Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TU B-ball
TUGoat Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

When are people going to figure out that Phillips is bringing this program down? No way a good Ad lets TU lose to geogia state and Oral without giving a public notice to the coach. I think Phillips is the problem but Judy did hire him. I thinks he needs to go but that Judy may need to follow quickly. Especially if womens basketball continues to be so bad.
12-11-2003 02:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TUPikeAlum Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

TUGoat Wrote:When are people going to figure out that Phillips is bringing this program down? No way a good Ad lets TU lose to geogia state and Oral without giving a public notice to the coach. I think Phillips is the problem but Judy did hire him. I thinks he needs to go but that Judy may need to follow quickly. Especially if womens basketball continues to be so bad.
Besides the damage to recruiting and attendance, what effect would a "public notice" have?
12-11-2003 02:56 PM
TUDIEHARD Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

TUGoat Wrote:When are people going to figure out that Phillips is bringing this program down? No way a good Ad lets TU lose to geogia state and Oral without giving a public notice to the coach. I think Phillips is the problem but Judy did hire him. I thinks he needs to go but that Judy may need to follow quickly. Especially if womens basketball continues to be so bad.
who the hell are you? this is like B&G or tulsafan or sportsjunkied isn't it...........Fire Judy.....She hired Coach K and Self....Not sure beyond that.......Many think Buzz was great(I don't) and she hired him.....She fired rader.....She is a great AD.....JP is not coaching well and the players aren't playing well but we are young and still need to get some chemistry.....Firing JP now would be a mistake....Firing JP if he continues this at the end of NEXT season would be the right time.....
12-11-2003 02:59 PM
TUGoat Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I just think it would let everyone know he has gotten in trouble for slacking and that the administration won't tolerate losing. That message has to be sent.
12-11-2003 03:00 PM
3forTU Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I think it would be early for that. But I would think that if things dont turn around soon that there will be a lot of pressure but on them to do something.
12-11-2003 03:00 PM
TUPikeAlum Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

TUGoat Wrote:I just think it would let everyone know he has gotten in trouble for slacking and that the administration won't tolerate losing. That message has to be sent.
Slacking??? You think they aren't trying hard or something?
12-11-2003 03:09 PM
Advertisement

TUGoat Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

It is obvious the coach isn't trying so why do you think the players are?
12-11-2003 03:19 PM
TUDIEHARD Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

TUGoat Wrote:It is obvious the coach isn't trying so why do you think the players are?
you're hilarious......who the **** is this.........are you like 12?
12-11-2003 03:30 PM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Diehard you got the timing, at the end of next season and that's a real "BIG IF", if he doesn't win 20 games this year or next. You just can't fire a coach that wins 20 games. We have two tough road games to start league play, if we get hammered in both of those, I expected the fire JP stuff to start but this is way to early to even come close to judging this season!!!! I believe two years ago Temple was 2-8 or 9 at one point and that wasn't all against top flight competition. They won the A-10 and made it to the sweet 16. It has been a few years ago, the Manning years at Kansas, when they lost 12-13 games and either won the National Championship or got to the finals. I'm sure all the Kansas fans wanted to fire that coach with all that talent about half way through the year-------probably glad they didn't!!!!
12-11-2003 03:34 PM
TUDIEHARD Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

jfisher Wrote:Diehard you got the timing, at the end of next season and that's a real "BIG IF", if he doesn't win 20 games this year or next. You just can't fire a coach that wins 20 games. We have two tough road games to start league play, if we get hammered in both of those, I expected the fire JP stuff to start but this is way to early to even come close to judging this season!!!! I believe two years ago Temple was 2-8 or 9 at one point and that wasn't all against top flight competition. They won the A-10 and made it to the sweet 16. It has been a few years ago, the Manning years at Kansas, when they lost 12-13 games and either won the National Championship or got to the finals. I'm sure all the Kansas fans wanted to fire that coach with all that talent about half way through the year-------probably glad they didn't!!!!
is that the coach that doesn't give a ****** about UNC?
12-11-2003 03:40 PM
Cane Gang Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

All this frantic overreacting about the basketball team is getting ridiculous.

We're 2-3. I mean, how can you judge the season after 5 games??? Especially with all the unproven sophomores and freshmen that are having to play major roles.

