everyone else. It would certainly be worthwhile to spend the time investigating, and if you make the trip, I'll assist in providing "getting around" recommendations. And this is all based on LU making the bowl game, which now is a long way off.

If and when it happens I’ll definitely look into it.
07-20-2018 11:01 AM
Advertisement

WesternSkillet Offline
All American

I Root For: LU
So, LU just had an unexpected win against New Mexico and LU is now 2-2. The schedule still has 2 FCS games and two games against NMSU. New Mexico beat NMSU already this season. LU has a good chance to win both FCS game and NMSU x2. The Umass game could also be a potential win if one of those four games mentioned is a loss.

The point, LU has a decent chance to be bowl eligible this season.
09-30-2018 02:28 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Will LU be able to count both FCS games, for purpose of bowl-eligibility?
09-30-2018 02:37 PM
GE and MTS Offline

(09-30-2018 02:37 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  Will LU be able to count both FCS games, for purpose of bowl-eligibility?

I don't think so. Assuming both are wins, only one counts I believe.
09-30-2018 04:02 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

(09-30-2018 04:02 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  
(09-30-2018 02:37 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  Will LU be able to count both FCS games, for purpose of bowl-eligibility?

I don't think so. Assuming both are wins, only one counts I believe.

If there are not enough 6 win teams we can count them. I highly doubt we get to 6 wins. I’m really concerned for that Idaho St game. They’ve won some games against tough FCS teams North Dakota and Northern Arizona. The played Cal pretty well. I said this off-season that was the game I was most concerned about losing.
09-30-2018 04:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.