New development at Texas A&M!!!!!!
07-24-2021 01:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: New development at Texas A&M!!!!!!
(07-24-2021 01:06 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Good read!!!

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/A...168191755/

The ACC may not be dead yet.
07-24-2021 06:43 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(07-24-2021 06:43 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(07-24-2021 01:06 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Good read!!!

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/A...168191755/

The ACC may not be dead yet.

What does this have to do with the ACC?
07-24-2021 08:05 AM
PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
Understandably, they can't abide UT. We would gladly welcome back the Aggies to the Big XII.

Who would you like to bring along? MU, Ark, and LSU? Or?
07-24-2021 08:17 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
This could be the Aggies making a performance of opposing the move, so that they can say "we tried to stop it!" when boosters vent about how much they hate the move.
07-24-2021 08:38 AM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
I think it’s lot of noise making, but where else would they get insane SEC money? And if they pulled off some kind of legal stunt or something that did block it, all they’d do is royally piss off the rest of the SEC who looked forward to even higher conference dominance.
07-24-2021 09:07 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
It's purely histrionics based on an erroneous assumption.

No SEC school knew a thing about this until the Houston Chronicle broke the story. Then the AD called boosters saying they had been kept in the dark. They were! Every SEC member school was! But not the presidents who are sworn to absolute secrecy on all incomplete membership processes. Of course their AD hadn't been told. Nobody's AD knew. You would think the AD would know the protocol! Apparently not, or maybe he wanted to start a crap show?

When Oklahoma and Texas notify the Big 12 and apply publicly then the presidents can at least acknowledge the process is ongoing.

This happens normally everywhere but apparently at A&M. The Aggie president has been hamstrung by this Bozo's actions and the resulting histrionics. But kudos to A&M's president.

Claims: Nobody knew. Answer: Only the presidents knew.
Claims: SEC promised us no more Texas schools. Answer: No they didn't. It's not in your contract. Your AD and President at the time you joined told you that A&M was the only Texas school in the SEC and that was true. Nobody said you would always be the only Texas school in the SEC. In fact Slive once said that the SEC would welcome any or all of the three large Texas publics. You twisted it into exclusivity.
Claims: SEC promised us advantages. Answer: Your President said you would have advantages with an SEC membership. You did. The SEC didn't make that statement.

Everything done so far is right by the book. When Texas made it public on this coming Monday, then would have been the time to protest. But in the SEC you have 1 vote. I'm told there are 13 for and your president is against. Now that's how things work for adults in a democratic process, so accept it like men.

And one more thing, any school's chat room or student blog is hardly a reliable unbiased source, just saying. And the SEC is not short of applicants wanting to make 75 million in media revenue. I'm more than sure that Oklahoma and Texas would be happy with Kansas, and LSU would be relieved.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2021 10:04 AM by JRsec.)
07-24-2021 09:55 AM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
Is A&M posturing in order to force the SEC to move them away from Texas in division or pod alignment? I could see that blowing up on them, as it would cause them to lose face. It would look like they're running away from Texas and running away from the rivalry.
07-24-2021 10:18 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-24-2021 10:18 AM)johnintx Wrote:  Is A&M posturing in order to force the SEC to move them away from Texas in division or pod alignment? I could see that blowing up on them, as it would cause them to lose face. It would look like they're running away from Texas and running away from the rivalry.
It reminds me of an old religious joke. Old Church of Christ folks believed if you weren't in their denomination you were going to hell. So one of their top members died and was ushered into Heaven and placed in a small room. A Methodist from his home town had passed the same day and had been behind him in line at the Pearly Gates and upon entering all of Heaven was opened to him. He inquired about his friend. St Peter told him he could never see him, to which the Methodist said I thought Heaven was perfect. St Peter said it is but some people's understanding of perfect is much more limited and in his heaven you can't be here.

A&M has it better than ever. But their appreciation of football heaven is remarkably limited. Limited to the point of forgetting bitter rivals make sweet victories. I didn't know so many could look so hard for something to be unhappy about.
07-24-2021 10:44 AM
johnintx Offline
1st String

When A&M moved to the SEC nine years ago, they moved to a more stable conference and made more money. Those were good reasons to make the move. A&M has been good for the SEC, and the SEC has been good for A&M.

