Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

College basketball referees, officials stuck in limbo as they await call on 2020-21
Bookmark and Share
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
MyBB College basketball referees, officials stuck in limbo as they await call on 2020-21
08-05-2020 08:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
RE: College basketball referees, officials stuck in limbo as they await call on 2020-21
Does Mike Brey know something the rest of us don't?

Some of Brey’s highlights from Tuesday:

“I think college basketball, and mark my words, we’re going to come back all the way around and be the savior of college athletics”
“It may not be til February and it might be ‘May Madness’ instead of March Madness. Everything is on the table but I think we’re going to play”
Brey also re-affirmed, “It could be later, but we’re going to play”.
08-05-2020 08:55 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: College basketball referees, officials stuck in limbo as they await call on 2020-21
They arent going to miss the March Madness money 2 years in a row.

They cant afford that
08-05-2020 09:21 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

College basketball referees, officials stuck in limbo as they await call on 2020-21
(08-05-2020 08:55 PM)70shawk Wrote:  Does Mike Brey know something the rest of us don't?

Some of Brey’s highlights from Tuesday:

“I think college basketball, and mark my words, we’re going to come back all the way around and be the savior of college athletics”
“It may not be til February and it might be ‘May Madness’ instead of March Madness. Everything is on the table but I think we’re going to play”
Brey also re-affirmed, “It could be later, but we’re going to play”.

It sounds to me like he's putting a lot of stock in one of those promising vaccines being ready to roll end of year.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2020 03:59 PM by Seahawkhoops.)
08-07-2020 08:38 AM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

The vaccines will improve things without a doubt. Hopefully we get one ready to go and get 70-80 percent of the morons to get it. This is ridiculous. I'm a scientist and can't believe that people will not wear masks indoors. Dumb! If you want freedom, wear a mask period. At my church, we have people that won't! It's tough so a vaccine is the only way with the idiots out there that think that this is a political statement...it's not.
08-07-2020 10:21 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-07-2020 10:21 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  The vaccines will improve things without a doubt. Hopefully we get one ready to go and get 70-80 percent of the morons to get it. This is ridiculous. I'm a scientist and can't believe that people will not wear masks indoors. Dumb! If you want freedom, wear a mask period. At my church, we have people that won't! It's tough so a vaccine is the only way with the idiots out there that think that this is a political statement...it's not.

Bill it’s 1000% being politicized that’s not really debatable. Having to wear a mask everywhere isn’t freedom, it’s compliance.(I do btw even though I despise them and can barely breath)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-08-2020 04:01 PM
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
(08-07-2020 10:21 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  The vaccines will improve things without a doubt. Hopefully we get one ready to go and get 70-80 percent of the morons to get it. This is ridiculous. I'm a scientist and can't believe that people will not wear masks indoors. Dumb! If you want freedom, wear a mask period. At my church, we have people that won't! It's tough so a vaccine is the only way with the idiots out there that think that this is a political statement...it's not.

If we want freedom, we don't have to do a single thing because we're Americans and were born free. Take a peek at the Constitution Mr. Scientist....
08-08-2020 06:18 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America

Are you in epidemiologist?

I work in gov’t and military information collection. How many things could you assume with that statement without knowing anything specific? Should I just throw that statement out there as a blanket coverall, all-knowing? C’mon man. We’re not dumb. We’re going to respectfully call each other out when necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
08-08-2020 08:31 PM
All American

Our country is the worst period and the attitude of not wearing a mask indoors is why. If 95 percent did, we would get better quickly. I don’t like it either but I want to be part of the solution.

The reality is that there are way more cases than 5 million too. Basic math tells you this. If we have 162,000 deaths and divide it by say .015. (Disease death rate)it makes the real number
about 10.8 million. This all would diminish if we all were considerate. Sorry that some of you are offended by science and common decency.

