Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

$20 million going to ECU athletics deficit, facilities
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
$20 million going to ECU athletics deficit, facilities
Link: ECU Athletics Getting $20m From University

Not sure how this is even legal in NC, but..........MONEY!

"East Carolina University has designated $20 million in university money to settle a deficit in its athletics budget and to make significant capital improvements to athletics facilities, officials said Wednesday.

The funds are available immediately, with one $10 million transfer intended to nullify a deficit created in part by poor attendance and fees associated with joining the American Athletic Conference in 2014. The other $10 million allocation is designated for facility improvements including a long-sought training table, which is a nutrition and dining facility that caters specifically to student-athletes.

ECU chief communications officer Tom Eppes said Wednesday the first $10 million comes from a pool of $149 million in non-state auxiliary funds to cover a deficit projected to be $4,223,699 at the end of this fiscal year. What remains of the $10 million will be available for potential future athletics debt.

The second $10 million transfer comes from an ECU Physicians accrued fund balance worth $95 million.

The revenue is generated through a variety of sources by every university department, Eppes said. Examples include student fees, money paid to rent university facilities and, in the case of ECU Physicians, money paid during patient visits to clinics."
12-06-2018 02:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DownEastPirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
RE: $20 million going to ECU athletics deficit, facilities
(12-06-2018 02:34 PM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  Link: ECU Athletics Getting $20m From University

"East Carolina University has designated $20 million in university money to settle a deficit in its athletics budget and to make significant capital improvements to athletics facilities, officials said Wednesday.

The funds are available immediately, with one $10 million transfer intended to nullify a deficit created in part by poor attendance and fees associated with joining the American Athletic Conference in 2014. The other $10 million allocation is designated for facility improvements including a long-sought training table, which is a nutrition and dining facility that caters specifically to student-athletes.

ECU chief communications officer Tom Eppes said Wednesday the first $10 million comes from a pool of $149 million in non-state auxiliary funds to cover a deficit projected to be $4,223,699 at the end of this fiscal year. What remains of the $10 million will be available for potential future athletics debt.

The second $10 million transfer comes from an ECU Physicians accrued fund balance worth $95 million.

The revenue is generated through a variety of sources by every university department, Eppes said. Examples include student fees, money paid to rent university facilities and, in the case of ECU Physicians, money paid during patient visits to clinics."

Believe part of that first $10 million will be going to an indoor practice facility also. Been a crazy 6 months and week @ ECU. We are finally making a commitment to getting competitive with the top of this league in the big three sports. Will take a few years but we're getting there.
12-06-2018 02:59 PM
mikeinoki Offline
Gone to Seed

I Root For: JDB
I think of the money as more of an investment than a bailout. If we can fix football, the money will take care of itself. Putting 40-50k butts in seats goes a very long way toward rectifying our financial problems (and I'm really not comfortable with the word rectify). Doing nothing is not an option.
12-06-2018 03:32 PM
jpirate Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: East Carolina
(12-06-2018 02:59 PM)DownEastPirate Wrote:  
(12-06-2018 02:34 PM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  Link: ECU Athletics Getting $20m From University

Believe part of that first $10 million will be going to an indoor practice facility also. Been a crazy 6 months and week @ ECU. We are finally making a commitment to getting competitive with the top of this league in the big three sports. Will take a few years but we're getting there.

people are going to Bit&^ about this but it was seriously needed. Is it fair that athletics had to be bailed out? No, but you can't fix the past mistakes by previous staff. Dave Hart has been worth the $.
12-06-2018 03:37 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(12-06-2018 03:32 PM)mikeinoki Wrote:  I think of the money as more of an investment than a bailout. If we can fix football, the money will take care of itself. Putting 40-50k butts in seats goes a very long way toward rectifying our financial problems (and I'm really not comfortable with the word rectify). Doing nothing is not an option.