We're less than a month into a rebuilding year, and these yahoos are calling for Phillips' head. You people need to relax. Loosen up your O-ring, dude... you might be able to go to the :john: again...
12-11-2003 05:27 PM
Advertisement

TUPikeAlum Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

TUDIEHARD Wrote:
jfisher Wrote:Diehard you got the timing, at the end of next season and that's a real "BIG IF", if he doesn't win 20 games this year or next. You just can't fire a coach that wins 20 games. We have two tough road games to start league play, if we get hammered in both of those, I expected the fire JP stuff to start but this is way to early to even come close to judging this season!!!! I believe two years ago Temple was 2-8 or 9 at one point and that wasn't all against top flight competition. They won the A-10 and made it to the sweet 16. It has been a few years ago, the Manning years at Kansas, when they lost 12-13 games and either won the National Championship or got to the finals. I'm sure all the Kansas fans wanted to fire that coach with all that talent about half way through the year-------probably glad they didn't!!!!
is that the coach that doesn't give a ****** about UNC?
No, it was Larry Brown. He can't coach, right?
12-11-2003 05:33 PM
Blue&GoldGlasses Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

TUDIEHARD - there is only one of me - I don't post under any different name.

If your issue with me is about me disliking Judy and thinking she has done a subpar job, tehn you have issues w/ a lot more people.

Like someone else put it on one of hte other boards - if she was so great, why hasn't anyone hired her away?

Well, because like you, she sucks.
12-11-2003 06:59 PM
TUDIEHARD Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

WHAT?! I wasn't talking to you........I was talking to Goat.........You're crazy.......many think women shouldn't be AD's so she hasn't been snatched up........and oh yea football hasn't been doing too great recently until now.......
12-11-2003 09:51 PM
Blue&GoldGlasses Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

TUDIEHARD Wrote:
who the hell are you? this is like B&G or tulsafan or sportsjunkied isn't it...........Fire Judy.....She hired Coach K and Self....Not sure beyond that.......Many think Buzz was great(I don't) and she hired him.....She fired rader.....She is a great AD.....JP is not coaching well and the players aren't playing well but we are young and still need to get some chemistry.....Firing JP now would be a mistake....Firing JP if he continues this at the end of NEXT season would be the right time.....
:stupid:

I'm crazy, but you can't remember what you've posted.

The same point was countered on one of the other boards - it would be rather prestigious for a big conference to have a school with the first woman AD - like hiring a black football coach, etc...

Judy is about 7 years late (at least) on the TU football resurection. In the time she could have been firing Rader, she could have been busting hump to improve the situation he had. To put it figuratively, she has no balls and has proven it - she won't take a chance, she won't make a stand against the administration for the sake of the athletic department.

Hopefully Lawlis will take Judy with him - or the new Pres will replace her ASAP.
12-12-2003 12:39 PM
TUGoat Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Blue&GoldGlasses Wrote:TUDIEHARD - there is only one of me - I don't post under any different name.

If your issue with me is about me disliking Judy and thinking she has done a subpar job, tehn you have issues w/ a lot more people.

Like someone else put it on one of hte other boards - if she was so great, why hasn't anyone hired her away?

Looks like I found the board a$*hole in B&G.

Judy has done allot of really great things but Burns and Skelly really shine bright.
Burns/Skelly vs Self, Reynolds, Soccer, track, student center, tennis

OK, I'll back off Judy but Phillips needs to kick these guys in the but.
12-12-2003 02:57 PM
Advertisement

TUDIEHARD Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

TUGoat Wrote:
Blue&GoldGlasses Wrote:TUDIEHARD - there is only one of me - I don't post under any different name.

Looks like I found the board a$*hole in B&G.

Judy has done allot of really great things but Burns and Skelly really shine bright.
Burns/Skelly vs Self, Reynolds, Soccer, track, student center, tennis

OK, I'll back off Judy but Phillips needs to kick these guys in the but.
Burns/Skelly vs. Coach K/Self/Reynolds Center/Tennis/Soccer/track/student center
12-12-2003 03:12 PM
Blue&GoldGlasses Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

burns/skelly/rader/not getting necessary turnarounds started years ago/buzz/robinson vs. self/kragthorpe

still too early to tell about phillips. Student center? why would the AD have anything to do with that? Reynolds? I don't think Judy was the sole soul responsible for that, and it was promised to Tubby - during the previous AD's tenure.

soccer, track, tennis - non revenue sports, and the biggest chunk of that can be credited to Michael Case and the tennis coach.
12-14-2003 11:21 PM
Blue&GoldGlasses Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Goat - I don't prefer to be the board ******, but I do like to try and keep things in perspective. I love TU athletics, bottom line - like a lot of other people that post here do, but there are a lot of people that are totalitarian in their views on TU, on Judy, on JP, on anything that doesn't conform with the opinions of some main posters and people with an 'inside' slant.