Having lived around Aggies for most of my adult life, though, I've learned that the move to the SEC for them is about much more than money, competition, and stability. It's about identity. It's about an identity separate from the University of Texas. It's about the ability to make decisions apart from the University of Texas. The opening words to their fight song, "Goodbye to Texas University" took on new life. Even today, when a prospective student takes a tour of the school, the first display at the welcome desk in the student center is a case of all 14 SEC football helmets. In my favorite BBQ joint in College Station, banners for each SEC school hang from the rafters. Those are just a couple of examples from all around Aggieland. No fan base has embraced the SEC like Texas A&M. It's not merely about being in the best football conference in the nation. It's about being the only representative of the state of Texas in that conference. It's about the Aggies doing their own thing in their own way. It's about being equal to Texas.

So when Texas comes in and steals the Aggies' thunder, the Aggies react adversely.
07-24-2021 10:50 AM
johnintx Offline
1st String

(07-24-2021 10:44 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-24-2021 10:18 AM)johnintx Wrote:  Is A&M posturing in order to force the SEC to move them away from Texas in division or pod alignment? I could see that blowing up on them, as it would cause them to lose face. It would look like they're running away from Texas and running away from the rivalry.
It reminds me of an old religious joke. Old Church of Christ folks believed if you weren't in their denomination you were going to hell. So one of their top members died and was ushered into Heaven and placed in a small room. A Methodist from his home town had passed the same day and had been behind him in line at the Pearly Gates and upon entering all of Heaven was opened to him. He inquired about his friend. St Peter told him he could never see him, to which the Methodist said I thought Heaven was perfect. St Peter said it is but some people's understanding of perfect is much more limited and in his heaven you can't be here.

A&M has it better than ever. But their appreciation of football heaven is remarkably limited. Limited to the point of forgetting bitter rivals make sweet victories. I didn't know so many could look so hard for something to be unhappy about.

You're right. And once they beat Texas for the first time in the SEC, they'll forget most of this.
07-24-2021 10:53 AM
Advertisement

PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
Depending how those SEC meetings go/are going, A&M could easily sit tight and maybe get a few concessions. But if not, I do think they will be offended to the point of at least looking elsewhere -- just like before. Their system does get a third of the land-trust funds, so they are not hurting for money.

Heck, they could come back to the Big XII and form the Southwest Division, bringing in SMU, etc. That would make a lot of people in TX very happy, and long term really help A&M with the state legislators, etc. Maybe even Ark would come back to it, and MU to the North -- MU took the chance to get away from UT previously, too. Heck, invite NU, CU, BYU, ... to eventually (re)join the North and rename it the Big 8 Division.

That would make a lot of people happy -- to have much of the Big 8 and SWC together. Fixing a big mistake from long a go when a direct merger should have happened.

It is good to have goals, or dreams, depending on your point-of-view!
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2021 03:03 PM by PlayBall!.)
07-24-2021 11:41 AM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
In other words, A&M: "Wah wah goo goo boo hoo."
07-24-2021 01:08 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(07-24-2021 09:55 AM)JRsec Wrote:  ... And the SEC is not short of applicants wanting to make 75 million in media revenue. I'm more than sure that Oklahoma and Texas would be happy with Kansas, and LSU would be relieved.

Oh, and so would the rest of the Little 8. Once they discovered Oklahoma and Texas is leaving, there's second best news they could receive ... after "oops, the politicians won't let us go" ... would be Texas A&M going bonkers and swapping places with Kansas in a fit of pique.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2021 01:59 PM by BruceMcF.)
07-24-2021 01:57 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Wow bunch of licensed internet psychologists telling us what we are allowed to feel.

How helpful

Yes. We are pissed beyond belief. Your fan base would be too. JR and his Auburn Tigers would be livid if the SEC just let in Bama. He can claim he’d “be an adult” about it but Auburn would be melting down like Chernobyl all over the place. Same goes for the rest of you. Not one of you would be reacting rationally and “like a grown man” if your hated rival whose program was on life support was suddenly given a new lease on life at your expense by your own conference. NONE OF YOU would say “oh well at least we’re getting a higher paycheck so that’s okay!”