And, I don’t feel I should be attacked for just being truthful. My intent was not to offend my fellow UNCW fans.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2020 09:09 PM by billthebighawksfan.)
08-08-2020 09:02 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(08-08-2020 09:02 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  Our country is the worst period and the attitude of not wearing a mask indoors is why. If 95 percent did, we would get better quickly. I don’t like it either but I want to be part of the solution.

The reality is that there are way more cases than 5 million too. Basic math tells you this. If we have 162,000 deaths and divide it by say .015. (Disease death rate)it makes the real number
about 10.8 million. This all would diminish if we all were considerate. Sorry that some of you are offended by science and common decency.

And, I don’t feel I should be attacked for just being truthful. My intent was not to offend my fellow UNCW fans.

You’re not being attacked. Relax.

So I’m going to take all that as, “No, I’m not an epidemiologist and I don’t have the right to just say I’m a scientist and people should listen to me.”

Here’s the thing man. By your own theory here, that more than 10 million people are walking around with COVID and only 162,000 deaths. We can then reasonably assume that the 5.8 million that you’re adding to the number are JUST FINE. Especially since COVID deaths in the US are declining. But tell us more about why we need a vaccine.

I’m not offended at all by science. I’m offended by people who think they have some sort of right of expertise on a subject that they don’t. That’s the offensive part.

If you knew anything about science and viruses, you’d know you don’t quarantine and lock up healthy people. You locate and quarantine the sick people.

There was once an organization that locked up people with deformities, mental retardatation, etc in an attempt to keep it from spreading to the rest of their “healthy” population. That’s called compliance sir, not science.

I would actually love to hear what sort of science you do, just out of curiosity. For real, I’m curious, not being sarcastic or ill-spirited. I’m sure you’re good at what you do. I’m sure all of us are.

(This post was last modified: 08-08-2020 09:45 PM by B_Hawk06.)
08-08-2020 09:44 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-08-2020 06:18 PM)82hawk Wrote:  

If we want freedom, we don't have to do a single thing because we're Americans and were born free. Take a peek at the Constitution Mr. Scientist....

Americans wore masks and social distanced during the Spanish Flu. Your perspective is a selfish one and not something Anerica should embrace. It goes against American principles to not want to care about your fellow citizens.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2020 01:11 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
08-09-2020 01:11 AM
Advertisement

Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-09-2020 01:11 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  

Americans wore masks and social distanced during the Spanish Flu. Your perspective is a selfish one and not something Anerica should embrace. It goes against American principles to not want to care about your fellow citizens.

So comparing something that happened 100 years ago without modern medicine or care to today...... got it

08-09-2020 06:31 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
(08-08-2020 09:02 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  Our country is the worst period and the attitude of not wearing a mask indoors is why. If 95 percent did, we would get better quickly. I don’t like it either but I want to be part of the solution.

Your statement that "we are the worst, period" isn't even factual, it's emotional. Here are the facts about how "bad" we are:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsod...case-count

When you call people "morons" and "dumb", YOU are the one doing the attacking and being indecent.

1. Posiitive cases are one step closer to the only real solution...herd immunity. So, the more positive cases, the better. Each positive case represents a dead end for a virus.

2. Viruses have been around since the beginning of time and will be here forever. They are a part of our existence, like water and air whether we like it or not. The arrogance that we have somehow discovered the magic of "masks" to stop a virus is utter foolishness.

3. Speaking of scientists, my wife has a Chemistry degree AND she worked for a company that manufactured the N95 cloth masks for 25 years. She managed the Quality Control lab that tested those masks and THEY DON'T WORK. She was an actual scientist with a lab coat, goggles, etc., it was her job. She personally refuses to wear a mask because, of all people on earth, she knows for a FACT they don't work. The masks are so unreliable and were such a liabilty, that her company stopped making them due to lost lawsuits. So spare me the "i'm a scientist" routine. Unless you have actually TESTED these masks for a living, your level of knowledge about these masks is inferior and useless. If you aren't wearing a fully sealed, full face mask with an oxygen tank you aren't doing anything. And those were the actual masks created by scientists to stop infiltration, not the ones made of toilet paper thin cloth that are being worn by virtuous Americans pretending they are "part of the solution"...

