Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA 2021 Championship Game! UTSA vs WKU
Bookmark and Share
wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
CUSA 2021 Championship Game! UTSA vs WKU
This should be a fun rematch! Everyone expected this to happen and Im selfishly glad it did 03-drunk
11-27-2021 11:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
RE: CUSA 2021 Championship Game! UTSA vs WKU
(11-27-2021 11:00 PM)wkuhilltopperfan Wrote:  This should be a fun rematch! Everyone expected this to happen and Im selfishly glad it did 03-drunk

Go TOPS!!!!
11-27-2021 11:08 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
(11-27-2021 11:00 PM)wkuhilltopperfan Wrote:  This should be a fun rematch! Everyone expected this to happen and Im selfishly glad it did 03-drunk

Too soon bro. 03-weeping
11-27-2021 11:31 PM
Red Death Offline
Bench Warmer

Our defense is a lot better now than when we played UTSA earlier in the year. I must admit that I have no idea where their D stands compared to that game. Both were terrible on that October Saturday.
11-28-2021 12:06 AM
goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

I Root For: marshall
Eh, if not for wells getting hurt, wouldn't have happened, but either one of us would crush utsa. They can't even beat UNT
11-28-2021 01:03 AM
davi78239 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTSA
The loss to UNT will either do one of two things. Ignite us for Fridays game or send us in a tailspin where disaster happens and we lose out the rest of the way (CUSA championship and bowl game) Not gonna lie. Was really dreading the WKU rematch. Your QB is scary and if the defense has improved, yikes. The home crowd will definitely have to be the X factor like it was vs UAB and the S. Miss game.
11-28-2021 02:44 AM
Advertisement

BlueraiderJT Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MTSU
I'll just say what I said over a month ago. WKU is the best complete team in CUSA. Their offense is an absolute buzzsaw. Their D doesn't get enough credit but they disrupt teams and get them off schedule to the point where they cause mistakes which is all they have to do with the offense they have. UTSA will have their hands full. gonna be a great game.
11-28-2021 06:56 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(11-28-2021 02:44 AM)davi78239 Wrote:  The loss to UNT will either do one of two things. Ignite us for Fridays game or send us in a tailspin where disaster happens and we lose out the rest of the way (CUSA championship and bowl game) Not gonna lie. Was really dreading the WKU rematch. Your QB is scary and if the defense has improved, yikes. The home crowd will definitely have to be the X factor like it was vs UAB and the S. Miss game.

Your worst case scenario would be very similar to the way Marshall finished last season. Wierd.
11-28-2021 07:34 AM
wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

(11-27-2021 11:31 PM)rileylives Wrote:  

Too soon bro. 03-weeping

I should have said everyone expected this after the first matchup between UTSA and WKU. But good luck to the Herd in your bowl game! I respect the Herd and even hosted Goherd24 at my home of all people during the solar eclipse few years back. Lol
11-28-2021 09:02 AM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
(11-28-2021 01:03 AM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  Eh, if not for wells getting hurt, wouldn't have happened, but either one of us would crush utsa. They can't even beat UNT

You do realize you lost to MTSU, UAB, and WKU, all of whom we’ve beaten, right? And stop blaming your loss on losing Wells. If you had lost by 10 points, you’d have a case. You lost by 32 though. One player out for half the game doesn’t make a 32-point difference unless your team is truly that bad, which I highly doubt.
11-28-2021 09:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrushMI Offline
1st String

Line UTSA -2.5
11-28-2021 10:25 AM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

Thought for a few games now that Western was the best team in CUSA...

Once the Western defense got the confidence that they could play and make stops. If you look over the last 7 games I believe Western's defense will be ranked at the top of CUSA or #2 at worse and not just scoring but also running defense.

This Western season has played out just as I saw it and said that one of two things could happen. With all of the new players that if offense or defense was slow out of the gate....

Western could start the season 1-4 and still win CUSA and I believe that is what will happen.

Or if both are hitting out of the gate this would be a special season for Western...a season like UTSA enjoyed. It took time for the defense to catch up to the Western offense but during CUSA play this Western defense has done just that.

No disrespect to UTSA who I thought was the best team last year and heading into 2021 but unless Western starts having turnover problems in the championship game. I fully expect at the very least a 14 point Western win and championship #3

Confidence is just as important as talent and I think Western at this point in the season is clearly the best team in CUSA on both.
11-28-2021 10:26 AM
Rowdy's Castle Offline
2nd String

No doubt that both teams are trending in opposite directions. Until yesterday, UTSA had shown a resilience and toughness to overcome all adversity that came their way. I agree that we'll need to create turnovers to have a chance. Not sure how much the Dome crowd will disrupt the WKU offense but I can guarantee that it will be loud. Looking forward to the game. May the best team win.
11-28-2021 10:35 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(11-28-2021 01:03 AM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  Eh, if not for wells getting hurt, wouldn't have happened, but either one of us would crush utsa. They can't even beat UNT

Marshall was finished once Wells took the hit and not because it knocked him out of this game. Wells is not the same qb once a defense shakes his confidence and then he starts missing throws and gets the INTs...

after the hit I believe Wells would have been finished, either way.

Once Western decided to use the damn middle of the field that is usually open in a 2 deep coverage and Zappe's sweet spot and confidence builder...

this Western offense started hitting just as they have all season long.
It was a huge mistake on Western's part to go deep out of the gate then try to work the 12 to 15 yard sideline passes.

Once Western attacked the middle, Marshall's defense was finished because they could no longer sit in safety help on deep balls and had to back off of the sideline outs instead of press coverage because they had to respect the slants and curls over the middle of the field.