My take on JP from the other board that sadly will probably be out of business soon... FUNNY - one of the board admins replied to me with 'excellent post' yet I was blacklisted... WD is a little sensitive it seems.

TULSAFAN
user profile
Post #103 TUfan1, could you put some insight from Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the players perception on what is going on with this team and with the coaching. How do the players and coaches get along? I realize this is putting you in a compromising position and perhaps you would want to pass on this. Perhaps, you don't know.

Posted on 12/11 1:46 PM | IP: Logged

coppellcane
user profile
Post #3 Re: TUfan1, could you put some insight from Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by TULSAFAN:
the players perception on what is going on with this team and with the coaching. How do the players and coaches get along? I realize this is putting you in a compromising position and perhaps you would want to pass on this. Perhaps, you don't know.

Just read the thread on the old board named "are we reloaded" or something like that.

One of Tufan's post says basically, We "reloaded" the players. We have the players. Now...what's left?

Then someone posted something about JP being a great rep and Tufan's reponse was something like being a great rep and a good coach do not always go hand in hand.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to read between lines. Better hurry up tho and read it before the cat is out of bag and the thread is deleted.

Posted on 12/11 1:55 PM | IP: Logged

coppellcane
user profile
Post #4 Besides don't think you are going... Reply

...to get an answer from TUFAN anytime soon.

I read on the Boise board that she left for Turkey this morning. To see said KJ i presume.

Posted on 12/11 2:29 PM | IP: Logged

Blue&GoldGlasses
user profile
Post #6 Re: Besides don't think you are going... Reply

It could just be the fact that some people might have expected JP to magically transform a decent cast of undersized college players into first round draft picks... could somebody grab a magic wand for JP please? Thats all we really need - a little magic. Maybe a potion to make a listed 6'7" player TRULY stand 6'7"? Maybe a magical charm to change a jersey number into ppg? Maybe a lock of hair to send a few people from the past couple years to the big league instead of Europe?

I'm not saying JP is the best coach in the world by any means - but I think some people make it apparent how 'objective' they are about some stances.

My take on JP - people are griping about this year - ok, what did anyone expect? I and a few others said at the beginning of the year this would be a rebuilding year and we'd be back strong next year - we all got blasted for it. I didn't want this year to be a rebuilding year, but it is - I'd rather us be ranked #1 and undefeated - but there are always ups and downs. We lost 5 sr's - we have 3 players back that got any time at all - and a cast of relative unknowns.

People gripe about recruiting - lets keep this in perspective - Tulsa has never in recent history signed a mcd's AA - we've always signed marginal players, or hidden gems or diamonds in the rough if you prefer - and we've excelled through our coaching. Look at Tubby Smith - people gripe about his recruiting every year, but the man can flat out coach. This year is not the tell all for JP's coaching ability - I think next year is. Maybe even the year after - give the man a chance to have his full cast on the court.

Conversely - my problem with JP at hiring was the fact that ALL the players were publicly supporting him for the job - he was buddies w/ them - the guy they could go to. I don't see that as being a redeeming quality for a D-1 coach - most young men need a boot in the bottom to get going, and I just didn't see JP back then as being the in your face disciplinarian like Self was - I had players tell me Self was a flat out a-hole in practice, but he got a response - he got them to hustle and play hard. I don't know if JP has a problem here or not - haven't been to a practice - but that is how I saw it back then, and from the way the team has been playing so soft, it seems that might be the case now. That by the way is just my opinion - I won't claim to have any inside knowledge of this where I honestly don't.

Bottom line - I don't like losing - I hated losing to OU and I hated losing more to ORU - but this is going to be a tough year. Honestly, we'll be lucky to make the NIT - and no I don't think that is OK - but it is fact and as a fan you can either jump ship now or you can support the team. I'm going to keep supporting this team.

Posted on 12/11 4:22 PM | IP: Logged

TUCatbird

user profile
Tulsa
T.H.A. Sophomore
Post #106 Re: Besides don't think you are going... Reply

Excellent post, B&G! And you may be on target on JP being too much "Mr. Nice Guy" at this point. I'm sure he's working against his personality type in trying to toughen up, but I think he's addressing that issue. I still believe this team will (as JP's teams seem always to do) play its best ball when it counts - in March!
This post was edited on 12/11 4:51 PM

Posted on 12/11 4:48 PM | IP: Logged

coppellcane
user profile
Post #5 Re: Besides don't think you are going... Reply

So funny that apologist equate being unhappy with jumping ship. I haven't read one thread where someone said, fire JP, this team sucks, I am not happy etc. where the person said screw this team I am not supporting it.

