ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2021 Spring: Should be the make or break time for both BW and JJ
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
I think our athletics esp FB and BB are trending downwards and while we won a BB championship this year we all knew this team lacked in many areas and made up for most of that with grit and fight but that didn't help in the tourney and Football other than that one VT win and a couple of decent wins spread across seasons wasn't what we hoped it could turn into. What do you guys think should be the deadline for these coaches to prove they can lead us to the promised land?

P.S. Keep the discussion civil. Thanks
03-22-2019 09:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LetsGoODU Offline
1st String

RE: 2021 Spring: Should be the make or break time for both BW and JJ
Football isn’t going anywhere IMO. Going to be really awkward when the new stadium excitement wears off in a couple years and we still are terrible.

BB I don’t agree with you. This was the best overall team we’ve had under JJ and we proved it with a solid season. I’m not a believer that he’s going to take us any higher than we are now, but I could see similar success in the coming years but nothing much more.
03-22-2019 10:19 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

Jones isn't going anywhere so might as well acceptthat, but we need to take the next step and get to the next level. Happy he broke through, but the sense was everyone was just happy to be there. That wasn't the attitude 10 years ago... we expected to win and were capable of beating anyone. Hope we get there. And this was not the best team Jones has had. The NIT Final 4 team was better and last years team might have been better. The rest of the conference was just better. We got crushed as did Syracuse and VCU. USM got crushed by Longwood. UAB lost to Brown. We have a lot of work to do. Honestly, the NET ratings are looking solid.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2019 10:33 PM by EverRespect.)
03-22-2019 10:26 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(03-22-2019 10:26 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  Jones isn't going anywhere so might as well acceptthat, but we need to take the next step and get to the next level. Happy he broke through, but the sense was everyone was just happy to be there. That wasn't the attitude 10 years ago... we expected to win and were capable of beating anyone. Hope we get there. And this was not the best team Jones has had. The NIT Final 4 team was better and last years team might have been better. The rest of the conference was just better. We got crushed as did Syracuse and VCU. USM got crushed by Longwood. UAB lost to Brown. We have a lot of work to do. Honestly, the NET ratings are looking solid.

That is what i fear the most. Accepting and moving on with mediocrity. 03-weeping
03-22-2019 11:39 PM
odu96 Offline
Water Engineer

(03-22-2019 10:19 PM)LetsGoODU Wrote:  Football isn’t going anywhere IMO. Going to be really awkward when the new stadium excitement wears off in a couple years and we still are terrible.

BB I don’t agree with you. This was the best overall team we’ve had under JJ and we proved it with a solid season. I’m not a believer that he’s going to take us any higher than we are now, but I could see similar success in the coming years but nothing much more.

I do not believe this was the best b-ball team. I love the guys, they played hard and had a will to win but the conference was pretty weak this year.

I have no beef with J.J... he runs a clean program and the players really seem to like him; however, we have been saying to give him time to get his own players. I do believe jones has to shoulder some of the blame for porter choosing to leave and to a lesser extent, he must shoulder some of the responsibility for the talented debacle that was Zoran Talley.

I do like Xavier. J.J. calls him an emerging superstar but I have to believe his role will be much more daunting with BJ and Ahmad gone. I hope he’s up for the challenge.

Kalu and Wade have promise but are very very raw. I like their energy for sure... I think the how much they improve over the next few years should be a good barometer of J.J.’s long term tenure with the program.

I am very worried about Kithcart. He is streaky and wild and really never had to lead the team this year. I did not see him creating many plays for others.

Regarding J.J.’s tenure, I remember how the UVA program stagnated under him and his defense first beliefs and that was with a lot of tailwinds running in his favor being in the ACC. I do believe the style of play would not be appealing to any top flight players. Getting highly rated recruits, at least one or two, really is what you need to raise the profile of the program and land us in a better conference.

I will continue to cheer as Loud as ever like I have for the past 32 years but am not gung-ho that we have turned a corner with the program. I really really hope I am wrong. I also hope JJ is able to find some nice transfers at point guard and a nice scoring option in the front court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2019 12:36 AM by odu96.)
03-23-2019 12:33 AM
mac Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Football? Not enough supporters with deep pockets. 6-6 record and possibly making the participation bowl will be a good year in the future.

Basketball, would like to see one young and up coming coach added to the staff, a recruiter type who can relate to 16,17,18 year olds on the recruiting trail. Or go get Tony Shaver and install some offensive sets. Sorely lacking. Need to upgrade schedule. Just copy what VCU does in preseason. Don’t be afraid to do 2-1s or even one off away games for pay with the Dukes, UNC or Indiana types. Take the cash, reinvest and improve SOS all st same time.

