Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If UCF, Cincy & UH join the Big 12 does Navy go Indy?
CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
If UCF, Cincy & UH join the Big 12 does Navy go Indy?
I’d have to think Navy could cobble together a better schedule as an independent than sticking with annual games with Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, USF, SMU, ECU and Temple. And if the American loses UCF, Houston, Cincinnati and Navy, do the remaining 7 schools only take 3 replacements to get back to 10, or do they add 5 to get back to 12? If it’s just 3, I’m thinking 2 of 3 would probably be Old Dominion, UAB and then maybe Marshall, for tradition, or Georgia State, to get into Atlanta? If it’s 5, I’d 3 of the preceding 4, as well as Louisiana and App. State, even if they don’t add new states or eyeballs to the footprint and aren’t great at hoops, purely on football strength.
09-02-2021 04:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
RE: If UCF, Cincy & UH join the Big 12 does Navy go Indy?
I hope not. It should make Army want to jump in, they got to feel they can compete w/ this version of the AAC
09-02-2021 04:10 PM
Owls9878 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple
No. AAC invites AF, Army as football only, UAB and ODU as all sports members. VCU and Dayton added as basketball only. Done.
09-02-2021 04:11 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(09-02-2021 04:11 PM)Owls9878 Wrote:  No. AAC invites AF, Army as football only, UAB and ODU as all sports members. VCU and Dayton added as basketball only. Done.

That is quite a lot for two openings to declare openings as "done" lol.
09-02-2021 04:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-02-2021 04:08 PM)CarlSmithCenter Wrote:  I’d have to think Navy could cobble together a better schedule as an independent than sticking with annual games with Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, USF, SMU, ECU and Temple.

Navy I thought preferred a weaker G5 as opposed to a stronger one.

They are staying on board.
09-02-2021 04:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BePcr07 Online
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
If the AAC does not expand with Rice, then I think I think Navy is gone. If the AAC expands with Rice then I give it 50/50. The competition of the AAC will drop and so eventually will the bowl tie-ins.
09-02-2021 04:18 PM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
(09-02-2021 04:08 PM)CarlSmithCenter Wrote:  I’d have to think Navy could cobble together a better schedule as an independent than sticking with annual games with Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, USF, SMU, ECU and Temple. And if the American loses UCF, Houston, Cincinnati and Navy, do the remaining 7 schools only take 3 replacements to get back to 10, or do they add 5 to get back to 12? If it’s just 3, I’m thinking 2 of 3 would probably be Old Dominion, UAB and then maybe Marshall, for tradition, or Georgia State, to get into Atlanta? If it’s 5, I’d 3 of the preceding 4, as well as Louisiana and App. State, even if they don’t add new states or eyeballs to the footprint and aren’t great at hoops, purely on football strength.

I posted this in another thread last night.

(09-01-2021 11:48 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  Some thoughts on Navy going independent.
The original poster had it as a question; it seems like every subsequent poster took Navy independence as an assumption - that assumption is flawed.

Navy absolutely COULD go independent.
Navy didn't sign up for the Big East in 2012 because of a lack of success as an independent. In some ways, the environment today is better for an independent than it was a decade ago.

So Navy could go independent IF the AAC got TOTALLY blown up. Honestly, I don't know that losing 4 teams would hit that threshhold. 5 or 6 teams leaving, sure, but if there is a core or 7 AAC teams to whom we've committed for a decade, that might be enough to stick with.
Navy would definitely NOT be interested in a smaller, regionalized conference. The expanded coast to coast Big East (SDSU, Boise, TCU) that we signed on to in 2012 fit our national program and our national stature - going smaller and regional is counter to Navy's interests. A rebuilt AAC that still had a broader footprint would still be in Navy's interests.

Timelines factor in. I'm impressed with what UConn AD Benedict did to build schedules on SHORT timelines. But if things move fast, like less than five years lead time, it's a lot harder to get teams to schedule Navy than to schedule a UConn automatic win.

Bowl tie-ins factor in. In the AAC, Navy has gotten bowl bids and wins against three contract-bowl-conference teams; Army's independent outlook is Independence Bowl or "pool"...I prefer our AAC options.

But the biggest point comes down to "know your why" When Navy joined the BigEast, we had bowls arranged five years out but the next bowl arrangements were a big question; scheduling was getting harder. But the strategic reason Navy is in the AAC today was to be in the right place to remain relevant at the highest level of college football. We signed on to a BCS-auto-qual conference. That rug got pulled out and Navy has been all-in on the AAC P6. That effort looked great when a 6+6 playoff seemed imminent.

There are several worst-case scenarios for the AAC as a conference. But staying in a "weak 6th" AAC -- rather than the P6 AAC we helped build -- may still be better than being the best of an increasingly irrelevant group of independents.

Don't assume that Navy will go independent instead of remaining with the #6 conference.
09-02-2021 04:21 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
With the 12 team playoff it is most sensible to move Army Navy to rivalry weekend in a stand alone slot, maybe BlackFriday or noon Saturday.
09-02-2021 04:25 PM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

(09-02-2021 04:17 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  
(09-02-2021 04:08 PM)CarlSmithCenter Wrote:  I’d have to think Navy could cobble together a better schedule as an independent than sticking with annual games with Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, USF, SMU, ECU and Temple.