And quit playing butt hurt all the time when you attack others and they respond in kind. It's childish.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2020 07:58 AM by 82hawk.)
08-09-2020 07:07 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

Okay. Now that everyone has said a little bit of their peace... let’s either get back on topic or I need to lock this thread.

I’m not being virtuous here. I know somewhere deep down we all still like each other thanks to a common Seahawk bond. So let’s get back to that on topic.

There’s an off topic room in this board, and as long as people aren’t talking politics specifically and chill with the personal attacks, I think this conversation could move there if needed.

08-09-2020 09:21 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-09-2020 06:31 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(08-09-2020 01:11 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  

So comparing something that happened 100 years ago without modern medicine or care to today...... got it

Wasn’t talking about the science. Was talking about the attitude. The Constitution does indeed allow us to be selfish if we choose to. That doesn’t make it the RIGHT thing to do.
08-09-2020 11:14 AM
tke75hawk Offline
1st String

I Root For: uncw
Vaccines is not the cure all the flue vaccine in 2018 was only 20 % effective on 65 and older and 38% effective on everyone else. I just hope to get to watch uncw sports this year.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
08-09-2020 12:05 PM
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

(08-09-2020 12:05 PM)tke75hawk Wrote:  Vaccines is not the cure all the flue vaccine in 2018 was only 20 % effective on 65 and older and 38% effective on everyone else. I just hope to get to watch uncw sports this year.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I hope so too, but I am not optimistic at this point that the deciding entities will okay it.

08-09-2020 01:05 PM
All American

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/m...story.html

Sports may only be determined thus year by the players according to this article.

CG, l’m a Chemist that works on several different research fronts. One of those efforts pertains to aerosols. I also work with toxicologists as part of a collaborative team effort.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2020 01:39 PM by billthebighawksfan.)
08-09-2020 01:11 PM
All American

I've attached an interesting article. Yes, N95 are much better as this article points out, but hard to get. N95>surgical>no mask is how it goes, but surgical does help to some degree. Enjoy if you have a minute.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7293495/
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2020 01:38 PM by billthebighawksfan.)
08-09-2020 01:36 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(08-09-2020 01:11 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/m...story.html

CG, l’m a Chemist that works on several different research fronts. One of those efforts pertains to aerosols. I also work with toxicologist as part of a collaborative team effort.

Very cool. My wife is an ICU nurse. For a while, she was quite busy with COVID patients. It’s really quoted down though, according to her. Also, we are in Arizona, which according to the media over the last month and a half has been a “hot spot”, and the media treated Arizona like we’re the Democratic Republic of the Congo with an Ebola outbreak.

Don’t get me wrong, she was working 4-5 shifts a week (she normally works 2-3) with all of her patients (2-4 per shift; optimal patients per nurse in the ICU is 1-2) being COVID. Now she’s back to normal shifts and maybe gets 1 COVID patient per week.

My angst with this thing and how it relates to getting back to normal life is that when it all started the urge was to take precautions so we “flatten the curve”. Well, that “curve” was never defined, which allowed for the exploitation of social fear. Thus, the “end state” goal posts were moved to “we can’t get back to normal life until there’s a vaccine.” That’s why you have people that are over this whole thing.

That’s why I want sports to be normal, news to be normal, NCAA to be normal, kids and college students to go back to school, and UNCW sports to resume. My work has resumed. We are training soldiers, sailors, and airmen. We are doing so in a close environment with one on one instruction. Nobody has contracted the virus. We have students traveling to us from all over the world and Hnited States, just as before.

I don’t believe we need a vaccine for that. Not only that, but I don’t trust a vaccine that is rushed due to social paranoia of some. No thanks. I’m not anti vaccine either. I’m anti “rushed vaccine” for something that I truly believe does not require it.

Put the Seahawks in the classrooms, on the fields, and on the courts. I’m tired of the shenanigans.

08-09-2020 01:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.