Jones will be coach until he decides it’s time to go.
03-23-2019 05:48 AM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(03-23-2019 12:33 AM)odu96 Wrote:  
(03-22-2019 10:19 PM)LetsGoODU Wrote:  Football isn’t going anywhere IMO. Going to be really awkward when the new stadium excitement wears off in a couple years and we still are terrible.

I do not believe this was the best b-ball team. I love the guys, they played hard and had a will to win but the conference was pretty weak this year.

I have no beef with J.J... he runs a clean program and the players really seem to like him; however, we have been saying to give him time to get his own players. I do believe jones has to shoulder some of the blame for porter choosing to leave and to a lesser extent, he must shoulder some of the responsibility for the talented debacle that was Zoran Talley.

I do like Xavier. J.J. calls him an emerging superstar but I have to believe his role will be much more daunting with BJ and Ahmad gone. I hope he’s up for the challenge.

Kalu and Wade have promise but are very very raw. I like their energy for sure... I think the how much they improve over the next few years should be a good barometer of J.J.’s long term tenure with the program.

I am very worried about Kithcart. He is streaky and wild and really never had to lead the team this year. I did not see him creating many plays for others.

Regarding J.J.’s tenure, I remember how the UVA program stagnated under him and his defense first beliefs and that was with a lot of tailwinds running in his favor being in the ACC. I do believe the style of play would not be appealing to any top flight players. Getting highly rated recruits, at least one or two, really is what you need to raise the profile of the program and land us in a better conference.

I will continue to cheer as Loud as ever like I have for the past 32 years but am not gung-ho that we have turned a corner with the program. I really really hope I am wrong. I also hope JJ is able to find some nice transfers at point guard and a nice scoring option in the front court.

Teams like Liberty are getting kids nobody wanted that can shoot lights out and win in the dance. Ja Morant fell through the cracks to Murray State. I don't think it is so much that we need higher level of recruits as much as we need to scout better and find these other kids. Loughton, Valdas, Hassell, Lee, Bazemore, and Freeman were all kids that fell through the cracks. Dahi is the only real high level recruit I recall getting that wasn't a transfer.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2019 07:44 AM by EverRespect.)
03-23-2019 07:40 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(03-23-2019 05:48 AM)mac Wrote:  Football? Not enough supporters with deep pockets. 6-6 record and possibly making the participation bowl will be a good year in the future.

Basketball, would like to see one young and up coming coach added to the staff, a recruiter type who can relate to 16,17,18 year olds on the recruiting trail. Or go get Tony Shaver and install some offensive sets. Sorely lacking. Need to upgrade schedule. Just copy what VCU does in preseason. Don’t be afraid to do 2-1s or even one off away games for pay with the Dukes, UNC or Indiana types. Take the cash, reinvest and improve SOS all st same time.

Jones will be coach until he decides it’s time to go.
Getting Tony Shaver as an assistant and that Knight kid as a grad transfer would immediately make us a favorite to repeat, IMO.

03-23-2019 07:43 AM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

Shaver is not going to come to ODU as an asst. He will be a head coach somewhere. Also, Knight is a stretch.
03-23-2019 09:12 AM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

Knight would sit on the bench for not playing good enough defense and shooting threes early in the clock while not being named Caver. We would have Carver getting more minutes than Knight.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
03-23-2019 12:42 PM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

Football-I'm willing to give Bobby Wider a couple of years to see what a new stadium does for recruiting and play on the field. But my gut instinct tells me there won't be much change.

Basketball-JJ should step down and concentrate 100% on his health. We should then give the reigns to Bryant Stith, if he wants the job. I believe we would see an immediate improvement in recruiting.
03-23-2019 02:01 PM
Advertisement

ODU2011 Offline
1st String

Football - I think 2 more losing seasons and Bobby will be out. I am hopeful the new additions to the staff should help.

Basketball - Hard to say. I am hopeful for next season. I think Jones health dictates his term at ODU. Hopeful he can get healthy so that's not the case.
03-23-2019 03:59 PM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(03-23-2019 03:59 PM)ODU2011 Wrote:  Football - I think 2 more losing seasons and Bobby will be out. I am hopeful the new additions to the staff should help.

Basketball - Hard to say. I am hopeful for next season. I think Jones health dictates his term at ODU. Hopeful he can get healthy so that's not the case.

I don't exactly know what the drop dead criteria are for BW. It may or may not be a winning season for 2019. However, it is not 2 more losing seasons. I am quite sure that 2019 is make-or-break for him.

