Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stan Drayton to be next Temple Head Coach
knightz03 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Temple
Stan Drayton to be next Temple Head Coach
I was really excited to bring back Fran Brown, but looks like this is a done deal.

Temple Zeroes in on making Texas Stan Drayton Next Football Head Coach.
12-15-2021 06:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
RE: Stan Drayton to be next Temple Head Coach
Reactions from Texas seems they are sorry to see him go. We did not hear that with Carey from NIU fans, quite the opposite. Congrats to our Owls FB team and Coach Drayton! Best of luck.
12-15-2021 07:34 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

04-cheers
12-15-2021 08:24 PM
NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

I Root For: ECU & the AAC
Congratulations Temple. Wow, they really took some time on this one.
12-15-2021 08:26 PM
justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
So...ummm...what happened with Fran Brown? Please tell me he said no and not that he wasn't offered the job.
12-15-2021 10:40 PM
Fishpro10987 Offline
1st String

I don't know what to make of this hire. Not too many position coaches can don the master headset and succeed right away. May have a coach with training wheels for a while. He supposedly was an outstanding recruiter, but the HC is at best a 'closer', not the main recruiter. AD Johnson making a 'safe' choice with a known (to him) entity? I'm in the 'wait and see' mode. Hope like hell he succeeds.
12-15-2021 10:48 PM
Advertisement

sfink16 Offline
All American

Can't be any worse than the previous coach. Good luck!
12-15-2021 10:58 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Much better than hiring a guy who took over a really strong program, had two really good years with the old guy's players, then had 4 or 5 years of mediocrity before going to Temple. I was never a fan of the Carey hire. Temple needs a guy with big-time recruiting experience, not someone who spent most of his career in the MAC and FCS. Hopefully he can coach, but I like the concept of this hire at least.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2021 11:00 PM by robertfoshizzle.)
12-15-2021 11:00 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Also, Drayton has a couple years of NFL experience, was the RGC/AHC at Texas, and has experience at OSU, Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi State, and Syracuse. So, on paper, this has potential to be a solid hire.
12-15-2021 11:02 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2021 10:48 PM)Fishpro10987 Wrote:  I don't know what to make of this hire. Not too many position coaches can don the master headset and succeed right away. May have a coach with training wheels for a while. He supposedly was an outstanding recruiter, but the HC is at best a 'closer', not the main recruiter. AD Johnson making a 'safe' choice with a known (to him) entity? I'm in the 'wait and see' mode. Hope like hell he succeeds.

Other than Dabo and PJ Fleck you mean.
12-15-2021 11:28 PM
Poseidon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulane
(12-15-2021 10:48 PM)Fishpro10987 Wrote:  I don't know what to make of this hire. Not too many position coaches can don the master headset and succeed right away. May have a coach with training wheels for a while. He supposedly was an outstanding recruiter, but the HC is at best a 'closer', not the main recruiter. AD Johnson making a 'safe' choice with a known (to him) entity? I'm in the 'wait and see' mode. Hope like hell he succeeds.

Ask Memphis about Larry Porter a RB coach from LSU. Curtis Johnson WRcoach for saints who was as Tulane before Fritz. Ask UTSA about Frank Wilson. Not a great track record. All of these were in conference the past 10 years.
12-15-2021 11:36 PM
Advertisement

Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Honest question. What happened to Temples' previous coach? Quit? Fired? When?
12-16-2021 03:30 AM
vick mike Offline
All American

(12-16-2021 03:30 AM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  Honest question. What happened to Temples' previous coach? Quit? Fired? When?

Fired the Monday after Thanksgiving.
12-16-2021 07:49 AM
TforTempleU Offline
1st String

Let’s go, time to get back to our winning ways
12-16-2021 08:27 AM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2021 11:36 PM)Poseidon Wrote:  

Ask Memphis about Larry Porter a RB coach from LSU. Curtis Johnson WRcoach for saints who was as Tulane before Fritz. Ask UTSA about Frank Wilson. Not a great track record. All of these were in conference the past 10 years.

Thomas Hammock, the HC after Carey at NIU just won the MAC and was co-oc for a year and that's it.
12-16-2021 09:24 AM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
That can't be right... Temple has had 7 head coaches in the past 11 years?!?!?!
12-16-2021 10:04 AM
Advertisement

Poseidon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulane
(12-16-2021 09:24 AM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(12-15-2021 11:36 PM)Poseidon Wrote:  

Thomas Hammock, the HC after Carey at NIU just won the MAC and was co-oc for a year and that's it.

I'm not dogging it just saying it's far more risky than hiring a sitting HC and marginally more risky that hiring a Coordinator.
12-16-2021 10:38 AM
k-vegasbuc Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Interesting hire, we have seen some guys recently have success that weren't coordinators before so hopefully this works out. I know that Shane Beamer at S. Carolina was really interested in the ECU job when we hired Montgomery and we basically dismissed him due to lack of coordinator experience and sure enough he looks like he's going to be really good at S. Carolina. Obviously Dabo's worked out well at Clemson as well so he just might be a sneaky good hire if not a sexy one.
12-16-2021 10:41 AM
vick mike Offline
All American

(12-16-2021 10:04 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  That can't be right... Temple has had 7 head coaches in the past 11 years?!?!?!

Mostly due to being successful. However, the two years and gone model is a problem, especially when a coach like Collins wins with the previous coach’s players (Matt Rhule). Collins underperformed with those players from a championship team and was a bad recruiter. Good for him getting to GT bad for them though. Addazio also used one successful year out of two to get the BC job. Carey was a complete failure and got a third year by blaming all of his problems on covid.
We will have to see what Drayton does. Temple has huge ground to make up with recruiting failures over the past two coaches (Carey and Collins) My expectations are high but tempered by the understanding that we have a very steep hill to climb. We need to be more competitive next year, though the win total is unlikely to change. Drayton will need at least 3 years to begin to see real improvement. Fans will need patience and coach will need a long term plan to success.
12-16-2021 11:08 AM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
Temple hires Texas' Stan Drayton as head coach... Called it back on (12-02-2021 08:19 AM)
https://sports.yahoo.com/temple-hires-te...vcJNwelaO9

My personal preference...
1. Keeler
1a. Cignetti
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2021 01:58 PM by GoOwls111.)
12-16-2021 01:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.