Yeah I agree. Football is the lifeblood of the city in the Fall. It would be interesting to know the economic impact on local businesses (hotels, bars, restaurants, gas stations, taxis, etc) as well as university enrollment between good and bad football seasons.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2018 03:40 PM by CoastalJuan.)
12-06-2018 03:40 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
Financial shenanigans, smoke and mirrors, call it what you wish, but student tuition bills will certainly go up to pay for the “auxiliary funds transfer” to bail out the dumpster fires that are ECU football and basketball. Who knows, maybe with another $10 million, ECU can beat Tulsa in football and Tulane in basketball. But then again, maybe not.
12-06-2018 06:53 PM
Advertisement

PuddlePirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: inorganic groceries
These are non appropriated funds and do not come from tuition but from fees. It is quite legal.
12-06-2018 07:01 PM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
(12-06-2018 06:53 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  Financial shenanigans, smoke and mirrors, call it what you wish, but student tuition bills will certainly go up to pay for the “auxiliary funds transfer” to bail out the dumpster fires that are ECU football and basketball. Who knows, maybe with another $10 million, ECU can beat Tulsa in football and Tulane in basketball. But then again, maybe not.

No they won’t. Students did go up but no connection to the $20M
12-06-2018 07:39 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

(12-06-2018 07:39 PM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  
(12-06-2018 06:53 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  Financial shenanigans, smoke and mirrors, call it what you wish, but student tuition bills will certainly go up to pay for the “auxiliary funds transfer” to bail out the dumpster fires that are ECU football and basketball. Who knows, maybe with another $10 million, ECU can beat Tulsa in football and Tulane in basketball. But then again, maybe not.

No they won’t. Students did go up but no connection to the $20M

Ignore him, CLC. Just ignore him.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2018 08:44 PM by Ned Low.)
12-06-2018 08:44 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest

Without ECU football?...There would not be a Medical School that could generate that income. We are in a completely different paradigm than UC. ECU football is the economic machine here in a rural area. It excites a wide fanbase in Eastern NC that supports ECU in dozens of way economically. At UC there are dozens of machines that have zero to do with the University that do that. I fully understand that you could not understand our situation. Thankfully..Leadership here understands the importance of Pirate Football. Dont worry about us...We will be fine.
12-06-2018 11:06 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(12-06-2018 07:01 PM)PuddlePirate Wrote:  These are non appropriated funds and do not come from tuition but from fees. It is quite legal.

...and from what I understand?...The majority of students are perfectly fine with the increases if it brings back Pirate Football to the forefront. Even they understand how important it is to Eastern North Carolina. ECU is NOT like ANY of our conference mates. Loyalty and regional pride are what we are about. Not a single school in our conference has a large footprint of fans surrounding their school. Honestly...We are somewhat similar to what you see in SEC programs in that regard. That is why we (until we destroyed the program) had such great crowds at each game. If MH is successful?.. You ain't seen nothing yet.
12-06-2018 11:15 PM
Advertisement

M1T4 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Kick ECU out. The time has come
12-07-2018 06:42 AM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
(12-07-2018 06:42 AM)M1T4 Wrote:  Kick ECU out. The time has come

Why? Because we are investing $20 M into athletics? We are building an IPF, upgrading basketball arena, and have our new football expansion
12-07-2018 06:56 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

Larry Porter says 'hi'.
12-07-2018 07:29 AM
Lethemeul Offline
Fancy Pants

I Root For: Pirates!

NCAAbbs LUGDonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs

Indeed. Got to get rid of us now that we've come to our senses, are putting some focus on athletics, and will be whomping up on Memphis again soon. 03-nerner
12-07-2018 08:22 AM
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(12-07-2018 06:56 AM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  

Why? Because we are investing $20 M into athletics? We are building an IPF, upgrading basketball arena, and have our new football expansion

It’s time to put y’all down
12-07-2018 09:22 AM
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
In 30 days, this will be a non-event to everyone but the ECU athletics department.
12-07-2018 09:28 AM
Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
great news...would like to see EZU back at the top of the standings.
12-07-2018 09:32 AM
pcm0103 Offline
1st String

(12-07-2018 09:22 AM)M1T4 Wrote:  

Lot of saltiness is this thread. Usually conference mates are glad when another school are making strides to improve themselves. But hey thats cool. Its only going to get worse when we are back.
12-07-2018 09:53 AM
Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(12-07-2018 09:53 AM)pcm0103 Wrote:  
(12-07-2018 09:22 AM)M1T4 Wrote:  

Lot of saltiness is this thread. Usually conference mates are glad when another school are making strides to improve themselves. But hey thats cool. Its only going to get worse when we are back.

its the usual trolls who remember what it was like when EZU was good and Memphis was 2-10 averaging 4K fans a game. Don't pay attention. Everyone should be happy and hoping EZU can get back to 50K+ per game. Its good for everyone. 07-coffee3
12-07-2018 09:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.