Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Can someone explain to me why we need another basketball school?
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
All this talk about grabbing a team or three makes sense for football, because the championship game needs even divisions so it all makes sense to fans and media (and the pollsters). But right now we as teams in the AAC with 12 teams each have 11 opponents. We play some home and home, and some only once. 18 games. Why does it matter if we have only 10 opponents next year? If your argument is something about strength of conference, I get it. I don't care about that, but I get it. But if it has to do with scheduling being even, then I need that explained to me.
01-01-2020 11:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
RE: Can someone explain to me why we need another basketball school?
Trash Conn all u want, fact remains, AAC lost inventory, huge market, ESPN+ Subscriptions
ESPN looking to readjust contract, the more u replace the better
01-01-2020 12:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
I'm sorry...

Did I miss something?
01-01-2020 12:06 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(01-01-2020 12:06 PM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  I'm sorry...

Did I miss something?

I think he’s talking about posters that want us to add VCU or Dayton.
01-01-2020 12:08 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
There are 4 to 6 programs that are good adds full stop. The best part is that the academics at most of these schools are really good, too.
01-01-2020 12:10 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
Air Force football only and St Louis olympic sports would be fantastic IMHO.
01-01-2020 12:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rob3338 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: uc
(01-01-2020 12:20 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  Air Force football only and St Louis olympic sports would be fantastic IMHO.

AFA and St. Louis would be acceptable but Dayton for basketball would be much better. They average about 13,000 per home game and have good teams often. Cincy might not like it however.
01-01-2020 12:26 PM
sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(01-01-2020 11:38 AM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  All this talk about grabbing a team or three makes sense for football, because the championship game needs even divisions so it all makes sense to fans and media (and the pollsters). But right now we as teams in the AAC with 12 teams each have 11 opponents. We play some home and home, and some only once. 18 games. Why does it matter if we have only 10 opponents next year? If your argument is something about strength of conference, I get it. I don't care about that, but I get it. But if it has to do with scheduling being even, then I need that explained to me.

More opportunities for adding teams to the tourney, called "Units". If the team(s) in the conference advance more "units" are added. The "Units" a conference gets the more money the conference gets and distributes.
01-01-2020 01:15 PM
PowderKeg! Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ECU
(01-01-2020 12:26 PM)Rob3338 Wrote:  
(01-01-2020 12:20 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  Air Force football only and St Louis olympic sports would be fantastic IMHO.

AFA and St. Louis would be acceptable but Dayton for basketball would be much better. They average about 13,000 per home game and have good teams often. Cincy might not like it however.

Many on this board evaluate member targets based on personal history or recent wins-losses. But any new member(s) should be determined based on the macro benchmarks below. Anything else is just a personal love fest.

1) Does school fill in open spaces inside our conference footprint? Eg, the space between Cincy and Memphis/Texas or Cincy and Temple, the space between ECU and Florida and Louisiana/Texas.
2) Is school within driving distance from nearest current member school?
3) Can school become a rival to nearby current member school?
4) Is school a large state research university (Carnegie 1 or 2) with more than 20k students?
5) Do they play FBS football and good basketball (numerous NCAA appearances)
6) Will they commit resources for highest level of play?
7) Do they have growth potential with AAC membership?
8) Does ESPN like them? Or will they at least give them a chance?

There are several universities that check off the list.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2020 01:29 PM by PowderKeg!.)
01-01-2020 01:25 PM
PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American

I just don’t get the infatuation with St Louis. They have only made the tourney like 9 times in their history and have two sweet sixteen trips in the 50’s. Not exactly screaming great add. Dayton is an overlapping market which would make little sense as well.
01-01-2020 01:44 PM
PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
(01-01-2020 01:25 PM)PowderKeg! Wrote:  

Many on this board evaluate member targets based on personal history or recent wins-losses. But any new member(s) should be determined based on the macro benchmarks below. Anything else is just a personal love fest.

