Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tulsa recruiting some top Texas
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:

football players!! After KU, it looks like we need some?? The Dallas Morning News has it's first recruiting report of the year out. Tulsa is listed by 8 of the Top 100 North Texas players and 2 of the Top 100 in the state. They are mostly defensive players but one QB and one running back. As the season goes on, I will list the players when everything shakes out a little. If anyone wants to know about any particular player, let me know!!
09-05-2004 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tech Dawgs Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

DMN gets all of their recruiting info from Rivals, so all of it and then some is already over there.
09-10-2004 01:50 PM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Good, then I won't have to pay for rivals to get the info!!
09-10-2004 04:10 PM
richardm Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

jfisher Wrote:Good, then I won't have to pay for rivals to get the info!!
And I get all my information from jfisher, who gets it from DMN, who get it from Rivals. I appreciate it.
09-10-2004 07:16 PM
Advertisement

Tech Dawgs Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Pretty funny.

You obviously know that isn't what I meant. Rivals has that info WAY before it ever get to DMN, then all DMN gets is a list of kids and the schools that are recruiting them, which is useless, unless you live in Texas and can go to game to get info on the kids.

Like I said, Rivals has the info "and then some", meaning MUCH, MUCH more. Not just some list. They actually have articles on the kids that are specific to your team, in this case being Tulsa. I am a huge Rivals fan and with Tech had a site. Your Tulsa site is one of the better Rivals sites, as far as quality info and lots of it...especially on recruiting. You just simply won't get that info anywhere else.
10-04-2004 03:17 PM
Tech Dawgs Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Why won't you have to pay? You aren't getting any of it, other than a useless list of names. That's all DMN gets from Rivals. I just can't believe you guys aren't taking advantage of all the info that your Rivals site provides.
10-04-2004 03:19 PM
Catbird Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I tend to agree, Dawg. Chris Harmon and Bill Lowery do an outstanding job reporting on recruiting. I even wonder, sometimes, if they do too good a job!
10-04-2004 03:40 PM
Advertisement

Cane Gang Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Tech Dawgs = Rivals commissioned sales rep

:own3d:

I don't pay for Rivals because I don't pay for rumor and speculation about 17 and 18 year olds. I think it also hurts our recruiting, not helps it. Let's say the Rivals boys get all foamy at the mouth over a point guard that they think will commit to us, when in fact he has no intention of coming to Tulsa -- he's playing us against another school. Word spreads and another quality PG scratches us off his list because we're hot for the other recruit. We end up with neither one.

I put recruiting squarely in the same camp as passing legislation and making sausage.
10-05-2004 10:17 AM
3forTU Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Well said Cane...
10-05-2004 01:53 PM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I totally agree Chris and Bill do a great job!!! The one thing you see all the time when you have too much info is negativity and pissed off fans. Five super SG are listed as the major targets by Tulsa even though we probably could only get one-- maybe?? Then as each one signs on with another school and we get none of them, last year, and end up with a new list of targets, it makes it look like we have lowered our sites and keep lowering them until someone commits. By then you have fans who are not happy with JP and his staff and others who talk about how good we could have been if we had gotten so and so!! If Tulsa offered someone I'm sure I would be interested but I'm also sure I would get a little down as one after another turn us down. It puts the coaching staff in a bad light if they offer 10 players and get one---honestly, it hurts my feelings too because they are turning down the U of Tulsa and choosing K-State or SMS----which is hard for me to believe!! As mentioned above it's very hard to figure out 17-18 yr olds. As far as Tech Dawg goes--you couldn't have this conversation on the Rivals board. This board is not nearly as politically correct, you can say pretty much what you think. Tech Dawg, It's very unlikely, besides not being able to have this post about recruiting on the Rivals board, would your posts been allowed on the Rivals Board, about another board!! I visit the Rivals Board almost everyday and enjoy it!!
10-05-2004 03:21 PM
Advertisement

Cane Gang Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Very good points, fish. All this slobbering over high school kids is counter-productive at best... at least to me.
10-05-2004 03:30 PM
Tech Dawgs Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Cane Gang Wrote:Tech Dawgs = Rivals commissioned sales rep

:own3d:

I don't pay for Rivals because I don't pay for rumor and speculation about 17 and 18 year olds. I think it also hurts our recruiting, not helps it. Let's say the Rivals boys get all foamy at the mouth over a point guard that they think will commit to us, when in fact he has no intention of coming to Tulsa -- he's playing us against another school. Word spreads and another quality PG scratches us off his list because we're hot for the other recruit. We end up with neither one.

