Steve Alford

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
03-13-2019 03:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: Search for New MBB Coach
There better be a coach already lined up! If we’re STARTING a nationwide search ...

03-banghead
03-13-2019 03:36 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

I'm hesitant to even talk about this yet, as it feels like Tony deserves a grace period and mourning, but none of us can change the move.

It may be pie in the sky, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Texas let go of Shaka. He's got money in the bank and may not want to jump back into the big money fire. There may be Texas connections already there.

My concern is reservations by some coaches in the pool to follow Tony.....
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019 03:53 PM by Tribeheart.)
03-13-2019 03:50 PM
Rocco Offline
All American

I Root For: William and Mar
Rick Pitino?
03-13-2019 03:55 PM
TribePride52 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
(03-13-2019 03:55 PM)Rocco Wrote:  Rick Pitino?

LOL
03-13-2019 03:56 PM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
Rick Pitino.
03-13-2019 03:59 PM
TribePride52 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
Hiring Pitino creates quadruple the controversy of firing Shaver. Huge wont do it
03-13-2019 04:02 PM
Biggjohn43 Offline
Special Teams

(03-13-2019 03:50 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  I'm hesitant to even talk about this yet, as it feels like Tony deserves a grace period and mourning, but none of us can change the move.

It may be pie in the sky, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Texas let go of Shaka. He's got money in the bank and may not want to jump back into the big money fire. There may be Texas connections already there.

My concern is reservations by some coaches in the pool to follow Tony.....

my reservations are the young coaches that have stuck by Tony for years. What is going to happen to them. I know Jonathan stayed here because his wife liked the area!!! I am sure he had many offers to leave, as well as Tony
03-13-2019 04:04 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

Interesting timing that Texas A&M's coach Billy Kennedy was "not retained" last night after 9 seasons. He was just SEC coach of the year in 2016 while Huge was still there.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019 04:12 PM by Tribeheart.)
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

Maybe we should delete this thread.
Advertisement

wmmii Offline
1st String

Coach Holmes had many offers to leave in the past and remained loyal to Tony. It will be interesting to see what he does. If he leaves (do not see much chance in staying) then it will have an impact on what players might stay.
03-13-2019 04:05 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
You want to win? You want to go to the Dance? You want to keep your players? You want to get a PG transfer? You want to boost attendance?

We've already shown that we don't care about character in not retaining Tony. With that "hangup" out of the way-

Rick Pitino.

He'd come here in a flash. We wouldn't have to pay him.

Then, when he leaves and the AD leaves, we'll have gone to the Dance and all will be right with the world.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019 04:07 PM by nj alum.)
03-13-2019 04:06 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

Clearly Huge has a plan to make this move. If we had not gone DANCING in 2020 then this move was needed, today it is a HUGE risk. The short term success of this decision rests with Knight as he look at his options. The new Coach will need to start winning quickly to increase ticket sales to pay his salary!
03-13-2019 04:26 PM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

Mike Young maybe?
03-13-2019 04:40 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

(03-13-2019 04:37 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  Totally have no evidence, but I'd guess Huge would plan for a splashy hire. Some of the names thrown around on the internet are Radford coach Mike Scott, Wofford coach Mike Young, and umbc coach Ryan Odum. Any of those 3 would be a home run hire. Each has been a great recruiter and I wouldn't envision losing much of what we have.

Any of these 3 would shift the discussion quickly on this board, does Huge have the financial resources to hire them is the real issue even if they are interested?
03-13-2019 04:55 PM
Advertisement

billymac Offline
Heisman

This post probably should have been put in this thread (sorry for the duplication).

(03-13-2019 04:48 PM)Tribe2011 Wrote:  
(03-13-2019 04:37 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  Totally have no evidence, but I'd guess Huge would plan for a splashy hire. Some of the names thrown around on the internet are Radford coach Mike Scott, Wofford coach Mike Young, and umbc coach Ryan Odum. Any of those 3 would be a home run hire. Each has been a great recruiter and I wouldn't envision losing much of what we have.

While he'd be a great get, I don't see why Mike Young would come here. He can win just as easily at Wofford as WM and we are not an upgrade.

I'm pretty sure Mr. J meant Mike Davis (at Radford), but I do agree he would be a solid pick.

If Jon isn't interested in interviewing, my top pick would be Jamion Christian.
Jamion is a terrific human being, a great coach and has experience in what is required at W&M.
03-13-2019 05:01 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

(03-13-2019 05:01 PM)billymac Wrote:  This post probably should have been put in this thread (sorry for the duplication).

(03-13-2019 04:48 PM)Tribe2011 Wrote:  

While he'd be a great get, I don't see why Mike Young would come here. He can win just as easily at Wofford as WM and we are not an upgrade.

I'm pretty sure Mr. J meant Mike Davis (at Radford), but I do agree he would be a solid pick.

If Jon isn't interested in interviewing, my top pick would be Jamion Christian.
Jamion is a terrific human being, a great coach and has experience in what is required at W&M.

While I agree that Holmes would be a good choice think that only works if Shaver had retired, IMO there is zero chance that we hire a current assistant as it does not fit by the way Shaver was let go.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019 05:09 PM by wmmii.)
03-13-2019 05:07 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

Likewise, Billymac, I transfer my comments:

It would be quite a surprise to see Jamion leave Siena after one year, and he may have consternation about following Tony in this manner. The major draw would be coming back home to New Kent. Agree that Jamion is a quality fit, but don't think he has enough of a resume to think Huge would see him as the one.

I can't imagine Odom would toss his name in, considering his background with Tony.

Mike Young has been at Wofford in some fashion for 30 years and his wife is a Wofford alum and from SC. With the success he has had and his yet to move up previously, I don't see him leaving or any dotted lines to us.

Mike Davis is a good coach, but has a far easier job at Radford and would seem like he is waiting for a HM opportunity before any move to a difficult MM situation.

Again, I think the timing of Texas A&M's Billy Kennedy being let go and Tony not being "retained" is suspect, and maybe a connection/option level for Huge that she thought would not be there after next year.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019 05:46 PM by Tribeheart.)
03-13-2019 05:34 PM
Tribal Offline

(03-13-2019 04:04 PM)tribeinexile Wrote:  Maybe we should delete this thread.
I very very very rarely do that. My personal opinion is that it's a fair topic but too soon. Still, my belief that we own equal shares in this forum and enjoy the right to post Tribe related topics far outweighs my desire to make this thread go away.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
03-13-2019 06:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.