Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Let’s make Kick Off Classics a big thing again
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Let’s make Kick Off Classics a big thing again
I’d love for Kick Off Classics come back almost as a Bowl Game pre-season.

Exclusive time slots

Fun Host sites

Match ups between big names

The big networks could start Kick Off Classic season the Thursday night before Labor Day in prime time, double Header On Friday night, and games all day Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

Host cities like LA, SD, LV, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta, Charlotte, Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando, and maybe even some non-traditional ones in Northern cities (Boston and NYC make sense this time of year)

The only down side is I think we’d see a lot of ESPN conferences playing ESPN conferences and Fox conferences playing Fox conferences.
07-13-2020 12:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
RE: Let’s make Kick Off Classics a big thing again
In what way are they not big things still? I have to go to the Chick Fil A kickoff in Atlanta like every other year to see Auburn.
07-13-2020 12:56 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
Neutral site games are bad. Only acceptable exceptions is WLOCP, Red River Shootout, and Army-Navy
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2020 01:11 PM by Gamecock.)
07-13-2020 01:10 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(07-13-2020 01:10 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  Neutral site games are bad. Only acceptable exceptions is WLOCP, Red River Shootout, and Army-Navy

This is the correct take.
07-13-2020 01:15 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(07-13-2020 12:54 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I’d love for Kick Off Classics come back almost as a Bowl Game pre-season.

Host cities like LA, SD, LV, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta, Charlotte, Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando, and maybe even some non-traditional ones in Northern cities (Boston and NYC make sense this time of year)

The Kickoff Classic was played in Giants Stadium for like 20 years.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2020 01:22 PM by esayem.)
07-13-2020 01:21 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(07-13-2020 01:15 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(07-13-2020 01:10 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  Neutral site games are bad. Only acceptable exceptions is WLOCP, Red River Shootout, and Army-Navy

Neutral site games have long been part of college football's historic fabric. So no, that is not the "correct take".
07-13-2020 01:24 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline

(07-13-2020 12:56 PM)Auburn_Blazer Wrote:  In what way are they not big things still? I have to go to the Chick Fil A kickoff in Atlanta like every other year to see Auburn.

Right now there are just a few. I’m thinking more like 15-20.

I think this would be a nice trade off if we get a bigger playoff
07-13-2020 01:31 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
I'm guessing conferences that play 8 conference games would be more open to schedule these games. Big Ten teams for example have to play five road conference games every other year which if they want seven home games eliminates any possibility of a neutral site game.
07-13-2020 01:34 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline

(07-13-2020 01:34 PM)schmolik Wrote:  I'm guessing conferences that play 8 conference games would be more open to schedule these games. Big Ten teams for example have to play five road conference games every other year which if they want seven home games eliminates any possibility of a neutral site game.

I also think the schools with the giant stadiums prefer to bring big OOC opponents to their place every other year because they can pack in more paying fans than in most neutral site venues. (Penn St, Mich, Ohio St, USC, etc)
07-13-2020 01:40 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

Why?

Neutral-site games can take place in interesting places, and offer fans of both teams a unique travel opportunity, and a chance to mingle with large numbers of an opposing team's fans.

Heck, most bowl games are "neutral site" games.

07-coffee3
07-13-2020 01:45 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

(07-13-2020 01:24 PM)esayem Wrote:  
(07-13-2020 01:15 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

Neutral site games have long been part of college football's historic fabric. So no, that is not the "correct take".

There are a lot of things that have long been a part of CFB that were bad ideas. And IMO neutral site games are one of them. College football is better when it's played on campus.
07-13-2020 05:11 PM
Advertisement

Gamecock Offline
All American

(07-13-2020 01:45 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Why?

Neutral-site games can take place in interesting places, and offer fans of both teams a unique travel opportunity, and a chance to mingle with large numbers of an opposing team's fans.