I put recruiting squarely in the same camp as passing legislation and making sausage.
You are WAY off base there. First, I am not a sales rep, I just promote things I enjoy. I am an Ultimate Ticket subscriber to Rivals, so I can read all the articles on all the Rivals sites. I keep up with the WAC, so I frequent the Tulsa Rivals site.

Second, the "rumor and speculation" comment is completely wrong and uninformed...which makes sense, because you stated you don't have a subscription to the Tulsa Rivals site. There is no rumor or speculation by Harmon or Lowery in any of their stories. They go completely off of what the recruits and their coaches tell them. Their stories are littered with quotes from the recruits and their coaches...so it comes straight from their mouths....no rumor or speculation.

The Tulsa Rivals guys, and all the Rivals reporters, spend tons of time talking to those kids and getting info, but the thing is, they also cover your sports teams. So, you are passing up the opportunity to get tons of team stories and the best recruiting info anywhere for a measly $6 a month.

Also, the Tulsa Rivals guys don't speculate on whether a kid is coming to Tulsa or not...if you read the stories, you would see that they are just reporting the facts.

I come from a different place...we get NO coverage of Tech in Ruston, and we don't have a Rivals site. I would gladly pay to get more info.
10-08-2004 09:28 AM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I haven't seen it reported on the other board and it's probably a good thing. The kid that visited last week from Stonebridge, Georgia, headline was "Georgia Standout to visit," picked Marshall over Tulsa. Another great example of what has been said about not being able to figure out the mind of an 18 year old and not to get excited about possible recruits!! Marshall may have a basketball team down the road but they obviously aren't in our category with our recent history, minus last year!! It also shows how far we have to go before we can walk in the door and have a good chance at a recruit because of our reputation!!!
10-15-2004 10:32 AM
Advertisement

Catbird Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Just a couple points, Jon. Yes, it has been reported on Rivals.com ... and the likely reasons for it have been discussed. His older brother was recruited by Ron Jirsa previously, so there is a "family" connection there. This young man took his time in evaluating his offers, his future, and the people doing the recruiting. Based upon all the factors, he made what he feels is the best decision for him. The deciding factor was the connection with Jirsa through his brother. How can we ***** about JP and his recruiting efforts by looking at those "who got away" only?

Let's wait and see how our recruiting class shapes up and try not to throw out the baby with the bath water by over-reacting because a kid had a pretty valid reason for choosing some school other than Tulsa
10-15-2004 10:48 AM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I wasn't knocking JP or his staff, just giving an example of what had been said earlier on this board, about not being able to figure out how 18 yr olds think and not getting overly excited about every recruit that comes down the pike!! You are right that some people will probably blame JP for this and I guess anytime you pay to bring a kid in for a visit you have some high hopes. As much as anything, what I was saying that could impact JP, I guess, is that in all reality, Tulsa's BB reputation and success means nothing, we have no better chance at a recruit than ANY OTHER, so called MID Major school in the country. It all depends on the people doing the recruiting!!!! I have very high hopes for this recruiting season and even though, officially now, a WAC release, Tulsa is suppose to come in 8th, I have higher hopes for the season too!!
10-15-2004 11:24 AM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Tulsa did recruit a top 10 North Texas basketball player--for the women's team and she is also ranked high in the state. Tulsa was in pretty good company on the women's side of it here, other top 10 players are going to Texas, Texas Tech and La Tech, all top women's programs!! Congratulations!!
10-26-2004 10:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.