Might not have been a 30 point game but probably 14 point win. But if Western comes out attacking the short middle (7 to 10 yard) passes. This game would have played out different in the first half and Western wins by 21 to 24 points

Either way Wells was finished and once Western started playing "Western offense" Marshall was FINISHED.
11-28-2021 10:52 AM
wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

(11-28-2021 10:35 AM)Rowdys Castle Wrote:  No doubt that both teams are trending in opposite directions. Until yesterday, UTSA had shown a resilience and toughness to overcome all adversity that came their way. I agree that we'll need to create turnovers to have a chance. Not sure how much the Dome crowd will disrupt the WKU offense but I can guarantee that it will be loud. Looking forward to the game. May the best team win.

Could it be that UTSA came out of the gate hitting on cylinders but peaked early in the season while other teams took a while to gell and just caught up or now surpassed the UTSA talent level? I’ve always noticed in the past that teams that start strong sometimes struggle to finish strong or might limp across the line, you give everyone a whole season to figure you out.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2021 10:56 AM by wkuhilltopperfan.)
11-28-2021 10:55 AM
BlueRaiderBoy Offline
All American

I Root For: MTSU
(11-28-2021 06:56 AM)BlueraiderJT Wrote:  I'll just say what I said over a month ago. WKU is the best complete team in CUSA. Their offense is an absolute buzzsaw. Their D doesn't get enough credit but they disrupt teams and get them off schedule to the point where they cause mistakes which is all they have to do with the offense they have. UTSA will have their hands full. gonna be a great game.

Ditto, I say! Begrudgingly.
11-28-2021 11:02 AM
Advertisement

Rowdy's Castle Offline
2nd String

(11-28-2021 10:55 AM)wkuhilltopperfan Wrote:  
(11-28-2021 10:35 AM)Rowdys Castle Wrote:  No doubt that both teams are trending in opposite directions. Until yesterday, UTSA had shown a resilience and toughness to overcome all adversity that came their way. I agree that we'll need to create turnovers to have a chance. Not sure how much the Dome crowd will disrupt the WKU offense but I can guarantee that it will be loud. Looking forward to the game. May the best team win.

Could it be that UTSA came out of the gate hitting on cylinders but peaked early in the season while other teams took a while to gell and just caught up or now surpassed the UTSA talent level? I’ve always noticed in the past that teams that start strong sometimes struggle to finish strong or might limp across the line, you give everyone a whole season to figure you out.

Hard to say. I mean, we've only lost one game, and that came after an emotional game where we clinched our first ever division title. If we were ever going to have a letdown, yesterday was the day. I think it's just hard to sustain a high level of performance for 12 games.

I think teams have found our weaknesses. We've been gashed by the run the past 3 weeks. And we're susceptible to long passes on D. Our O-line has struggled the past 3 weeks as well. Might be fatigue, might be injuries, might be teams giving us their best punch.

I do think that WKU is peaking right now. They're going to be a really tough opponent.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2021 11:40 AM by Rowdy's Castle.)
11-28-2021 11:16 AM
Theflash Offline
1st String

I don’t think the crowd noise will affect WKU. They played on the road at Army and Mich. St. (big crowds) earlier in the year and it didn’t derail the offense.
11-28-2021 11:16 AM
WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(11-28-2021 10:52 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  

Marshall was finished once Wells took the hit and not because it knocked him out of this game. Wells is not the same qb once a defense shakes his confidence and then he starts missing throws and gets the INTs...

after the hit I believe Wells would have been finished, either way.

Once Western decided to use the damn middle of the field that is usually open in a 2 deep coverage and Zappe's sweet spot and confidence builder...

this Western offense started hitting just as they have all season long.
It was a huge mistake on Western's part to go deep out of the gate then try to work the 12 to 15 yard sideline passes.

Once Western attacked the middle, Marshall's defense was finished because they could no longer sit in safety help on deep balls and had to back off of the sideline outs instead of press coverage because they had to respect the slants and curls over the middle of the field.

Might not have been a 30 point game but probably 14 point win. But if Western comes out attacking the short middle (7 to 10 yard) passes. This game would have played out different in the first half and Western wins by 21 to 24 points

Either way Wells was finished and once Western started playing "Western offense" Marshall was FINISHED.

I always enjoy your analysis of games Guns. You see things many dont see and you avoid the typical biased view of diehard fans.

Although Wells going out definitely impacted the final score, before he went out, the momentum had already swung. Marshall got TD's on their first two drives but WKU stopped Marshall on the next two drives before Wells went out (he missed four straight passes). Before ZBan came in Zappe started hitting his passes and WKU was able to finally get on the board. I felt the momentum was swinging in WKU's favor and Zappe would start getting his mojo in full swing, which he did. Obviously, it would have been great for both teams to play with full rosters (Wells for Marshall and Ignot for WKU) but that wasnt to be. Regardless, next week is gonna be a battle. I imagine UTSA is going to be fired up after the loss to UNT and they have the home crowd.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2021 11:22 AM by WKUApollo.)
11-28-2021 11:18 AM
ClaudeFunston Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UNT

1) UNT has blown out 3 of their last 4 opponents. They are a different team when the running game is rolling.
2) NT/UTSA was a rivalry game. Crazy things always happen.
3) The weather was a factor in Denton and I think being a team that plays in a dome hurt UTSA yesterday.
4) The conference championship will be in a dome.
5) WKU scored 47 points in the 2nd half yesterday when Zappe got on a roll. Do you really think Wells would have been able to hang with him ? I don't.

I like WKU in the conference championship, only because I think Zappe is damn near unstoppable right now. But, UTSA will play much better.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2021 11:25 AM by ClaudeFunston.)
11-28-2021 11:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.