07-coffee3

The short version is that the atmosphere is generally terrible. The travel aspect can be cool at times, and I'll even concede that some of the international kickoff games (like Notre Dame in Dublin) can be good ideas if done right. But having Auburn/NC in Atlanta or Alabama/Southern Cal in Dallas for essentially no reason? Those games should be on campus
07-13-2020 05:15 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Put them on PPV.

Charge 69.99 and see how many buys they get.

A good trial balloon for PPV.
07-13-2020 05:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(07-13-2020 12:54 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I’d love for Kick Off Classics come back almost as a Bowl Game pre-season.

Exclusive time slots

Fun Host sites

Match ups between big names

The big networks could start Kick Off Classic season the Thursday night before Labor Day in prime time, double Header On Friday night, and games all day Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

The only down side is I think we’d see a lot of ESPN conferences playing ESPN conferences and Fox conferences playing Fox conferences.

Some of these neutral site games, such as the ones in Atlanta and Houston, are already run by the local bowl organizers. These games function as a sort of in-season bowl game.

Unlike the Kickoff Classics of the past, these games count toward the limit of scheduled games. Alabama does not get to schedule an extra game because they scheduled USC at Jerry World.
07-13-2020 05:50 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(07-13-2020 05:15 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  

Why?

07-coffee3

The short version is that the atmosphere is generally terrible. The travel aspect can be cool at times, and I'll even concede that some of the international kickoff games (like Notre Dame in Dublin) can be good ideas if done right. But having Auburn/NC in Atlanta or Alabama/Southern Cal in Dallas for essentially no reason? Those games should be on campus

My experience regarding the atmosphere has been different. You're playing in front of fans and alumni that aren't able to make it as often to home games, so there's still a fun and exciting atmosphere.

BYU in Phoenix, Florida State in Jacksonville, LSU in Houston, West Virginia in Maryland, Missouri in Kansas City, B12 games in Arlington and Houston, B1G games in Chicago, SEC games in Atlanta, and Notre Dame's Shamrock Series with games in Texas, Chicago, Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, etc.

And then, there are plenty of games that make tons of sense (and money) by playing in a truly neutral-site atmosphere, like Florida-Georgia in Jacksonville, Texas-Oklahoma in Dallas, Texas A&M-Arkansas in Arlington, South Carolina-UNC in Charlotte, Florida-Miami in Orlando, Colorado-CSU in Denver, etc.
07-13-2020 05:58 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St

Why?

07-coffee3

This has been my experience in virtually every neutral site game I’ve attended (not RRS, WLOCP, or Army-Navy obviously). The NFL stadium environment is often dull and sterile. Fall college football is always more electrifying on campus.
07-13-2020 06:12 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

Why?

07-coffee3

Exactly-that's what bowls are for. Big regular season games should be H/H except for the Big 3.
07-13-2020 06:15 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(07-13-2020 06:15 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Why?

07-coffee3

Exactly-that's what bowls are for. Big regular season games should be H/H except for the Big 3.

I like the neutral-site games, it creates kind of a spectacle effect, and obviously the schools like them or they wouldn't schedule them.

And you can even argue they are more fair in a national sense. It takes some guts for OOC heavyweights to schedule each other, and so it's good that neither has HFA, as that can skew the result.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2020 06:29 PM by quo vadis.)
07-13-2020 06:22 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Get the organizers to make it worth the while of the teams financially and it'll happen. I've been told more than once that Clemson would make more money against a FCS team at home than they'll make at any neutral site game.
07-13-2020 07:24 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

(07-13-2020 06:12 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

Why?

07-coffee3

This has been my experience in virtually every neutral site game I’ve attended (not RRS, WLOCP, or Army-Navy obviously). The NFL stadium environment is often dull and sterile. Fall college football is always more electrifying on campus.

I agree with you. Sterile is the word I often use too. I’ve been to every SC game in Charlotte and almost every bowl game we’ve ever been in and they’re almost all huge letdowns in terms of atmosphere even though they’re often between two great fanbases. I’ve talked to other random Clemson, UGA, Alabama, etc fans and more often than not I hear similar things from them about their games.
07-13-2020 09:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.