Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UTEP AD talks about if baseball is coming back after 35 years
Bookmark and Share
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
UTEP AD talks about if baseball is coming back after 35 years
https://kfoxtv.com/news/local/utep-athle...eball-team

One thing El Paso has is tons of baseball and men’s soccer talent. It’s a shame UTEP doesn’t offer both.

Basically he says Title IX is an issue plus there’s no room on campus for a baseball stadium (well there is no flat land available unless they use eminent domain or purchase properties on Mesa St). Hopefully baseball will be back one day.
07-10-2019 12:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: UTEP AD talks about if baseball is coming back after 35 years
That blows man.
07-10-2019 02:17 PM
freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
Outside of Title IX, could UTEP work out a deal to use the Chihuahuas stadium? It is just a few blocks away.
07-10-2019 02:23 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(07-10-2019 12:50 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  https://kfoxtv.com/news/local/utep-athle...eball-team

One thing El Paso has is tons of baseball and men’s soccer talent. It’s a shame UTEP doesn’t offer both.

Basically he says Title IX is an issue plus there’s no room on campus for a baseball stadium (well there is no flat land available unless they use eminent domain or purchase properties on Mesa St). Hopefully baseball will be back one day.

Is field-sharing with the Chihuahuas not an option? VCU has played in The Diamond, Richmond's minor-league park, sharing it first with the Richmond Braves and now the Flying Squirrels, and they've made it work (insofar as anything can work in the decrepit Diamond). Title IX would still be a hangup but at least it'd be one hurdle down.
07-10-2019 02:23 PM
Advertisement

stanman505 Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
(07-10-2019 02:23 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(07-10-2019 12:50 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  https://kfoxtv.com/news/local/utep-athle...eball-team

Is field-sharing with the Chihuahuas not an option? VCU has played in The Diamond, Richmond's minor-league park, sharing it first with the Richmond Braves and now the Flying Squirrels, and they've made it work (insofar as anything can work in the decrepit Diamond). Title IX would still be a hangup but at least it'd be one hurdle down.

Sharing with the Chihuahuas would be very difficult. The stadium is also the home to the El Paso Locomotive FC of the USL.
07-10-2019 02:29 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
don't know if baseball will come back, but good things should happen for UTEP now that the dead weight president is gone

plus the UT System has UTD on a roll, UTA probably ready to sneak into NRUF funding, UTSA moving forward after President Brazos is gone (and the good final push he put on), and UTRGV squared away for the most part so UTEP will be next on the list
07-10-2019 03:57 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Just seems like it’s a long way away from any other school.
07-11-2019 07:10 AM
Advertisement

freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
(07-11-2019 07:10 AM)EagNBran Wrote:  Just seems like it’s a long way away from any other school.

Could they play baseball in the WAC? Or would they have to play in C-USA since that is their primary affiliate and we sponsor baseball?
07-11-2019 07:16 AM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

I Root For: Southern Miss
Let's hope this doesn't happen.
07-11-2019 10:54 AM
UTArlingtonMaverick Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT Arlington
(07-10-2019 03:57 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  don't know if baseball will come back, but good things should happen for UTEP now that the dead weight president is gone

plus the UT System has UTD on a roll, UTA probably ready to sneak into NRUF funding, UTSA moving forward after President Brazos is gone (and the good final push he put on), and UTRGV squared away for the most part so UTEP will be next on the list

You are probably right. We've got our five members of the national academies. Regents were helpful in allocating significant STARS money to setup labs and whatnot. A VP is saying the requirements for NRUF were met last year and we just need to do it again for a second year, after which the state will audit to certify.
07-13-2019 03:19 PM
Advertisement

TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(07-13-2019 03:19 PM)UTArlingtonMaverick Wrote:  
(07-10-2019 03:57 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  don't know if baseball will come back, but good things should happen for UTEP now that the dead weight president is gone

You are probably right. We've got our five members of the national academies. Regents were helpful in allocating significant STARS money to setup labs and whatnot. A VP is saying the requirements for NRUF were met last year and we just need to do it again for a second year, after which the state will audit to certify.

it will be very close for UTA they were right at $45 million in restricted research in 2018 and graduated 201 PhDs (down slightly from 207 in 2017)

in 2017 they had 3 National Academy members, but one passed away (I believe that was what it was) so there were 2 in 2018, then one current faculty member was made a member (a pretty big deal and really a much bigger feather than hiring some) and they hired 2 more (which is still a big deal) so now they are at 5

the sad news is with the addition of UTD getting money the dollars awarded are almost meaningless and with UTA they will be pretty much nothing (under $5 million a year which is slightly better than nothing) and far away from the $50 to $70 million per year per university it was said was needed to elevate them to the desired levels
07-13-2019 05:05 PM
templefootballfan Online
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
Play in Sun bowl, portable seats & outfield gets to narrow
Put wall up like Fenway
07-13-2019 05:46 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
(07-13-2019 05:46 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  Play in Sun bowl, portable seats & outfield gets to narrow
Put wall up like Fenway

The problem with that is the Sun Bowl has astro turf not natural grass.

Another option would be expanding the Helen of Troy Softball Complex (the program started about 15 years ago) and have both teams share the field.

https://images.app.goo.gl/F8VCrqVQixsa9cEYA

https://images.app.goo.gl/2YriFdpqnPShTsGy5

https://images.app.goo.gl/kcFVRTdWuUg7Y4mv7

https://images.app.goo.gl/yKUus9d1JDDTMPR9A
07-14-2019 12:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.