You thought wrong.
Not that Navy might stay, but that the reasoning would be "Yay, less challenging!"

In January 2012, Navy signed on to BCS-Auto-qual conference Big East. Many were wringing their hands, but Navy wasn't going to not make the right move because it might be hard.

Navy's move was based on relevance - staying at the top level of the college football world.

So, today, independence likely wouldn't move us toward that strategic goal. If the playoff expands to twelve teams, independent Navy would be hard pressed to be #12 and an at-large, so would be doomed to irrelevance. But AAC Navy has been in the CPF NY6 conversation Thanksgiving weekend or later three out of six years - if the expanded playoff is still 6+6 AAC, even if it is "weak #6" instead of P6, is better for the strategic goals.
09-02-2021 04:28 PM
Advertisement

slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

(09-02-2021 04:25 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  With the 12 team playoff it is most sensible to move Army Navy to rivalry weekend in a stand alone slot, maybe BlackFriday or noon Saturday.

It is most sensible to keep Army Navy just as it is, getting eight million viewers on a stand alone weekend then starting the playoff. It is also most sensible to never bring Army into our conference.
Thanks for coming to my TED talk
09-02-2021 04:30 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
Are you guys sure that AAC will do the minimum and only go to 10 fb/bb schools? Most of you were only thinking 2 w/ the B12 and it's likely gonna be 4. Also what if Army is one of the 10 schools, who's coming for all sports to counter that? You sure VCU would come? Seems like strength in numbers. I think the MWC will try to get SMU maybe Tulsa. UAB, Rice, Marshall, Army(fb) 12 fb, 11 bb. I don't think VCU or Dayton would leave the A-10 for this.
09-02-2021 04:36 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
If the AAC Big 3 are gone and the MWC is untouched, the MWC will be the 6th ranked conference most years.
09-02-2021 04:40 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(09-02-2021 04:11 PM)Owls9878 Wrote:  No. AAC invites AF, Army as football only, UAB and ODU as all sports members. VCU and Dayton added as basketball only. Done.

Army had a bad experience in CUSA. It is happy as an independent and already has a bowl-tie in of its own.

https://goarmywestpoint.com/news/2019/10...cycle.aspx
09-02-2021 04:42 PM
Advertisement

PicksUp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP, Texas
(09-02-2021 04:28 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  
(09-02-2021 04:17 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

You thought wrong.
Not that Navy might stay, but that the reasoning would be "Yay, less challenging!"

In January 2012, Navy signed on to BCS-Auto-qual conference Big East. Many were wringing their hands, but Navy wasn't going to not make the right move because it might be hard.

Navy's move was based on relevance - staying at the top level of the college football world.

So, today, independence likely wouldn't move us toward that strategic goal. If the playoff expands to twelve teams, independent Navy would be hard pressed to be #12 and an at-large, so would be doomed to irrelevance. But AAC Navy has been in the CPF NY6 conversation Thanksgiving weekend or later three out of six years - if the expanded playoff is still 6+6 AAC, even if it is "weak #6" instead of P6, is better for the strategic goals.

Are we sure the AAC would be better than the MWC if Houston, UCF and Cincinnati bolt?
09-02-2021 04:51 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
It’s a tough call.

Navy would have no problem scheduling as an Indy and could earn more money. They could also play a truly national schedule that includes the West Coast, somewhere they can’t really play in the regular season.

Navy has zero shot at the expanded CFP but only a tenuous one if they win the AAC. In terms of overall quality, the AAC will be fighting the MWC for 6th best. But an undefeated C-USA, MAC, or SBC could hop them both under the right conditions.

Overall, I think Navy likes the combination of schools they play in the AAC but they certainly don’t NEED the AAC.
09-02-2021 04:54 PM
e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass
(09-02-2021 04:36 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  Are you guys sure that AAC will do the minimum and only go to 10 fb/bb schools? Most of you were only thinking 2 w/ the B12 and it's likely gonna be 4. Also what if Army is one of the 10 schools, who's coming for all sports to counter that? You sure VCU would come? Seems like strength in numbers. I think the MWC will try to get SMU maybe Tulsa. UAB, Rice, Marshall, Army(fb) 12 fb, 11 bb. I don't think VCU or Dayton would leave the A-10 for this.

I've been saying it pretty much in all the threads mentioning using A10 schools to backfill basketball:

The only A10 that would join this drastically weakened basketball conference (minus UCONN, Houston, and Cinci) would be UMass as an all sports invite.
09-02-2021 04:57 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-02-2021 04:36 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  Are you guys sure that AAC will do the minimum and only go to 10 fb/bb schools? Most of you were only thinking 2 w/ the B12 and it's likely gonna be 4. Also what if Army is one of the 10 schools, who's coming for all sports to counter that? You sure VCU would come? Seems like strength in numbers. I think the MWC will try to get SMU maybe Tulsa. UAB, Rice, Marshall, Army(fb) 12 fb, 11 bb. I don't think VCU or Dayton would leave the A-10 for this.

I'm not 100% sure. The XII invites aren't even a done deal yet so we won't hear any direction from the AAC until they are.

10 would keep the per school value higher. Its going to be a wide geography even at 12 or 14 members.
09-02-2021 04:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.