My guess is that, as others have opined here, JJ will be here until JJ doesn't want to be here.
03-23-2019 06:11 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I agree about Jones
03-23-2019 07:49 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(03-23-2019 02:01 PM)Old Blue Wrote:  Football-I'm willing to give Bobby Wider a couple of years to see what a new stadium does for recruiting and play on the field. But my gut instinct tells me there won't be much change.

Basketball-JJ should step down and concentrate 100% on his health. We should then give the reigns to Bryant Stith, if he wants the job. I believe we would see an immediate improvement in recruiting.
Bryant is already recruiting, what would change? I want a new staff if JJ goes. Turner seems to be doing a great job at UC Irvine and is a Virginia guy. He would be near the top of my list.

03-23-2019 08:39 PM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

(03-23-2019 08:39 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(03-23-2019 02:01 PM)Old Blue Wrote:  Football-I'm willing to give Bobby Wider a couple of years to see what a new stadium does for recruiting and play on the field. But my gut instinct tells me there won't be much change.

Bryant is already recruiting, what would change? I want a new staff if JJ goes. Turner seems to be doing a great job at UC Irvine and is a Virginia guy. He would be near the top of my list.

Bryant is recruiting for kids to play JJ's style. If Bryant plays a more offensive style that would be the difference.
Taylor is one of Turners top assistants. Would he come back to ODU as an assistant? probably not.
03-24-2019 07:59 AM
Advertisement

CalODUFan Offline
All American

(03-24-2019 07:59 AM)VB Monarch Wrote:  
(03-23-2019 08:39 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

Bryant is recruiting for kids to play JJ's style. If Bryant plays a more offensive style that would be the difference.
Taylor is one of Turners top assistants. Would he come back to ODU as an assistant? probably not.

Bobby Wilder's biggest mistake was having unqualified and overmatched coordinators and assistant coaches. I think he has fixed that now and we should see results in the next year or two.
03-24-2019 01:33 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Bobby has had the promise of a new stadium for years now and it hasn't helped recruiting. Of course, we have seen physical work being done only since last summer, but that didn't help much either. I'm of the mindset we need to land a top half recruiting class this season and finish with no less than 5 wins for Bobby to stick around. Sadly, Im not confident that will happen. But, I didnt think JJ would win CUSA this year either.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019 10:05 PM by monarx.)
03-24-2019 03:04 PM
ODU True Blue Offline
All American

(03-23-2019 07:40 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(03-23-2019 12:33 AM)odu96 Wrote:  [quote='LetsGoODU' pid='16005370' dateline='1553311159']
Football isn’t going anywhere IMO. Going to be really awkward when the new stadium excitement wears off in a couple years and we still are terrible.

Teams like Liberty are getting kids nobody wanted that can shoot lights out and win in the dance. Ja Morant fell through the cracks to Murray State. I don't think it is so much that we need higher level of recruits as much as we need to scout better and find these other kids. Loughton, Valdas, Hassell, Lee, Bazemore, and Freeman were all kids that fell through the cracks. Dahi is the only real high level recruit I recall getting that wasn't a transfer.

[/q

So much wrong here.

JaMorant was a late bloomer and higher profile teams started recruiting him late. But he decided that Murray St had been showing him lots of love all along. As a credit to his personal integrity he stayed with them and signed with him. Just because you never heard of him till this year’s tournament doesn’t mean other people hadn’t heard of him years ago.

As far ODU. Loughton, Valdas, Lee did not fall through anybcracks. All three of them came to ODU thru connections people had with members of ODU’s staff. We were lucky in that regard, but they did not fall thru any cracks. Bazemore was spotted by ODU’s staff via a recommendation. Taylor’s Staff saw the raw talent and recruited him. He fell thru no cracks. Hassell was again someone BT felt could develop and recruited him in that manner. Having a staff able to see talent where others don’t is a great thing. You make it sound like luck. It wasn’t. Freeman wanted to come to ODU but here Blaine and staff effed up and failed to see the potential. Even in the crapstorm of BT’s firing Freeman still wanted to home. I consider that lucky for us. Did BT and staff miss the ball in recruiting at times? yes. But it was far from luck.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019 03:21 PM by ODU True Blue.)
03-24-2019 03:14 PM
ODU True Blue Offline
All American

(03-24-2019 03:04 PM)monarx Wrote:  Bobby has had the promise of a new stadium for years now and it hasn't helped recruiting. Of course, we have seen physical work being done only since last summer, but that didn't help much either. I'm of the mindset we need to land a top half recruiting class this season and finish with no less than 5 wins for Jeff to stick around. Sadly, Im not confident that will happen. But, I didnt think JJ would win CUSA this year either.

Typo? Did you mean BW?

Because I’m pretty sure Jeff will win far more than 5 games next season?
03-24-2019 03:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.