We are pissed

We are venting our anger and our frustration just like all of you would in our situation

Yes we will be fine in the long run and we are not seriously contemplating leaving the SEC no matter how betrayed we feel at the moment. So kindly stop lecturing us on what “the right way” is to handle news like this.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2021 03:11 PM by 10thMountain.)
07-24-2021 02:52 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

You haven't been around Aggies long enough!04-cheers

And Auburn doesn't have the little brother syndrome like A&M does.
07-24-2021 02:55 PM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
(07-24-2021 02:55 PM)bullet Wrote:  

You think your unearned arrogance is going to be welcomed in the SEC?

We’re all actually looking forward to the massive ass kickings we’re all going to deliver to that **** eating grin of yours
07-24-2021 03:01 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-24-2021 10:50 AM)johnintx Wrote:  When A&M moved to the SEC nine years ago, they moved to a more stable conference and made more money. Those were good reasons to make the move. A&M has been good for the SEC, and the SEC has been good for A&M.

Having lived around Aggies for most of my adult life, though, I've learned that the move to the SEC for them is about much more than money, competition, and stability. It's about identity. It's about an identity separate from the University of Texas. It's about the ability to make decisions apart from the University of Texas. The opening words to their fight song, "Goodbye to Texas University" took on new life. Even today, when a prospective student takes a tour of the school, the first display at the welcome desk in the student center is a case of all 14 SEC football helmets. In my favorite BBQ joint in College Station, banners for each SEC school hang from the rafters. Those are just a couple of examples from all around Aggieland. No fan base has embraced the SEC like Texas A&M. It's not merely about being in the best football conference in the nation. It's about being the only representative of the state of Texas in that conference. It's about the Aggies doing their own thing in their own way. It's about being equal to Texas.

So when Texas comes in and steals the Aggies' thunder, the Aggies react adversely.

Yeah and that's one reason they've been so loved and well received in the SEC. What they should know is that everything about them is refreshingly unique and they have their own identity in spades and nothing Texas could possibly do takes that away. And in the SEC they are absolutely equal in every way. They have to trust us on this. Sankey will be in charge not Austin and no other school. The SEC foremost is a business syndicate with a CEO and board of directors (presidents) and we do what is best for the whole not the individual.
07-24-2021 04:50 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-24-2021 02:52 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Wow bunch of licensed internet psychologists telling us what we are allowed to feel.

How helpful

Yes. We are pissed beyond belief. Your fan base would be too. JR and his Auburn Tigers would be livid if the SEC just let in Bama. He can claim he’d “be an adult” about it but Auburn would be melting down like Chernobyl all over the place. Same goes for the rest of you. Not one of you would be reacting rationally and “like a grown man” if your hated rival whose program was on life support was suddenly given a new lease on life at your expense by your own conference. NONE OF YOU would say “oh well at least we’re getting a higher paycheck so that’s okay!”

We are pissed

We are venting our anger and our frustration just like all of you would in our situation

Yes we will be fine in the long run and we are not seriously contemplating leaving the SEC no matter how betrayed we feel at the moment. So kindly stop lecturing us on what “the right way” is to handle news like this.

Yeah. I guess that's why Florida sponsored FSU's admission in 1991 and nominated them in 2011 and why South Carolina wanted to nominate Clemson in 2011. In fact both so emphatic that Slive had to ask them not to do that until A&M and Mizzou were added so we could renegotiate. The SEC is a business. You are entitled to hate a rival. No problem there. But no member is entitled to try to thwart a business move of the majority. It's why we are equal and don't decide money matters emotionally and when it involves a rival in a 14 member conference 12 other presidents decide what to do if you and your rival are at odds.
07-24-2021 05:00 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(07-24-2021 03:01 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  
(07-24-2021 02:55 PM)bullet Wrote:  

You think your unearned arrogance is going to be welcomed in the SEC?

We’re all actually looking forward to the massive ass kickings we’re all going to deliver to that **** eating grin of yours

Find one or two other that are less than happy with Texas and propose a 2-3 school trade with the ACC. Then you will be special again.
07-24-2021 05:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.