The fact remains that someone that is dating an ex-player has made comments that point to JP not being a good coach. That is fact and you can try and spin it anyway you want, but that doesn't change FACT!

Posted on 12/11 5:10 PM | IP: Logged

Blue&GoldGlasses
user profile
Post #7 silly fella Reply

I posted earlier in the week or last week for her to go ahead and spit it out - whatever her take is on the situation, but she not only won't reply to me, she won't reply to that subject.

I think if someone is going to spout insider info and that there is a specific problem, they should back it up. Otherwise, those posts are just as worthy to be deleted as any other.

I hardly consider myself an apologist by the way - I'm nto happy with the teams performance right now - but calling for the coaches head when there is no way to know what is going on for sure is premature.

Posted on 12/11 5:15 PM | IP: Logged

coppellcane
user profile
Post #6 unlogical fella Reply

And acting like someone that questions JP is somehow jumping ship is presumptuous. I think I am going to do both. You do realize that is possible right?

Posted on 12/11 5:27 PM | IP: Logged

hvhurricane
user profile
Post #13 Re: unlogical fella Reply

I can tell you when JP was an assistant to BS he was not "Mr Nice Guy" on the court. BS looked to him for help on the court more than the other assistants. He apparently took over that role when Buzz was the coach and has kept it since then with the players. Now, with all of the young players, it is time for him to be more of assertive with his players to set the tone for their careers. He is not there to "get along with the players." A coach, like a boss, has to seperate emotional feelings sometimes to get the job done. If the players don't like it then they are free to go elsewhere. Like it or not, this is the way it is in D1.

Posted on 12/11 5:56 PM | IP: Logged

MikeytheClone

user profile
Post #23 Re: TUfan1, could you put some insight from Reply

Some posters apparently do not know John Phillips. You can be a great coach and not be an A--=hole. He is one of the most competive people I know, he hates to lose, but he is even tempered, very fair D-1 coach. His players hate to disappoint him, and play hard for time on the floor. Does he make mistakes? Sure he does, but you cannot be successful in life unless you do make mistakes, and learn from them. Does he know about this board, sure he does, does your comments concern him, sure they do, is he going to change his coaching style, Hell No!!

Posted on 12/11 6:03 PM | IP: Logged

dvctulsa

user profile
Post #6 Re: unlogical fella Reply

By doing both are you being presumptuous AND jumping ship?I may be wrong, but it sounds that way to me.

Posted on 12/11 6:49 PM | IP: Logged

Blue&GoldGlasses
user profile
Post #8 silly fella #2 Reply

I don't think there is anything wrong with questioning things - I think a healthy dose of public/fan base discontent is healthy from time to time - it certainly cures complacency! If there is an issue, I think JP will get it corrected - I am sure he and the team are aware of the growing unrest, and I hope they're taking their jobs seriously enough to work hard and right the ship.

Posted on 12/12 9:28 AM | IP: Logged

3fortu
user profile
Post #14 Re: Besides don't think you are going... Reply

B&G great post.

Posted on 12/12 10:03 AM | IP: Logged

pinaction
user profile
Post #6 Just my take... Reply

When JP was first hired, somebody talked to Self about the hiring. One of his quotes was "John Phillips will be a better coach in 3 years than he is now." This is year three, however years 1 and 2 he had a stable full of experienced studs. That made it easier. This is his first team with a bunch of younger inexperienced players and I believe he is encountering problems that he hasn't encountered before. I believe he will learn and get better and the team will learn and get better. This may not turn out to be as good a year as we all hoped but I'm going to give him and the team to get better. Even if this turns out to be a down year, I think next year could be great and I will be patient.

Posted on 12/12 11:47 AM | IP: Logged

TUfan1

user profile
All over the place
T.H.A. Junior
Post #275 You can read between the lines but there are some things that just Reply

cannot be said and it does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out either. (BTW-- this post is not just in response to you coppell, but
12-14-2003 11:27 PM
TUDIEHARD Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

if you actually think I am going to read all of that........you r crazy........
12-15-2003 01:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.