1) Does school fill in open spaces inside our conference footprint? Eg, the space between Cincy and Memphis/Texas or Cincy and Temple, the space between ECU and Florida and Louisiana/Texas.
4) Is school a large state research university (Carnegie 1 or 2) with more than 20k students?

Great post
01-01-2020 01:45 PM
Advertisement

steves Offline
All American

I Root For: DA'TIGS'
I'm in favor of UAB. I'm more in favor of BYU football only and VCU olympic sports, but that ain't happening so I say UAB. New football stadium, nice hoops arena, great fanbase, old rivalry for many in our league. Nice and easy ...07-coffee3
01-01-2020 02:02 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(01-01-2020 11:38 AM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  All this talk about grabbing a team or three makes sense for football, because the championship game needs even divisions so it all makes sense to fans and media (and the pollsters). But right now we as teams in the AAC with 12 teams each have 11 opponents. We play some home and home, and some only once. 18 games. Why does it matter if we have only 10 opponents next year? If your argument is something about strength of conference, I get it. I don't care about that, but I get it. But if it has to do with scheduling being even, then I need that explained to me.

It’s very simple. The AAC lost a strong brand name in BASKETBALL when UConn left. We lost nothing more than a boat anchor and embarrassment on the football side of the conference. Thus, the value loss was in basketball—not football. Adding a VCU replaces UConn with another upper tier basketball program, thus largely replacing the upper tier quality depth the conference lost. A desire to add a quality basketball program to replace UConn has nothing to do with an inability to schedule (just as adding Wichita had nothing to do with an inability to scheduele).

For football, the loss of the leagues worst program actually IMPROVES the league’s overall football strength. Adding a football replacement gives the AAC a chance to further improve the leagues strength and P6 perception—-but ONLY if a program of the right caliber can be added. However, if we just add the some random “warm body” football program (UAB, ODU, Gerorgia St, etc) it can actually be a big set back with respect to the progress the AAC has made with the general public.

In other words, it makes no sense to add ANYONE unless they ADD to the value and prestige of the conference. VCU would add to the value and positive public perception of the AAC. Any football program addition outside of Air Force, BYU, or Army probably would NOT add to the value and growing “P6” perception of the conference. That’s the situation in a nutshell.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2020 01:12 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-01-2020 02:04 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
We need to kick one out.
01-01-2020 02:10 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(01-01-2020 01:44 PM)PT_american Wrote:  

I just don’t get the infatuation with St Louis. They have only made the tourney like 9 times in their history and have two sweet sixteen trips in the 50’s. Not exactly screaming great add. Dayton is an overlapping market which would make little sense as well.

if we don't add a football only like AF it's a non-starter anyway...so lets add AF and then we can worry about it.
01-01-2020 02:14 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
(01-01-2020 02:10 PM)shere khan Wrote:  We need to kick one out.

Fan bases that want UAB
01-01-2020 02:22 PM
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE

.[Image: 82d148f3d286004f72eec4c65401f45a.gif]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
01-01-2020 02:42 PM
RGVCoog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UH, Iowa

research money.....
01-01-2020 02:57 PM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
VCU fits the profile of the AAC (Large Urban University), the reason to add them when it comes to value, it is NCAA Credits ($$$), under the AAC banner they will provide that value and will also fill their seats.

St. Louis and Dayton are fine institutions but they just don't fit the profile of the AAC.

... and can people please stop with UAB and CSU with their new facilities, if they can't win and sell out those facilities, what is the use of having them?

I've heard a lot of arguments against Liberty on this board, although I don't have an opinion either way, but hs anyone bothered to look at what they are doing in the top 2 revenue sports?
Football: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Liber...m#Schedule
Men's Basketball: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80...nd_results

Sports Facilities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Fl...Facilities

They have the money to commit to whatever sports they want to compete in and they are willing to invest whatever it takes as far as facilities are concerned.
01-01-2020 03:12 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss

Please list the several that check off the list
01-01-2020 03:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.